2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yeah its one thing to drop this nugget in a Humidor or some shit - but running it as its own thing leads me to believe this might have some real substance to it.

Can't see Gary coming here as anything less than a DC. Maybe the thought process is to just let Gary run the defense and Sark the offense/overall team? I can't see keeping PK if Gary comes on board. Even though Gary is still getting paid by TCU I can't see him taking less than 1.5 million. Would we pay PK and Gary almost 4 million total? IDK?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

GP has always come off as petty but I didn’t know if he still had the drive to coach. I think coming in as a DC would give him the perfect opportunity to prove himself and get revenge on TCU admins

TCU asking him to retire and him telling them fuck off so they mutually part ways may have lit a fire under his ass.

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

PK is stealing money with this setup but at least there is a chance our defense that wouldn't be a complete joke. 

If this were to actually happen I think PK is gone and GP is given the chance to assemble his own staff. I don’t see him sharing titles with anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Hopefully we don’t use him on the recruiting circuit or he’ll sweat through grandmas couch trying not to negatively recruit himself.

"Yeah - see - you don't want your kid somewhere like Texas - they just don't run a good program there."

"Sir you're wearing a branded Texas polo. You're a coach for them."

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

If this happens it feels more like a Greg Robinson hire.  Off the field analyst that could quickly be promoted to DC if PK keeps fucking up

Yeah, like how GP used Jerry Kill at tcu.  

If GP is added to Longhorns Football Staff, I'm like...

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If we wanted to bring in Patterson as sole DC you would have to think we would have already gotten rid of PK. Patterson is unemployed so he could have joined the day after the season if he wanted. Makes me think they want to try to potentially pair PK and Patterson together.

Not necessarily with NSD1 coming up in less than 2 weeks

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe CDC is selling GP the ability to have way more exposure with the Austin live music scene so if he comes in as co-dc he would have way more time for shows than if he had to run the whole thing himself. "Hey Gare, let PK do some of the scutwork while you write a bitchin takedown of TCU and I know a guy that will let you headline Friday night downtown during the bye week."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Unless GP doesn't want a full time gig (which would be understandable) I can't fathom him working as an "analyst" and not being in charge.   How long has it been since that guy hasn't had the final say on a defensive call?  It's not like he's a young coach trying to rehabilitate himself or as though he needs the money.   Maybe I'm wrong but I would guess he is the DC or nothing.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don’t know what happens but Patterson is definitely a vindictive asshole. Him wanting to beat the shit out the team that just fired him wouldn’t surprise me. 

This I 100% agree with.  If he comes in some capacity I think hiring Dykes as his replacement probably pushed him over the edge.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, utexas8 said:

Never paid attention to Tcu until they played Texas. But are his defenses still good? They look good playing us, but you know.

They have been pretty shitty recently.  But also not as talented and constantly injured the last couple of years.  At least I believe that has been a big part of it.  I don't think he can work a miracle.  But he probably also wouldn't field the absolute worst Texas defense I can recall as we witnessed this year.

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

They have been pretty shitty recently.  But also not as talented and constantly injured the last couple of years.  At least I believe that has been a big part of it.  I don't think he can work a miracle.  But he probably also wouldn't field the absolute worst Texas defense I can recall as we witnessed this year.

Patterson hasn’t been shitty recently other than this year. He’s produced top 25ish adjusted defenses almost every year except this season. 

This was discussed in the recruiting thread a while back. Maybe somebody can post the FEI data again. 

Patterson is also one of the best at playing the transfer portal game. He makes entirely too much sense assuming it’s actually a possibility. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Unless GP doesn't want a full time gig (which would be understandable) I can't fathom him working as an "analyst" and not being in charge.   How long has it been since that guy hasn't had the final say on a defensive call?  It's not like he's a young coach trying to rehabilitate himself or as though he needs the money.   Maybe I'm wrong but I would guess he is the DC or nothing.

Does Patterson and TCU have an offset clause?  If so, why not take an Analyst position with low stress and get paid the exact same.  All while being able to punish those who fired you.

19 minutes ago, Genghis said:

Maybe CDC is selling GP the ability to have way more exposure with the Austin live music scene so if he comes in as co-dc he would have way more time for shows than if he had to run the whole thing himself. "Hey Gare, let PK do some of the scutwork while you write a bitchin takedown of TCU and I know a guy that will let you headline Friday night downtown during the bye week."

This was my thought as well. "Yo fat Gare, we can get you the Wednesday night gig at the Spoke, double-ply burnt orange dry fit underwear, and all the Franklin's you can eat if you can fix our fucked up secondary."

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Patterson is also one of the best at playing the transfer portal game. He makes entirely too much sense assuming it’s actually a possibility. 

Having GP to help with player evaluation of players in portal might be pretty valuable... 

Several on IT have pointed out that Gary's defenses were at their absolute best when Gary was running the backend and Bumpas was in charge of the fronts.  When Bumpas retired in 2015, the defense started going downhill. 

Could have a similar situation here with PK running the fronts and Gary in charge of secondary..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Does Patterson and TCU have an offset clause?  If so, why not take an Analyst position with low stress and get paid the exact same.  All while being able to punish those who fired you.

Yeah, make toads pay most of GP salary for at least a couple years...  😋

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Better make it quick, if Elko gets the Duke gig I bet Fisher is immediately on the phone to Patterson.

I wonder what Gary thinks of Jimbo.  They won't be able to money-whip him in that he will be getting paid tens of millions by TCU.  So would Gary want to go work for a guy that routinely threw Elko under the bus this year?

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

I was, thank you. Sorry for contributing to an off topic tangent. 

I do have a hard time seeing GP come to Texas, but after TCU fired him and hired the man who tried to murder Jerry Kill, he may want revenge on the Frogs. 

I didn't realize TCU had hired a coach named Cancer Seizure to replace Patterson. I thought it was Sonny Dykes. 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I wonder what Gary thinks of Jimbo.  They won't be able to money-whip him in that he will be getting paid tens of millions by TCU.  So would Gary want to go work for a guy that routinely threw Elko under the bus this year?

Coaches don't like working with Jimbo because he eats all their adderall.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

SIAP but can someone fill me in on wtf happened with TCU's defense this year and whether it's been like that other years recently? Somehow considerably worse than ours statistically (#117 DFEI yikes vs #62)

Patterson had a top 20 FEI defense all 3 years prior to this season.

Patterson would be such an incredible hire which is why it probably wont happen, we dont get nice things. Plus, if the defense sucks next year, you fire PK midseason and let Patterson try and fix it. If that doesnt work you are cleaning house anyway and it only cost us a large shipment of towels

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Patterson would be such an incredible hire which is why it probably wont happen, we dont get nice things. Plus, if the defense sucks next year, you fire PK midseason and let Patterson try and fix it. If that doesnt work you are cleaning house anyway and it only cost us a large shipment of towels

If we're loading up on towels do we reach out to Mangino while we're at it?