Final CFP Rankings Announcement Thread

Wally Pryor

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Georgia and Notre Dame both lost to another playoff team also.  It's a shitshow for the 4th spot.  Neither team deserves it because they lost to the only good team they played.

At least Georgia lost to Alabama and Notre Dame lost to Cincinnati.  Alabama lost to aggy and Michigan lost to Michigan St.  Pitt is in the NY6 and they lost to Western Michigan, the last place team in the MAC West.

The announcers for the SEC championship opined for a few moments about how they thought it was wrong that the committee would bend the ranks to avoid an immediate rematch of these two teams. Neither liked it. Neither do I.

Georgia was a bit overrated and Nick developed his team during the season into the usual monster it is. Both would have slaughtered us. 

Go Michigan! Fuck the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

The announcers for the SEC championship opined for a few moments about how they thought it was wrong that the committee would bend the ranks to avoid an immediate rematch of these two teams. Neither liked it. Neither do I.

Georgia was a bit overrated and Nick developed his team during the season into the usual monster it is. Both would have slaughtered us. 

Go Michigan! Fuck the SEC.

This thread isn’t about us, fucker! 

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Michigan played a much better schedule than Georgia.  That's how you can put them a head of Georgia.  Ohio St and Michigan St are much better than anyone Georgia beat.

SOS per Sagain

Alabama 7

Michigan 31

Georgia 35

Notre Dame 41

Cincinnati 82

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

People bitching that Cincinnati got screwed by drawing Alabama. I say that is there best chance since this year Alabama has played down to their competition and got burned once and it should have been twice. When they thought the other team had a chance they destroyed Ole Miss and Georgia.

Alabama is probably the least consistent of the 4 teams.

If the game was only 3 quarters long, we probably would have beaten Alabama!

42 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

Did Georgia ever actually beat a decent team this season?

They beat #19 Clemson 10-3.  They beat #25 Kentucky 30-13 when UK scored a late TD.  They beat #22 Arkansas 37-0.  Their next closest game was Auburn 34-10.  Prior to Alabama they had given up 83 points all season, best since 1986 OU.  Clemson was the only one within 17 points of them.

Alabama beat Florida 31-29, Georgia 34-7

Alabama beat Arkansas 42-35, Georgia 37-0

Alabama beat Auburn 24-22, Georgia 34-10

Alabama beat Tennessee 52-24, Georgia 41-17

If you look at all 13 games, Georgia was a really good team.

Massey composite has Georgia a very close 2nd to Alabama.

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Georgia was a bit overrated and Nick developed his team during the season into the usual monster it is.

In the last month, they beat a .500 LSU team by 6, outscored an Arkansas team they could not stop to win by a TD, and were an Auburn RB staying in bounds away from a loss. 

They’re hardly the “usual monster.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, bullet said:

Oklahoma St. lost a double OT game the day after a plane crash killed a number of members of their athletic department, just about 10 years after another crash killing members of their basketball team.

Irrelevant. They weren’t more deserving than either Bama or LSU. 

Edited by Porterhouse

50 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

471D25C3-5951-444D-AD05-ACB08F393822.gif.43e24397c0c11fc0140058b4114b1aca.gifbring the hate… tastes good. Good like QBs taste to Hutchinson. 

Hutchinson is a damn fine player, should play on Sunday’s. Won’t matter much in this game.
The problem is McNamara. He doesn’t have the weapons available to him that Young had last night. Nor does Michigan have the vertical passing game needed to exploit Georgia’s secondary.

Like I said, I hope I’m wrong. But I see this as a mismatch.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not convinced Georgia even tried last night.

During one of the post game shows, maybe CFB FInal, they were discussing the drastic improvement of Bama's OL from the Auburn game to UGA.

And during one of the clips shown you could see the Dog's DL literally just standing there watching the play

Just now, BluTechsan said:

During one of the post game shows, maybe CFB FInal, they were discussing the drastic improvement of Bama's OL from the Auburn game to UGA.

And during one of the clips shown you could see the Dog's DL literally just standing there watching the play

Do you even they-didn't-want-to-be-there bro?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Georgia has a complex vs. Bama.  I posted somewhere in the 1st quarter you could see Kirby was nervous.  He never looks that way.  Alabama played great.  Georgia didn't.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

In the last month, they beat a .500 LSU team by 6, outscored an Arkansas team they could not stop to win by a TD, and were an Auburn RB staying in bounds away from a loss. 

They’re hardly the “usual monster.”

Solid points. Maybe Georgia should have been knocked out of the playoff after losing to them. Not kidding.

