NASCAR shuts down "Let's Go Brandon!" sponsorship for Brandon Brown

C-Man

Good for NASCAR. Fuck off, Brandon Brown.

(Had no idea where to put this, BTW.)

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/05/sport/nascar-brandon-brown-lgbcoin/index.html

(CNN)NASCAR has rejected Xfinity Series driver Brandon Brown's sponsorship deal with cryptocurrency meme coin LGBcoin -- a reference to the controversial "Let's Go Brandon" phrase, his team acknowledged to CNN on Wednesday.

NASCAR's refusal to allow the LGBcoin.io sponsorship to be on Brown's number 68 car was first reported by FOX Sports and The Athletic. Brown announced the sponsorship deal last Thursday and posted a video of the car on social media.

"NASCAR did not speak with Brandonbilt Motorsports prior to making their decision to rescind the approval and multiple attempts to set-up a conversation to address this matter went unacknowledged," Max Marcucci, Brandonbilt Motorsports spokesperson said in a statement.

"The bottom line is that Brandonbilt Motorsports followed the standard process for sponsor and paint scheme approval and received approval from a NASCAR official empowered to make those decisions, and who makes those decisions on a regular basis. This official then confirmed and reiterated that we had received approval in a phone conversation after the announcement was made.

"We are disappointed that NASCAR leadership has chosen to rescind approval of this sponsorship and feel they should have the confidence to own their decision to backtrack and not gaslight a team or a driver.

"Like every team, we rely on productive and friendly working relationships at all levels of NASCAR. Unfortunately, NASCAR leadership's handling of this situation now threatens to strain our relationships and places us in an incredibly awkward position, yet again."

CNN has reached out to NASCAR for comment.

According to the Washington Post, citing a NASCAR official with knowledge of the deliberations, NASCAR executives reviewed the sponsorship proposal on Tuesday. Marcucci said the team was informed of NASCAR's decision Tuesday afternoon.

The Washington Post also reports that "NASCAR made clear during a November discussion about the potential sponsorship that it would not allow any reference or imagery based on the chant. NASCAR's formal decision was not a reversal, the official made clear, but the governing body's first and final word on the matter."

Brown planned to drive a "red, white, and blue livery with the logo and wordmark of LGBcoin aboard his No. 68 Chevrolet Camaro for all 33 races of the NXS season."

The 'Let's Go Brandon' chant started after Brown won his first career race at Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama in early October.

After the victory, Brown was being interviewed when the crowd started to chant, "F**k Joe Biden." The reporter interviewing Brown said the crowd was instead chanting, "'Let's go Brandon.'"

In November's NASCAR's state of the sport address, President Steve Phelps distanced the sport from the chant.

"I feel for Brandon," Phelps said. "I think unfortunately it speaks to the state of where we are as a country. We do not want to associate ourselves with politics, the left or the right. We obviously have and we've always had, as a sport, tremendous respect for the office of the president no matter who is sitting.

"I think it's an unfortunate situation. Do we like the fact that it kind of started with NASCAR and then is gaining ground elsewhere? No, we're not happy about that. But we will continue to make sure that we have respect for the office of the president."

In the December 19 New York Times, Brown told the paper, "Our whole navigation is, you want to appeal to everybody, because, all in all, everybody is a consumer. I have zero desire to be involved in politics."

The next day, the Woodbridge, Virginia, native wrote an opinion piece in Newsweek. Brown said that he "was afraid of being canceled by his sponsors or by the media for being caught up in something that has little to do with me."

Brown went on to write, "I have no interest in leading some political fight. I race cars. I am not going to endorse anyone, and I am certainly not going to tell anyone how to vote.

"But I'm also no longer going to be silent about the situation I find myself in, and why millions of Americans are chanting my name. I hear them, even if Washington does not."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, NASCAR shouldn't be allowed to set its own rules.

