The Climate thread

Laxtonto

Some of the ice probably fell off the edge of the flat earth.  Baby Jesus will just make more ice.  Everything is fine.

Close. The issue is that God is just doing this because you didn’t pray hard enough. Or trans people. Or books in school libraries. It is really your fault for not making our policies work.
  • Like 1

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/event-tracker/noaa-and-partners-race-rescue-remaining-florida-corals-historic-ocean#:~:text=In mid-July 2023%2C heat,(dating back to 1985).

Click the link for maps and such.  

NOAA and partners race to rescue remaining Florida corals from historic ocean heat wave

In mid-July 2023, heat-stressed corals in the southern Florida Keys began bleaching—expelling their food-producing algal partners—amid the hottest water temperatures ever documented in the region during the satellite record (dating back to 1985). As weeks of heat stress have continued to accumulate, bleaching and death have become more widespread, raising fears of a mass mortality event on the region’s already fragile reefs.

ET_bleaching-keys_July2023.gif

• Rage+1 1

Caught a little bit of Vivek Ramaswamy on Firing Line. Jesus, what a sleazeball. I couldn’t watch much. He’s so phony and contrived and I don’t have time to waste on a guy who has no shot. But on the subject of 100+ temps in the ocean off the coast of Florida? I’m paraphrasing here, but that’s just anecdotal evidence and if it bothers you then you’re just some rube who doesn’t know how to analyze the data. Not like him. He’s a successful CEO. That means he’s really smart and has all the answers.

<click>

Yes, the word “rube” actually passed his lips. 

Cross posting from Blastfurnace because I'm sure this will be one of their next conspiracy and denialism talking points:

Hook1997

So according to my Dad he talked to a guy who works for the energy department out of Austin who they talked to in person last week that lives in my hometown and commutes to Austin said...  In  the last year they shifted the temperature of the earth readings from 6ft above the ground to 2 feet above...  So that’s why readings are so high..  This is supposedly the guy who had a hand in deciding who had power and who didn’t during the big freeze and one of the smartest people they know.  I understand how none of this makes sense also.  Lol.   So even though temperatures are breaking records the soil temperature is not right because they lowered the reading level…. I just nod and don’t argue anymore because my dad is about to be 80 and his wife is a Fox News nut job who hasn’t worked in 20 plus years but is the loudest far right person I know, there’s no changing their opinion on anything. 

19 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Cross posting from Blastfurnace because I'm sure this will be one of their next conspiracy and denialism talking points:

Hook1997

So according to my Dad he talked to a guy who works for the energy department out of Austin who they talked to in person last week that lives in my hometown and commutes to Austin said...  In  the last year they shifted the temperature of the earth readings from 6ft above the ground to 2 feet above...  So that’s why readings are so high..  This is supposedly the guy who had a hand in deciding who had power and who didn’t during the big freeze and one of the smartest people they know.  I understand how none of this makes sense also.  Lol.   So even though temperatures are breaking records the soil temperature is not right because they lowered the reading level…. I just nod and don’t argue anymore because my dad is about to be 80 and his wife is a Fox News nut job who hasn’t worked in 20 plus years but is the loudest far right person I know, there’s no changing their opinion on anything. 

Ask them how that works with satellite data.

Edit: I suppose you could also throw in “But I was told heat rises” and watch their heads explode. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

My wife and I spent our 10th anniversary just a few miles north of Lahaina.  Honestly, if you had told me it was prone to devastating wildfires, I would have laughed.  I mean, it poured rain every day at ~ 4 PM, not for long, just enough to cool things off.  The land just off the beach was green as could be.  I realize the proximate hurricane is adding winds, but this is weird.  Same thing happened in 2018.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

I often wonder what bullshit @mop is thinking about these days. He had two brain cells and they were fighting over third place.

I knew that guy IRL for a while. Not a dumb guy, just indoctrinated. I was too when I knew him. I’d love to say “hey girl hey” to him now, actually I wouldn’t like that at all. It’s odd how climate change deniers are often evangelicals. As I sit here today, I would think being good stewards of the Earth would go hand in hand with worshiping the Earth’s divine creator.  Yet it took me realizing the Earth is it, that’s all we have to see it. Maybe if Jesus can save a soul he can miraculously save a planet and then we get out of jail free and don’t have to do anything. Yay us! 

