Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I get wanting to stay home. Good for him. But he told IMG at one point he was coming and then pulled the rug out. He’s 16-17 years old, so it’s a very forgivable offense. 

But he should want access to IMG’s facilities, nutrition, and sports medicine programs to prepare for his football career. 

Was IMG going to let him play baseball too? If not that’d be basically slamming the door shut entirely on one lucrative career option. 

I’m pretty jaded on IMG after watching Kellen Mond. I saw him play a bit at San Antonio Reagan before he left to IMG for his senior year. Was pretty shocked to see him again as a freshman at A&M with the exact same weird fucked up throwing motion he had at Reagan coupled with the same panicky pocket presence. Made me wonder if they even taught him anything new. Same with Lejond Cavazos, he spent 3 years at IMG and has sucked in college and is currently looking for his 3rd school.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

t’s what makes me laugh at people that think Arch Manning or Quinn Ewers are the answer, who chose to play at their local schools. Non-competitors, both of them. We should’ve gone all-in on IMG QB Jayden Bradford instead, who’s going to win a heisman at Liberty. 

Huh?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Was IMG going to let him play baseball too? If not that’d be basically slamming the door shut entirely on one lucrative career option. 

I’m pretty jaded on IMG after watching Kellen Mond. I saw him play a bit at San Antonio Reagan before he left to IMG for his senior year. Was pretty shocked to see him again as a freshman at A&M with the exact same weird fucked up throwing motion he had at Reagan coupled with the same panicky pocket presence. Made me wonder if they even taught him anything new. Same with Lejond Cavazos, he spent 3 years at IMG and has sucked in college and is currently looking for his 3rd school.

I know you've got your vato blinders on, but Cavazos was a headcase with a headcase for a father who was overrated coming out of HS, and his ranking wasn't even that fucking high to begin with...well within the normal bust rate for low 4 star kids. I'm pretty sure Texas didn't even offer the kid, and no one regionally pushed hard for the kid except A&M, which is why he was happy to jump on an Ohio State. He spent 3 years at IMG and sucked in college becuase he fucking sucks.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Nailed it. I don’t get how you can choose your only high school experience playing for your hometown school in front of all your family and friends every Friday vs playing at a boarding school 1000 miles away. It’s what makes me laugh at people that think Arch Manning or Quinn Ewers are the answer, who chose to play at their local schools. Non-competitors, both of them. We should’ve gone all-in on IMG QB Jayden Bradford instead, who’s going to win a heisman at Liberty. 

well now I don't know what to think

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I know you've got your vato blinders on, but Cavazos was a headcase with a headcase for a father who was overrated coming out of HS, and his ranking wasn't even that fucking high to begin with...well within the normal bust rate for low 4 star kids. I'm pretty sure Texas didn't even offer the kid, and no one regionally pushed hard for the kid except A&M, which is why he was happy to jump on an Ohio State. He spent 3 years at IMG and sucked in college becuase he fucking sucks.  

I’m well on record about Cavazos and know his story better than anyone. His dad Carlos actually impressively conned his way into being Nebraska’s Director of Football Ops, where he was fired after one season last year. Lejond was his youngest kid, he moved his other kids to high schools all over the state because he kept pissing off coaching staffs. Lejond was the best out of all of them and a legit track star, he just couldn’t get out of his own way. 

Tldr; IMG is overrated and if you suck or you’re a shithead it won’t help you. There’s a reason they don’t make their full roster available online, so their bust rate is hard to track. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m well on record about Cavazos and know his story better than anyone. His dad Carlos actually impressively conned his way into being Nebraska’s Director of Football Ops, where he was fired after one season last year. Lejond was his youngest kid, he moved his other kids to high schools all over the state because he kept pissing off coaching staffs. Lejond was the best out of all of them and a legit track star, he just couldn’t get out of his own way. 

Tldr; IMG is overrated and if you suck or you’re a shithead it won’t help you. There’s a reason they don’t make their full roster available online, so their bust rate is hard to track. 