They absolutely should. I just think this rule is dumb. I understand their desire to stay apolitical, but it’s a fine line. Are they going to forbid Black Lives Matter stickers, rainbow flags, etc. Is all political themed stuff banned? If so, then fine. Just enforce it evenly, if not, then the rule itself is political, even if their desire is to be apolitical. But yes, it’s their business, they can do whatever they fuck they want. 

• Like 2

Just now, Neonmoon said:

They absolutely should. I just think this rule is dumb. I understand their desire to stay apolitical, but it’s a fine line. Are they going to forbid Black Lives Matter stickers, rainbow flags, etc. Is all political themed stuff banned? If so, then fine. Just enforce it evenly, if not, then the rule itself is political, even if their desire is to be apolitical. But yes, it’s their business, they can do whatever they fuck they want. 

Yeah.....I suspect they generally will forbid political themed stuff, PARTICULARLY stuff that is themed as -- literally -- a "FUCK YOU" statement.  They aren't in the politics business, and if you are seen as picking sides, you risk losing fans from the opposition.  Now, that's not a big risk here for NASCAR, because I bet not many Biden voters are big NASCAR fans, but still....bad business to wade into that shit.  And NASCAR is just a business.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.....I suspect they generally will forbid political themed stuff, PARTICULARLY stuff that is themed as -- literally -- a "FUCK YOU" statement.  They aren't in the politics business, and if you are seen as picking sides, you risk losing fans from the opposition.  Now, that's not a big risk here for NASCAR, because I bet not many Biden voters are big NASCAR fans, but still....bad business to wade into that shit.  And NASCAR is just a business.

If they don't grow their brand, it is hard to maintain profitability. The history of how it got started you're familiar with I'm sure, but the 'outlaw' mentality arising from illegal bootlegging strangely enough doesn't seem to have crossover appeal if NASCAR start(ed) encouraging other 'outlaw' groups to sit in the stands. I mean, is Cletus going to consider the grandson of a drug smuggler (how some Hispanic Americans are viewed by certain closed minded people) from the same mindset as Grandpappy Otis and just trying to feed his family? Hell naw. So NASCAR is corporate and that is a fine needle to thread IMO, especially if that demographic is not as large as it used to be.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
adding

I'm tired of liberal NASCAR violating the First Amendment by drowning out conservative points of view! We need to drag their executives to the Hill to testify. 

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Rainbow flags are the same as saying "Fuck Joe Biden?"

Nah. And not even particularly close, tbh.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I ran a rainbow paint job on your mom for years and years.

Yeah, it's a dumb thing to even have to discuss.  But if they wanna tell you what you can have on your car when you run on their tracks in their races on their TV broadcasts, tough shit Brando.  

Can we combine LGB (Let's Go Brandon) to include Trump, Qanon, + maybe other political movements we agree with?  Really stick it to that rainbow flag community!?!?

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I ran a rainbow paint job on your mom for years and years.

Yeah, it's a dumb thing to even have to discuss.  But if they wanna tell you what you can have on your car when you run on their tracks in their races on their TV broadcasts, tough shit Brando.  

Can we combine LGB (Let's Go Brandon) to include Trump, Qanon, + maybe over political movements we agree with?  Really stick it to that rainbow flag community!?!?

You have my full enthusiasm for making morons believe that LGBTQ+ is the acronym for their beliefs.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Also, I think I posted this on one of the racing threads, but Brian Vickers' wife was a sex scheduler for Jeffrey Epstein

https://jalopnik.com/one-nascar-drivers-wife-was-jeffrey-epsteins-alleged-s-1848185282

I call bullshit.  I was on the indeed.com website earlier and there was no "Sex Scheduler" from the drop-down menu of previous occupations.  

Also, how would one go about on the LGBcoin website, saying that all the money was going to LBGTQ+ causes to momentarily crash their currency?  Do you have to just register an email account or actually invest in the currency itself?  

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah can't argue with that, poor taste, and they're a private enterprise so fuck cries of censorship.

