Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

https://abc7.com/why-ar15-semi-automatic-weapons-dangerous/13051721/

Disturbingly, in mass shootings, the AR-15 or the AR-15-style rifle seems to be the weapon of choice," Dr. Cornelia Griggs, a pediatric and critical care surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital, told ABC News. "That's not to say that there aren't other rifles that can cause quite a lot of damage in the human body, but this type of injury is devastating and unique to many military-grade weapons."

What's more, assault weapons can cause a process called cavitation to occur, meaning it creates a large cavity in the body, destroying tissues and organs.
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

It depends entirely on where you were shot and what projectile was used. You could be shot by a .223 green tip that would poke a hole in you in a place that heals well or you could take a .45 hollow point to the chest that put a grapefruit size wound cavity in you. There are a lot of factors that determine whether a gun shot is fatal. 

Just ask those kids and teachers in Uvalde! 

5 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

It depends entirely on where you were shot and what projectile was used. You could be shot by a .223 green tip that would poke a hole in you in a place that heals well or you could take a .45 hollow point to the chest that put a grapefruit size wound cavity in you. There are a lot of factors that determine whether a gun shot is fatal. 

Incorrect.  5.56 decapitates anything it hits.  Sounds crazy, I know, but you can look it up for yourself on several of the threads here. 

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

You’re really concerned about the important things. Lulz

I would agree.  

Edited by fattyflattie
Decimals is hard
  • Fuck You 1

"She's been mugged five times at gunpoint in Guatemala and I sat here and assured her this is a much safer place to be, and that may be, but it wasn't for her," said Jones. "Thirty-five years she survived in Guatemala. Took her two years to get killed here, at no fault of her own."

Nunez's mother Ana Linares arrived from Guatemala Tuesday.

Sitting next to Jones, she echoed sentiments that she thought her daughter would be safer in the U.S.

“It’s like an irony of life,” said Linares.

irony. that's one word to describe it. 

gotdamn.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

u4mab02arfbb1.jpg

Was just coming to post this.  Not sure I could open that box if it were the belongings of my son or daughter.

Wasn't Parkland shooting in 2018?  If so, why would the school still have the box?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Satchel said:

Maybe I just don’t understand freedom, but I don’t think you should be shot in the head and murdered because your husband flipped somebody off on the highway.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/woman-killed-in-apparent-road-rage-shooting-in-hurst-driver-sought-by-police/3293552/

We’re too busy going after overly hyped crimes when people are being murdered in front of us. Also don’t flip people off on a country of 400m guns and many are angry to begin with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We’re too busy going after overly hyped crimes when people are being murdered in front of us. Also don’t flip people off on a country of 400m guns and many are angry to begin with. 

If you must express yourself, give them the British two fingered salute. Angry mouth breathers are confused by the apparent peace sign and you enjoy the same satisfaction as the middle finger affords. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

If you must express yourself, give them the British two fingered salute. Angry mouth breathers are confused by the apparent peace sign and you enjoy the same satisfaction as the middle finger affords. 

I have a buddy who gets furious at other drivers. Practically seeing red. He doesn’t carry so I’m not worried about him shooting someone but I’ve told him to watch out in being the potential victim in these stories. Getting mad at another driver and expressing yourself has never helped someone.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have a buddy who gets furious at other drivers. Practically seeing red. He doesn’t carry so I’m not worried about him shooting someone but I’ve told him to watch out in being the potential victim in these stories. Getting mad at another driver and expressing yourself has never helped someone.

I got better with road rage after I lived in Dallas.  It's just pure chaos at all times and getting angry didn't help.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I got better with road rage after I lived in Dallas.  It's just pure chaos at all times and getting angry didn't help.

The better move is to give them a thumbs up with a super goofy smile and/or a round of applause.  To take it to the next level, pull up alongside them and mouth "I love you so much!"  This seems to confuse them and delect the more homicidal tendencies.

It's like stubbing your toe and just blurting out "Fuck!"  It's not premeditated, it just comes out before you know anything about it.  I'm like that with road rage, people on their phones or changing lanes in the middle of intersections with no signal, all that shit.  And I don't flip them off or swerve, but I catch myself speeding up to just get a look at what kind of asshole is capable of such reckless behavior.  But yeah if I pull up next to them at the next light or stuck in traffic, I give them a thumbs up.  I'll throw in a "You're doing terrific" if I think they can hear me.  

