• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

The first football game Texas A&M ever played was in 1894, against UT. The score at halftime was 38-0 in favor of UT.
At the request of the A&M players, the second half was not played.
In their first game ever, the aggys quit at halftime.
I thought their first game was a loss to Galveston Ball High. Either way they suck ass.

3 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
26 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:
The first football game Texas A&M ever played was in 1894, against UT. The score at halftime was 38-0 in favor of UT.
At the request of the A&M players, the second half was not played.
In their first game ever, the aggys quit at halftime.

I thought their first game was a loss to Galveston Ball High. Either way they suck ass.

Their second game (first victory) was against Galveston Ball High.

How A&M can win a national title: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27046211/how-top-cfb-contender-win-national-title

If ... the newbies provide immediate, quality depth. Jimbo Fisher signed ESPN's No. 3 class in the country in 2019, with at least one new blue-chipper in nearly every unit on the field. If there's truly a title run in the cards, Fisher will need an infinite number of immediate, strong contributors -- his Aggies need depth more than any team has ever needed it before.

A&M has one of the most ridiculous schedules you'll ever see. In terms of S&P+ projections, the Aggies play each of the top four teams in the country, three away from home. They play all the West heavyweights, they draw Georgia and South Carolina (which also plays each of the top four) in cross-division play, and they visit defending national champion Clemson in nonconference play. They play two top-10 teams in September, two in October and two in November. An excellent team would go 8-4 against this schedule. Giving A&M +5000 odds is a massive compliment.

If ... the passing game produces more easy points. The Aggies produced only 15 passes of 30-plus yards in 2018. This created a need for sustained drives and solid red zone execution, but A&M averaged just 4.5 points per scoring opportunity (80th in FBS). Sure, "better red zone execution" is also on the to-do list, but while receivers like Quartney Davis and Camron Buckley flashed big-play potential, and there's a boatload of speedy blue-chippers on the way, someone needs to stretch the field.

If ... the Crew stops getting Wrecked. The A&M defense was aggressive and efficient, but when opponents did win a given play, they didn't do it with a mere 7-yard gain. The Aggies were 120th in marginal explosiveness allowed and allowed 31 gains of 30-plus yards (84th). And that was with starting safeties Donovan Wilson and Deshawn Capers-Smith, both of whom are now gone.

If ... a new front seven doesn't mean a loss of havoc. Defensive coordinator Mike Elko's first A&M defense ranked fifth in overall havoc rate; seven different Aggies defenders recorded at least seven tackles for loss. Unfortunately, six are gone. Plenty of raw talent remains, and even more is on the way. But not only do the Aggies need solid contributions from sophomores (end Tyree Johnson, tackle Bobby Brown III) and returnees from injury (end Micheal Clemons, linebacker Anthony Hines III), they need those guys to be downright awesome.

I must admit Dave South gave me many moments of laughter over the years.  I'd tune in to him when I knew the aggys were going to lose just for the tears.

"Opposing QB rolling left...20 seconds of dead air...touchdown (in as quiet and dejected a voice possible)..."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Leanderman said:

Just waiting for them to start wearing shirts stating 1939 National Champions.

They probably want to give the players and coaches Championship rings.   So get the shovels and backhoes ready.

43 minutes ago, texaslong said:

I miss Dave South's radio calls. He may have been the best radio call announcer for non-aggy fans to follow. That call in show was great also.

He had one a few years ago against Baylor. Baylor won it on a last second field goal. "It's up, it's good, and Baylor wins the game........ ( dead air)"

• Like 1

It’s about their testing on dogs.  He’s a big PETA guy.   Called out everybody there especially their President.  That A Beatle is calling out Aggie’s for dog abuse is beyond amusing to me today. 

Its on CNN.  Somebody get the link, I’m all caught up in the slack 

Edited by Lobo

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The top four, six of the top eight, seven of the top 10 and nine of the top 19 are SEC schools. Color me shocked!!!!

To be fair, those states also do a really bad job of educating Black children at the elementary and secondary levels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I think we found David Duke's sock.

I don't actually think the football team is too black. But I don't think the student body of Auburn, to pick one at random, is too white. I think they're both (football team and student body) chosen mostly on perceived merit. So I'm not sure what Twitter man's solution to that disparity would be.  

That's probably all I'm going to be able to say on this before the ZOMG HERESY starts up. 

23 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

To be fair, those states also do a really bad job of educating Black children at the elementary and secondary levels.

I looked shit up.  The state of Mississippi is 37% black.  12% of Ole Miss and 20% of MSU students are black, which is a big part of how they get to the top of this list.  

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think they're both (football team and student body) chosen mostly on perceived merit. So I'm not sure what Twitter man's solution to that disparity would be.

Given the states involved, I think that means the only reasonable solution is to select students entirely from somewhere else, regardless of race. Because their idea of merit in Alabama and Mississippi is, ah... somewhat suspect. Even before you whiz on the fence.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Given the states involved, I think that means the only reasonable solution is to select students entirely from somewhere else, regardless of race. Because their idea of merit in Alabama and Mississippi is, ah... somewhat suspect. Even before you whiz on the fence.

To their credit, Univ of Alabama has already given up on trying to recruit in-state students and has been harvesting the primary and secondary educational investments of a number of other states.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

To their credit, Univ of Alabama has already given up on trying to recruit in-state students and has been harvesting the primary and secondary educational investments of a number of other states.

Every year there are a shit-load of Highland Park (and other Dallas-area private school rich) kids that can't get in to UT who go to Tuscaloosa instead.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Every year there are a shit-load of Highland Park (and other Dallas-area private school rich) kids that can't get in to UT who go to Tuscaloosa instead.

They've made a successful effort to recruit a lot of kids from Jersey/Long Island/Westchester as well, since if they can't get into the good private schools, the local state schools aren't very prestigious or fun.

Edited by texifornia