I think all sports leagues should refrain from any on field/track expressions of political opinions, whether I agree with them or not.  Let athletes do that on their own time and on their own social media.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I think all sports leagues should refrain from any on field/track expressions of political opinions, whether I agree with them or not.  Let athletes do that on their own time and on their own social media.

Shut up and sing (dribble!)

I’m fine with the FAAFO approach. Let the market decide the consequences. 

Edited to say that the private sector makes its own rules. I include the penalty private entities impose in FAAFO. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Explained

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

most of these people have waited their entire lives to be in on an inside joke, you gotta let them have this. 

That's a good point.  For 40 years, their peak comedy experience was Gallagher in Branson.  Now they're part of their own little inside "Seinfeldism" 

It's their private water-cooler moment to laugh about until Linda from HR comes by and says, "What's so funny?  I like jokes..."  

Get used to it though, they're gonna beat it to death for the next 3 years.  We're maybe 6-9 months away from the "Let's Go Brandon" comedy tour emceed by Greg Gutfeld.  Jeff Dunham as the headliner with a Biden-looking puppet (which is basically his current puppet anyway).  Okay, not sure of the details but the actual effort is already underway.  And yes, Carrot Top already passed. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Has this been an issue? Which sports leagues are expressing political opinions on their fields? Is the NFL stenciling in "Raise the capital gains tax" in end zones? Is the NBA creating a "Need term limits now" logo for center courts?

I saw this at the Home Depot in mid-town last week. I took a couple of minutes to scrape it off because it just looks ridiculous. I didn’t say anything to anyone, but I wasn’t going to let it stay there. The childishness you have to have in you to even put this sticker anywhere in public that isn’t the Fox News, aka “BS Mountain”, fortress down the street is astounding.

277473A4-714A-4950-B0F7-0D85110B1928.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The childishness you have to have in you to even put this sticker anywhere in public that isn’t the Fox News, aka “BS Mountain”, fortress down the street is astounding.

It's childishness and cowardice.  None of my liberal friends/family members have any problem saying "Fuck Donald Trump" but Republicans act like little kids saying "fudge you" instead of "fuck you" because they are afraid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Laugh now, Libtards. NASCAR has dug their own grave.

True Americans are already turning to the far superior and unfettered PARLERCAR.

We joke, but NASCAR has been on a decline since 2005-2010.  It's been discussed many times in the NASCAR thread here and on the old site, but they've got problems, and they definitely don't want this LGB bullshit.  They are doing everything they can to attract new fans from outside their traditional audience, and the Let's Go Brandon shit is probably giving them migraines.  And because NASCAR owns a lot of the tracks, they have a lot that could drag them down financially if they can't get new fans.

Tony Stewart had some success with the racing league he created, and if he and a few other leagues at various levels can up their game a bit more in the next few years, NASCAR could be the one to suffer.

Edited by atomheartbevo

PARLERCAR - Only RIGHT turns.
You fuckers are on to something. Fuck restrictor plates, emission controls and unleaded gasoline. I want a cloud of leaded blue smoke, deadly accidents in the pits, moonshine, Moonpies, Skynnard, big old southern titties, chicken fried steak on a stick, gravy cups, 45 oz cups of domestic light beer, and let the kids have a dang pack of smokes for fucks sake.

"We Only Turn Right!"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

You fuckers are on to something. Fuck restrictor plates, emission controls and unleaded gasoline. I want a cloud of leaded blue smoke, deadly accidents in the pits, moonshine, Moonpies, Skynnard, big old southern titties, chicken fried steak on a stick, gravy cups, 45 oz cups of domestic light beer, and let the kids have a dang pack of smokes for fucks sake.

"We Only Turn Right!"

6a86df7e4c4c81988792de80741f3d44.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

"We Only Turn Right!"

And run them at Talladega, and take down a bunch of that tall fencing on the straightaways, all that does is interfere with the folks being able to see Amerkans turning right!

18 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

"We Only Turn Right!"

Uuuuh. Would watch. On tv. 

3 hours ago, Born to Run said:

"We Only Turn Right!"

