Black Monday NFL 2022 thread

shadow_operative

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Some folks still really want Rhule gone... this doesn't help him either... 

"The Panthers hired Matt Rhule two years ago. Rhule has the same 10-23 record Judge has, Carolina lost their last seven games in 2021, and eight of their final nine. Rhule has overseen similarly horrible roster and talent deployment decisions, and if you want to know how clear he is on his own quarterback situation after two full seasons… well, this ain’t good."

Never hire a guy who looks like a less well-groomed Patton Oswalt.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I wonder if Bienemy will finally get a job this year?

Leftwich most definitely will. Although I think he's getting the Brady bump.

Now we just need to see which no name special team/position coach will get a job.

Arians isn’t hanging around much longer. I bet one of Leftwich or Bowles has already been deemed the heir to the throne.

Firing Flores was dumb. Guy is a really good coach. Probably the best job this year was Vrabel with the Titans given his QB and all the injuries to key people on offense (Henry, Jones etc…)Flores did an amazing job with the hand he was dealt. Geez. Hope he gets snapped up quickly. 

Miami's GM is the problem, not the HC. Flores made the most out of what he had to work with, imagine if they drafted Herbert instead of Tua. Miami went through a rough patch this season, but firing a 9-8 third year coach who took on a rebuild is just plain dumb.

Firing Flores was dumb. Guy is a really good coach. Probably the best job this year was Vrabel with the Titans given his QB and all the injuries to key people on offense (Henry, Jones etc…)Flores did an amazing job with the hand he was dealt. Geez. Hope he gets snapped up quickly. 

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Overpaid for Cousins and by devoting that much $ to him created too many other areas of weakness. Never understood going after him in the first place.

Well, in NFL logic, it makes sense to replace a much lower-priced Case Keenum who took the team to the Conference Championship game with a much higher-priced player who comes saddled with a payroll-crushing contract like Cousins who has never achieved anything.   

• Like 1

Three GMs fired. One of those teams will come after Will McClay. He’s managed several brilliant drafts.

Will Vegas give Biascci the job? If not I’d like to see him back in Dallas as the ST job.

Flores decided he was going to wage war with the front office and wouldn’t even reveal who was calling plays to them. He missed the playoffs. He never melded with the QB the team invested in. Flores just couldn’t read the room with ownership. He is another Belichik disciple that has failed as a head coach. Belichik hires assistants to be assistants; he could give a shit about developing head coaches.

My Giants friends are hoping the new GM gets in and whacks Joe Judge, yet another clueless Belichikite. he should be fired for that stupid 3rd and 9 yesterday. I don’t blame him for Garrett. Think that was imposed on him by the Mara’s due to Jason’s ties to the Giants and the family.

Bienemy will probably get a gig. Leftwich has been said by Arians to be his successor but he’ll be interviewing as will Bowles.

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Three GMs fired. One of those teams will come after Will McClay. He’s managed several brilliant drafts.

Will Vegas give Biascci the job? If not I’d like to see him back in Dallas as the ST job.

Flores decided he was going to wage war with the front office and wouldn’t even reveal who was calling plays to them. He missed the playoffs. He never melded with the QB the team invested in. Flores just couldn’t read the room with ownership. He is another Belichik disciple that has failed as a head coach. Belichik hires assistants to be assistants; he could give a shit about developing head coaches.

My Giants friends are hoping the new GM gets in and whacks Joe Judge, yet another clueless Belichikite. he should be fired for that stupid 3rd and 9 yesterday. I don’t blame him for Garrett. Think that was imposed on him by the Mara’s due to Jason’s ties to the Giants and the family.

Bienemy will probably get a gig. Leftwich has been said by Arians to be his successor but he’ll be interviewing as will Bowles.

I think Biascci has earned the job.

So of the expected firings only Matt Ruhle survives by firing his o and line and special teams coaches. The new guys won’t have any talent to coach either. Let’s see…Sam Darnold, Cam Newton 2…Ruhle drove those decisions. Owner David Tepper is proving himself an owner in the Cal McNair, Shad Khan, Stephen Ross, McCaskey, Woody Johnson complete moron model.

The Texans are beyond a dumpster fire. They are like that town in West Virginia that’s on the coal mine fire that’s expected to burn another 200 years.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Does anyone else find it strange that not one of the nine open head coaching job has been filled 2 1/2 weeks after the end of the season?

I didn't do any research, but it seems to me that a higher number than usual teams also fired their GM who usually is hired before the coach.  A few of the GM spots got filled yesterday and today.

9 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

I didn't do any research, but it seems to me that a higher number than usual teams also fired their GM who usually is hired before the coach.  A few of the GM spots got filled yesterday and today.

Good point. Half of the teams looking for a new HC were also looking for a GM. . 

Denver Broncos as their future former head coach hire Green Bay OC Nathaniel Hackett.

Is this some ploy to lure Aaron Rodgers? He has no QB in a division with three good to great ones. Team is about to be sold.

Let’s see, all the usual traits of other failed nfl HCs.

