Dumbass Shit We See On Facebook

Vic Mackey

Yeah, the "first to arrive/last to leave" guy...every place I've ever worked...every time I've ever hired somebody...that guy doesn't matter anymore.  If you're working at a steel mill or Chili's maybe.  But I can't think of more than a handful of industries where "long hours" equaled any modicum of success.  Maybe a plumber on Thanksgiving.  

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

But working long and hard doesn't guarantee anything. There's people who work countless hours and can barely afford to survive. It goes much deeper than just working hard. Millennials and whatever generations come after are seeing a system that is beyond repair. So much of their pay now goes to skyrocketing cost of living, crippling school debt and taxes that do nothing at all. They call out this system and the older generations swoop in and tell them how lazy they are.

If they already retired currently or very established financially, then they have no idea what younger people go through trying to get established. There's no such thing as starter homes anymore. Hell, many will never even be able to afford a home and have given up on that idea. You can't budget your way out of that. Listening to Dave Ramsey won't do shit. But the boomers will tell them it's because of that pesky avacado toast and coffees.

Also the whole "no one wants to work anymore". Correction, no one wants to work for shitty pay and environment anymore. And good for them. I chuckle at all these stores who are desperate for help but if you look at their pay, you see why. No job that pays well is struggling to find workers. Pay more and find people. Don't and bitch about how no one wants to work.

I mean the biggest freeloaders are politicians and corporations. But people actually defend them. They get bailed out at every turn but people are brainwashed enough to think their neighbor on food stamps is the true leech. Not these corporations and businesses sucking up PPP loans to pad their pockets.

But I'll digress because that's not what this thread is for...

Who are you, and the fuck have you done with Vic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yeah you lazy fuck it is nice.  The reason YOU don't have nice things like this is because your lazy ass always took the short cut or easy way out. You never had any ambition or desire to excel and work hard, long hours to perfect you craft, and make a better life for you and your family.  Enjoy your leaky single wide trailer you trashy piece of shit.

torbush-wow.gif

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You know, I can see that, but also, especially you younger folks busting their ass need to keep their head on a swivel. Look around you, talk to employees who have been there awhile.  What, you've been here 12 years and had few raises and no chance for advancement?   The fellow either has very limited upward potential,  or he needs to take his talent to someone who recognizes and rewards it.  I realize there are a lot of employers who look at employees as disposable,  " fuck 'em bring in the next guy", and that sucks and they deserve a big shit sandwich.  I base my statements on personal experience and realize it's not the same for everyone.  I started as a laborer swinging a shovel 12-14 hours a day.  Before I EVER signed on, I  made my goals and expectations clear, and asked what their expectations were.  They came to me, I was not looking for a job.  I  told them I was not looking to be a career laborer, that I  was looking to advance to operator,  superintendent and on up, and that at  the first indication that was not going to happen, color me gone.  Now granted, there was some luck/twist of fate occurrences that helped me along. Six weeks into my employment,  our operator broke his leg in a motorcycle accident.  Guess who go thrown into the fire immediately? Yep, me.  A few years later the superintendent on my job passed away.  Shooter, want to give it a shot and help us out? Yes sir,.  By 2003 I was executive VP, and in charge of all projects and estimating.   There was only one person over me...the owner.   Dammit,  he just had to go and die one me.  After that, with a few disinterested heirs trying to run the company the wheels flew off in glorious fashion, but life goes on. 

Or maybe I've just lived a charmed life.

I get it.  I've done manual labor.  Some carpentry, but thousands of hours delivering beer, driving trucks, etc.  sounds like you've done infinitely more.   But I ain't "You younger folks."  I've hired and fired in the dozens.  From all generations.  The kid who thinks he's gonna social media one of our companies into greatness.  And one of the bronzed guys who thinks he's gonna 80 hours a week of just existing in the office into greatness.  but in the last 5 years, i finally realized...I don't give a shit if you got here 2 hours before me.  You didn't really do anything except make coffee and forward the pro forma to everybody which you could have done from home and kissed your kids before school.  Work ethic will never change, but hours in front of people is a complete fucking relic and I'm sick of paying for it to my employees.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You know, I can see that, but also, especially you younger folks busting their ass need to keep their head on a swivel. Look around you, talk to employees who have been there awhile.  What, you've been here 12 years and had few raises and no chance for advancement?   The fellow either has very limited upward potential,  or he needs to take his talent to someone who recognizes and rewards it.  I realize there are a lot of employers who look at employees as disposable,  " fuck 'em bring in the next guy", and that sucks and they deserve a big shit sandwich.  I base my statements on personal experience and realize it's not the same for everyone.  I started as a laborer swinging a shovel 12-14 hours a day.  Before I EVER signed on, I  made my goals and expectations clear, and asked what their expectations were.  They came to me, I was not looking for a job.  I  told them I was not looking to be a career laborer, that I  was looking to advance to operator,  superintendent and on up, and that at  the first indication that was not going to happen, color me gone.  Now granted, there was some luck/twist of fate occurrences that helped me along. Six weeks into my employment,  our operator broke his leg in a motorcycle accident.  Guess who go thrown into the fire immediately? Yep, me.  A few years later the superintendent on my job passed away.  Shooter, want to give it a shot and help us out? Yes sir,.  By 2003 I was executive VP, and in charge of all projects and estimating.   There was only one person over me...the owner.   Dammit,  he just had to go and die one me.  After that, with a few disinterested heirs trying to run the company the wheels flew off in glorious fashion, but life goes on. 

