Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

14 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

If aggy was going to conduct a decently intelligent coaching search, I think they should at least talk to him.  But for a guy who seemed to grow tired of recruiting as NIL was taking rein over the college landscape, and having to adjust to that environment in a cutthroat SEC, I can see Patterson being a much better fit elsewhere.

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

Dabo is such a similar hire to what Fisher was that I doubt they do it again. 

But that would be the most on-brand hire they could make. It would also fail hilariously.

I think they ultimately go with Elko. If they feel like he can prevent a mass exodus in the portal and retain some of the pieces of the staff, that will be too good to pass up since they believe they have the talent to win big now. Long term I don't think Elko would be the solution there but he's somewhat low-risk now and I think there's some apprehension or even lack of funds after Fisher to take another big swing

To me Elko feels like the logical choice in the way that Tom Herman was for Texas in 2016.  There's no other big name at a top tier program that will go to aggy, he has a connection to aggy, and a lot of folks are impressed with the relative success he's had at a usually-fledgling football program.  Very similar to the circumstances of the Herman hire.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Talked to an aggy friend yesterday evening. His thoughts.

Everyone in CFB at the time was convinced that Jimbo was a great hire. It wasn't a bad decision.

The firing of Jimbo shows aggy commitment to excellence.

He expects the next hire to be big.

Elko and Traylor are beneath aggy. It will be an Urban type hire. Also, Traylor is a tsip hack.

I wish I had more aggy friends like this.  It would add just a little more unexpected joy to life.  Unfortunately, I have a 2%er aggy brother in law and a few other well-educated, intelligent, rationally thinking aggy friends that went to the school solely for an engineering degree.

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Did you tell your friend that he has two kids ENROLLED AT AGGY

I did. Apparently he engaged in a lot of negative recruiting against aggy while coaching at Texas so he is a secret tsip that can't be trusted.

Also, because his coordinators keep getting poached by P5's it means he is a general manager type coach that relies on his coordinators and not like Jimbo or Sumlin that can run an offense.

That last part didn't make sense to me either.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

Dabo is such a similar hire to what Fisher was that I doubt they do it again. 

But that would be the most on-brand hire they could make. It would also fail hilariously.

I think they ultimately go with Elko. If they feel like he can prevent a mass exodus in the portal and retain some of the pieces of the staff, that will be too good to pass up since they believe they have the talent to win big now. Long term I don't think Elko would be the solution there but he's somewhat low-risk now and I think there's some apprehension or even lack of funds after Fisher to take another big swing

To be fair, Dabo proved more over a longer period of time than Jimbo ever did. He was basically pre-VY mack before DeShawn Watson came along. 

I have friends who are ancillary CFB fans and call me when something big happens.  They ask me, “Just tell me what to think.”

Two guys said today, “Coach Prime to Aggy!  What do you think!?”

I told them Aggies are racists with little man syndrome and sent them some Yell Leader vids.  Always awesome to open a person’s eyes.

ETA

I covered the nut-grabbing and jizz jars too of course.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I have friends who are ancillary CFB fans and call me when something big happens.  They ask me, “Just tell me what to think.”

Two guys said today, “Coach Prime to Aggy!  What do you think!?”

I told them Aggies are racists with little man syndrome and sent them some Yell Leader vids.  Always awesome to open a person’s eyes.

Last ever Hobbiton yell practice....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Everyone in CFB at the time was convinced that Jimbo was a great hire. It wasn't a bad decision.

Elko and Traylor are beneath aggy. It will be an Urban type hire. Also, Traylor is a tsip hack.

Funny, I went to lunch and Space Center Houston with two aggy friends yesterday. They are pretty resigned to it being Elko or grossly overpaying for Dabo and know they don’t have a chance of a Lanning or anyone like that. 

But one is from Houston and used to sports disappointments and the other is from Dallas and used to mediocrity since she was born. So it kind of fits. 

Both were extremely annoyed by the firing of Jimbo slowly bc of the guaranteed money and they’re not donating to the AD just to help pay for that. 

17 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I still say it’s DeBoer. He makes less than Deion, Chip Kelly, even the Oregon State and Cal coaches. He’s gone once Penix is gone. 

I'm kind of concerned about this as well.   Washington's problem is that of all their mega-wealthy alums, none of them are big sports fans.  We don't have a Phil Knight to throw money at athletic problems.

17 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I still say it’s DeBoer. He makes less than Deion, Chip Kelly, even the Oregon State and Cal coaches. He’s gone once Penix is gone. 

You're assuming UW won't offer him a raise, which is definitely not true. ATM doesn't have to just beat his current salary, they have to beat whatever extension UW offers, plus pay a $12mm buyout. UW is also about to get that Big 10 TV money next year which could fund a new salary easily.