Just now at home for lunch, a dark Hispanic gentlemen in work gear came to the front door.  He was passing out his information for pruning season. I saw his work truck and his gear and thought,  "well this is an elaborate scheme just to come steal the stuff you can see through our front windows."  We chatted about oak wilt, I told him thanks but I do my own pruning so I know it gets sealed right, but if I have anything too high to reach-I'll give him a call later this summer.  As he walked off, I felt bad because my little neighborhood isn't so much progressive, but it's not narrow minded either.  It's highly educated and very safe.  And given the headlines lately, I want to warn guys like him which areas around here to avoid knocking on doors especially during the summer when more people are home during the day.  There's a massive MAGA pocket just south of me and a guy like him does not need to be knocking on those doors.  Sadly.  

Also, bummed to see just 5 more weeks left in summer break for my oldest.  In each of the last two school years, there was an active shooter warning (not drill) during the first month of school.  One was a kid who brought his dad's unsecured handgun to the middle school across the street from her elementary.  Following year was a random crazy guy in the woods behind her soccer/track area with a hunting rifle.  Plus another half dozen drills throughout the year.  But hey, nothing scars a kid like knowing there's weird books in the library she's not gonna read anyway, amirite fellow white christians?  

• Like 2

I’m good friends with the pastor of the church where the mother regularly attended. Utterly shitty story, utterly shitty back story, our society does nothing to support or help broken people, repeat.
  • Like 1

It’s early so no idea yet if this qualifies as a mass shooting, but it appears my number was called in today’s edition of the daily American gun violence lottery.

My daughter is there working right now. I learned about it when she texted me a bit ago.

Legacy Portland Hospital on Lockdown after Shooting

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 6

On 7/12/2023 at 12:10 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Like rolling downtown and having a left exit from the freeway which means I have to cut over to the fast lane in a 30 year old pickup, while people flip me off, tailgate me and probably a host of other things I ignore.  Shits dangerous and people are stone cold stupid.  Sure, let's arm everybody so they can hold their own gladiator freeway games.  

When I feel my temperature rise, I take out the bike.  It's safer for everybody, especially my wife.  Right or wrong, it's one thing to have a temper, it's another to drag people around you into your fits.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m good friends with the pastor of the church where the mother regularly attended. Utterly shitty story, utterly shitty back story, our society does nothing to support or help broken people, repeat.

I love hearing that we need psyche wards and places for mental help, while voting against all of it.  

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You got a neg rep two weeks ago and now you're upset about it?  Maybe take a break.

Or about 8 in a row today.  

36 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

No problem just started going through this thread and every post you made kind of sucked.

Big mad my hobby is sacrosanct?

• Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, royiv said:

Collecting stamps is a hobby. Amassing weapons is a tad different.

he probably has a montage of every shot of the gun basement in "Tremors" that he masturbates to every night. his hobby is a child-killing hoot!

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

People Get Scared and Buy a Gun. Here’s What Happens Next.

Gift link, so everyone should be able to read it, but here's the text anyway

Violent crime — homicides, robberies, gun assaults — has begun to fall from pandemic-era levels. But people are scared. According to the Pew Research Center, almost 60 percent of Americans today say that violent crime is a “very big problem.” In New York State, four out of ten residents tell pollsters they’ve “never been this worried about my personal safety.”

Republican politicians have been amping up these fears, blaming the violence on soft-on-crime policies and the “defund the police” movement, which they accuse Democrats of supporting. Democratic politicians have been pointing out that crime rates are actually low, relative to their peak in the early 1990s.

Yet social scientists have long been aware of a paradox that doesn’t fit well with either narrative: Fear of crime itself may make public safety worse.

Consider guns. The desire for protection is one of the main reasons people buy them. Yet having a gun around not only increases the risk of suicide and accidental shootings, it can also contribute to a community’s crime problems.

The economist Stephen Billings looked at residents of Charlotte, N.C. and the surrounding county who received concealed-carry permits. He found that during the year he tracked them, people who had a permit were no less likely to be victims of violent crime than people who didn’t have one. But the concealed carriers were substantially more likely to report being the victim of a property crime — and what the criminals often took was one of their guns.