• Like 1

..... and some of those interesting bowls would have been extremely compelling playoff games.....

but we digress....

pirate plays tceh in memphis

2 bowls in 3 days in frisco including the fighting kathy irelands, the roadrunners and the aztecs

smu v. virginia @ fenway

@Al_4_ISU v. clemson in orlando

north carolina v. south carolina in charlotte

aggy v. wake forest in jacksonville (comedy value alert)

pedder v. pig in tampa

fiesta okie lite v. domer

sugar rapelor v. klan

rose jort v. yutes

If you look at all 12-13 games people played, Georgia has clearly been the best.
Alabama has been very up and down.  They looked far and away better than any other time they have played yesterday.  Alabama was the best team yesterday, but discounting Georgia based on one day is pretty short-sighted.

Not necessarily basing Georgia on one day… we’re basing them on the last 40 years where they have choked away EVERY possible opportunity to live out these self fulfilling prophecies. They’re being graded by the shine from that Clemson win wearing off completely. Take that away and what has Georgia done? Sure, they’ve convincingly beaten the teams they should, but yesterday, they looked like OU in the playoff. It’s shameful that they were rewarded for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

I wouldn’t worry. I think y’all are a bad matchup for UGA. You have a better D than Bama too. Y’all would win in a 17-13 ugly dogfight.

I definitely think UM has a better D than Bama. I don’t think Michigan’s ball control offense matches up well with uga though. Going to need to open it up a bit but I think if Michigan can score 24 they beat uga.

Bama is a toss up. The only games I watched were auburn and UGA. They looked like shit vs auburn and for the first two drives vs uga then they flipped a switch and looked like normal we are the champs bama.

I am so happy with how the season has went. Last year everyone wanted Harbaugh fired. He just kept saying “we are close” I guess he was right this time. House money for the playoffs. Beat uga and play for a ship and hope the breaks fall blue.

3 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I am so happy with how the season has went. Last year everyone wanted Harbaugh fired. He just kept saying “we are close” I guess he was right this time. House money for the playoffs. Beat uga and play for a ship and hope the breaks fall blue.

Being close is underrated. 

What was the rationale for sending the #1 seed (Alabama) all the way to Dallas when the Orange Bowl is right in their backyard?  I get that a game with Cincinnati was gonna be the earlier game that day, but they typically put the #1 in the most geographic advantageous place available from the bowls in rotation that year.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What was the rationale for sending the #1 seed (Alabama) all the way to Dallas when the Orange Bowl is right in their backyard?  I get that a game with Cincinnati was gonna be the earlier game that day, but they typically put the #1 in the most geographic advantageous place available from the bowls in rotation that year.  

The Orange Bowl is in Alabama? Holy shit I never knew that. You learn so much on Surly 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Dallas is a lot closer to Tuscaloosa

5 minutes ago, BERT said:

The Orange Bowl is in Alabama? Holy shit I never knew that. You learn so much on Surly 

I meant it being in more friendly SEC territory.  Way more 'Bama fans/alums in Florida than in the Metroplex.  But I know Saban has his reasons.  I'm sure Sark has his reasons for missing out on bowl season altogether.

7 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Dallas is closer to Tuscaloosa than Miami by four hours and I guarantee that Saban prefers a place like Dallas over a place like Miami for a semi-final game. Way less opportunity to find yourself with a star player getting into shenanigans in Dallas.

Arlington 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I meant it being in more friendly SEC territory.  Way more 'Bama fans/alums in Florida than in the Metroplex.  But I know Saban has his reasons.  I'm sure Sark has his reasons for missing out on bowl season altogether.

That's fair. Bama will fill it up regardless. They could get 50,000 to a game in Russia (which is further from Tuscaloosa than Miami).

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Michigan can beat Georgia. I might even favor them slightly. Should be a fun game.

McNamara looks better than he has earlier in his career but he gets me nervous, he's the most inconsistent QB of most of the top 10 teams. I would be shocked if Michigan scored over 21 offensive points. For that reason I think Michigan is limited, and George is piss and going to play their asses off. Even though they choke every year, this when they might just make it. Bama beat the living shit out of them and they want revenge. Are they going to be the best game Georgia has played this year.

And I'm kind of rooting for Michigan (as an alum).

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

At this point, Jerryworld is Bama’s home away from home 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

At this point, Jerryworld is Bama’s home away from home 

That's true now that I'm looking at their bowl history.  

Texas has had such a wonderful and rich history at Jerryworld.  Figuring it would be a regular destination for us for Big XII title games and Cotton Bowls alike, we've played a whopping 3 games there over 13 seasons.  Saban is 3-0 in the Metroplex in postseason play.  And 5-1 in Florida in postseason play.  Only place he's not dominating is New Orleans at 2-3.   