Never been a Head Coach at any level.
Didn’t play football.
Didn’t call plays as OC in Green Bay.
Only had one job longer than three years.

I see why he took the gig as Green Bay is about to be a bleak place of rebuilding as they jettison big star contracts. Guess that’s a no vote on Jordan Love as the next qb superstar.

I predict he is fired after 23 season by new owners.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Denver Broncos as their future former head coach hire Green Bay OC Nathaniel Hackett.

Is this some ploy to lure Aaron Rodgers? He has no QB in a division with three good to great ones. Team is about to be sold.

Didn’t play football.

I see why he took the gig as Green Bay is about to be a bleak place of rebuilding as they jettison big star contracts. Guess that’s a no vote on Jordan Love as the next qb superstar.

Minus the “didn’t play football” part Zac Taylor had been successful in Cincy despite never calling plays, being a Head Coach, or staying in one place for more than 2 years. Granted he seems to be the exception, but the NFL is a copycat league so teams see him having success and think “we can do that too!” Gotta think they’re gonna try to make a move for Rodgers or Wilson.

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Didn’t play football.

I'm a broncos fan, and this seems like a shit hire to me. With new ownership and management on the horizon, they should have just kept Fangio until they have some idea of the direction of the franchise. His claim to fame prior to riding on LaFleur's coattails was his work with Blake f'n Bortles??? I doubt Rodgers follows him, and thats fine with me. 

I'm a broncos fan, and this seems like a shit hire to me. With new ownership and management on the horizon, they should have just kept Fangio until they have some idea of the direction of the franchise. His claim to fame prior to riding on LaFleur's coattails was his work with Blake f'n Bortles??? I doubt Rodgers follows him, and thats fine with me. 

I thought the firing of fangio was a bad play; he had no qb and had Von Miller traded away and still had a respectable defense. New ownership coming makes them all shortimers. Had Quinn left I would have been happy to have fangio as the cowboys DC.

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Didn’t play football.

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

And Bears hire Matt Eberflus to be HC. A few years back I wanted Garrett to elevate him to DC and replace Marinelli. Still he has zero head coaching experience which is a big red flag. Besides the big red flag that is the Bears organization.

I'm not saying either hire will be great, but you seem really fixated on the previous HC experience thing as if it's some clear benchmark of success. The majority of good coaches currently in the NFL never had HC experience before they were hired. Tomlin, Harbaugh, McVay, Shanahan, LaFleur, McDermott, Vrabel, Sean Payton.

In fact, the only two guys who are having success right now with previous HC experience are Reid and Belichek. So I don't think your supposed red flag is actually a red flag. If anything, orgs have the best chance of finding a good HC by hiring someone who's never been a good HC before. Because once a good HC is hired, he rarely leaves the job. 

I'm not saying either hire will be great, but you seem really fixated on the previous HC experience thing as if it's some clear benchmark of success. The majority of good coaches currently in the NFL never had HC experience before they were hired. Tomlin, Harbaugh, McVay, Shanahan, LaFleur, McDermott, Vrabel, Sean Payton.
In fact, the only two guys who are having success right now with previous HC experience are Reid and Belichek. So I don't think your supposed red flag is actually a red flag. If anything, orgs have the best chance of finding a good HC by hiring someone who's never been a good HC before. Because once a good HC is hired, he rarely leaves the job. 

I like head coach experience at another level because it usually shows experience with a different level and perspective. Maybe it’s years of suffering through Jason Garrett. Dave Campo. And remembering Jimmy. Parcells.

You’re right. I didn’t have experience with my promotions either and figured it out. And we had guys with experience that failed: Wade.

And guys that have done great with no experience. Sam Pittman at Arkansas. So I’ll amend my previous HC experience issue and lean more into dysfunctional organizations make dysfunctiona decisions. I hope Eberflus is successful. I don’t like Nate Hackett for any reason other than I disliked his old man.

And Bears hire Matt Eberflus to be HC. A few years back I wanted Garrett to elevate him to DC and replace Marinelli. Still he has zero head coaching experience which is a big red flag. Besides the big red flag that is the Bears organization.

How big is no coaching experience to you? If he has it, was available and was canned(maybe multiple times) doesn’t that tell you he’s not a good coach?

I’m all for the Vikings not getting any sort of a retread

17 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I thought the firing of fangio was a bad play; he had no qb and had Von Miller traded away and still had a respectable defense. New ownership coming makes them all shortimers. Had Quinn left I would have been happy to have fangio as the cowboys DC.

I live in Denver and my wife is a Broncos fan so I stay pretty informed on them. Fangio was the typical DC that gets made a HC but doesn't understand he's in charge of the whole team. He made a lot of really questionable in game decisions. Good DC, bad HC.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

How big is no coaching experience to you? If he has it, was available and was canned(maybe multiple times) doesn’t that tell you he’s not a good coach?

I’m all for the Vikings not getting any sort of a retread

Exactly.  Prior experience means nothing.

I believe that Zac Taylor, Shanahan, McVay, LaFleur, Kingsbury, Harbaugh, McDermott, Reich, Vrabel and Tomlin are all in their first HC job.