Goddamn pervert tried to abduct 8 year old in my neighborhood

Armybrat

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I always had a fair amount of stranger-danger when I was a kid.  I remember my mom telling me the story of Adam Walsh who was abducted in a Sears after he had wandered from his mom, and then I saw the TV movie.  That shit freaked me out at a young age.

We ran free and wild when I was a kid but the Dean Corll story broke when I was about 13 and that was a fucking wakeup call.

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

Yeah, same here. I also remember a program where people put a sign of a hand on their window in neighborhoods to signify it was a safe place to seek help if approached by a stranger.

Sounds like something a creeper would put in his window.

damn, everybody beat me to it

Edited by Larry T. Spider

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

We ran free and wild when I was a kid but the Dean Corll story broke when I was about 13 and that was a fucking wakeup call.

I never heard about that until I read a story about the Heights murders in Texas Monthly a few years ago.  That magazine has put out some good ones, but that was one of the most haunting bone-chilling pieces I've ever read in TM.

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I never heard about that until I read a story about the Heights murders in Texas Monthly a few years ago.  That magazine has put out some good ones, but that was one of the most haunting bone-chilling pieces I've ever read in TM.

I’ve haunted your ma’s piece for years now. 

Man, this makes me ragey.

There are sex-trafficking rings so sickos out there are abducting kids for a payday. Having a female along with them is intended to make the kids let their guards down some. Sick. Not sure how much these rings pay for abducting children either.

I was a lucky kid. Always out alone for hours at a time. Even went to the store alone at 4 years old in Chicago even though it was right across the street. Plus, I had to dodge crackheads. I would never let my daughters in the backyard alone nowadays.

They better get this bastard.

24 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Man, this makes me ragey.

There are sex-trafficking rings so sickos out there are abducting kids for a payday. Having a female along with them is intended to make the kids let their guards down some. Sick. Not sure how much these rings pay for abducting children either.

I was a lucky kid. Always out alone for hours at a time. Even went to the store alone at 4 years old in Chicago even though it was right across the street. Plus, I had to dodge crackheads. I would never let my daughters in the backyard alone nowadays.

They better get this bastard.

IF it really happened, I’d be ragey too. Color me skeptical. 

As far as child sex crimes go, it’s rarely the creepy guy in the van. It’s almost always the Dad, or the uncle, of some other person with very close ties to the family. 

Quite possible the parents preached stranger danger over and over and the kid made up the story to make her parents proud. At that age, she may not have been able to predict how her little tale would spiral out of control. Then again, maybe it happened just like she said. 

Bernard

IF it really happened, I’d be ragey too. Color me skeptical. 
As far as child sex crimes go, it’s rarely the creepy guy in the van. It’s almost always the Dad, or the uncle, of some other person with very close ties to the family. 
Quite possible the parents preached stranger danger over and over and the kid made up the story to make her parents proud. At that age, she may not have been able to predict how her little tale would spiral out of control. Then again, maybe it happened just like she said. 
Bernard

It sounds skeptical for sure but I would doubt that parents would do shit like this....but this is 2018 and anything weird could happen these days. I’m going to stick to sex trafficking as a motive. /surlyPI.

We had a serial molester in my hometown back in the mid 70s, was labeled Chester the Molester by Police and media.  A lot of the parents wouldn’t let their kids out of their house until he was caught.  I never had a curfew, even on school nights and pretty much had freedom to do what I wanted as long as I stayed out of trouble, which I rarely did. 

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Yeah, same here. I also remember a program where people put a sign of a hand on their window in neighborhoods to signify it was a safe place to seek help if approached by a stranger.

When I was a kid, we knew who most people were within a few blocks of the house. We knew where was safe. It doesn't seem like people get to know their neighborhood that well, these days. 

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Yeah, I remember that, but it was more just if you had any kind of trouble, this was a house where you could get help.

One time, the summer before Freshman year, when I was 14 I was walking from my friends house who lived about 20 minutes as the crow flies away, stoned at like midnight, in the year 2000. I would walk the sidewalk area, cut through a schoolyard and there was only one thoroughfare I'd have to really cross, Northwest Highway, and then I was home. Well a car pulled up next to me as I got close to Northwest highway and an older toughie looking guy rolled down his brand new camaro window and asked if I wanted a ride. I sheepishly said "nah" got paranoid and was freaked out because I was stoned to the bone. A few weeks later I'm in highschool and find out that guy was the most popular senior and he would have taken me to the beer store or something maybe.

Stranger Danger really failed me that time.

46 minutes ago, Deej said:

When I was a kid, we knew who most people were within a few blocks of the house. We knew where was safe. It doesn't seem like people get to know their neighborhood that well, these days. 

Their neighborhood?   People barely know their own family these days.    

