Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

Just now, Immaculate Vibes said:

Some of the highest electricity rates in the country, rolling blackouts in the past. All while they’re about to shut down a large nuclear plant. Nonsensical. 

With a mandate to switch literally trillions of KwH energy demand over to electric.

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Zepol, what he is saying with the "drive less" comment is that there are a lot of people who can not only afford to drive less but to drive more efficient vehicles. That in turn would push down the demand for those that do have to commute resulting in lower fuel costs. For example, in my area people drive these monstrous trucks and suvs for no reason and can afford to simply keep on trucking right through these gas prices. If they would simply drive less or more efficiently it would drive the costs down. I literally had this conversation with my wife yesterday. She drove from work all the way home to pick up my daughter and then they drove to the grocery store and walgreens. She could've stopped at both on the way home. The day before she was going to make a special trip to return two folding tables we borrowed from a friend instead of dropping them off on the way to work the next day since she lives close to her job. Granted, she drives a car instead of an suv but imagine if this was a suburban(we have one of those too) she was doing that with?

Point is, Americans can't be bothered to be inconvenienced at all, especially Texans. We have known this would be a problem for decades and instead of readying ourselves we simply have ignored it in favor of the short term gains associated with the oil biz.

Appreciate the response. I completely get the point of the morons in Frisco driving F350s to their finance job. Those people are morons of the highest order and usually have an aggy bumper sticker, but some of the shit being said here is ridiculous. Our public transportation is complete shit for most people, I work downtown so I take the train when I have to go to the office 1 day a week but again for many people that isn't an option. Don't be poor, drive less, and learn to code isn't gonna do it for most folks I know but again I'm not surly 1% like the others here 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

Appreciate the response. I completely get the point of the morons in Frisco driving F350s to their finance job. Those people are morons of the highest order and usually have an aggy bumper sticker, but some of the shit being said here is ridiculous. Our public transportation is complete shit for most people, I work downtown so I take the train when I have to go to the office 1 day a week but again for many people that isn't an option. Don't be poor, drive less, and learn to code isn't gonna do it for most folks I know but again I'm not surly 1% like the others here 

Which is why we aren't talking about those people. We're talking about the ones who absolutely have choices and options to cut back but choose not to do so because they are Muricans, god dammit, and cannot be inconvenienced in any way, shape, or form.

• Hook 'Em 3

In reality no, but people are stupid and now getting hit hard financially and will blame who is in charge and it will probably fuck us election time. Sorry don't have a solution for this just bringing a different point of view 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

As part of their renewables push, much of Europe banned natural gas drilling, opting to instead import from many places including Russia. That gave Putin leverage over them, emboldened him and helped fund his government. 

Even before Putin invaded Europe was experiencing the beginnings of an energy crisis. Electricity rates were spiking. 

Some of the highest electricity rates in the country, rolling blackouts in the past. All while they’re about to shut down a large nuclear plant. Nonsensical. 

“You’re looking at committing capital 10 years out, that will need decades to offer a return for shareholders, in a policy environment where governments around the world are saying: we don’t want these products,” he said.

"Capacity is added by de-bottlenecking existing units by investing in existing refineries. But what we’ve seen over the last two years are shutdowns. We’ve seen refineries closed. We’ve seen units come down."

"We’ve seen refineries being repurposed to become bio refineries. And we live in a world where the policy, the stated policy of the U.S. government is to reduce demand for the products that refiners produce," he continued. 

Did you read the actual article?  It's the same quote I already posted.  But this was new:

“We haven’t had a refinery built in the United States since the 1970s”

Damn you Biden!

As for California, after a little research it looks like there are couple factors involved.  The biggest is the shear amount of fixed costs in the system...

One reason is that California’s size and geography inflate the “fixed” costs of operating its electric system, which include maintenance, generation, transmission, and distribution as well as public programs like CARE and wildfire mitigation, according to the study. Those costs don’t change based on how much electricity residents consume, yet between 66% and 77% of Californians’ electricity bills are used to offset the costs of those programs, the study found. PG&E filed for bankruptcy protection in January 2019, after being held financially responsible for a series of deadly and destructive wildfires in 2017 and 2018. 

Link

Another contributing factor is that homes with solar panels don't pay into the grid thereby lowering the denominator of people who pay for the above fixed costs.  None of that really has to do with the amount of energy produced.  They are consumption (demand) based issues.

In Texas we have supply issues...see ERCOT.