Edited by troph

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My wife and I spent our 10th anniversary just a few miles north of Lahaina.  Honestly, if you had told me it was prone to devastating wildfires, I would have laughed.  I mean, it poured rain every day at ~ 4 PM, not for long, just enough to cool things off.  The land just off the beach was green as could be.  I realize the proximate hurricane is adding winds, but this is weird.  Same thing happened in 2018.

Lahaina is always a pretty dry area and this is dry season.  If it "poured rain every day" there, that is what's weird.  They average about 10 inches per year and like 8 rain days a month.

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.weather-us.com/en/hawaii-usa/lahaina-weather-november

In the face of the worst summer on record in Phoenix, climate change deniers are engaging in the same kind of gaslighting shit as when they said that Covid was no big deal. We see the same attitudes and arguments from the same assholes on this board.

Good, but frustrating, article: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/09/phoenix-heat-wave-republicans-00110325

Short excerpt:

“This weather is normal,” Justine Wadsack, a hard-line Republican in the state Senate, tweeted recently. “If ya can’t stand the heat in Arizona, you’re welcome to leave.”

Some conservatives suggest thermometers, like past vote counts, are rigged because they’re placed at the sun-scorched asphalt airport. Others say a national media frenzy is intended to promote the left’s climate change narrative and drive people to seek government solutions to a naturally occurring phenomenon.

The campaign account for failed GOP gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake, for example, accused Democratic Gov. Katie Hobbs and Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego of “pushing mass hysteria in an effort to declare a climate emergency” and blamed the heat-related deaths on “the METH their policies allow to flow freely on our streets.”

One of Arizona’s most vocal heat-skeptical lawmakers is GOP state Rep. Justin Heap. He’s engaged in frequent online skirmishes in which he dismisses the “media narrative” of climate change and suggests it’s part of a push on behalf of “global elites” who stand to benefit from massive government subsidies on green technology.

“Apparently the national media has decided we are all insufficiently frightened about climate change so it’s time to portray normal summer heat as the apocalypse,” he wrote recently.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

In the face of the worst summer on record in Phoenix, climate change deniers are engaging in the same kind of gaslighting shit as when they said that Covid was no big deal. We see the same attitudes and arguments from the same assholes on this board.

Good, but frustrating, article: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/09/phoenix-heat-wave-republicans-00110325

Short excerpt:

And this will be the norm until these people are literally on fire.  Even then, I have doubts.  Probably will end up like this.

terminator-thumbs-up.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Makes me so sad.  Our complete disconnect from our planet is tragic. The natural world is the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced. The fact that we don’t treasure it as the most valuable thing we possess is beyond me. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Makes me so sad.  Our complete disconnect from our planet is tragic. The natural world is the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced. The fact that we don’t treasure it as the most valuable thing we possess is beyond me. 

Just enjoy it while you can.  That's what I've decided to do.

• Like 1

A friend of mine works for the Fort Worth Water Department. He said the amount of busted water mains this year is "off the charts. We don't have enough crews to handle them all"  because the older mains are buckling in the heat, despite the fact that they actually had decent rainfall earlier this year ---- almost as much as the average. 

The entire denial thing is just weird. Even if you don't believe the science or the readings, how do you not believe what you're in every day?

Summers in Austin are terrible. Not THIS terrible. Summers in Austin are dry. Not THIS dry. Polar air that keeps the city under freezing for five days with 8 inches of snow? That doesn't happen. Until it did.

Ok, maybe it's a one-off. Well, it's been happening like this for 20 years now. And it wasn't like it before. Ok, it's just a natural cycle... maybe, but hasn't the science been saying for years that things are going to get worse and, wow, that's exactly what has happened?

I honestly can get being a skeptic when you see headlines like "hottest day in 120,000 years." I don't know how anyone could ever say that with certainty. But if you don't think that things are changing quickly weather-wise then there is no hope for you.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The entire denial thing is just weird. Even if you don't believe the science or the readings, how do you not believe what you're in every day?

Summers in Austin are terrible. Not THIS terrible. Summers in Austin are dry. Not THIS dry. Polar air that keeps the city under freezing for five days with 8 inches of snow? That doesn't happen. Until it did.

Ok, maybe it's a one-off. Well, it's been happening like this for 20 years now. And it wasn't like it before. Ok, it's just a natural cycle... maybe, but hasn't the science been saying for years that things are going to get worse and, wow, that's exactly what has happened?

I honestly can get being a skeptic when you see headlines like "hottest day in 120,000 years." I don't know how anyone could ever say that with certainty. But if you don't think that things are changing quickly weather-wise then there is no hope for you.

I've come to believe it's the same thought process (I use that term loosely) as the whole Critical Race Theory hubbub.  They think it indirectly blames them for climate change and it makes them feel bad, which strikes a chord with these idiots and sends them into defense mode.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

As a follow on to that, it seems like this is an extension of the American Exceptionalism nonsense.  They are perfect beings and everything they do is right.  These snowflakes can't admit that maybe human beings are flawed and should take steps to correct our actions and behaviors.  Yet isn't that what the fucking bible that they cling to teaches?  How do they square that?

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

1980 and 83 would like a word.  

It definitely appears to be trending the wrong way. But this heat (and ‘21’s cold) aren’t unprecedented.

There’s a dozen reasons why people aren’t willing to commit to fixing it.  Selfish, yes. Not able to understand why, no.   One quick look at the atrocities on the environment that happen around the world without a single fuck given, and often encouraged, should give us a big hint why.  

44 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It definitely appears to be trending the wrong way. But this heat (and ‘21’s cold) aren’t unprecedented.

Actually, it is, unless of course you mean to include the time of dinosaurs when atmospheric CO2 levels were much higher. 

https://weatherspark.com/h/m/8004/2023/8/Historical-Weather-in-August-2023-in-Austin-Texas-United-States#Figures-Temperatureimage.png.747726dc63c52202ad8f3edd26b567c5.png

For shits and giggles, here is the absolutely comparatively mild 1983 and 1980 figures: 

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/austin/year-1983

image.thumb.png.31c7abf2ed9416ad29b6097136384639.png

image.thumb.png.5a8f8c8c06362c307fbea32991bbf778.png

https://eos.org/science-updates/an-unbroken-record-of-climate-during-the-age-of-dinosaurs

The Cretaceous period is an archetypal example of a greenhouse climate. Atmospheric pCO2 levels reached as high as about 2,000 ppmv, average temperatures were roughly 5°C–10°C higher than today, and sea levels were 50–100 meters higher [O’Brien et al., 2017; Tierney et al., 2020]. These conditions resemble the most extreme scenario that the IPCC has predicted could occur by the end of this century, with pCO2 levels greater than 1,200 ppmv and global temperatures roughly 4°C higher [IPCC, 2018].

• Hook 'Em 2

Maybe it was Dallas in lieu of Austin but there was several consecutive days at 103-105 that year.  Either way, we are in agreement it’s getting worse.   But acting surprised Americans don’t want to cut back while African countries burn tire mountains to access scrap steel, Indians and Asians ship break right into the inland waters, and Ivory Coast pirates distill oil in the swamps isn’t surprising.   Not while anything north of the southernmost states is still vast and relatively affordable, anyhow.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

What part of "hottest July on record" makes you think 1980 and 1983 were as hot?

What part of "longest string of days with high temps over 100 F" makes you think the same?

I'm so fucking sick of this rationalization.  It's not grounded in truth.  Records are being broken, sometimes shattered, and often.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Maybe it was Dallas in lieu of Austin but there was several consecutive days at 103-105 that year.  Either way, we are in agreement it’s getting worse.   But acting surprised Americans don’t want to cut back while African countries burn tire mountains to access scrap steel, Indians and Asians ship break right into the inland waters, and Ivory Coast pirates distill oil in the swamps isn’t surprising.   Not while anything north of the southernmost states is still vast and relatively affordable, anyhow.  

