Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

It's getting too late in the cycle to not have some calculator discussion

image.thumb.png.b953b70c8487bd303ee5ecada0ccc7e7.png

This isn't meant to be a class prediction. Some of the guys were added as placeholders because I don't know where our board is but I imagine we'll land some guys in the range of their ratings. A class above 300 points is safely top 5 and usually top three. 304.17 would fall in line with Sark's other high school classes like so: 2024< 2022 < 2025 < 2023. 

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Jordan Scruggs - Horns 247.)

Matai Tagoa'i committed to USC a week ago, and canceled his 6/21 OV to Texas.

Interesting comments at the Dallas OT7 event.

image.thumb.png.5e9ac1ad947cd1414130895dce2b7d58.png

image.thumb.png.b49103d4604f729c021e631aac29f074.png

So Coach Nansen has been talking to his mom a lot, huh? Couldn't find pics of mom.

Let's hope this isn't a Cleve "Old Freak Nasty" Bryant situation. 

19 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Jordan Scruggs - Horns 247.)

Matai Tagoa'i committed to USC a week ago, and canceled his 6/21 OV to Texas.

Interesting comments at the Dallas OT7 event.

image.thumb.png.5e9ac1ad947cd1414130895dce2b7d58.png

image.thumb.png.b49103d4604f729c021e631aac29f074.png

Seems like he misunderstands the OV/UOV distinction and wants to minimize non-USC interest. He'll OV

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Couldn't just add the 's could he. I see trash like this typed out and I want to fucking vomit. It's not even a new syllable, you fucking twit. Nonetheless, I hope this guy goes elsewhere and smears his verbal vomit and overrated WR skills onto a different program. 

4 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Only seven 5-stars? 

1t5np8.jpg?a475512

Going head-to-head with Oregon for a California blue-chip seems like a potential waste of time. Nike money almost always wins out. 

Disagree about the Oregon competition. Texas hasn't had problems beating Oregon out for guys under Sarkisian's watch, including 5* Baker in the last cycle.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

QB

Lacey, Russell - ATM isn't on the list for either player.

Supposedly aggy told Russell that he's 2nd on their board behind Longstreet, and if Longstreet doesn't commit to aggy on his scheduled commitment date of 4/14, Russell takes over pole position. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

Supposedly aggy told Russell that he's 2nd on their board behind Longstreet, and if Longstreet doesn't commit to aggy on his scheduled commitment date of 4/14, Russell takes over pole position. 

I only did cursory searches due to the volume of names, but when I looked up Russell, all I saw was Texas showing interest, an SMU commitment and a scheduled UF OV. Is he interested in ATM as well? Or is more like you or I having a strong interest in Natalie Portman, but her having other options that she'd prefer?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I only did cursory searches due to the volume of names, but when I looked up Russell, all I saw was Texas showing interest, an SMU commitment and a scheduled UF OV. Is he interested in ATM as well? Or is more like you or I having a strong interest in Natalie Portman, but her having other options that she'd prefer?

It was from Scruggs on 247 yesterday, here's the specific blurb

— Russell visited SMU on Friday for the Ponies spring game on Friday before heading to College Station to visit Texas A&M on Saturday. While at A&M the Aggies were honest with him and told him that Husan Longstreet was their No. 1 QB target, but that if they don't land his commitment on Apr. 14 then Russell will be the Aggies new QB1 on the board. That could potentially be incredibly important. Texas hasn't made any moves yet to show of this, but there's certainly buzz behind the scenes that the Longhorns would like to take two quarterbacks in 2025 with the other signal caller potentially being Russell. That said, Longstreet's announcement on Apr. 14 becomes all the more important for the sake of quarterback dominoes. Although Longstreet is expected to choose A&M, there's been a bunch of momentum from the Auburn side over the last few weeks. As crazy as it sounds, it'd likely be better for Texas' sake that the crystal ball predictions pull through and A&M lands Longstreet. In today's day and age of quarterback recruiting with NIL and the transfer portal, Texas A&M and SMU are about the last two schools you want to get into a recruiting battle with if you're another school attempting to flip Russell from his SMU commitment. As far as upcoming visits go, Russell's only trips on the calendar are his spring game visit to Texas and official visits to Florida, Houston, and SMU. Russell also mentioned he's working to get out to Alabama on Thursday for an unofficial visit. The Crimson Tide's staff has been in consistent contact with Russell as of late and could be close to offering. Oregon was also mentioned as a potential visit, which would happen in May. Oregon's contact is noteworthy as there's been buzz behind the scenes the Ducks could be looking at signing two quarterbacks in 2025.

