Black Monday NFL 2022 thread

shadow_operative

38 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Brian Flores' career is pretty much over, you don't go against the NFL and especially an owner and get another shot. But of course he's a black head coach so he probably wasn't gonna get another shot at coaching.

He can replace Jeff Fisher week 3 of the upcoming USFL season.

30 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

the amount of good ol' boy network and nepotism in the NFL coaching ranks is astonishing.  and sometimes, those go hand in hand.

Nate Hackett was just hired as the Broncos HC.  his dad is former NFL coach Paul Hackett.

Nate got his first job in the NFL with Jon Gruden at Tampa.  Gruden's first real coaching job?  when Paul Hackett hired him to be WR coach at Pitt.

so Gruden returns the favor by bringing on Nate Hackett to give him a start in coaching.  

this stuff is just so rampant and incestuous.  guys who are either related or buddies keep getting hired or rehired.  i'm sure Klint Kubiak will be an HC next year.

5 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

oh jeez.  so Klay gets hired by Kyle Shanahan.  would you believe this?  Klay's dad Gary Kubiak had hired Kyle Shanahan to be his WR coach in Houston.  and guess who was Kubiak's head coach when Kubiak was OC for the Broncos?  why, it was Kyle's dad Mike Shanahan.

and now Kyle Shanahan hires Gary's son Klay.  

in the NFL, as it is in a lot of board rooms, it's not what you know, it's who you know.  and black coaches don't know enough relatives or buddies in the biz.

And each of these guys will swear they are self made. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Company I used to work for apologized for not hiring an African American for two senior level positions.  Said they would do their best on the next hiring round and to their credit they did

To their credit?  I need more context but they shouldn’t get credit for that in a vacuum. 

Edited by Porterhouse

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Aren't those Belichick (a NE Patriots employee) texts about what the Giants (not his employer) are doing the very definition of hearsay?  I mean it doesn't mean it isn't going on or that it isn't entertaining as hell to see it, but in the context of a legal matter seems a bit flimsy.

The entire suit sounds flimsy. We are watching a meltdown. 

49 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t see that. If what he’s saying is true, he should keep his mouth shut and interview with other teams. He had an excellent reputation despite tensions with GM/players, which may be overblown. He literally gave up his career. I hope he gets paid, and paid very, very well. 

I think Flores got paid pretty well already.  Didn't he get a 5 year fully guaranteed contract?  If he invested it wisely he's set for life. sure he can sue if he wants and he can expose the tanking request.  It's all his call.

Pretty sure you're going to be proven wrong about that. This is a big deal for the NFL and will result in a big payout and/or changes in hiring practices. They cannot win this one in the court of public opinion.
  • Hook 'Em 2

As a Dolphins fan.  (Shame,shame,shame)

1.) Flores firing from Dolphins is fuck

2.) Of course some portion of Rooney Rule interviews are going to be going through the motions.

3.) I don’t see the racism in the Belichick texts.  It’s completely plausible someone texted him that “Brian” got the job and he made assumptions from there.  (Believe me as a Dolphins fan I have every ulterior motive to hope Belichick gets fucked over)

4.) Staggered that this dude is going scorched earth.  He had a pretty impressive performance to sell and another HC coaching opportunity seemed to be when but not if.

5.) Totally agree NFL coaching is an cesspool of nepotism.  But thats not unique whatsoever to the NFL

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

2.) Of course some portion of Rooney Rule interviews are going to be going through the motions.

3.) I don’t see the racism in the Belichick texts.  It’s completely plausible someone texted him that “Brian” got the job and he made assumptions from there.  (Believe me as a Dolphins fan I have every ulterior motive to hope Belichick gets fucked over)

4.) Staggered that this dude is going scorched earth.  He had a pretty impressive performance to sell and another HC coaching opportunity seemed to be when but not if.

5.) Totally agree NFL coaching is an cesspool of nepotism.  But thats not unique whatsoever to the NFL

This is true, and it's one of the reasons why accusations of systemic racism persist.

Pretty sure you're going to be proven wrong about that. This is a big deal for the NFL and will result in a big payout and/or changes in hiring practices. They cannot win this one in the court of public opinion.

Like they did Kaepernick and others, he’ll get a shitpot of money to shut up and go away. It wont go to trial. We have no clue how Ross will defend it. Supposedly he was let go because he didn’t communicate worth a shit. I don’t think Elway showing up “hung over” is evidence of racism. I have had candidates enter an interview and then immediately crater themselves. Little things like poor hygiene, or not showing up with paper and pen, or lacking basic industry knowledge. Or right out of the gate making demands. I would not hire Flores but would be talking to Raheem Morris or Leftwich or Frazier.

Pretty sure you are underestimating the court of the public opinion’s love for the NFL and willingness to stand by the shield in most any situation.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Pretty sure you are underestimating the court of the public opinion’s love for the NFL and willingness to stand by the shield in most any situation.

This. 99.9% of nfl fans don't even know what the rooney rule is and will just think Flores is a bitch. Which he may or may not be. But damn...what a way to make sure you never work in the league again.   