Stolen guns are sometimes trafficked out of state but more commonly circulate locally, where they may be used to commit additional offenses. As a result, each concealed-carry permit increased the violent crime rate in the neighborhood by about 2 percent. (Dr. Billings noted that if the owners had simply practiced better gun safety, such an increase would have been blunted.) Guns that wind up in the wrong hands also make crime more lethal.

Because of the combination of permissive legislation, recent court rulings that undercut gun control and aggressive manufacturing and marketing, firearms are easier to come by than ever. If fear of crime leads more people to get guns and some of those guns are then stolen, increasing violence and creating more fear, a vicious cycle could ensue. Even if this cycle doesn’t lead to a major uptick in the overall rate of crime, it can create a floor below which crime rates wouldn’t fall — as Charlotte and other cities may be experiencing now, primarily because of guns that were stolen from cars.

Fear can also make crime more likely by fraying the social and economic fabric. Decades of social science research shows that people tend to overestimate their chances of becoming victims, that they may wrongly infer that an area is dangerous from seeing individuals engage in disorderly behavior and that fear of crime sometimes reflects underlying racial or ethnic prejudice. In a classic 1986 essay, the political scientist Wesley Skogan argued that when people become afraid of criminal activity in a neighborhood for these or other reasons, conditions can rapidly worsen.

People who are scared might stop socializing as much with their neighbors. They might become less active in houses of worship or as volunteers with civic organizations, sapping the strength of vital neighborhood institutions. They may no longer feel safe banding together to urge troublemakers on the street to move along, abandoning the informal social control necessary to keep further crime in check.

And as people become reluctant to shop or work in an area, retail stores will close and manufacturers and offices will relocate. With less legal income flowing into the community, illicit markets grow, bringing more theft, drugs and violence.

Dr. Skogan’s focus was residential neighborhoods, but those lessons are directly relevant to downtown areas, too — especially right now. Hanna Love and Tracy Hadden Loh of the Brookings Institution wrote this spring on the situation facing downtowns in New York, Chicago, Philadelphia and Seattle. In all four cities, downtown districts haven’t fully recovered from the pandemic, when many office workers went remote. Office vacancy rates remain high and businesses that serve office workers are languishing or have shut down. Meanwhile, individuals struggling with homelessness, visible mental illness or addiction seem more numerous, and accounts of theft and violence abound.

In interviews the researchers conducted with business owners, commuters, downtown residents and public officials, concerns about crime were top of mind, cited as the main factor “stopping workers from coming back to the office.” Yet when Ms. Love and Dr. Loh examined crime statistics in these cities, they found a mismatch. Though citywide crime rates had gone up, most of the increase had occurred in disadvantaged residential areas. Downtowns were less affected than people believed.

What’s more, a disturbing pattern was emerging. Calls were mounting for cities to direct resources, including law enforcement and social services, toward business districts as a way to revive them. But those resources alone wouldn’t do it — and diverting them from the parts of the city where they were needed most would make a difficult situation in those areas worse.

Finally, when people are scared of crime, politicians pressure the police to crack down. Contrary to what some progressives think, increasing the police presence in an area does tend to lower the crime rate. But indiscriminate, heavy-handed crackdowns — reliance on blanket stop-and-frisk tactics, for example — erode community trust, hampering police officers’ ability to conduct investigations. Crimes go unsolved and criminals remain free to strike again.

Perhaps counterintuitively, research shows that surging police patrols may increase fear of crime: Residents take them as a signal that the danger must be really severe. In addition, last year about half of Black Americans said they would rather be robbed or burglarized than have unprovoked contact with the police, according to one study. Both facts could explain why in New York, where Mayor Eric Adams beefed up police patrols on the subway, many riders continue to express fears even as transit crimes in most categories have dipped to prepandemic levels.

The solution to all this is not to keep insisting that crime isn’t as bad as people think. Fear doesn’t respond well to data. Besides, while over-the-top fears may not be justified in most cases, the public safety situation in the United States does warrant concern.

There are no easy fixes, but it’s hard to see a meaningful response to crime that doesn’t include strengthening the social safety net, increasing the certainty of punishment for serious offenses, working toward common-sense gun control and helping individuals and families cope with trauma and other mental health challenges. To bolster trust, we also need to improve policing, focusing as much on changing the culture of the occupation as on imposing stricter laws and policies.