Also, this is why my 8 year olds have iPhone 8's. Just in case. I don't think paranoia of yesteryear is the answer but I also think the pendulum has swung too far to the opposite side which is  "stranger danger is a myth, there are not statistically relevant numbers of actual child abductions by strangers, it was a bogeyman propped up by the media, parent hysteria and imaginations" for my tastes, hearing you people opine. Evil still exists, things still happen, and it's best to just prepare for the worst and hope for the best when it comes to the most precious things in the world to us, in my opinion.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Also, this is why my 8 year olds have iPhone 8's. Just in case. I don't think paranoia of yesteryear is the answer but I also think the pendulum has swung too far to the opposite side which is  "stranger danger is a myth, there are not statistically relevant numbers of actual child abductions by strangers, it was a bogeyman propped up by the media, parent hysteria and imaginations" for my tastes, hearing you people opine. Evil still exists, things still happen, and it's best to just prepare for the worst and hope for the best when it comes to the most precious things in the world to us, in my opinion.

Yep.    And kids can still ride a bike through a neighborhood faster than the bad guys can drive.   Just watch E.T.     But seriously, we used to get away with crazy shit.   Perhaps the information paranoia has destroyed all our minds 

One time, the summer before Freshman year, when I was 14 I was walking from my friends house who lived about 20 minutes as the crow flies away, stoned at like midnight, in the year 2000. I would walk the sidewalk area, cut through a schoolyard and there was only one thoroughfare I'd have to really cross, Northwest Highway, and then I was home. Well a car pulled up next to me as I got close to Northwest highway and an older toughie looking guy rolled down his brand new camaro window and asked if I wanted a ride. I sheepishly said "nah" got paranoid and was freaked out because I was stoned to the bone. A few weeks later I'm in highschool and find out that guy was the most popular senior and he would have taken me to the beer store or something maybe.

Stranger Danger really failed me that time.

Yep. You could have been Mitch to his Wooderson. Be a lot cooler if you did.

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.    And kids can still ride a bike through a neighborhood faster than the bad guys can drive.   Just watch E.T.     But seriously, we used to get away with crazy shit.   Perhaps the information paranoia has destroyed all our minds 

We used to screw with teenagers as kids and get away from them on our bikes. There are a lot of shortcuts you can take on a bike that you can't in a car. We watched RAD and BMX Bandits one too many times.

One time we shot some bottle rockets at some HS schooler's car back window and gave them the finger. We took off on our bikes before they could turn around. We made it to the next street when we heard their tires screeching around the corner. I drove through someone's yards and tossed my bike over their fence and jumped into their backyard. Another kid did the same but our friend Andy had a shitty Murray that weighed 50 pounds. LOL he couldn't get it over the fence. I yelled, "leave the bike!!!" He broke down crying as the teenagers pulled up. I yelled "Shit, I gotta go". Me and the other kid jumped into the alley and hopped through another yard and took off. Andy ended up getting smacked around a little bit and his bike trashed, it was a lousy bike so no loss.

With a lightning bolt cut into his hair.  And there is a description of specific stickers and dents on the vehicle.  Again, when the report gets THAT specific and detailed, my experience with eyewitness accounts tells me something is fishy.  That, or these are some of the most observant folks I've ever heard of.
It was a trans am

One time some West U parents saw a man watching a young girls' softball game from his car. They thought it was weird that he wasn't out there with them. Who was he there to see? Who were his people? Why was he in his car? 

So they called the West U Mayberry Barney Fifes on him, and....

It was Craig Biggio, who didn't want to deal with all their shit that night and just wanted to watch his daughter play softball. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

We used to screw with teenagers as kids and get away from them on our bikes. There are a lot of shortcuts you can take on a bike that you can't in a car. We watched RAD and BMX Bandits one too many times.
One time we shot some bottle rockets at some HS schooler's car back window and gave them the finger. We took off on our bikes before they could turn around. We made it to the next street when we heard their tires screeching around the corner. I drove through someone's yards and tossed my bike over their fence and jumped into their backyard. Another kid did the same but our friend Andy had a shitty Murray that weighed 50 pounds. LOL he couldn't get it over the fence. I yelled, "leave the bike!!!" He broke down crying as the teenagers pulled up. I yelled "Shit, I gotta go". Me and the other kid jumped into the alley and hopped through another yard and took off. Andy ended up getting smacked around a little bit and his bike trashed, it was a lousy bike so no loss.
We dumped white paint on this douchebag who flunked his Sr year.

He's Batman now.

18 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

A few years ago a client of my wife (divorce attorney) showed my wife pics on her phone that she took off her husband's phone. These were creeper pics of random young kids playing at a playground. The playground was the one my kids play at on occasion.

I took my daughter to a birthday party at one of those water parks. The kids splash around and all of the parents were sitting around under a covered communal area. My wife asked me to send pictures of the kids playing in the water. That was a hard no.

17 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

I took my daughter to a birthday party at one of those water parks. The kids splash around and all of the parents were sitting around under a covered communal area. My wife asked me to send pictures of the kids playing in the water. That was a hard no.

It’s unfortunate but there are double standards when it comes to kids safety. A woman could take photos of kids and nobody would give it a second thought. A guy (even one of the fathers) and some wonder if they should call the police. 

There was a big study by some UK university on what causes pedophilia. They analyzed pedophiles in  UK prisons to try and determine what, if anything, was a common factor or condition that could explain why all of the men became pedophiles. The conclusion they reached was that there was only one cause: sexy kids.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s unfortunate but there are double standards when it comes to kids safety. A woman could take photos of kids and nobody would give it a second thought. A guy (even one of the fathers) and some wonder if they should call the police. 

I had to explain that to her.