There ain't one damn thing wrong with moonshine, Moonpies, Skynyrd (spell it right, dammit), big ol' southern titties, or chicken fried steak on a stick.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

most of these people have waited their entire lives to be in on an inside joke, you gotta let them have this. 

My BIL thought it was really cute to wrap my wife's and my Christmas presents in "Let's Go Brandon" wrapping paper knowing full well we can't stand Trump and the other MAGAts. It damn near ruined the day. My wife was fucking pissed. I tried to play it off as best I could in order to keep the proceedings from flying completely off the rails. I know he's a total moron too.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

That's a good point.  For 40 years, their peak comedy experience was Gallagher in Branson.  Now they're part of their own little inside "Seinfeldism" 

It's their private water-cooler moment to laugh about until Linda from HR comes by and says, "What's so funny?  I like jokes..."  

Get used to it though, they're gonna beat it to death for the next 3 years.  We're maybe 6-9 months away from the "Let's Go Brandon" comedy tour emceed by Greg Gutfeld.  Jeff Dunham as the headliner with a Biden-looking puppet (which is basically his current puppet anyway).  Okay, not sure of the details but the actual effort is already underway.  And yes, Carrot Top already passed. 

Jim Breuer is firing up the tour bus.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

My BIL thought it was really cute to wrap my wife's and my Christmas presents in "Let's Go Brandon" wrapping paper knowing full well we can't stand Trump and the other MAGAts. It damn near ruined the day. My wife was fucking pissed. I tried to play it off as best I could in order to keep the proceedings from flying completely off the rails. I know he's a total moron too.

Jim Breuer is firing up the tour bus.

I am glad you were able to handle a situation that could have gone completely off the rails. It is just embarrassing how low people are going to go with this. It’s not clever nor funny. I am all for reconciliation taking place, but clearly you have a BIL in need of some serious help through therapy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Were NASCAR smart they wouldn't allow any political content on cars: that goes for people, causes, or whatever.  I want sports to be an escape from the daily BS.

I agree. Stop the national anthem shit

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Were NASCAR smart they wouldn't allow any political content on cars: that goes for people, causes, or whatever.  I want sports to be an escape from the daily BS.

I agree 100%.  We can start w/ eliminating the playing of the Star Spangled Banner and moments of prayer before sporting events.   That's one hell of a start. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I don't even watch NASCAR. Haven't watched it since Carl Edwards retired 5 years ago. Formula 1 is so much better. 

Me too, but "Lass Uns Gehen Brandon!" doesn't have the same ring to it. 

"Andiamo Brandon!" kinda sounds catchy and fun though.  

11 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Has this been an issue? Which sports leagues are expressing political opinions on their fields? Is the NFL stenciling in "Raise the capital gains tax" in end zones? Is the NBA creating a "Need term limits now" logo for center courts?

LOLz.   My favorite part of politics is when people claim their ain't no politics here...

58 minutes ago, slorch said:

LOLz.   My favorite part of politics is when people claim their ain't no politics here...

Been politics in sports for many centuries, whether sanctioned or personal statements.

This is commerce and selling vodka, so no politics, just straight capitalism.

Sporting Event Airplane Banner Advertising | Van Wagner

But is this a different type of commerce, or a combination of things?

The Aviationist » The impressive sight of the Blue Angels ...

I enjoy flyovers I admit.

Was the Brooklyn Dodger's position wholly financial or political? The decision may have been seen one way back in the day but its reception depending upon one's views  certainly had an effect:

1947-jackie-robinson-AP_448488268307.jpg

Not endorsed by the Committee:

Amazon.com: Black Power (Tommie Smith & John Carlos ...

There are a lot of personal expressions, but to find the politics that are systemically embedded in some leagues (like the NFL with its history of tax subsidies, lobbying for exemptions from anti-trust laws, etc), it would take a lot of posts and space so I'll stop here.

Athletics and similar cultural events are too prominent in our society to not get caught up in the movements that surround us.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1