I watched Kyler Murray torch us in the 4th quarter to seal yet another OU football conference championship in 2018.  I was there when Charlie Strong fucked up the coin toss twice to UCLA in 2014 and we lost that game.  And I was there when we beat Nebraska on a "get back on the field and put 2 seconds on the gameclock" to barely clinch the conference championship and set up the Alabama string of domination they've been on ever since in 2009.  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That's true now that I'm looking at their bowl history.  

Texas has had such a wonderful and rich history at Jerryworld.  Figuring it would be a regular destination for us for Big XII title games and Cotton Bowls alike, we've played a whopping 3 games there over 13 seasons.  Saban is 3-0 in the Metroplex in postseason play.  And 5-1 in Florida in postseason play.  Only place he's not dominating is New Orleans at 2-3.   

I watched Kyler Murray torch us in the 4th quarter to seal yet another OU football conference championship in 2018.  I was there when Charlie Strong fucked up the coin toss twice to UCLA in 2014 and we lost that game.  And I was there when we beat Nebraska on a "get back on the field and put 2 seconds on the gameclock" to barely clinch the conference championship and set up the Alabama string of domination they've been on ever since in 2009.  

Bama also played non-conf games there in 2012, 2015 and 2016.  Saban is very familiar with that stadium and probably has a major comfort level there

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Bama also played non-conf games there in 2012, 2015 and 2016.  Saban is very familiar with that stadium and probably has a major comfort level there

The word around the campfire is Jerryworld has always been super hospitable to Alabama when playing there

41 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Dallas is closer to Tuscaloosa than Miami by four hours and I guarantee that Saban prefers a place like Dallas over a place like Miami for a semi-final game. Way less opportunity to find yourself with a star player getting into shenanigans in Dallas.

Apparently you haven’t spent much time in Dallas. Just because the cokeheads go to a megachurch on Sunday doesn’t mean they’re not cokeheads.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

I thought we were a lock for a bowl game. I guess too many teams won 6 games?

82 slots, 83 teams with .500 records or better so they added another bowl game in Frisco.  Hawaii at 6-7 is #84, so they get to play at home.

Several 5-6 teams pulled upsets on the last day.  We were 2nd or 3rd on the list of 5-7 teams if there weren't enough.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

2 team playoff you don't pick the team that lost at home in a game everyone knew was a big game.  Bama was absolutely not "deserving" that year.

Sure they were. They were favored going into the game with an undefeated SEC champion, then proceeded to beat them 21-0. The purpose of the BCS Championship and now the playoff is to get the 2-4 best teams together. Bama was in ‘12, and Georgia is in ‘21.

This isn’t March Madness. I think it should be expanded to 16 teams and emulate CBB. But it doesn’t. 

Sure they were. They were favored going into the game with an undefeated SEC champion, then proceeded to beat them 21-0. The purpose of the BCS Championship and now the playoff is to get the 2-4 best teams together. Bama was in ‘12, and Georgia is in ‘21.
This isn’t March Madness. I think it should be expanded to 16 teams and emulate CBB. But it doesn’t. 

So shouldn’t they play a 3rd time to see who is truly best?

And btw losing essentially on a missed FG on the road so soon after friends and acquaintances died in a tragic accident is as close as you will get to an excusable loss as there is. And both Bamas and LSUs offenses were so mediocre there’s no way you can be certain they were the best two teams.

If Georgia now beats Bama, they will have to win convincingly to convince many they are the better team.
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So shouldn’t they play a 3rd time to see who is truly best?

And btw losing essentially on a missed FG on the road so soon after friends and acquaintances died in a tragic accident is as close as you will get to an excusable loss as there is. And both Bamas and LSUs offenses were so mediocre there’s no way you can be certain they were the best two teams.

If Georgia now beats Bama, they will have to win convincingly to convince many they are the better team.

If they beat them in a national title game, they won’t have to convince anyone of anything. 

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

we beat Nebraska on a "get back on the field and put 2 seconds on the gameclock"

colt's pass hit the rail in front of the first row of stands behind the corn bench 7 tenths of a second after the clock was at 00:00:02

there was 1.3 seconds on the clock when the ball hit rail

the ball crossed the sideline with more than 2 seconds on the clock

21 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

colt's pass hit the rail in front of the first row of stands behind the corn bench 7 tenths of a second after the clock was at 00:00:02

there was 1.3 seconds on the clock when the ball hit rail

the ball crossed the sideline with more than 2 seconds on the clock

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen sparrow?