Beyond that, one of the best things that cities can do to reduce fear is to increase social connections among residents. Studies show that the more ties people have to one another in their communities, the less fearful they are of becoming crime victims, perhaps because they know they can count on others for protection and support or because other people may keep our fears in perspective. While fear can chip away at those ties, government, nonprofits and the private sector can all play a role in fortifying what the sociologist Eric Klinenberg has called the “social infrastructure” of cities. Community centers, recreational facilities, libraries, cultural events and neighborhood organizations connect us to one another, making everyday life feel a little less scary.

Neil Gross, a professor of sociology at Colby College, is the author, most recently, of “Walk the Walk: How Three Police Chiefs Defied the Odds and Changed Cop Culture.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It’s sad that when I saw this bumped, my first reaction was, “school isn’t back in session yet, it’s too early for a mass shooting”.

come on, now, schools are so 1999. we have walmarts, mosques, malls, churches, restaurants, temples, convenience stores, parades, concerts, grocery stores, hospitals, parks, movie theaters, nursing homes - you name it! america is a big, diverse urban hunting ground. don't you feel safe and free????

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

I think one upside to this insane heat wave across much of the country is most potential mass shooters are thinking, "I gotta go case out that place in this heat.  And then on the big day, I gotta put all that tac shit on and carry all that gear in this fucking humidity.  Fuck it.  I'll wait until Winter, if even then."  

To the above article's point...the old gun myth that "Well half of all gun deaths are suicide so you can throw those out when you wanna talk about gun violence" is finally coming to an end.  At least for those with critical thinking skills.  Yes, there are instances, too many...where if the gun wasn't available the person still would be determined to take their own life so they'd look for an alternative like pills, jumping, hanging, etc.  But again, the reason guns continue to be an attractive way out is the speed by which it can be over with, relatively painless, and is pretty fool-proof.  Jumping gives you an awful lot of time to think about your decision since most of us don't live on the 40th floor balcony or down the street from an extremely tall bridge.  You gotta travel to height like that.  Pills, hanging, slitting wrists, etc.  All can easily be fucked up and make you prone to discovery and injured for life.

But a gun, you can make a snap irrational decision--usually why under duress, massive stress, or fucked up drunk or on drugs.  But in digging around, we see that about 90% of guns used in suicides weren't bought with the intention of suicide.  Or so the peripheral information suggests.  90% are bought long before (90+ days) the suicide occurs, many are purchased shortly before training courses or shooting at ranges takes place, most are cleaned and maintained for defense and sport (not what you'd expect from somebody just looking to take it home to load and shoot it once), and most are purchased with amounts of ammo not consistent with the small handful you need to shoot yourself.  All of the background data suggests very few people buy a handgun to take home and shoot themselves later that week.  It does happen, but in the end---you buy it for defense and/or sport...one day months or years down the road after being a responsible gun owner...you or a loved one is having a shitty day or month, or is fucked up on a bad pill/vodka bender and uses the gun on a rage-filled whim.  20,000 of the 25,000 gun suicides happen this way every year.  And I'd bet 80% of those would have not found another way to take their life.  They just would have passed out or moved on and pressed on with life like everyone else.  That takes us to how many die in accidental shootings around the house because of unsecured weapons.  Every responsible gun owner is responsible until they aren't that one time.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think one upside to this insane heat wave across much of the country is most potential mass shooters are thinking, "I gotta go case out that place in this heat.  And then on the big day, I gotta put all that tac shit on and carry all that gear in this fucking humidity.  Fuck it.  I'll wait until Winter, if even then."  

To the above article's point...the old gun myth that "Well half of all gun deaths are suicide so you can throw those out when you wanna talk about gun violence" is finally coming to an end.  At least for those with critical thinking skills.  Yes, there are instances, too many...where if the gun wasn't available the person still would be determined to take their own life so they'd look for an alternative like pills, jumping, hanging, etc.  But again, the reason guns continue to be an attractive way out is the speed by which it can be over with, relatively painless, and is pretty fool-proof.  Jumping gives you an awful lot of time to think about your decision since most of us don't live on the 40th floor balcony or down the street from an extremely tall bridge.  You gotta travel to height like that.  Pills, hanging, slitting wrists, etc.  All can easily be fucked up and make you prone to discovery and injured for life.