Looking at other factors - ATM has a better recruiting base in TX and more NIL cash. But UW is objectively a more successful program with plenty of NIL potential in Seattle. Plus he'd be starting over with always brings risk. And personally, Deboer has always lived/worked in the Northwest/Midwest. His daughter is also committed to play softball at UW. So moving to College Station probably isn't too appealing.

Now, I'm not saying there's a 0% chance, but it doesn't seem likely to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F250 said:

This really highlights Aggies' main issue. Little brother syndrome is a b****. If you can't recognize it and admit it, you can't overcome it.

Their little brother syndrome causes them to lack faith in all the benefits of their program... and there are some. They like to brag about their money and their facilities and their fans.

There's no reason a great up-and-coming coach (like Traylor or Elko, or name the hottest coordinator-of-the-month) couldn't come in there and kill it. But they have their head so far up their ass, the only thing they can think of is to pay somebody else's superstar coach $10 million to come work for them.

Aggy gonna Aggy. I can't wait to see which burnt-out NC coach gets a huge retirement bonus next.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

For football?  Nah.   You're replacing a bunch of 2-3 hour weekend charter flights with 4-hour weekend charter flights.  Big woo.

I think Deboer is from the midwest too. He might even like being in the Big 10.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm kind of concerned about this as well.   Washington's problem is that of all their mega-wealthy alums, none of them are big sports fans.  We don't have a Phil Knight to throw money at athletic problems.

True for NIL but can't the extra money from the Big 10 TV deal easily pay for a big raise in his salary? Doesn't seem like you even need donors.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

I think Deboer is from the midwest too. He might even like being in the Big 10.

True for NIL but can't the extra money from the Big 10 TV deal easily pay for a big raise in his salary? Doesn't seem like you even need donors.

They are only going to make around 30 million for the first few years and they don't have knight to fill the gap. Not saying he would take the a&m job but there is a huge gap in the UW money and what the ags can offer

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

If Patterson wants to coach again I bet he goes to Baylor

I'll believe Baylor is open when I see it.

Baylor and the BMDs just dropped/committed $90 million for the new football center and $125 million for the new basketball arena (city ponied up $65 million of the total cost)

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

For football?  Nah.   You're replacing a bunch of 2-3 hour weekend charter flights with 4-hour weekend charter flights.  Big woo.

Yeah it's the non-rev sports that are the problem.  I still feel like non-rev sports should all be in regional conferences then football should abandon the conference model entirely and just pick 64 teams that have to maintain a standard of excellence or face relegation.  You then must play 10 games from the pool of 64 with up to 3 locked annual rivalries.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Listened to Billy on Texags radio. Here are some basic notes 

• Lanning's total buyout is closer to $50 million all in
  • Kiffin wants the job but they don't want him (LOL)
  • Schumann won't be a candidate. Not on the Lanning/Smart track right now
  • DeBoer will get a real look but not sure if they could hire him (he has a $12 million buyout).
  • ERob could end up being a real candidate especially if they beat LSU. 
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2

If I'm leaving UW for CS, it is because I got moneywhipped.  If the money is even, daughter coming for softball, and I'm prospering.  No move.

If however, they came through with some blockbuster deal - guaranteed money for 10 years, no offset, all the gravy a coach could ever ask for, I'm moving wherever.  The question then becomes, "would the leadership of a large university ever do something like that?"  Would they ever be so desperate to win that they would agree to a lopsided deal like that?  I guess we'll see.

• Haha 2

New article excoriating aggy for their financial idiocy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/15/jimbo-fisher-buyout-texas-am/

Maybe there should be an aggy subforum, within lulz, archiving the Aggy greatest hits and the subsequent media coverage as they awaken to their "culture" and collectively say "what in the actual fuck?"

32 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

image.thumb.png.43d3df4e0b592a02be9d16cdd71421d7.png

Wtf am I looking at?

1 minute ago, gofuckyourself said:

New article excoriating aggy for their financial idiocy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/15/jimbo-fisher-buyout-texas-am/

Maybe there should be an aggy subforum, within lulz, archiving the Aggy greatest hits and the subsequent media coverage as they awaken to their "culture" and collectively say "what in the actual fuck?"

Paywall.  Got the article?

12 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

This really highlights Aggies' main issue. Little brother syndrome is a b****. If you can't recognize it and admit it, you can't overcome it.

I wouldn't say that is their biggest issue.  The disturbingly bizarre "cult"ure together with being located in an absolute shithole are their biggest issues.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Is South Dakota Midwest lol? But yeah exactly my point - everything on there is Midwest or Northwest

I guess...? Just posted so his whole career was shown, I wasn't trying to prove or disprove anything.  I just think UW is historically a better program and will step up to keep him. aggy has got to be considered a coaching graveyard with the last 4 HCs having basically .500 records in conference (screw all the cupcake games). But coaches are by nature self-confident and their agents are by nature greedy so who knows. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1