Helobious: IMG ruined Lejond Cavazos
Me: Actually he sucked and his dad fucking sucked and they were both headcases with classic bust potential written all over him/them.
Helobious: Yes, everything you said was true, and I know better than anyone even though I mentioned it, but still it's IMG's fault he sucks in college. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The Cavazos stuff is besides the point. I noticed first hand how Kellen Mond’s throwing mechanics didn’t improve. JJ McCarthy also still came out of there with a wonky throwing motion.  

you are the one who brought up Cavazos lol

this sure seems and looks like pretty normal throwing mechanics to me for McCarthy

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10003194/JJ-McCarthy

in his entire ranking history McCarthy was a composite 5*. the only reason he ended up at IMG is because his school had their senior year cancelled due to COVID. if you think he was going to go there, as a composite 5* QB, and change his throwing motion as a senior and hope to keep his scholarship to Michigan, you really are as dumb as you pretend to be.

Mond had a weird throwing motion in every video/highlight i've ever seen of him based on 5 min of looking him up. his soph HUDL video shows it, videos from his last year at A&M show it, NFL preseason games show it.

if you think most schools, especially IMG, is going to tell a guy to change his throwing motion going into his senior year of HS you really are dumb. when he transferred to IMG as a senior, i believe he was a rivals 5* and #1 DT QB in the country for them. he finished as the #3 DT composite QB in the country. so of course he isn't going to change what's working.

again, nobody is going to go there with the hope of changing a guys throwing mechanics his senior year of college when he is trying to get a scholarship

Jason Mantzoukas Come On Man GIF by LoveIndieFilms

It’s interesting that we’re taking 2 RB every cycle. We’ve built up quite a stable (backlog?), especially since RBs can usually play pretty early.
RB's take more direct hits/gang tackles than any other position. Any team with only 2-3 scholarship RB's for any given season is gambling...and not with house money. Anyone who can stockpile elite RB's is wise to do it, and it seems Choice is doing it as well or better than anyone else at the moment.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 5/5/2024 at 8:45 AM, tokamak said:
It’s interesting that we’re taking 2 RB every cycle. We’ve built up quite a stable (backlog?), especially since RBs can usually play pretty early.

RB's take more direct hits/gang tackles than any other position. Any team with only 2-3 scholarship RB's for any given season is gambling...and not with house money. Anyone who can stockpile elite RB's is wise to do it, and it seems Choice is doing it as well or better than anyone else at the moment.

I think people are starting to see the benefit of having 3 "starter level" RBs who are GTG and get a solid share of playing time during the season. Spreading out the touches lets everyone put out good tape while causing less wear and tear, which the NFL appreciates in April. Not that this is a novel concept or that Texas invented it, but we are the best example of it in the current CFB landscape. 

Edited by Park Gothic
With more than 3 RBs in the room, obviously. But having 3 who could start at most FBS schools is unusual and what I'm referring to.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Williams bitched out on attending IMG, right? Ball hasn’t been good at football since the mid-1990’s, the Casey Hampton years.

Turning down IMG to stay at Ball is a red flag. He should want to be developed and compete against the best. 

Did you send your children to boarding school?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The news that Texas is leading for Jamie Fffffrench is welcome, indeed!  His HUDL video is filled with Holy Shit moments. He's all over the place. Lockett, Moore and Fffffrench would be insane.  Not to mention Kelshaun Johnson.  I'm getting dizzy.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The news that Texas is leading for Jamie Fffffrench is welcome, indeed!  His HUDL video is filled with Holy Shit moments. He's all over the place.

Is anyone gonna post the article for the poors 

10 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

Is anyone gonna post the article for the poors 

We’d really rather not have to deal with you people. 

I’m just screwin’ with ya! Here you go. 

Spoiler

Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin five-star wide receiver Jaime Ffrench has seen major movement in his recruitment since originally committing to Alabama last July.

He decommitted from the Crimson Tide in January after Nick Saban announced his retirement. At that point, many thought Florida State was the favorite to land him. A few months later, Ffrench said Ohio State had emerged as arguably his top school, while the Seminoles, LSU, Texas, Tennessee and others battled to keep pace. 

