B12 championship game - Baylor vs OSU - 11am on ABC

dingleberryswitzer

let’s get the standard comments out of the way:

whogivesashit.gif

fuck ou/ou sucks

Scenarios:

looks like okst is in win or lose against sooner.  

ou in with a win against gundy. 

Baylor in with win against tech (likely) and ou loss (not likely) 

i for one find it funny and fucking dumb that the most likely scenario is that ou will beat okst twice in a row.  I probably won’t give a shit about the b12 after Texas leaves but they need to get to 12 or 14 teams and break into divisions so this doesn’t happen.  Rematches are fine but two weeks in a row?  GTFO. 

Of course there is still a legit chance ou gets into the playoffs if they win out so of course the refs will do their best to make this happen.  Holy shit never mind, just checked they are ranked 13 by committee maybe 9 or 10 in the new rankings.   Even with two wins over okst I doubt it happens since okst would likely drop to the upper teens.
That’s be hilarious for a 1 loss p5 conference champ to get left out of the playoffs and I’d be glad it’s ou and just shows how shit the conference is, and yes I know that Texas is very much part of the shittieness. )

I think Gundy gets Sooner this weekend. The biggest issue is the game is in Norman. OU has been flirting with losses and playing without urgency all season. Although, I'd almost prefer to see OU win in Bedlam, then lose to OSU in the CCG just to hear all the Okies lose their collective shit. 

Obligatory: CCG in a round robin conference is stupid as all hell. 

• Like 1

I think Gundy gets Sooner this weekend. The biggest issue is the game is in Norman. OU has been flirting with losses and playing without urgency all season. Although, I'd almost prefer to see OU win in Bedlam, then lose to OSU in the CCG just to hear all the Okies lose their collective shit. 
Spencer Sanders sucks worse than rattler, but on the bright side Okie Lite will be facing the worst blowU team in recent memory. Even so, Gundy will Gundy it up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Scenarios:

Correct except OU also in, regardless of Bedlam outcome, with a Baylor loss vs. Tech. 

Here are the routes for each school to win the Big 12 title:

• OSU - win or lose Bedlam, then beat Baylor or OU (depending on Bedlam and Baylor-Tech outcomes) to win title.
  • OU - win Bedlam twice in a row.
  • Baylor - win against Tech; hope OSU wins Bedlam round 1; then beat OSU.
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

OKST has had less success against OU than we have in the past decade or so. OU will win both games 

Yep.  OU has gotten Gundy's goat quite a few times when OU was the worse team.  Gundy just shits his pants when he plays them and gets lucky less often than Texas does. 

46 minutes ago, Sandman said:

The game is in Stillwater, which is honestly worse for OSU. 

LOL no.

We haven't had much success against OU regardless of location because they are always better than us. With this team and this defense, the game being in Stillwater is a huge advantage.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yep.  OU has gotten Gundy's goat quite a few times when OU was the worse team.  Gundy just shits his pants when he plays them and gets lucky less often than Texas does. 

What "quite a few times" are you referring to?

There has only been one game when OSU was clearly the better team and lost (2013).  All of Gundy's other losses have either been when it was essentially a toss-up or OU was clearly the better team. And one of his wins (2014) was when we were a considerable underdog. 

You could maybe argue that 2010 was also a game we should have won, but Justin Blackmon was injured the week before the game, because of course he was.

In fact we seemingly have had several years when we had injuries to key players or other issues where we were otherwise short-handed going into the game.  That's the rub of always playing that game (for the most part) at the end of the year.

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

let’s get the standard comments out of the way:

whogivesashit.gif

fuck ou/ou sucks

Scenarios:

i for one find it funny and fucking dumb that the most likely scenario is that ou will beat okst twice in a row.  I probably won’t give a shit about the b12 after Texas leaves but they need to get to 12 or 14 teams and break into divisions so this doesn’t happen.  Rematches are fine but two weeks in a row?  GTFO. 

Of course there is still a legit chance ou gets into the playoffs if they win out so of course the refs will do their best to make this happen.  Holy shit never mind, just checked they are ranked 13 by committee maybe 9 or 10 in the new rankings.   Even with two wins over okst I doubt it happens since okst would likely drop to the upper teens.
That’s be hilarious for a 1 loss p5 conference champ to get left out of the playoffs and I’d be glad it’s ou and just shows how shit the conference is, and yes I know that Texas is very much part of the shittieness. )

Rematches are beyond stupid when you play a round robin format. They're even stupider on back-to-back weeks. Such a bad, bad, bad idea by the Big 12.