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2024 at 12:59 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

So a quartet of Moore, Kelshaun Johnson, Ffrench and Lockett is possible?

Would that be the greatest WR class in history? 

2020 tOSU had Julian Fleming (4 overall), JSN (15 overall), Gee Scott Jr (37 overall)

2023 tOSU had Carnell Tate (22 overall), Brandon Inniss (35 overall) and Noah Rogers (40 overall)

so one that includes 3 of those guys would be the best WR class based on the top - Moore at #4 overall, Lockett at #11 overall, Ffrench at 30. just edges out the 2021 tOSU class.

the big takeaway here should be that Brian Hartline is really damn good at recruiting

edit: the Alabama class posted earlier is a good point, but i'm only looking at recruiting rankings and them having overall players 24/29/35 isn't as good as the other classes. the 00 Texas class BJ Johnson at #7, Roy Williams at #18, Sloan Thomas at #34 is close.

Edited by NoName

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, texifornia said:

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Couldn't just add the 's could he. I see trash like this typed out and I want to fucking vomit. It's not even a new syllable, you fucking twit. Nonetheless, I hope this guy goes elsewhere and smears his verbal vomit and overrated WR skills onto a different program. 

Disagree about the Oregon competition. Texas hasn't had problems beating Oregon out for guys under Sarkisian's watch, including 5* Baker in the last cycle.

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Brandon Baker ring any bells?

fba4555c-5cac-419a-8951-461b81b556e4_tex

Thanks for the heads up about Baker, gents.

I'm happy to wrong on this, but by my lights Baker is the one head-to-head we've won with Oregon. I'm not saying Oregon is 100% winning every time, but that Nike money makes pulling kids from California a pain in the ass. Other than Baker, the kids we've pulled from California weren't really on Oregon's big board. I'm specifically thinking of LTG (battle with ASU), Moore (Louisville), Shannon (not really a battle with anyone), and Maalik (same). There may be others. Of course, it's possible my ass is still chapped from losing kids like Ashton Porter and the other DL they've pulled from east Texas. We almost lost Kelvin Banks to those fuckers. 

My point is that Baker is one guy. Is that a trend? I'm sure some of y'all know better than me, but going against Nike seems like an uphill battle. Not just in terms of how much NIL they can offer, but the level of organization and professionalism Oregon's association with Nike lends to its NIL program. 

But hey, maybe Marcus Harris is worth the effort. And maybe I'm just being a big sloppy pussy about Nike/Oregon. 

Edited by Park Gothic

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

I'm happy to wrong on this, but by my lights Baker is the one head-to-head we've won with Oregon. I'm not saying Oregon is 100% winning every time, but that Nike money makes pulling kids from California a pain in the ass. Other than Baker, the kids we've pulled from California weren't really on Oregon's big board. I'm specifically thinking of LTG (battle with ASU), Moore (Louisville), Shannon (not really a battle with anyone), and Maalik (same). There may be others. Of course, it's possible my ass is still chapped from losing kids like Ashton Porter and the other DL they've pulled from east Texas. We almost lost Kelvin Banks to those fuckers. 

My point is that Baker is one guy. Is that a trend? I'm sure some of y'all know better than me, but going against Nike seems like an uphill battle. Not just in terms of how much NIL they can offer, but they level of organization and professionalism Oregon's association with Nike lends to its NIL program. 

But hey, maybe Marcus Harris is worth the effort. And maybe I'm just being a big sloppy pussy about Nike/Oregon. 

You can't move the argument from "Oregon beats us for players in California" to "Oregon has beaten us for players historically from across the land". Since the addition of NIL and the move to the SEC, Texas won the only battle it has had with Oregon. If memory serves, they'd lost to Louisville on Moore and then Louisville had HC turnover and Texas won that NIL battle as well. Oregon is as well-funded as anyone, and that anyone includes Texas at the top. Neither side is prone to insanity, so the circumstances are more likely to come down to preferences/needs beyond NIL.

Texas doesn't have Harris as high as like 5 other guys on their board, but there's the need to keep some guys warm in case something doesn't work out, as well as keep up appearances with contacts in California that funnel players to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, closetojumping said:

You can't move the argument from "Oregon beats us for players in California" to "Oregon has beaten us for players historically from across the land". Since the addition of NIL and the move to the SEC, Texas won the only battle it has had with Oregon. If memory serves, they'd lost to Louisville on Moore and then Louisville had HC turnover and Texas won that NIL battle as well. Oregon is as well-funded as anyone, and that anyone includes Texas at the top. Neither side is prone to insanity, so the circumstances are more likely to come down to preferences/needs beyond NIL.

Texas doesn't have Harris as high as like 5 other guys on their board, but there's the need to keep some guys warm in case something doesn't work out, as well as keep up appearances with contacts in California that funnel players to Texas.

Fair enough, if the landscape has changed since 2022 then I'm operating on outdated assumptions. I appreciate the correction.

6 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Only seven 5-stars? 

1t5np8.jpg?a475512

Going head-to-head with Oregon for a California blue-chip seems like a potential waste of time. Nike money almost always wins out. 

Quit being a puss

How the hell does OU recruit well almost every year? It’s a shithole city, shithole state, their coach is suspect, they can’t have that much NIL money, the school itself is unimpressive, the area is full of racist lugheads, there are more Karen’s per capita than just about anywhere else, the pro sports in the area are weak, it’s boring.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

How the hell does OU recruit well almost every year? It’s a shithole city, shithole state, their coach is suspect, they can’t have that much NIL money, the school itself is unimpressive, the area is full of racist lugheads, there are more Karen’s per capita than just about anywhere else, the pro sports in the area are weak, it’s boring.
If that's all you know, then its not bad. It's not until they leave the state that they find out life and internet speeds are so much better.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

How the hell does OU recruit well almost every year?

I've asked this (more respectfully than you) of a former OU player and he said the attraction to OU is actually about how boring it is. You're there (according to him) for one thing and one thing only: Football. They win all the time and they win consistently.  They put guys into the league. They're not far from home. They take it very seriously. They're very organized and professional about it, and they get results. Also, not everyone agrees that Austin is a beautiful Mecca.

I countered with, "Ok, yeah... but OU sucks."

That didn't seem to change his position on the issue.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Do you even SEC?

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

- Lamont Rogers:  Kennedy - Texas made up serious ground ("they had serious ground to make up, that we cannot divulge"), good buds with Fasusi.  Business degree very important.  NIL.  Chris Gilbert - ton of credit.  OU in a big fight with Texas, Aggies, Mizzou.  Texas vs OU - one rising, one falling.  Scruggs - believes Texas vs Aggies, Mizzou 3rd.  Flood tells Rogers he (Flood) is not leaving any time soon, Lamont believes that.  And that's very important for Lamont and family.  Taking several unofficials.  Rogers coming to Texas June 14-16, for official.  Note - this is his last official.  Commitment before end of July, maybe end of June.  Lots of things lining up for Texas.  Chris Gilbert huge factor, and should get primary credit, if Texas lands him. 

Were people trying to drum up rumors of Flood leaving? To me, that's what the bolded parts seem to imply. I don't remember talk of that, though.

57 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ll tell you one other thing they still do-they remind (or don’t have to) the families of African Americans players that they integrated before UT* and African American cultural groups occupy a key part of campus life in way they just don’t at UT.  I don’t think it’s even based on number of students, but it’s a factor for AA families from north Texas.  

*I actually think they officially desegregated around the same time but UT didn’t make much effort to make AA feel welcome and it might just be a historical accident they found a home at OU and they had kind of a first to market advantage.  All of this is far less surprising, to me, than anyone from that community looking at A&M and thinking “this place feels welcoming.”

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think the city is way down on the list of why recruits commit to teams.  College towns are probably more fun to a lot of recruits than big cities.  

I think the two most overrated things about recruiting are city and coaches influence on where the recruit signs.  I'm not saying that those factors don't come into play for some recruiting battles,  I'm just saying that they are way down on the list of where most recruit ultimately  commits.  

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I think the city is way down on the list of why recruits commit to teams.  College towns are probably more fun to a lot of recruits than big cities.  

I think the two most overrated things about recruiting are city and coaches influence on where the recruit signs.  I'm not saying that those factors don't come into play for some recruiting battles,  I'm just saying that they are way down on the list of where most recruit ultimately  commits.  

Counter point: College Station

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Were people trying to drum up rumors of Flood leaving? To me, that's what the bolded parts seem to imply. I don't remember talk of that, though.

Wasn't he linked to some of the openings after the season finished? Syracuse, Duke?

48 minutes ago, Fondren &amp; Main said:

Counter point: College Station

Well that hasn't kept them from getting highly rate recruits.  

Granted winning and keeping them is another thing.  

25 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Well that hasn't kept them from getting highly rate recruits.  

Granted winning and keeping them is another thing.  

They got a bunch of highly rated recruits in a SINGLE cycle because they paid way above market rate.  How many have they been able to keep?  You're using an anomaly to support your argument.  That's a bad tactic, friend.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Fondren &amp; Main said:

They got a bunch of highly rated recruits in a SINGLE cycle because they paid way above market rate.  How many have they been able to keep?  You're using an anomaly to support your argument.  That's a bad tactic, friend.

Recruiting has not been their problem,  friend.

41 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Recruiting has not been their problem,  friend.

Those dipshits are going on an 85 year old problem. 1939. Who gives a shit how they recruit, they'll always f it up.

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

Caught some of the discussions between Collin Kennedy (OU 247) and Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247).  Mostly Collin giving his perspective on Tx/OU recruiting battles.

****************************************************************************************************

- OU class numbers - 22/23 takes; expect 2 more today? (Edit Michael Hawkins committed).

- Michael Fasusi:  Kennedy - close to putting in a CB for Texas.  Should be Texas barring change.  Right now, OU pretty solidly behind Texas.  (Jordan Scruggs said he agreed.)

- Cobey Sellers:  Kennedy - OU comfortable leader, Aggies pushing, decision July.  OU last official.

- Courtland Guillory:  Scruggs - has a Texas CB, still thinks Texas, but OU may be current leader.  Huh.  Kennedy - OU suddenly in a really good spot, in play for OU.  OU may be at the top.

- Michael Hawkins:  Kennedy - OU may get him today. (Edit:  They did.)

- Ty Haywood: Sounds like OU is way ahead of Texas.

- Lamont Rogers:  Kennedy - Texas made up serious ground ("they had serious ground to make up, that we cannot divulge"), good buds with Fasusi.  Business degree very important.  NIL.  Chris Gilbert - ton of credit.  OU in a big fight with Texas, Aggies, Mizzou.  Texas vs OU - one rising, one falling.  Scruggs - believes Texas vs Aggies, Mizzou 3rd.  Flood tells Rogers he (Flood) is not leaving any time soon, Lamont believes that.  And that's very important for Lamont and family.  Taking several unofficials.  Rogers coming to Texas June 14-16, for official.  Note - this is his last official.  Commitment before end of July, maybe end of June.  Lots of things lining up for Texas.  Chris Gilbert huge factor, and should get primary credit, if Texas lands him.  

(FYI - Haywood and Fasusi are 5 stars, Rogers is a high 4 star (#45 overall).)

Guillory trending to OU may be that Texas really likes the DB Louisiana that was just offered and visited.  Looks like we are in a good spot with Kade Phillips. Those two and Jonah Williams maybe??