Now, heading into the summer, there’s been another twist. Ffrench has three schools standing out to him right now, he tells On3’s Chad Simmons, in this order: Texas, LSUand Miami. The Buckeyes are still in the picture, as is Florida, but the Longhorns, Tigers and Hurricanes have separated from the pack. The Gators are in communication and still working to get a summer visit, but will have work to do to catch the others. 

“Really just the family feeling,” Ffrench told Simmons of why the Longhorns are on top right now. “They jumped on me quick, and they stay on us. It feels like an open family there. Coach Chris Jackson, Coach Sark, they all play a big part. Coach Perry, the recruiting director, all of them. They’re all part of it.”

The offensive system Sarkisian runs — and the way his program develops receivers — is a key factor as well. Getting to Austin for his first visit this spring only pushed them up even further.

“It appeals a lot, having that Sark stamp is a big thing,” he added. “With the receivers he’s had, with Julio [Jones] at the Falcons. They go deep with the offense, so that’s big. Definitely my visit that I took the first time in Austin, I loved it. My family loved it, and they made them feel comfortable and at home. 

LSU, Miami, Ohio State trying to stay on Ffrench’s shortlist

Ffrench has summer official visits locked in with LSU, Miami, Texas and Tennessee, running from the first weekend of June to the second-to-last. Each of the other programs are working to keep pace with Texas right now, and the Tigers are showing him a lot. He has connections to the area, and he has developed a good rapport with current commits and coaches. 

“I have family who stays right around Baton Rouge,” he said of why LSU stands out. “But Bryce [Underwood], Dakorien Moore, Coach Hankton, they all play a big part. Coach Sloan, he calls me a lot. All of those guys play a big part.”

Miami is the in-state school who has been pushing the hardest for him, and his relationship with receivers coach Kevin Beard is a big reason for them being in his top three. 

“Coach Beard, he’s the main one,” Ffrench said. “He’s a great receiver coach, and he calls me a lot, and we stay on the phone for hours. He’s really like a dad figure in the recruiting process.”

As for the Buckeyes, who were his top school until recently, he says they’re still very much in the picture. But they are running behind the other three. He doesn’t currently have an official visit scheduled to Columbus, but could visit at the end of the recruiting dead period in July or potentially in August. 

“[They’re in] that fourth spot, really behind Texas, LSU and Miami. I’m just evaluating them more. I’m maybe going to take that OV in the fall right before I announce.”

Ffrench has planned to announce right before his senior season, but he says if he’s feeling a certain team after his official visits, he could come off the board then. 

“If I’m feeling a school in June, I might want to announce then,” he said. “Those OVs will be big. I want to not have any doubts about it.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

I always laugh at the changing the throwing motion bullshit. How many big players have totally changed their throwing motion and made a leap? Reminds me of my best friend growing up, who was the number one junior golfer in America. He went to the best college golf program at the time and they changed his swing and he never recovered. You don't grow up your whole life throwing a ball one way then change it and improve.

16 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I always laugh at the changing the throwing motion bullshit. How many big players have totally changed their throwing motion and made a leap? Reminds me of my best friend growing up, who was the number one junior golfer in America. He went to the best college golf program at the time and they changed his swing and he never recovered. You don't grow up your whole life throwing a ball one way then change it and improve.

Happened to my brother's friend who was a pitcher during the Schiraldi Clemens days at UT.

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

We’d really rather not have to deal with you people. 

I’m just screwin’ with ya! Here you go. 

Reveal hidden contents

Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin five-star wide receiver Jaime Ffrench has seen major movement in his recruitment since originally committing to Alabama last July.

He decommitted from the Crimson Tide in January after Nick Saban announced his retirement. At that point, many thought Florida State was the favorite to land him. A few months later, Ffrench said Ohio State had emerged as arguably his top school, while the Seminoles, LSU, Texas, Tennessee and others battled to keep pace. 