Edited by DixonHur
added link

23 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Which is why we aren't talking about those people. We're talking about the ones who absolutely have choices and options to cut back but choose not to do so because they are Muricans, god dammit, and cannot be inconvenienced in any way, shape, or form.

So...your best thinking and plan to help poor people (the people you aren't talking about) is to...expect the upper middle class and wealthy (surly 1% with the F350's in The Woodlands in our running example) who aren't feeling the pain and could not care less about paying more to gas up their v8's for daily yoga workouts, outside of it being a political talking point, to change their behaviors and sacrifice for their poor brethren? 

This is a worse answer than the non-answer of telling poor people to just go to the non-existent grocery store in their food desert and buy fresh food and make their lunch everyday while learning to code on break at the call center and just drive less and stay home on weekends.

Edited by Vegas64
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

So...your best thinking and plan to help poor people (the people you aren't talking about) is to...expect the upper middle class and wealthy (surly 1% with the F350's in The Woodlands in our running example) who aren't feeling the pain and could not care less about paying more to gas up their v8's for daily yoga workouts, outside of it being a political talking point, to change their behaviors and sacrifice for their poor brethren? 

This is a worse answer than the non-answer of telling poor people to just go to the non-existent grocery store in their food desert and buy fresh food and make their lunch everyday while learning to code on break at the call center and just drive less and stay home on weekends.

No, I expect the entire middle class to change its behavior. But I know that's asking too much for a spoiled rotten society.

Edited by David Dennison

Just now, David Dennison said:

No, I expect the entire middle class to change their behavior. But I know that's asking too much for a spoiled rotten society.

So you expect something but then in the next breath say you don't expect it. 

Serious question for you: do you see how you are irrational and why that might be frustrating to others who engage you in discussion around these sensitive topics?

Just now, Vegas64 said:

So you expect something but then in the next breath say you don't expect it. 

Serious question for you: do you see how you are irrational and why that might be frustrating to others who engage you in discussion around these sensitive topics?

I didn't say I don't expect it. I said I know it's asking too much for a spoiled rotten society. I'd love to be proven wrong.

2 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

Theatre major, eh?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

are there really people who can find their way to this site that are actually dumb enough to believe that the market dynamics governing oil and gas economics are actually driven by u.s. political leadership?

that is genuinely astounding to me.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Foosters said:

No, because he's a lying troll who's been banned multiple times for spamming disinformation. Why are you engaging him?

I've been away for 3 years, so I'm not up on the new trolls. 

But if he provides facts to back up his allegations, I'll engage.  I'm just giving him a chance to show his work.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I've been away for 3 years, so I'm not up on the new trolls. 

But if he provides facts to back up his allegations, I'll engage.  I'm just giving him a chance to show his work.

Welcome Back!

Everything is worse

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

Excuse me for this but....

Overuse of energy is how we got here dumb ass! We consume more and more of it and despite every single well informed expert telling us we are headed for disaster we mashed the gas pedal full speed ahead. Faster and faster cars. Bigger and bigger trucks. More and more electronics putting a strain on the infrastructure. Add to that big business and its corporate greed and here we are. I don't know where you live but I live in Houston. If you do drive by the refineries sometime and look at the condition of them. They all look like they are barely hanging on, and that didn't happen in the last 2 years. Those companies have done as little as possible to maintain their facilities. Big business is about lining the pockets of the rich and doing the least to keep facilities up or pay the lower tiered workers a livable wage. Look at what happened with the Texas power grid.

This society has become a society of people who could give two fuks about the next man besides what they can do for them. Everyone could benefit from driving less, no matter how much you have in the bank. The fact that you don't think that says more about you than it says about the guy you are arguing with. The real solution to the problem fell on deaf ears years ago. We should've been making the gradual move away from fossil fuels but oil lobbyists have done everything they can to block it, and people on this thread have voted in favor of the short term, monetary gain over long term success.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Without getting into the substance of what is driving inflation the most and what measures can be taken to improve the situation, which is of course more important, Trump is going to win in a fucking landslide in 2024 if the Democrat attitude is “move to Manhattan and stop driving, or buy a better car, or just lie back and enjoy it”.  Good grief.  

Your post is a great example of Dem messaging. For some reason, those on the right have had lots of success with what you just did - pick a statement by a random person (usually a random twitter account) that is divisive, then use that statement as the official policy of the DNC, and ask "with policies like these, no wonder the Dems struggle."

GOP politicians do it all the time. They amplify some leftist tweet, parrot it as the Dems policy, and within a week its getting run on Tucker as "Biden's plan."

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon