Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I have no problem with them claiming the 1939 title. They were awarded a trophy for it at the time. It only sucks for them that none of those people are still alive to regale the rest of us with stories of their heroism.

The other two "championships" they now claim are just as fake as 2 or the 3 Big 12 championships they claim. But I learned a long time ago to never take an aggy at his word. They lie about things that matter and things that don't matter.

Tap dancing on a pin-head.  The polls were what they were back then.  A large number of schools "claim" a multitude of conflicting titles that only matter now to serve as message-board fodder for obsessed fans. 

Win now.  Win often.  Shut everyone else up.  

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That is just how the national championship worked back then. At least the 1939 team knew they had just won the national championship and got to celebrate that. The 1927 and 1919 players all went to their graves not knowing what they would one day be declared retroactively to have won.

Equally bad-- OK, maybe not, but it's Notre Dame-- was Notre Dame's 1924 title. Frank Dickinson began publishing his mathematically-based rankings in 1926 and as soon as Knute Rockne heard about it, he asked Dickinson to run the numbers back to 1924 so the Irish could retroactively be named "national champions" for that year. 

In their defense, they really probably did have the best team that year, from the little I've read about it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That is just how the national championship worked back then. At least the 1939 team knew they had just won the national championship and got to celebrate that. The 1927 and 1919 players all went to their graves not knowing what they would one day be declared retroactively to have won.

Here is the link to the first aggy school paper printed following the 1940 Sugar Bowl. They didn't care in the least about a "national championship."

https://newspaper.library.tamu.edu/lccn/sn86088544/1940-01-06/ed-1/seq-1/

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I have no problem with them claiming the 1939 title. They were awarded a trophy for it at the time. It only sucks for them that none of those people are still alive to regale the rest of us with stories of their heroism.

The other two "championships" they now claim are just as fake as 2 or the 3 Big 12 championships they claim. But I learned a long time ago to never take an aggy at his word. They lie about things that matter and things that don't matter.

I had the pleasure of enlightening a few people on the fake B12 titles on the wall Saturday night. A drunk aggy was mouthing off about how the B12 sucks and I asked him why they only won 1 title in 16 years...before he could respond someone else said there was 3 on the wall and called their bullshit out. They didn't believe me so I told them to google the history of the B12 championship game...the look on their faces was glorious         

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

A large number of schools "claim" a multitude of conflicting titles that only matter now to serve as message-board fodder for obsessed fans. 

There is a huge difference between championships claimed and awarded at the time and those "awarded" decades later.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Here is the link to the first aggy school paper printed following the 1940 Sugar Bowl. They didn't care in the least about a "national championship."

https://newspaper.library.tamu.edu/lccn/sn86088544/1940-01-06/ed-1/seq-1/

On page four the article states:

"The victory left the Aggies with undisputed possession of the title "National Champions.""

Clearly they thought they had just won the national championship back in January of 1940. Good enough for me.

Edited by Valmy77

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

On page four the article states:

"The victory left the Aggies with undisputed possession of the title "National Champions".

Clearly they thought they had just won the national championship back in January of 1940. Good enough for me.

They buried the banner headline in the middle of a paragraph on page four back then, did they?

They clearly recognized they had been named "national champion," but did they seriously attach any importance to it? No.

No one really cared, because at the time, the "national championship" wasn't much of a prize. Because college football really wasn't a national game back then. College football was a regional sport at the time, with regional rivalries. Conference championships mattered. Bowl games were meaningless exhibitions. Even the Heisman Trophy started out in 1935 as the award for the best player east of the Mississippi River, not in the nation. It was a regional award.

It was the post-WWII era where the popularity of college football, and the significance of "national championships" really took off.

Edited by Randolph Duke

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

That’s only because all them heroes died in world wars why you puzzy sips was sipping tea.  

26 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

aggy thought enough of that championship to make up some medals for their cosplay team:

spacer.png

I may be wrong, but betting that's a fake - bevel on the "T" is new.  My wife's sister and husband are both ags.  JFC he bitches about that stupid bevel to no end.  Bevel dates to the 90's, I think?  Nike?  

