Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

12 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Someone’s inner aggy is coming out lol.

Also - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fuck em up, Joe.

He could have just said fuck Elon Musk. He's a loser and we are responsible for every dollar of profit Tesla has ever made in the federal government. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, VRHorn said:

I completely agree with this, but the D bench is a complete mess right now. Taking the hypothetical of "Biden doesn't run in '24" and gaming it out doesn't lead to a lot of good options.

There's a reason Biden had a cakewalk when Clyburn backed him - the rest of the field couldn't justify their candidacy (and I am a huge Warren fan.)

The 2024 conversations are going to be something.

There are two ways to look at that bench you call a mess.

One, I think many of the slate of candidates last election would have made fine presidents in a well-functioning republic. Warren was my favorite. Pete B., Jay Inslee, Kobuchar, Booker, or Beto would have been very good in the mythological republic I describe above.

Two, the mess is in the electorate with an assist from the mass media press won't consider candidates based on merit. The process is too much like a sport where casual fans follow projected winners and devoted fans vote for the jersey. CNN, MSNBC, the networks, and pundits throughout the nation largely cover the horse race where they behave like a oddsmakers instead of covering (it's soooo boring) anything resembling an actual discourse of ideas.

Still on Two, the press becomes obsessed with poll numbers (a fact) to debate on the panel shows where they discuss the fact and what it means about who might have the numbers. I think they're lazy and self-important, but they're also ratings driven. Polls provide graphics, the look of a race, endless chow for the superficial. 

I won't bother getting into the sound bites designed for an increasingly dull-minded, disinterested public whose diet of sound bites has given them an appetite only for sound bites. We've certainly covered the cult aspect of our politics.

Idiots vote for flashy packages based on hate, fear, and whatever superfluous issue has won the day in their minds. Dem voters aren't really smarter than GOPs, they just have at least a little humanity and some level of concern about the future.

In short, we're in a barely extant republic where quality candidates from anywhere on the spectrum can't really expect to get very far based on quality. The people don't want Lincoln or Roosevelt, they want Helmann's Real Mayonnaise. The Dem bench has added tiny bits of spice and feminine touch or changed the color of the label. Nobody wants to try that in the general election.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Two, the mess is in the electorate with an assist from the mass media press won't consider candidates based on merit. The process is too much like a sport where casual fans follow projected winners and devoted fans vote for the jersey. CNN, MSNBC, the networks, and pundits throughout the nation largely cover the horse race where they behave like a oddsmakers instead of covering (it's soooo boring) anything resembling an actual discourse of ideas.

Agree with everything, but particularly this. When I said "mess" I meant from an electability perspective (which is the most urgent concern) rather than a capability perspective. Biden is pretty much who we thought he was (minus losing some speed on his fastball) and the world he inherited is doing him no favors.

Whether it's Trump or DeSantis in 2024, the D's have a lot of soul-searching to do, and as we all know, strategic thinking isn't their strong suit (or rather, being able to convey that thinking to the public) and I don't know what they will end up doing.

The fact that people are blaming Biden alone for inflation and energy prices shows how completely fucker we are.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RatJuul said:

Mayor Pete was great. McK pedigree, business mind, operational rhythm, I guarantee he is a great people manager who balances being tough but fair demanding high performance behind the scenes, had good ideas, respected the military and didn't shove his lifestyle down anyone's throat.

Name a negative.

"operational rhythm" is such a beautiful phrase to describe the robot

I love it.

You almost got me, you bastard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, RatJuul said:

Mayor Pete was great. McK pedigree, business mind, operational rhythm, I guarantee he is a great people manager who balances being tough but fair demanding high performance behind the scenes, had good ideas, respected the military and didn't shove his lifestyle down anyone's throat.

Name a negative.

I highlighted two just from your own post.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

McKinsey guy: "Hey CNN, your average audience is under 550,000 but we're pretty sure if you set up an expensive subscription channel with content nobody is interested in you'll pull 2.5-3 million subscribers!"

CNN exec: "Hell yeah, here's a $50 mil consulting fee for this brilliant idea!"

Donkey: "This man would make the perfect president!"

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, RatJuul said:

This can't be a serious post. Stick to white knighting for Amber Heard and commenting on court proceedings with authority while having not watched.

Are you mad that you subscribed to CNN+ and they cancelled it on you?

7 minutes ago, RatJuul said:

I'm mad because you are better than that as I know for a fact you read Matt Levine and know the inner workings of CNN+ was political as the opportunists tried to ship the CNN+ product out before David Zaslav took over as CEO and while he was powerless to stop it. 

Also it's funny to remind everyone how you embarrassed yourself and your family name by defending Amber Heard.

Joke's on you, you don't know my family name.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RatJuul said:

I'm mad because you are better than that as I know for a fact you read Matt Levine and know the inner workings of CNN+ was political as the opportunists tried to ship the CNN+ product out before David Zaslav took over as CEO and while he was powerless to stop it. 