• Like 1

I took shit for saying that Baylor kicking the FG against OU “tiebreaker” purposes was bush league. The chance of that coming into play now is 0%. Prior to this past weekend the chance was the same as me buying condoms on the way home from work because a super model had broken into my house and was waiting to fuck me.

“Coach, why kick the field goal there at the end?”

Acceptable answer:

“Because fuck OU”

Bullshit answer:

“Tiebreaker blah blah”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I took shit for saying that Baylor kicking the FG against OU “tiebreaker” purposes was bush league. The chance of that coming into play now is 0%. Prior to this past weekend the chance was the same as me buying condoms on the way home from work because a super model had broken into my house and was waiting to fuck me.

“Coach, why kick the field goal there at the end?”

Acceptable answer:

“Because fuck OU”

Bullshit answer:

“Tiebreaker blah blah”

LOL. 

To Arranda's credit, the idea of 3-4 teams tied with 2 losses was very real before Iowa State shit the bed against TCU later that day.

• Hook 'Em 5

So if OU wins against OSU, the two teams rematch again the next week? 

We have the dumbest conference... and we are at the bottom of it. What does that say about our program that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan? We're bombed out and depleted. 

If there was a path to Baylor v OU round 2 that is what I would root for.  In the spirit of dumpster fire I hope we see

Tceh beats Baylor

OU beats OSU

B12CG: OSU beats OU

Switzer goes on the Bowl selection show with a shit-eating grin and laughs when OU still gets in the playoffs.

OU gets killed by Georgia

12 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Riley goes 12-1 with that fucking team, well, that is a hell of a job.

Don’t tell them that. They are basically in the Mack Brown 2000-2004 era and they are ready to fire Riley. I’d kill to be unsatisfied with conference titles and 12 win seasons. We’ll take him if they don’t want him. 

6 minutes ago, NoedigEkalb1463 said:

Don’t tell them that. They are basically in the Mack Brown 2000-2004 era and they are ready to fire Riley. I’d kill to be unsatisfied with conference titles and 12 win seasons. We’ll take him if they don’t want him. 

Not any of them that were alive in the 90’s. 

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Lol.  Who would lose their shit?  I haven’t talked to anyone who’s not apathetic.  

B12.  It just means less.  

22 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

There has only been one game when OSU was clearly the better team and lost (2013).  All of Gundy's other losses have either been when it was essentially a toss-up or OU was clearly the better team. And one of his wins (2014) was when we were a considerable underdog. 

You could maybe argue that 2010 was also a game we should have won, but Justin Blackmon was injured the week before the game, because of course he was.

In fact we seemingly have had several years when we had injuries to key players or other issues where we were otherwise short-handed going into the game.  That's the rub of always playing that game (for the most part) at the end of the year.

All of this. ISU last year is a perfect example. They upset them early in the season, lost to them at the end. Almost all of OU's upsets have been early, we almost always play them late. The announcers at the OU-Baylor game kept saying that Reilly had never lost a game in November (and the loss in that game was to a pretty good Baylor team). 

This year they don't look to have improved as much as usual, but they're still 10-1, which is more about their overall talent level disparity against pretty much everyone they play. You can mention the record all you want, but they are always loaded with 5 and 4 star players, we have zero 5 stars and I think two or three 4 star players. Everyone else is 3 stars who we have coached up and fit our system. We have no business even being in these conversations except for coaching and development. Historically, our stadium was literally a rust bucket 20 years ago. Our training facilities were apparently leaky, moldy, and gross. Pat Jones has said a bunch of times they would show recruits the campus and purposefully avoid the football facilities. That is how you lose to your blueblood in-state rival that often.

As for this weeks game, we certainly have a chance. They still aren't playing great and we have everything on the line at home. So I fully expect Caleb Williams to have a heisman game, Spencer Sanders to have all of his recent improvements vanish, and for at multiple fuck you moments like a defender batting the ball right into a sooner players hand, a special teams fuck up on our end, and/or a pick 6 reversed on some obscure rule that I can't even think of right now. So it goes. 

Edited by 'stache

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the series is 90-18-7

the 18 wins are split evenly norman/stillwater

jimmy johnson never beat switzer

wilkinson never lost

switzer lost once

it may be the most lopsided series with 100+ games

This is what happens when one school commits to building a historically great football program (and succeeds) and the other school essentially ignores football for about 50 years.

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This is what happens when one school commits to building a historically great football program (and succeeds) and the other school essentially ignores football for about 50 years.

The story I heard was that Henry Iba thought football was a club sport like rugby and that basketball would become America's game. He was wrong, and it's a miracle that we have been able to get it together in recent years, but we'll never be blueblood and OU will continue to be, so it is what it is. I hate OU leaving but it might improve my mental health in late November not having to stress over "is this finally the year?"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the series is 90-18-7

the 18 wins are split evenly norman/stillwater

jimmy johnson never beat switzer

wilkinson never lost

switzer lost once

it may be the most lopsided series with 100+ games

It is the most lopsided series.  I doubt 2nd place is even close.  

Of all the years Gundy can beat OU, this is it. I could see Gundy beating OU once but I don't see it happening twice. There's something Mack Brown like for him when he sees OU on the other sideline. I hope I'm wrong because I really want someone to put the knife in OU for once. 

I'm a lifelong Poke and graduated there before coming to Texas. I hate ou with the fury of a thousand suns. State's best chance is if Gundy gets Covid protocoled and can't coach. He shits the bed against the sooners every. damn. time.

Hope I'm wrong.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

It is the most lopsided series.  I doubt 2nd place is even close.  

Not that it matters much, but there are worse, just did some quick research out of curiosity. 

OU v. OSU = 90-18-7 = .813

Bama v. Miss. St. = 84-18-3 = .814 (equally bad)

Notre Dame v. Navy = 78-13-1 = .853 (worse)

Mich. v. Indiana = 60-10-0 = .857 (worse percentage)

OU v. ISU =  78-7-2 = .908 (much worse, would probably be worse if they hadn't been split by divisions)

Bama v. Kentucky = 38-2-1 = .939 (not played as often but really bad)

Not that it matters much, but there are worse, just did some quick research out of curiosity. 
OU v. ISU =  78-7-2 = .908 (much worse, would probably be worse if they hadn't been split by divisions)

I guess I was thinking in-state rivalry games where we rule. Good to know we have some company.

Of all the years Gundy can beat OU, this is it. I could see Gundy beating OU once but I don't see it happening twice. There's something Mack Brown like for him when he sees OU on the other sideline. I hope I'm wrong because I really want someone to put the knife in OU for once. 

We don’t have to beat ou twice. Thank God.

14 hours ago, 'stache said:

Is it not fair to just pull up Kansas for this discussion?

14 hours ago, 'stache said:

Are any of those actual rivalries akin to Bedlam, Red River Rivalry, The Game, Iron Bowl, WLOCP, Civil War, Holy War, Auburn-Georgia? 

Like when people talk about CFB rivalry games, I do not think about Bama-Kentucky or Oklahoma-Iowa State. 

Bedlam is the most lopsided real rivalry game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

Also, if you lose Bedlam, don't you rematch with them based on h2h vs. Baylor? My fear was always OU losing twice by virtue of you beating them only to have those bastards beat you in the CCG. 

Correct.  The CG scenarios are:

OSU wins Bedlam, Baylor wins against TTU: OSU vs. Baylor

OU wins Bedlam: Bedlam 2

Baylor loses to TTU: Bedlam 2, regardless of Bedlam 1 outcome

The cool thing is that the Baylor-Tech game is at 11 a.m., so we’ll know whether or not they are in play before Bedlam kicks off.  It feels dirty rooting for Rape U, but those fucks better beat Tech.

I don’t want any part of a Bedlam rematch.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Bedlam is the most lopsided real rivalry game. 

Yes. That’s because it’s unique in that it’s basically the only rivalry game where one of the schools has been basically a top 5-10 program for 50+ years and the other school essentially didn’t even make an attempt to be competitive in football until about 15 years ago.

Most of the time it’s either like Ohio State-Michigan, where both of been historically good, or something like Iowa-Iowa State, or even like Washington-Washington State, where one program may be historically better, but one isn’t a super elite of college football while the other isn’t even trying.

• Pancho changed the title to B12 championship game - Baylor vs OSU - 11am on ABC