B12 championship game - Baylor vs OSU - 11am on ABC

dingleberryswitzer

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yes. That’s because it’s unique in that it’s basically the only rivalry game where one of the schools has been basically a top 5-10 program for 50+ years and the other school essentially didn’t even make an attempt to be competitive in football until about 15 years ago.

Most of the time it’s either like Ohio State-Michigan, where both of been historically good, or something like Iowa-Iowa State, or even like Washington-Washington State, where one program may be historically better, but one isn’t a super elite of college football while the other isn’t even trying.

Yup, rivals by way of proximity only really, and no other place has two state schools, or adjoining state schools, in the same or equal conference where one is a blue-blood and the other is a historic cellar dwellar. Michigan State for example took the game seriously enough to not have this disparity against blue-blood Michigan. I forget if I mentioned it in this or another thread, but story I heard was Henry Iba thought football was a club sport and we devoted no resources to it for most of our history while OU took the opposite approach and cheated their asses off, and to their credit, it worked. It really is a unique situation we have here, including that we managed to become routinely good after 100 years of shit.

Edited by 'stache

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yup, rivals by way of proximity only really, and no other place has two state schools, or adjoining state schools, in the same or equal conference where one is a blue-blood and the other is a historic cellar dwellar. Michigan State for example took the game seriously enough to not have this disparity against blue-blood Michigan. I forget if I mentioned it in this or another thread, but story I heard was Henry Iba thought football was a club sport and we devoted no resources to it for most of our history while OU took the opposite approach and cheated their asses off, and to their credit, it worked. It really is a unique situation we have here, including that we managed to become routinely good after 100 years of shit.

I’ve heard that Iba story before… I feel like it’s message board lore more than anything.

OU became a power in the 1950s, and college football was a pretty big deal for most of Iba’s tenure as an athletic director… he was in that role until 1970. College football was a bigger deal than the NFL through at least the early 1970s and was probably the second most popular sport in the country after MLB all of that time.

Iba had plenty of time to try and build a competitive program during a time when it was clear that CFB was wildly popular. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I’ve heard that Iba story before… I feel like it’s message board lore more than anything.

OU became a power in the 1950s, and college football was a pretty big deal for most of Iba’s tenure as an athletic director… he was in that role until 1970. College football was a bigger deal than the NFL through at least the early 1970s and was probably the second most popular sport in the country after MLB all of that time.

Iba had plenty of time to try and build a competitive program during a time when it was clear that CFB was wildly popular. 

Whatever his reasoning was, he gave zero shits about football, hence our shittiness while others were taking it seriously. His successors didn't care either except for a blip in the 80's where we tried cheating, and having a rust bucket stadium into the 2000s.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

The story I always heard was that, post WW2, the BMDs in Oklahoma wanted a winning football team for state pride. They went to Iba first, because at the time Oklahoma A&M had the stronger athletic department, had a nationally known basketball team and a strong football program and offered to finance one. Iba refused their money and said he wouldn't buy players. So they went to Norman instead and were welcomed with open arms.

After Iba retired OSU rethought this position but were really bad at cheating, and got caught multiple times through the '70s and '80s, culminating in the "near death" penalty in 1992 after Hart Lee Dykes ratted out the program.

35 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Sadly, OU also leads the basketball series by 38 games.

ou fans don't know that the basketball team exists, so that argument never comes up. They also like to ignore any sport in which OSU has the "Rangz" advantage, another nail in the hoops coffin for them.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Sadly, OU also leads the basketball series by 38 games.

OSU basketball was a vast desert in between Iba and Sutton. That’s when they gained that advantage.

Honestly, OSU wasn’t doing much of anything athletically from the 1970s-1990s except for wrestling, baseball and golf.

Most of my local friends are all legit Horns or TShirt aggies, and tease for me being constant doom/gloom on my Pokes.  I need to send them here to see it’s a religion among us OSU folks.  Until proven otherwise I expect heartbreak.

Though a senior-laden, experienced defense gives me hope they’ll perform despite Gundyball.  

On 11/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, 'stache said:

The story I heard was that Henry Iba thought football was a club sport like rugby and that basketball would become America's game. He was wrong, and it's a miracle that we have been able to get it together in recent years, but we'll never be blueblood and OU will continue to be, so it is what it is. I hate OU leaving but it might improve my mental health in late November not having to stress over "is this finally the year?"

OU also has the series record against the Pokes in basketball.  Not quite as lopsided though.  140-102.

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Are there really not any sooner or cowpoke boards for you jackwagons to debate your huge rivalry upon?

I mean, the title of the thread is “Big 12 championship game.”  One, and possibly both, of the teams will be playing in the Big 12 championship game, so it seems kind of relevant in this thread.

