Final CFP Rankings Announcement Thread

Wally Pryor

I hear you.  I'm not arguing for Notre Dame either.  I don't think teams who lost to the one good team they played should get in.  You should absolutely be penalized for a bad schedule when it comes to the playoff.

Edited by kevwun

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I hear you.  I'm not arguing for Notre Dame either.  I don't think teams who lost to the one good team they played should get in.  You should absolutely be penalized for a bad schedule when it comes to the playoff.

There just aren't that many great teams this year. Losing to the one good team you played and winning the rest is a pretty damn good resume in 2021. Clemson would kill for that resume and it would have put them in the CFP (I guess WF is okay).

• Hook 'Em 1

I absolutely would rather play Cincy.

Scared. Nah, but gimme Cincy all day over uga.

Still no one outside of 5 states wants to Georgia Bama final so why even leave a possibility out there.

I wouldn’t worry. I think y’all are a bad matchup for UGA. You have a better D than Bama too. Y’all would win in a 17-13 ugly dogfight.

because they can't (won't) rematch the semis, there are only 4 different games that can take place:

georgia/michigan

bama/cincy

georgia/cincy

bama/michigan

which game makes most sense for arlington, and which game makes most sense for miami?

bama/michigan will be 1/2 so cancel that matchup

arlington: michigan/georgia

miami: alabama/cincy

reverse engineer the rankings to fit

abracadabra

10 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Just fucking leave Georgia out, they got their ass beat.

Georgia needs to be bypassed again.  At least some in the media are pointing out they played an easier SEC schedule.   If this happened, what are the odds they start crying they are going to a bowl game they really don’t want to go to?

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Georgia needs to be bypassed again.  At least some in the media are pointing out they played an easier SEC schedule.   If this happened, what are the odds they start crying they are going to a bowl game they really don’t want to go to?

100% if they lose it 

15 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

no 2-loss team has ever been selected

your options to bypass 1-loss Georgia:

1-loss domer

P5 2-loss conference champions

P5 2-loss non-champions

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

This is one of those years where it wouldn't bother me if the committee felt that no teams were good enough to qualify for the playoffs and just cancel them.

I’m glad to see more support for my plan of setting an objective measure of playoff/championship-worthiness and taking only (and all of) those teams that achieve that standard. A variable-sized playoff is the path to a better tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, kevwun said:

Georgia and Notre Dame both lost to another playoff team also.  It's a shitshow for the 4th spot.

This.  I have no idea who #4 should be but I have a hard time stomaching a scenario where a team which has a data point less than 24 hours old shows they’re 17 points worse than another playoff team, has any business being in the CFP.  

• Hook 'Em 2

This is much ado about nothing. It's pretty set that it's going to be 1. Alabama, 2. Michigan, 3. Georgia, 4. Cincinnati

Once Alabama lost to A&M Georgia became a clear number one in the eyes of the committee so why, after 10 weeks or whatever, would the committee think "Alabama and Michigan are the two best teams" and not "Alabama and Georgia are the two best teams."? You can obviously point to what happened yesterday and the committee would just shrug. I think Georgia will get "punished" for not winning the SEC, but being 2nd or 3rd doesn't really matter. I just don't see the committee throwing out 13 weeks of their data and opinions on Georgia because they lost to Alabama, no matter how bad they lost.

These aren't my opinions, it's me trying to put myself in the mind of the selection committee.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Should be pretty easy for those bastards. Bama and Ga won't play back to back.

1 Alabama

2 Michigan

3 Georgia

4. Cincy

OP will be spot on which is a pity because Cincy can give Michigan or Georgia a real game.  Last year's Peach Bowl had Georgia winning 24-21 vs. Cincy, scoring 14-0 in Q4 as Cincy had a 21-10 lead ending the 3rd - and Cincy is better this year. Too bad we won't see the best team in Ohio in the title game. 

3 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

This is much ado about nothing. It's pretty set that it's going to be 1. Alabama, 2. Michigan, 3. Georgia, 4. Cincinnati

Once Alabama lost to A&M Georgia became a clear number one in the eyes of the committee so why, after 10 weeks or whatever, would the committee think "Alabama and Michigan are the two best teams" and not "Alabama and Georgia are the two best teams."? You can obviously point to what happened yesterday and the committee would just shrug. I think Georgia will get "punished" for not winning the SEC, but being 2nd or 3rd doesn't really matter. I just don't see the committee throwing out 13 weeks of their data and opinions on Georgia because they lost to Alabama, no matter how bad they lost.

These aren't my opinions, it's me trying to put myself in the mind of the selection committee.

It’s the secsecsec starting points coming out of the gate. 

Get credit for early top25 wins even if defeated teams don’t end the year ranked because - secsecsec

Get credit for early season loss because - secsecsec

Get credit for late season loss because - secsecsec

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Michigan played a much better schedule than Georgia.  That's how you can put them a head of Georgia.  Ohio St and Michigan St are much better than anyone Georgia beat.

ESPN SOS: Georgia 20, Michigan 21

Sagarin SOS: Michigan 31, Georgia 35

ELO SOS: Georgia 30, Michigan 38

That's just a small sample and I'm not saying I disagree with you, but what your eyes tell you isn't what the committee is going to see.

1 Michigan 

2 Bama 

3 Georgia 

4 Cincinnati 

Georgias best win was Kentucky.  They just got destroyed by an Alabama team that struggled this year.  I think the committee wants to avoid a repeat of the SEC championship game in the National championship 

although I could see where Georgia might just be left out all together 

Edited by EuroHorn

38 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

1 Michigan    2 Bama   3 Georgia  4 Cincinnati 

Georgias best win was Kentucky.  They just got destroyed by an Alabama team that struggled this year.  I think the committee wants to avoid a repeat of the SEC championship game in the National championship 

although I could see where Georgia might just be left out all together 

I would love for the Committee to have some "BALLS" and have Bama play Jawja in semifinals...  

(probably not gonna happen)

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Alabama vs. Michigan is the correct answer. We used to have a system that would give us that.

The only thing any playoff does in FBS is create arguments over which non-championship level team gets to lose in the playoffs. 

2008 Longhorns say hi you dumb ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Is Dallas closer to Tuscaloosa than Miami? Odd choice. Will Michigan fans travel well to Miami? I'm guessing so since this is their first major rodeo this century. 

Saban wants an audition for Cowboys HC in front of Jerry. 

Edited by Underdog

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

My only takeaway from the final 4 ranking is that yesterday's Big 12 championship game didn't matter. Oklahoma State wins that game and they're number 5.

Disagree. I think if oSu won yesterday, they'd be in at 4 over Cincinnati. It's a lot easier to put in a team that beat OU and Baylor twice over a group of 5. 

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

My only takeaway from the final 4 ranking is that yesterday's Big 12 championship game didn't matter. Oklahoma State wins that game and they're number 5.

Okie lite had 1 loss going in. Baylor had 2. It isn't the same scenario.

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

notre dame got screwed. 

Nope. They lost at home to Cincinnati. Only other decent win was Wisconsin (who was smashed at home by Michigan) and Purdue. Not a very strong resume'.

2 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

It only became that way when Bama beat Georgia. If UGA beats Bama and Okie Lite wins then I think had a shot, but Okie Lite really didn't have any signature wins. 

Honestly, there were only 3 "locks" - Bama, Michigan, and Cincy - with the fourth being up for debate. The options were ND (blown out at home by Cincy), Ohio State (didn't win their division and lost at home to Oregon), and Georgia (undefeated until SEC title game). 

If Okie Lite had taken care of business— especially if they had won convincingly— I think they’d have snuck past UGA and rightfully so. 

The two loss teams never had a chance. It’s an unwritten rule but it has held every year. You can’t lose two games. 

The only real debate was UGA vs Notre Dame and either way— a rematch was in the works.