Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Ok I’ll let that one slide. Still, blech. 

AR is one of the schools on my son's list of colleges he's looking at as are his friends.  So when we got free tickets they all wanted to go.  Daughter is still 100% on the Texas train and can actually get in.  Son wants biz school, and they is little chance Texas is an option for him.  

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

AR is one of the schools on my son's list of colleges he's looking at as are his friends.  So when we got free tickets they all wanted to go.  Daughter is still 100% on the Texas train and can actually get in.  Son wants biz school, and they is little chance Texas is an option for him.  

My fiance and I made a hard sell to Arkansas on her son.  He got into their business school, and while Texas fans like to rag on that university, Fayetteville is a pretty damn nice town.  He ultimately went in a completely different direction and is now at Southwestern.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This seems to be happening with a lot of texas kids, my nephew included.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My fiance and I made a hard sell to Arkansas on her son.  He got into their business school, and while Texas fans like to rag on that university, Fayetteville is a pretty damn nice town.  He ultimately went in a completely different direction and is now at Southwestern.

Username checks out 

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Baylor and aggy are the only two places my kids are not allowed to go to. Both institutions have shown they don't give a single fuck about student safety 

Baylor, aggy, and OU on my list.  My senior in high school is in the middle of the applications process and has never had any interest in those schools.  I don't think my seventh-grader will either.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I see a lot of Austin kids going to SEC schools.  'bama and Ole Miss seem to be the most popular, followed by Arkansas and Georgia.

It's been that way for a while.  If you want to get out of Texas and want a relatively large public university experience, SEC schools are a pretty good deal financially, and some of them are pretty solid in the various rankings (for whatever worth you put into those), particularly Georgia and Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's been that way for a while.  If you want to get out of Texas and want a relatively large public university experience, SEC schools are a pretty good deal financially, and some of them are pretty solid in the various rankings (for whatever worth you put into those), particularly Georgia and Florida.

It's for another board, but we really need to continue to develop more good in state options. I hate losing good students out of state.

I know plenty of super wealthy multi-generational Texas Longhorn families who have descendants who are not top 6% and cannot get in. Their money going to TCU, Baylor or SEC schools makes we want to vomit. I'd like to keep those dollars in state and at public state schools.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

It's for another board, but we really need to continue to develop more good in state options. I hate losing good students out of state.

I know plenty of super wealthy multi-generational Texas Longhorn families who have descendants who are not top 6% and cannot get in. Their money going to TCU, Baylor or SEC schools makes we want to vomit. I'd like to keep those dollars in state and at public state schools.

Preach.  Say what you want about California, but one thing that state does well is maintain a high quality state university system.  And they take care of their own.  Sucks if you're an out-of-state applicant, as they rarely give any merit aid or other tuition breaks for nonresidents.  

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

There are other reasons, especially recently, besides cost.  Let's start a new thread in DT.

• Hook 'Em 1

Checking usernames on Surly, and I has disapoint, as there appears to be no SouthWestern, or an associated mom with username.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I see a lot of Austin kids going to SEC schools.  'bama and Ole Miss seem to be the most popular, followed by Arkansas and Georgia.

When we were in Tuscaloosa we learned that 60% of Alabama's students come from out of state and ran into several students who were Texas fans. They are one of several schools in the South that offer Texas kids in-state tuition.

19 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah if it's at least a moderate high ankle sprain and they push him back in 2-4 weeks his mobility will be very limited. 

But honestly Max Johnson liked fine back here. He's about as good a backup as they could hope for. Weigman shows flashes but I'm not convinced that in 2023 Johnson is that much of a step down. 

Behind that line he would reinjure himself  in less than a half if he came back in 2-3 weeks.

Johnson is limited as a passer when teams have time to prepare for him. Definitely less upside than Weigman.

11 hours ago, ousux said:

Uh oh, USA today just lost thousands of subs.

Assuming there are that many reading aggy

USA Today is mostly pictures and pie charts, so probably the most "read" newspaper by aggy

Edited by Grade of D as in David
What Stanko said above

Yes sir.  We need a couple more of those.
Really wish Texas could put a school in Houston and Fort Worth.  There is a need for quality undergrad schools in places where people actually will live.
I know we like to bag on froggy, (I'm right there with you) but it's not a bad school. Oh, and if you have a son he has a more than decent chance of scoring big...both SMU and TCU are popular places for wealthy families to send their daughters. /Pro-tip

8 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:
Yes sir.  We need a couple more of those.
Really wish Texas could put a school in Houston and Fort Worth.  There is a need for quality undergrad schools in places where people actually will live.

I know we like to bag on froggy, (I'm right there with you) but it's not a bad school. Oh, and if you have a son he has a more than decent chance of scoring big...both SMU and TCU are popular places for wealthy families to send their daughters. /Pro-tip

Apologies for the sidebar.  But a man marrying into a family wealthier than his own can be really tough.  It can work.  But it can often end in disaster.  A woman marrying into a family wealthier than her own works out more frequently.

Rich girls are often daddy's girls who do not want a step down in lifestyle.  And male ego makes it tough.

Seen this happen many times.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

3-6 HERE THEY COME!

None of those teams is really good and all are very beatable by that bunch.  Alabama is the best but will never score more than 28 except against air or Middle Tennessee.  Arkansas defense is stool softened purée.  South Carolina's offensive line is garbage.  If A&M, with their talent, doesn't go at least 2-2 against that lineup then there is an inside betting scandal at work. 

Edited by ClubWhatever

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

None of those teams is really good and all are very beatable by that bunch.  Alabama is the best but will never score more than 28 except against air or Middle Tennessee.  Arkansas defense is stool softened purée.  South Carolina's offensive line is garbage.  If A&M, with their talent, doesn't go at least 2-2 against that lineup then there is an inside betting scandal at work. 

Bama scored 24 against us.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Apologies for the sidebar.  But a man marrying into a family wealthier than his own can be really tough.  It can work.  But it can often end in disaster.  A woman marrying into a family wealthier than her own works out more frequently.

Rich girls are often daddy's girls who do not want a step down in lifestyle.  And male ego makes it tough.

Seen this happen many times.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6