17 hours ago, Homercles said:

Most of my local friends are all legit Horns or TShirt aggies, and tease for me being constant doom/gloom on my Pokes.  I need to send them here to see it’s a religion among us OSU folks.  Until proven otherwise I expect heartbreak.

Though a senior-laden, experienced defense gives me hope they’ll perform despite Gundyball.  

aggy would be doom and gloom too if they weren't so fucking stupid and delusional. They really should be.

52 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

OSU is going to be playing for a CFP appearance and Baylor is pretty beat up at several key positions. Still, the rematch will be interesting since it's been a while since the 2 teams first met this year and both teams have matured into what they currently are. 

Outcome of this game is 2:3 that Baylor Plays Bama or Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl...

Baylor wins = No CFP invite, goes to Sugar bowl vs. highest ranked SEC team not in the CFP

OSU wins = if CFP invite then Baylor goes to Sugar Bowl

or OSU wins = No CFP invite, then OSU goes to the Sugar...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sounding like the freshman QB Shapen will be starting this game for Baylor. RS JR Bohannon has been out with a pulled hammy since just before halftime vs KSt. CB Kalon Barnes may be good to go (concussion symptoms) and CB Al Walcott will be back after being ejected for targeting in the first half vs TTech. Shapen made several questionable throws this past Saturday against the Red Raiders and was extremely lucky that it didn't cost the game. He didn't get rattled by Tech but I think simply didn't see defenders after the snap. Hopefully he'll get some good practices in this week and work some of that out. OSU's defense isn't anything to fuck around and find out with. 

On 11/24/2021 at 8:09 AM, Js1 said:

Are any of those actual rivalries akin to Bedlam, Red River Rivalry, The Game, Iron Bowl, WLOCP, Civil War, Holy War, Auburn-Georgia? 

Like when people talk about CFB rivalry games, I do not think about Bama-Kentucky or Oklahoma-Iowa State. 

Bedlam is the most lopsided real rivalry game. 

I was curious about this and had to look it up, sticking only to rivalry games an average CFB fan would probably be familiar with.

First off, a .792 win percentage is amazing in itself, and especially over +100 games.
For reference, Texas has a win % of .776 over Rice (96 games) and .723 over Baylor (110 games), and while some may consider them rivals they're nowhere near Bedlam.

The closest major rivalries that I found that were noteworthy and also lopsided af were Tennessee-Kentucky and Notre Dame-Navy.

Tennessee holds a 77-20-8 advantage over Kentucky, or .771.
Notre Dame holds an 80-13-1 advantage over Navy, or .856.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:02 AM, JMFP said:

Outcome of this game is 2:3 that Baylor Plays Bama or Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl...

Baylor wins = No CFP invite, goes to Sugar bowl vs. highest ranked SEC team not in the CFP

OSU wins = if CFP invite then Baylor goes to Sugar Bowl

or OSU wins = No CFP invite, then OSU goes to the Sugar...

That's kind of like saying the outcome 1:2 that I fuck ScarJo.

I fuck ScarJo

I don't fuck ScarJo

3 minutes ago, texastroubadour said:

you're about to feel the wrath of posters who seem to (unbelievably) welcome and rejoice in the company of such jackwagons

No, I'm not.  IF that were going to happen, don't you think it would have already occurred, like, a week ago when I posted that?

Don't drag me into your hissy fit slapfight with our resident pokes fans, I've gotten along fine with them for years on this board and its predecessors.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

No, I'm not.  IF that were going to happen, don't you think it would have already occurred, like, a week ago when I posted that?

Don't drag me into your hissy fit slapfight with our resident pokes fans, I've gotten along fine with them for years on this board and its predecessors.

ok, my mistake

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/24/2021 at 8:09 PM, utee94 said:

Are there really not any sooner or cowpoke boards for you jackwagons to debate your huge rivalry upon?

We're prepping your anus for the imminent influx of SEC posters.  2 years from this place devolving into tigerdroppings or SECrant.

Thank you/yall for being tolerant of our kind, we prefer this neighborhood to our own boards.

Line opened Pokes - 6.5, O/U 48.5.  Baylor is 3-1 ATS as a dog, I think they cover the points but not the over.  24-21.

I'm just happy it's neutral site and not Stillwater.

GIF reindeer - animated GIF on GIFER

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

you're about to feel the wrath of posters who seem to (unbelievably) welcome and rejoice in the company of such jackwagons

Nah, he wasn’t as big of a fucking dick about as you. He’s just asking a question.

I don’t think anyone answered his question. The answer is no.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

• Pancho changed the title to B12 championship game - Baylor vs OSU - 11am on ABC
5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

OSU playing in the Big 12 championship as the favorite with a trip to the CFP Playoff on the line? Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Yes I’m already drinking.

Can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning. 

• Like 2