Hello from the Netherlands

Jörgen

Hi Surly. I found your site because I am a fan of American football and I noticed the section here on the politics so I signed to ask question. Sorry my English is bad but why did America want to look like a fool to rest of world? Here in the Netherlands you are thought to be little spoiled child who is fat and lazy and too stupid to handle business like men so you get fat and lazy and stupid president because he is like you. I have never been to America but why has it gotten so bad? Is there a lot of stupid people everywhere now? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Jörgen said:

Hi Surly. I found your site because I am a fan of American football and I noticed the section here on the politics so I signed to ask question. Sorry my English is bad but why did America want to look like a fool to rest of world? Here in the Netherlands you are thought to be little spoiled child who is fat and lazy and too stupid to handle business like men so you get fat and lazy and stupid president because he is like you. I have never been to America but why has it gotten so bad? Is there a lot of stupid people everywhere now? 

It's because we have a nuclear arsenal that can wipe humanity from the face of the earth. 

And I really hope you aren't a sock.

9 minutes ago, Jörgen said:

We do really dumb shit sometimes just to make it interesting.

Watch as we elect a complete fucking moron President and come out barely unscathed.

We’re spoiled bastards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Watch as we elect a complete fucking moron President and come out barely unscathed.

We’re spoiled bastards.

The American comeuppance is going to be something.

Edited by David Dennison

7 minutes ago, RayDog said:

It is 4 AM in the Netherlands so it is a sock or someone is very drunk.

Not to mention that the Dutch alphabet doesn't include the "o" with two dots over it...nice try troll

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We’re spoiled bastards.

And follow that up by electing Trump.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We’re spoiled bastards.

god damnit hugo making sense. 

47 minutes ago, Jörgen said:

You don't type like you live in the Netherlands, almost all Dutch speak fluent English. One of my best friends has lived there for a decade. He literally told me a few days ago that he has only encountered 2 people in that time span that didn't speak English. 

Here in the Netherlands

you are thought to be little spoiled child who is fat and lazy and too stupid to handle business like men so you get fat and lazy and stupid president because he is like you.

Dutch people don't talk like this either. Dutch is very similar to German and English. This sounds like an Eastern European wrote it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Grade of D as in David said:

It's the Netherlands, op is high, not drunk.

"Highly" doubt OP is Dutch. Don't let the "I don't speak so goot Anglish" ruse fool you. The Dutch speak it better than we do. On a road trip to Amsterdam with a few frogs, we got lost so I waved down some random dude on a bike to give directions. Without even pausing, he responded in perfect English the correct direction.

Those sneaky Dutch.

https://youtu.be/QJ882QYzr-M

• Like 1

Just now, bolverk said:

"Highly" doubt OP is Dutch. Don't let the "I don't speak so goot Anglish" ruse fool you. The Dutch speak it better than we do. On a road trip to Amsterdam with a few frogs, we got lost so I waved down some random dude on a bike to give directions. Without even pausing, he responded in perfect English the correct direction.

Those sneaky Dutch.

Yep, that's what my friend was saying last weekend. Literally everyone speaks English. 

31 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Not to mention that the Dutch alphabet doesn't include the "o" with two dots over it...nice try troll

Hercule Peirot ladies and gentlemen!

i do appreciate the “rally around the flag”. Technique the troll used. It’s actually made David Dennison a bearable poster

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Hercule Peirot ladies and gentlemen!

i do appreciate the “rally around the flag”. Technique the troll used. It’s actually made David Dennison a bearable poster

That would be Poirot.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Aren’t you in Germany? Which are you?

I think he claimed the coast of Romania on the Black Sea, which could be an hour earlier. 5am Surly posting over coffee ain't too unusual.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Those sneaky Dutch.

I figured as much just joking about the weed in Amsterdam. 

Spent a week there last year on a hookerpooloza trip and can attest that at least the Dutch people I interacted with spoke great English. 

Two other fine points for indicating OP is a sock:

"too stupid to handle business"

Handle you business is an Americanism.

"why has it gotten so bad?"

"Gotten" isn't used in England anymore. They dropped that usage some time ago. There, they would simply say "got".

So far as I know, the Dutch learn the queen's English and not 'Merkin. The mistakes are subtle, but obvious, if you know what to look for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

"Jörgen, a Scandinavian name for George, may also refer to"

I find this umlaut problematic.  

Yes. My father is from Apeldoorn and my mother from Bielefeld. I was named after my mother's father and his father and his father. My older brother Maartje is named after my father. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We’re spoiled bastards.

having some trouble here.  what would be an example of barely unscathed?  or is it better to think it equivalent to in large part scathed?

whatever, i agree with your take otherwise.  i think we sometimes like to roar right up to the dropoff to the bottomless abyss with our toenails our only hope.

2 hours ago, RayDog said:

It is 4 AM in the Netherlands so it is a sock or someone is very drunk.

I wish I was drunk. I am very young, 23. I work over night and stream a lot of video to keep me awake, and I first stream the superbowl with New England and Atlanta and liked the American football. I like to watch it now and have gotten learned to speak better English from watching American football and movies and television on stream video. We moved to Netherlands from Germany 4 years ago but I lived mostly in Germany and Croatia when small. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Big words from a country whose best defense strategy is the national equivalent of pissing oneself 

I apologize I did not mean to offense with my question I just asking because I do not understand why a country that is so rich and great and has great things like America would hurt itself by choosing a fat stupid baboon to lead it. I love to go to America some day but why if you have so much money and so many things are you always shooting each other and fighting with each other? I do not understand 

• Fuck You 1