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He was still interviewing for jobs. Strange timing. 

The Texans were planning to hire him all along but they just brought in Josh McCown to interview for the second year in a row because they wanted to show everyone they aren't biased against candidates with zero coaching experience above the high school level. I guess now they will have to settle for the white FCA guy with the weak resume.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, pops said:

This. 99.9% of nfl fans don't even know what the rooney rule is and will just think Flores is a bitch. Which he may or may not be. But damn...what a way to make sure you never work in the league again.   

99% think Flores is a Mexican.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Always go thru discovery.

The Broncos said five executives traveled to Providence, R.I., for the interview and it started “promptly at the scheduled time of 7:30 a.m. on Jan. 5, 2019,” and lasted the “fully allotted time” of 3 1/2 hours.

“Pages of detailed notes, analysis and evaluations from our interview demonstrate the depth of our conversation and sincere interest in Mr. Flores as a head coaching candidate,” the Broncos said. “Our process was thorough and fair to determine the most qualified candidate for our head coaching position. The Broncos will vigorously defend the integrity and values of our organization — and its employees — from such baseless and disparaging claims.”

In November 2020, ahead of the Dolphins’ visit to the play the Broncos, Flores participated in a conference call with the Denver media. He said he remembered his interview with the Broncos “vividly.”

“It was just great, for me, doing my own background work and learning more about the Denver Broncos and their history, the Bowlen family and the great history that they have there as an organization,” Flores said. “I was excited to interview with them. I thought it went well. … I think Vic is a great coach. They got the right coach and the right people in place. … It was a good experience for me personally.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/02/01/brian-flores-lawsuit-nfl-broncos-dolphins-giants/

3 minutes ago, torre said:

Always go thru discovery.

The Broncos said five executives traveled to Providence, R.I., for the interview and it started “promptly at the scheduled time of 7:30 a.m. on Jan. 5, 2019,” and lasted the “fully allotted time” of 3 1/2 hours.

“Pages of detailed notes, analysis and evaluations from our interview demonstrate the depth of our conversation and sincere interest in Mr. Flores as a head coaching candidate,” the Broncos said. “Our process was thorough and fair to determine the most qualified candidate for our head coaching position. The Broncos will vigorously defend the integrity and values of our organization — and its employees — from such baseless and disparaging claims.”

In November 2020, ahead of the Dolphins’ visit to the play the Broncos, Flores participated in a conference call with the Denver media. He said he remembered his interview with the Broncos “vividly.”

“It was just great, for me, doing my own background work and learning more about the Denver Broncos and their history, the Bowlen family and the great history that they have there as an organization,” Flores said. “I was excited to interview with them. I thought it went well. … I think Vic is a great coach. They got the right coach and the right people in place. … It was a good experience for me personally.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/02/01/brian-flores-lawsuit-nfl-broncos-dolphins-giants/

No mention of Elway reeking of Tuaca with a penis drawn on his face?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Brian Flores' career is pretty much over, you don't go against the NFL and especially an owner and get another shot. But of course he's a black head coach so he probably wasn't gonna get another shot at coaching.

Yeah, I respect the hell out of him for pulling a Curt Flood on this, but he's going to get absolutely zero personal benefit from this lawsuit.

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, I respect the hell out of him for pulling a Curt Flood on this, but he's going to get absolutely zero personal benefit from this lawsuit.

He'll get a huge payout from this and force the league to hire more minorities.  He has ironclad evidence that the policy the league itself implemented is being ignored and was just for show.  

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

the amount of good ol' boy network and nepotism in the NFL coaching ranks is astonishing.  and sometimes, those go hand in hand.

Nate Hackett was just hired as the Broncos HC.  his dad is former NFL coach Paul Hackett.

Nate got his first job in the NFL with Jon Gruden at Tampa.  Gruden's first real coaching job?  when Paul Hackett hired him to be WR coach at Pitt.

so Gruden returns the favor by bringing on Nate Hackett to give him a start in coaching.  

this stuff is just so rampant and incestuous.  guys who are either related or buddies keep getting hired or rehired.  i'm sure Klint Kubiak will be an HC next year.

There are prolly more coaches whose dad are coaches than there are black coaches.

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

On #3, I didn’t go back and look but wasn’t the timing the issue. Didn’t the text come before his interview which means they had made the hire before interviewing him and that was just a token interview. I may be 100% off on that, but that’s what I remember from scanning everything earlier today.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brew said:

On #3, I didn’t go back and look but wasn’t the timing the issue. Didn’t the text come before his interview which means they had made the hire before interviewing him and that was just a token interview. I may be 100% off on that, but that’s what I remember from scanning everything earlier today.

That’s not how I understood it, but am not certain to be frank.  

9 minutes ago, Brew said:

Correct, that is exactly his argument.

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I think Flores got paid pretty well already.  Didn't he get a 5 year fully guaranteed contract?  If he invested it wisely he's set for life. sure he can sue if he wants and he can expose the tanking request.  It's all his call.