I got you fam:

image.png.d352e140207bc89e2bfc85f0d40eec5c.png

As to CO2 emissions from other countries, the US is # 2 overall behind China.  The first African country doesn't appear until South Africa at # 15. Egypt is next at 26. Then Algeria at 35. On a per capita basis, the US is well ahead of all them:

• US at 13 tons per capita;
  • China at 7.8 tons;
  • South Africa at 6.7 tons;
  • Algeria at 3.7 tons;
  • Egypt at 2.0 tons

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I got you fam:

image.png.d352e140207bc89e2bfc85f0d40eec5c.png

As to CO2 emissions from other countries, the US is # 2 overall behind China.  The first African country doesn't appear until South Africa at # 15. Egypt is next at 26. Then Algeria at 35. On a per capita basis, the US is well ahead of all them:

• US at 13 tons per capita;
  • China at 7.8 tons;
  • South Africa at 6.7 tons;
  • Algeria at 3.7 tons;
  • Egypt at 2.0 tons

I know we are still the largest offenders. I’m just telling you why half the US population isn’t going to change their ways when others are encouraged to fuck the planet up. Not when you can move one state north and 80% of your everyday climate issues disappear. 

• Hook 'Em 1

To get a better sense of the relatively scale of US CO2 emissions, if the US were to cut it's CO2 emissions by half, it would be roughly the same reduction as if India, #3 on the world emission chart, stopped emitting CO2 altogether. Also, I hear India has a few more people than us. In fact, that 50% reduction in US emissions would be the same as if #48 through #197 on the world global emissions chart stopped emitting any CO2. Or the same as if Germany, South Korea, Brazil, and Canada (#s . 8, 9, 12, and 13) stopped emitting any CO2 . 

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know we are still the largest offenders. I’m just telling you why half the US population isn’t going to change their ways when others are encouraged to fuck the planet up. Not when you can move one state north and 80% of your everyday climate issues disappear. 

I get it. I'm mainly calling out the factually incorrect information you've cited (not unprecedented, other countries are more of a problem) because those are common beliefs by those that resist action on climate change. Even if you don't believe those things, quoting them without explaining their falsity is one way misinformation spreads. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

To get a better sense of the relatively scale of US CO2 emissions, if the US were to cut it's CO2 emissions by half, it would be roughly the same reduction as if India, #3 on the world emission chart, stopped emitting CO2 altogether. Also, I hear India has a few more people than us. In fact, that 50% reduction in US emissions would be the same as if #48 through #197 on the world global emissions chart stopped emitting any CO2. Or the same as if Germany, South Korea, Brazil, and Canada (#s . 8, 9, 12, and 13) stopped emitting any CO2 . 

Having been to Sri Lanka, one thing that would make a massive difference (here too with all the got damn gas leaf blowers and weed wackers) is if we banned two-stroke engines.  We have the battery technology now to replace all of those with electric versions.  Would be a massive effort, but massive efforts are what we need now.

Having been to Sri Lanka, one thing that would make a massive difference (here too with all the got damn gas leaf blowers and weed wackers) is if we banned two-stroke engines.  We have the battery technology now to replace all of those with electric versions.  Would be a massive effort, but massive efforts are what we need now.
Shanghai banned 2 stroke motorcycles and the electric whir of 100 bikes taking off at a light is so much more pleasant. As are the battery/catenary electric busses compared to diesel or methane power
  • Hook 'Em 1

What's the appeal of a 2-stroke street bike?  I had a Honda Elsinore as a kid, it made sense on dirt, but what a beating for a daily driver (rider).
They're simpler to manufacture than 4 stroke which means less expensive and less to break. The engines are lighter for a given displacement/number of cylinders. They're also more power dense because each cylinder has a power stroke every revolution rather than every other revolution.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, we here in the richest society ever, who have built wealth via by far leading the world in cumulative emissions, we just can’t do anything if the poor societies, who have mostly nil in cumulative emissions, relatively, can’t afford to match us. 

• Rage+1 2