Also it's funny to remind everyone how you embarrassed yourself and your family name by defending Amber Heard.

Seek help.

16 minutes ago, RatJuul said:

are you ever not a piece of shit? have you ever said anything nice to anyone? why are you here?

11 hours ago, immamac said:

You think Pete would be doing worse than Joe Biden right now? Some of you are smoking crack. Joe sucks because he's old man joe. Anyone that grew up with the fucking internet would do better than Joe. I'm convinced his fucking press secretary would be a better president (both of them).

It's actually incredible how inept Joe Biden is.

I don’t know if he’d be doing worse, but very few people bought into his McKinsey Obama-lite rhetoric. Even if he were more authentic, it’s an unfortunate reality that a gay person cannot win a presidential election in our time.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

This is being repeated in just about every Republican circle. The line I hear the most is something like “I sure could use lower gas and some mean tweets right about now.” 

Which makes sense because they are abject morons. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:59 AM, Bama Chick said:

Someone’s inner aggy is coming out lol.

Also - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fuck em up, Joe.

Sic’em, Joe.  

The fuck is up with this 4morewhoredoors twat with the negs?  Pop a midol, bitch.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

If anyone has any suggestions on how to establish a multi-party system in the United States of America, I'm all ears.
Ranked Choice Voting would help a lot. Independents could vote their conscience before marking down the R or D as 2nd option. It would give us a better idea of how many people don't want to choose the lesser of 2 evils every time. Maybe seeing even a 10%+ on a third party would help build some momentum for alternative candidates.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was going to post this on the Elon thread in DT but it has political points in that the author, business and sometime political pundit Andrew R Sorkin, talks about Biden and Musk as a lost political opportunity. You can read it for yourself at NYT but here are the blurbs that stuck out to me.

Why does President Biden seek to antagonize Elon Musk?

On Friday, Biden did it again at a news conference at which he dismissed Mr. Musk’s worrying view of the economy, with a zinger: “Lots of luck on his trip to the moon.”

Biden’s beef with Musk seems to be a big missed opportunity — politically. By ignoring or poking fun at Musk, he has helped turn the most famed entrepreneur of our time, even if erratic, from being a Biden supporter — Musk voted for him — to a vocal backer of Republicans.

Musk, who has become increasingly polarizing as he has publicly switched allegiances, last month tweeted that he’s moving right, at least for the midterms, because “this administration has done everything it can to sideline & ignore Tesla.”

Biden has seemingly pushed aside someone who should have been a natural ally. You don’t have to like or agree with Musk to appreciate the power of his voice and potential political potency. And that’s true even if you think Musk is being petulant or his partisan shift is partly the result of other forces, or even if you think that he should be the subject of more regulatory scrutiny. Musk has historically backed Democrats, and his entire business is predicated on protecting the climate.

And Musk is could be an unusually powerful enemy: Love him or hate him, he has a loyal, almost religious following. Some of his fans have even tattooed his name, his face and the Tesla logo on their bodies. And he can often control the news cycle with a single tweet.

The Musk and Biden feud started more than a year ago, seemingly sparked by Biden backing auto unions, and unionization more broadly. Biden went so far as to push a provision in a bill that would benefit electric-car makers that are unionized at the expense of those that are not, namely Tesla. He frequently touts hiring figures by the likes of Ford, which last week said it was hiring 6,000 workers, without ever mentioning that Tesla hired nearly 50,000 people around the world in the last two years. (Biden’s latest barb came after Musk said he planned to cut thousands of jobs at Tesla, which Musk later walked back.)

Biden and Musk share many of the same policy objectives: namely, technological innovation and investment in green energy. These are the subjects of many battles with a recalcitrant Congress, and Biden has lost a powerful, if unpredictable, backer in his corner.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Musk has historically backed Republicans as often as Democrats and hates organized labor. They can have him.

When you say "they can have him" that is also saying they can have his acolytes. Everyone who could be D voters but fall somewhere in the camp of Elon, from "Weird Elon Stan" who jumps in front of Apu in that meme to business-first liberals to technocrats and libertarians to ego-centric and contrarian liberals who want to be smarter than everyone else.

I get saying "they can have those guys" but that is giving away votes that should be solid D-voters who care about the environment and technology innovation, as the author stated.

We need these people, every vote counts in a voter turnout war after all.

Now, if you were to tell me, "Yes, but what about the voters who get turned off and won't be D-voters because Biden is cozying up to a billionaire who acts like a petulant boy emperor? It's actually a net negative to have Musk as a political bedfellow", then I get it. But I don't know if that is the case. Do you? 

Biden’s core pitch was that he wasn’t going to be the bomb thrower Americans were watching the previous four years. Anyone expecting him to make waves unilaterally would be intentionally obtuse. I get the desire though.

He’s been the mediocre president many of his own voters expected.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Biden’s core pitch was that he wasn’t going to be the bomb thrower Americans were watching the previous four years. Anyone expecting him to make waves unilaterally would be intentionally obtuse. I get the desire though.