Of course it’s his call. It reeks of bullshit and desperation. And he’s absolutely throwing away his career. 

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:
3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Maybe, but his petition sounds flimsy, lacks focus and meanders all over the place. His settlement will fall well short of what he threw away by filing suit in the first place, and the NFL will be fine.  

34 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Correct, that is exactly his argument.

His problem is Bill Belichick isn't an employee or representative of the NY Giants or Mr Flores so it's hearsay and doesn't do much.

I guess with the texts they could call Bill to the stand and try to get something that substantiates why he made those comments.  But seems all he needs to do is claim confusion that is already apparent in the text (oh that whole thing was just one big fuck up, etc) that he just heard some folks liked him and other soft bullshit like that.  

Man that would be entertaining though. 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Maybe, but his petition sounds flimsy, lacks focus and meanders all over the place. His settlement will fall well short of what he threw away by filing suit in the first place, and the NFL will be fine.  

If you can’t see there is a problem in NFL hiring, then you clearly are part of the problem. This whole hiring cycle is a continuation of a long standing cluster and for whatever he reason he feels like he needs to take a stand. His lawsuit doesn’t have to be iron clad, it just has to pull back the curtain a little further than it is and show the Rooney rule enforcement for the hypocrisy it is. He may not get a dime (he will, but just for arguments sake let’s assume he doesn’t), but you can guarantee there will be revisions made to the hiring process and the Rooney rule. Hopefully, meaningful change comes out of it as he and several others should have jobs over McCarthy and various others right now. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Brew said:

If you can’t see there is a problem in NFL hiring, then you clearly are part of the problem. This whole hiring cycle is a continuation of a long standing cluster and for whatever he reason he feels like he needs to take a stand. His lawsuit doesn’t have to be iron clad, it just has to pull back the curtain a little further than it is and show the Rooney rule enforcement for the hypocrisy it is. He may not get a dime (he will, but just for arguments sake let’s assume he doesn’t), but you can guarantee there will be revisions made to the hiring process and the Rooney rule. Hopefully, meaningful change comes out of it as he and several others should have jobs over McCarthy and various others right now. 

What I think about the Rooney rule is irrelevant to my hunch that Flores is a moron. 

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

His problem is Bill Belichick isn't an employee or representative of the NY Giants or Mr Flores so it's hearsay and doesn't do much.

Well, sure, the Giants will just say that Belichick was mistaken or whatever, but the timing of the text vs his scheduled interview explains why he claims it is evidence of racial discrimination.

30 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Obviously we don't know Flores motivation beyond what he says, but his going scorched earth like this leads me to believe he didn't believe that he was ever going to work in the league again regardless of whether he filed a law suit. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Obviously we don't know F'lores motivation beyond what he says, but his going scorched earth like this leads me to believe he didn't believe that he was ever going to work in the league again regardless of whether he filed a law suit. 

I would say that if his issues with Miami ownership are accurate, then he probably believed Ross was going to poison the well amongst other owners which would keep him from getting another head coaching job any time soon.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Obviously we don't know Flores motivation beyond what he says, but his going scorched earth like this leads me to believe he didn't believe that he was ever going to work in the league again regardless of whether he filed a law suit. 

He was probably going to get a HC job this year. If not he would have been able to get a DC job whenever he wanted. 

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Well, sure, the Giants will just say that Belichick was mistaken or whatever, but the timing of the text vs his scheduled interview explains why he claims it is evidence of racial discrimination.

And I get he claims that and why he claims that.  I also get that unless there is something else there, that it's gonna have a hard time holding up as evidence of anything.  

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

And I get he claims that and why he claims that.  I also get that unless there is something else there, that it's gonna have a hard time holding up as evidence of anything.  

Agreed, I just thought it's worth noting because it's not obvious from the screenshots alone.....

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I dont know, I'm guessing he has a better read of his prospects than you.  

Yep. My hunch is his best shot-if it wasn't NYG--was the Texans because of his connections to Caserio and Easterby, but he may have been tipped off or just knew that he wasn't getting that job. In fact, it wouldn't be at all surprising if the Texans interview played a  huge role in his decision to file suit because his second interview happened with them two or three days after Daboll was hired by the Giants. 

The fact the Texans hired David Culley, fired him after one year, then brought in Josh McCown to interview for an NFL head coaching gig despite having never coached in college or the NFL is batshit insane and imo proves his point. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

He really really never wants to coach anywhere of substance again. My opinion of him has totally changed. 

Yeah, Flores ain't coaching in the NFL again any time soon. If ever. (Seemed like he was a lock for another gig soon after the Dolphins' exit.)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Or the guy got pissed off and made an emotional decision to go scorched earth that he might regret.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Or the guy got pissed off and made an emotional decision to go scorched earth that he might regret.

Welp if that’s true Flores’s case is a little weaker. Look is there something shitty about their being 1 nfl coach in a league with 70% black players.  But even in the real world, a company may already have a candidate in mind but is doing diligence by interviewing others.  We did the same thing with Barnett and Mack