Now, heading into the summer, there’s been another twist. Ffrench has three schools standing out to him right now, he tells On3’s Chad Simmons, in this order: Texas, LSUand Miami. The Buckeyes are still in the picture, as is Florida, but the Longhorns, Tigers and Hurricanes have separated from the pack. The Gators are in communication and still working to get a summer visit, but will have work to do to catch the others. 

“Really just the family feeling,” Ffrench told Simmons of why the Longhorns are on top right now. “They jumped on me quick, and they stay on us. It feels like an open family there. Coach Chris Jackson, Coach Sark, they all play a big part. Coach Perry, the recruiting director, all of them. They’re all part of it.”

The offensive system Sarkisian runs — and the way his program develops receivers — is a key factor as well. Getting to Austin for his first visit this spring only pushed them up even further.

“It appeals a lot, having that Sark stamp is a big thing,” he added. “With the receivers he’s had, with Julio [Jones] at the Falcons. They go deep with the offense, so that’s big. Definitely my visit that I took the first time in Austin, I loved it. My family loved it, and they made them feel comfortable and at home. 

Ffrench has summer official visits locked in with LSU, Miami, Texas and Tennessee, running from the first weekend of June to the second-to-last. Each of the other programs are working to keep pace with Texas right now, and the Tigers are showing him a lot. He has connections to the area, and he has developed a good rapport with current commits and coaches. 

“I have family who stays right around Baton Rouge,” he said of why LSU stands out. “But Bryce [Underwood], Dakorien Moore, Coach Hankton, they all play a big part. Coach Sloan, he calls me a lot. All of those guys play a big part.”

Miami is the in-state school who has been pushing the hardest for him, and his relationship with receivers coach Kevin Beard is a big reason for them being in his top three. 

“Coach Beard, he’s the main one,” Ffrench said. “He’s a great receiver coach, and he calls me a lot, and we stay on the phone for hours. He’s really like a dad figure in the recruiting process.”

As for the Buckeyes, who were his top school until recently, he says they’re still very much in the picture. But they are running behind the other three. He doesn’t currently have an official visit scheduled to Columbus, but could visit at the end of the recruiting dead period in July or potentially in August. 

“[They’re in] that fourth spot, really behind Texas, LSU and Miami. I’m just evaluating them more. I’m maybe going to take that OV in the fall right before I announce.”

Ffrench has planned to announce right before his senior season, but he says if he’s feeling a certain team after his official visits, he could come off the board then. 

“If I’m feeling a school in June, I might want to announce then,” he said. “Those OVs will be big. I want to not have any doubts about it.”

Dark mode:

Spoiler

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

Reminds me of my best friend growing up, who was the number one junior golfer in America. He went to the best college golf program at the time and they changed his swing and he never recovered.

image.gif.67861dc998e163282f32bf96d12ed2f3.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Williams bitched out on attending IMG, right? Ball hasn’t been good at football since the mid-1990’s, the Casey Hampton years.

Turning down IMG to stay at Ball is a red flag. He should want to be developed and compete against the best. 

It's obligatory by this point:

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

95% of NFL QBs.  It's amazing to me that there's a contigent on this board that throwing mechanics don't matter.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

95% of NFL QBs.  It's amazing to me that there's a contigent on this board that throwing mechanics don't matter.

The last two posts were just on changing your throwing motion. Lee Trevino may have had a pretty rough time converting to a conventional swing. Same with Randy Johnson and Don Drysdale. Same with Bruce Lee.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Lee Trevino may have had a pretty rough time converting to a conventional swing. Same with Randy Johnson and Don Drysdale. Same with Bruce Lee.

Vince Young had a pretty unconventional throwing motion and he did pretty well.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

You talking about me? Sounds pretty similar. 

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

Who said throwing mechanics don't matter? Would you change's Quinn motion to over the top because his passes get batted down? Probably, and you'd fuck him up.

42 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Dumb question but how are Gerry and Bobby making money if they don’t charge? Ads?

It's just a hobby for them, supported by their thriving hydraulics business

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3