He’s been the mediocre president many of his own voters expected.

image.png.97c6c5f89f357bba5f47da4721f8248f.png

On 6/5/2022 at 1:41 PM, David Dennison said:

If anyone has any suggestions on how to establish a multi-party system in the United States of America, I'm all ears.

Do away with parties.  No D, no R.  Just names.  People might actually pay attention to what a candidate says.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, landman said:

Do away with parties.  No D, no R.  Just names.  People might actually pay attention to what a candidate says.

I wonder if ranked choice voting might be a step in the right direction

There’s a few different places that this stuff could’ve been placed, but given that we’re using executive actions I thought it could go here. 

Some good some bad. Still doesn’t address the vast majority of polysilicon production being based in China. Or other raw materials. We are making our energy security more dependent on them. 

Here’s a better use of the Defense Production Act. 

• Fuck You 1

Biden should simply tell the truth.

We inherited the biggest damn mess any President has ever inherited.  Thousands dying every day from Covid.  A President who just tried to get his supporters to overthrow democracy. A new vaccine to slow the covid deaths, but with almost no planning at all to get the vaccine distributed.  A NATO alliance weakended by the former President's love affair with Putin, and massive deficit spending.

Wow... What a difference four years made when the former President inherited the strongest economy with the lowest unemployment rate in decades for an incoming administration.  They added massive debt in tax cuts for billionaires and millionaires on the promise of increasing Job growth, but they could not even match the job growth they inherited.  And that was before the incredibly botched covid response that cost many thousands to die needlessly because the former President viewed covid as a 2020 election problem rather than a health problem that would kill a million American citizens he was charged with protecting.

So basically we had a hell of a lot of mess to clean up.  Just like President Obama and I did when we took the office.

I wish I could make inflation go away.  But we wanted to create a job making machine, and we did.  With the lowest recorded unemployment rates in modern history.  The worst thing is a lot of good could be done in Congress but every action is blocked by Republicans in the Senate.  You can't get a vote for anything without a Republican Senator blocking it for one reason or another.  For Christ's sake, it took an invasion by Russia to get Republican Senators not to block the ambassador nomination to Ukraine.  Think about that for a second.  We have solved the employment crisis, brought normality back to the nation with smart covid policy and vaccine distribution.  In the United States we allow private business to manufacture products rather than the government.  So we cannot turn on supply chains that we do not control.  But we will solve this problem just like all the other ones we have inherited.  But it will not be instantaneous.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, horn4life said:

it took an invasion by Russia to get Republican Senators not to block the ambassador nomination to Ukraine. 

GOP is such a huge back of dicks that even bob stoops has trouble imagining it. 

57 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

There’s a few different places that this stuff could’ve been placed, but given that we’re using executive actions I thought it could go here. 

Some good some bad. Still doesn’t address the vast majority of polysilicon production being based in China. Or other raw materials. We are making our energy security more dependent on them. 

Here’s a better use of the Defense Production Act. 

good, the bullshit TFG left behind is severely hampering the solar industry. oh wait, you are probably an O&G fanboy who wants to watch the world burn. green is future - might wanna get onboard!

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Biden should simply tell the truth.

We inherited the biggest damn mess any President has ever inherited.  Thousands dying every day from Covid.  A President who just tried to get his supporters to overthrow democracy. A new vaccine to slow the covid deaths, but with almost no planning at all to get the vaccine distributed.  A NATO alliance weakended by the former President's love affair with Putin, and massive deficit spending.

Wow... What a difference four years made when the former President inherited the strongest economy with the lowest unemployment rate in decades for an incoming administration.  They added massive debt in tax cuts for billionaires and millionaires on the promise of increasing Job growth, but they could not even match the job growth they inherited.  And that was before the incredibly botched covid response that cost many thousands to die needlessly because the former President viewed covid as a 2020 election problem rather than a health problem that would kill a million American citizens he was charged with protecting.

So basically we had a hell of a lot of mess to clean up.  Just like President Obama and I did when we took the office.

I wish I could make inflation go away.  But we wanted to create a job making machine, and we did.  With the lowest recorded unemployment rates in modern history.  The worst thing is a lot of good could be done in Congress but every action is blocked by Republicans in the Senate.  You can't get a vote for anything without a Republican Senator blocking it for one reason or another.  For Christ's sake, it took an invasion by Russia to get Republican Senators not to block the ambassador nomination to Ukraine.  Think about that for a second.  We have solved the employment crisis, brought normality back to the nation with smart covid policy and vaccine distribution.  In the United States we allow private business to manufacture products rather than the government.  So we cannot turn on supply chains that we do not control.  But we will solve this problem just like all the other ones we have inherited.  But it will not be instantaneous.

And the cupboard was bare when that great coach Charlie Strong took over, right?   

To quote Parcells, "You are what your record says you are”

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon