Cool photo of DKR on Thanksgiving Day in 1940

Horn Under a Bad Sign

42 minutes ago, bullet said:

I thought the baseball stadium was on the opposite side of DKR, where it was called Freshman Field when I was in school as the baseball stadium had been moved across the freeway.

Photo is taken from the east...north east technically.  Billy Goat Hill is where it should be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

man if they had kept the baseball field there and just moved the stands back to expand and kept the hill as part of it it would have been so much better

instead it was placed in a shit location and made as generic as possible......the story of UT Athletics that has been soooo hard to climb out from

the only thing that has really been done truly right in a long long time was the major expansion of the football stajium when they took out the horseshoe and made it look so much better and improved the seating

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Photo is taken from the east...north east technically.  Billy Goat Hill is where it should be. 

Freshman Field was renamed Clark Field after the Billy Goat Hill Clark Field closed.  That was my confusion.  Its that grassy area SW of Memorial stadium and east of the dorms.

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

man if they had kept the baseball field there and just moved the stands back to expand and kept the hill as part of it it would have been so much better

instead it was placed in a shit location and made as generic as possible......the story of UT Athletics that has been soooo hard to climb out from

the only thing that has really been done truly right in a long long time was the major expansion of the football stajium when they took out the horseshoe and made it look so much better and improved the seating

What a load of crap. 

43 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

image.jpeg.a492c52cbe64a66157c464025d9ce507.jpeg
Appears that Clark Field doubled as the practice football field .. or maybe home to University Junior High’s team? 🤔

in the old days, at the disch, you could see faded football lines on the old turf because the band used it to practice on.  could be the same situation

50 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

image.jpeg.a492c52cbe64a66157c464025d9ce507.jpeg
Appears that Clark Field doubled as the practice football field .. or maybe home to University Junior High’s team? 🤔

The practice field in the 1950s & 1960s was on the west side of Waller Creek where Caven Clark Field is now.

In the 1960s that practice area was called Reggie Grob Field - named for a freshman player who died of heat exhaustion after an August twoadays practice session.

https://www.texaslsn.org/reggie-grob

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

The practice field in the 1950s & 1960s was on the west side of Waller Creek where Caven Clark Field is now.

In the 1960s that practice area was called Reggie Grob Field - named for a freshman player who died of heat exhaustion after an August twoadays practice session.

My memory of the old layout is sketchy.  But, is Caven Clark what was the intramural field in the 60’s .. SW adjacent to Memorial Stadium?

I vividly recall the Reggie Grob tragedy.  In retrospect, it’s surprising there weren’t more with so many southern schools preparing for seasons in sauna-like late summer weather.

I see that even 70 years ago, parking at DKR was just an absolute delight.  

Photos like this hurt my burnt orange heart.  We had a chance to have such a more beautiful campus if we had continued the themes and styles of the original buildings from 1880-1940 with upgraded amenities inside.  Instead, everything we built from 1950-1990 is just ass-ugly inside and out.  We're getting some cool new toys the last ~10 years but we still have so many fucking eyesores, many of them erected in those empty areas you see in that photo.  Don't get me wrong, overall...I think we have a very pretty campus...but it could have been world class.  I hope the shit we're starting to do on East Campus/Manor/Blackhills has something interesting to it.  

26 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Silly me.  I was expecting something like this:

286320723_dkryoung.thumb.jpg.e04389786cfc03e7c1f67879a9f9609a.jpg

Reminds me of a picture in my high school annual labelled, "Senior races sophomore."   Well if the Senior is the little guy, that disses the seniors.  If the sophomore is the little guy, well the sophomore is winning the race.

Mother used to drive and park between the Freshman Field and the stadium so I could get autographs from the players as they were leaving practice and going back to the locker room. Likely she was also seeing how the young men looked, but I got lots of good autographs. Bobby Lackey is one I remember, and Johnny Treadwell. Treadwell signed my stuffed Bevo across the butthole. He got a chuckle when he handed it back to me. I still have that stuffed Bevo. I'd part with just about any possession I have before I'd let that Bevo go. Mom taught me the words to the songs and some of the cheers. I think she graduated in '40 or '41. She made flash cards with the players names and numbers and had me grill her so she could know who was playing when she and Dad went to games. Thanks Mom. You gave me wonderful memories. 

No traffic. No hassle parking. I guess the guys walked across Waller Creek, but I don't remember them having wet shoes. I have a vague memory of going on the Freshman field myself after a game and seeing grass burrs on the field. Damn man! Tough kids. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 2:10 PM, Lobo said:

I see that even 70 years ago, parking at DKR was just an absolute delight.  

Photos like this hurt my burnt orange heart.  We had a chance to have such a more beautiful campus if we had continued the themes and styles of the original buildings from 1880-1940 with upgraded amenities inside.  Instead, everything we built from 1950-1990 is just ass-ugly inside and out.  We're getting some cool new toys the last ~10 years but we still have so many fucking eyesores, many of them erected in those empty areas you see in that photo.  Don't get me wrong, overall...I think we have a very pretty campus...but it could have been world class.  I hope the shit we're starting to do on East Campus/Manor/Blackhills has something interesting to it.  

what? you no like dystopian communist block architecture?

On 11/29/2021 at 5:43 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Thanksgiving day, 1940. Texas beat the Aggies 7-0 when Noble Doss made "The Catch."  It was the only thing that kept the Aggies from winning back to back national championships. Note Gregory Gym at the top.

Texas A&M vs. Texas Thanksgiving 1940 from TSLAC.jpg

Noble Doss.jpg

Sweet!  Thanks for sharing

My dads been gone since 1985.  He was a senior that year, I remember him saying that it was one of the most fun games he ever attended.  He was on the sidelines reporting on the game for the Daily Texan.  He said that after the game there were corps members crying in the stands.  He would often say that scene was one of his fondest memories.  Started his Master's program at UT the following year and dropped out 3 days after Pearl Harbor to enlist.  CSB.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2