10 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

aggy withdraws a dollar, and deposits a penny.  aggy athletic financing...whoop!

Just wait. With their capital campaigns over, A&M’s revenue will drop back to around $150 mil. UT’s operating revenue is around $220 mil. Add in the SEZ contributions that are somewhere between $125 mil and $175 mil, and the lower end of UT’s numbers are $350 million, with a possibility of touching $400 million. 

I’m looking forward to these numbers going public. It’s going to be hilarious to hear aggy insist the numbers, which are audited by a major firm, are fraudulent. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

22 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

I also believe, especially after what we saw when the LSU white trash rednecks were on campus this fall, that we should never invite any of the white trash S!E!C! fan base (including the aggy fan base) onto the UT campus.

welp, CDC already done did that multiple times, viz. bammer, uga and gaytah.

9 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The 1927 "championship" is especially comical. They were challenged by Tennessee to a post-season bowl game, but declined to play the game. Yet they claim a "championship."

By the way, has anyone heard from our dear friend Olin how the ags are doing at perfecting their "killer instinct?" lol. Olin is such an idiot. He's aggy to the corps.

large.2034152280_olinkillerinstinct.jpeg.7efd8aa8af91e9c23ca65014d600260d.jpeg

Pretty sure we saw that aggy "killer instinct" last Sat against Arky !

12 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I thought CDC wasn't going to do (count) that

It’s the NCAA report, generated as of Dec 31 of each year, that combines the operating revenues and capital contributions, but doesn’t subtract out the capital outlays. That is the one that causes all the confusion and bloated “profit” numbers. 

That report is compiled according to agreed upon NCAA standards. It has very, very few opportunities for individual ADs to alter the numbers. There are opportunities to allocate revenues or to leave them unallocated, but the bottom line numbers are not subject to any ADs desires. They are also audited by the school’s accounts and attested to as true and correct. 

The overall revenue could hit $400 million, with the “profit” exceeding aggy’s total athletics budget. 

• Like 2

The 1927 "championship" is especially comical. They were challenged by Tennessee to a post-season bowl game, but declined to play the game. Yet they claim a "championship."
By the way, has anyone heard from our dear friend Olin how the ags are doing at perfecting their "killer instinct?" lol. Olin is such an idiot. He's aggy to the corps.

We just gonna ignore this?

Just now, Valmy77 said:

What is there to say really? I am not fact checking 1927 and it is not like A&M is out there blowing big leads so I am not sure what Olin is talking about.

Of corps you might be missing which corps of action Jkwellborn was suggesting we take regarding the corps issue in Randolph Duke's post.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

This is amazing.

At first I just glossed over this. Then I looked at it again. And again. I had to be sure what I was seeing. It seems like they were avoiding the play. A lot of questions in that shot. Were they in “quit mode”, or what? Mind bottling.

• Like 1

It's simultaneously the best idea they ever came up with, and the ultimate aggy joke

WRONG!

THE ultimate aggy joke was perpetrated upon your aggy by Texas Coach Dana Xenophon Bible who asked one of the aggy basketball tards to suit up in a aggy football costume and hide under the stands. aggy basketball tard hid for a week and 12 man was born.
DX Bible's prank is still going after a thousand years.

you seem stupid.

b79b3c5b2694402052df5a462872e74a.jpg2d3dabedbef5090075f3fc2f8e74e39c.jpg

6 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

It’s the NCAA report, generated as of Dec 31 of each year, that combines the operating revenues and capital contributions, but doesn’t subtract out the capital outlays. That is the one that causes all the confusion and bloated “profit” numbers. 

That report is compiled according to agreed upon NCAA standards. It has very, very few opportunities for individual ADs to alter the numbers. There are opportunities to allocate revenues or to leave them unallocated, but the bottom line numbers are not subject to any ADs desires. They are also audited by the school’s accounts and attested to as true and correct. 

The overall revenue could hit $400 million, with the “profit” exceeding aggy’s total athletics budget. 

I’m guessing you have a fair amount of due diligence experience regarding asset acquisition evaluation. Like private equity, etc.