But a gun, you can make a snap irrational decision--usually why under duress, massive stress, or fucked up drunk or on drugs.  But in digging around, we see that about 90% of guns used in suicides weren't bought with the intention of suicide.  Or so the peripheral information suggests.  90% are bought long before (90+ days) the suicide occurs, many are purchased shortly before training courses or shooting at ranges takes place, most are cleaned and maintained for defense and sport (not what you'd expect from somebody just looking to take it home to load and shoot it once), and most are purchased with amounts of ammo not consistent with the small handful you need to shoot yourself.  All of the background data suggests very few people buy a handgun to take home and shoot themselves later that week.  It does happen, but in the end---you buy it for defense and/or sport...one day months or years down the road after being a responsible gun owner...you or a loved one is having a shitty day or month, or is fucked up on a bad pill/vodka bender and uses the gun on a rage-filled whim.  20,000 of the 25,000 gun suicides happen this way every year.  And I'd bet 80% of those would have not found another way to take their life.  They just would have passed out or moved on and pressed on with life like everyone else.  That takes us to how many die in accidental shootings around the house because of unsecured weapons.  Every responsible gun owner is responsible until they aren't that one time.  

Ugh. I took a class in college for my minor called Suicideology. It was awful. Everything you’ve said is correct. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I didn't take that course, but we had some small section (probably 2-3 course days) of a Sociology class where we went over some shit like this.  And all these different red flags that people throw up when they intend to commit suicide and the legality around what you can do to stop them/have them committed/ensure they don't take anybody else out with them/etc.  That kinda proactive shit.  Like you start giving all your stuff away, becoming reclusive, drinking much more, and then suddenly ask me for some extra dryer venting. which would conveniently attach to your car's exhaust pipe.  I can report that rightfully so.  But you exhibit the same signs and then go out and buy a handgun, I'm infringing on your rights to report you or the gun dealer.  And you may very well be fine and just own the handgun responsibly for years until that week down the road when your girlfriend leaves you the same week you get laid off and run out of painkillers for that knee procedure you had done which ended your rec league hoops career.  But it's too late, the gun is in the closet, on top of your never-used passport. 

Pittsburgh synagogue killer got the death penalty.  I'm staunchly against capital punishment, but this one bothers me about as little as I can recall.

So I'm being hypocritical . . . not the first time.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Pittsburgh synagogue killer got the death penalty.  I'm staunchly against capital punishment, but this one bothers me about as little as I can recall.
So I'm being hypocritical . . . not the first time.

Same. I’m anti-death penalty but I ain’t gonna fight very hard against this one. Like not at all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Unless things change drastically, Kyle R will hold public office at some point. Book it.

I don't think he is as popular as right wing social media seems to make him out to be. 

I don't think he is as popular as right wing social media seems to make him out to be. 

He will be. Shit, I can write his winning campaign slogan in the primary right now:

“Kyle: the only man in this race who has actually killed BLM antifa socialists to protect YOU!” He wins that primary with 80% of the vote. And so long as he runs in a gerrymandered R district or a red state, he wins the general. Because R is ALWAYS better than socialist communist soros backed fascist commie socialist Dems.

He will be. Shit, I can write his winning campaign slogan in the primary right now:

“Kyle: the only man in this race who has actually killed BLM antifa socialists to protect YOU!” He wins that primary with 80% of the vote. And so long as he runs in a gerrymandered R district or a red state, he wins the general. Because R is ALWAYS better than socialist communist soros backed fascist commie socialist Dems.
Perfect replacement for Pete Sessions when the time comes. Landslide victory.

KR is a mass shooter.

If a shooter with an AR15 shoots an unarmed person during a struggle (maybe justified), then he starts running and people around him think he’s dangerous, can they take him out? Like this is a mass shooter on the loose.

Why wouldnt you be able to shoot or take down someone you believe is a dangerous mass shooter?

On 8/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, Born to Run said:
On 8/19/2023 at 9:24 AM, Brisketexan said:

Perfect replacement for Pete Sessions when the time comes. Landslide victory.

Yep, they'll find a historically R-heavy district to back him in.