Or maybe I've just lived a charmed life.

The end to your story is exactly what younger people are using to point out that it's not like it once was. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you got laid off from that company in the last year and are now looking for new work? All that hard work and effort and time spent ended up being just another number on a spreadsheet. 

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I get it.  I've done manual labor.  Some carpentry, but thousands of hours delivering beer, driving trucks, etc.  sounds like you've done infinitely more.   But I ain't "You younger folks."  I've hired and fired in the dozens.  From all generations.  The kid who thinks he's gonna social media one of our companies into greatness.  And one of the bronzed guys who thinks he's gonna 80 hours a week of just existing in the office into greatness.  but in the last 5 years, i finally realized...I don't give a shit if you got here 2 hours before me.  You didn't really do anything except make coffee and forward the pro forma to everybody which you could have done from home and kissed your kids before school.  Work ethic will never change, but hours in front of people is a complete fucking relic and I'm sick of paying for it to my employees.  

Yes, I worded that poorly,  didn't mean you, should have said some young folks, or the young folks.  My bad.

The fellow trying to social media into greatness just makes my nutsack cringe.  The company I was just laid off from is going through a lot of that garbage. They're great wizzbangs on those keyboards,  but collectively have about 20 hours real jobsite experience. In a strange sense I'm glad to be starting at a new company.  I know a few of the managers from working with their fathers over the years and expect good things.  They all worked theway up from the bottom and know how things work on the jobsite.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Covri said:

The end to your story is exactly what younger people are using to point out that it's not like it once was. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you got laid off from that company in the last year and are now looking for new work? All that hard work and effort and time spent ended up being just another number on a spreadsheet. 

Yes and no I guess.  From looking back and talking to former co-workers it was a blessing in disguise.  Going with a youth movement?  Ah, let's let go of the older, highest paid employee who will probably retire in a couple years and replace him with no experience Johnny Whizzbang for half the cost.  Don't get me wrong,  I get it,  but their losses would indicate they're paying for, and hopefully learning already. 

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yes, I worded that poorly,  didn't mean you, should have said some young folks, or the young folks.  My bad.

The fellow trying to social media into greatness just makes my nutsack cringe.  The company I was just laid off from is going through a lot of that garbage. They're great wizzbangs on those keyboards,  but collectively have about 20 hours real jobsite experience. In a strange sense I'm glad to be starting at a new company.  I know a few of the managers from working with their fathers over the years and expect good things.  They all worked theway up from the bottom and know how things work on the jobsite.

If you know how to get shit done, you will never need to worry about an employer making a poor short-term decision about you.  It is a big, free country with lots of opportunities.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I get it man, probably a thread for another forum.  I think we're just in this muddy grey area.  We're raised in working class families but trying to focus more on STEM skills with our kids.  First in my family to finish college but I want UT to just be a safety, not a reach, school for my kids.  Our idea of what 'work ethic' is just wildly different.  Commitment to the company means something different now.  We want to buy into it and help it grow because it will grow us, but then again...most of the team will go and come within five years and the only thing they buy into is 'culture' and we don't even know what the fuck that means other than if we don't have a good one, we're fucked.  But I can no longer fault younger workers for not buying into upward mobility and sticking it out for opportunities.  We don't give a fuck about them, why should it go other way?  But as has always been in the last couple centuries, there's a happy medium. 

There's people that will get what we're doing, I'll get them, they'll get my style, we'll blow some shit up, and make some shit work, make some mistakes, they'll get some payout, and we'll exploit the heck outta them.  You don't know it until you see it.  It's a character test more than a cultural test.  Just gimme somebody who is smart (and I mean critical thinking smart, not a rote robot), who won't embarrass us in front of investors or partners.  And if they can have some tenacity and fight through adversity, that's a bonus.  And if they wanna exploit us for 5-10 years and move on, I'm fine with that.  I can get tech-heavy/finance-heavy shit done with software.  Just give me somebody with some fight and the ability to think on the fly.  That sounds obvious, but it's rare.  

Alls I know is I've never been more sure than I am in the last couple years---hours in the office and meeting attendance and schedules and spreadsheets---just don't give a fuck anymore.  Working hard is a lie we tell other generations.  Working smart is a lie they tell our generation.  Culture and mission is the next wave of bullshit.  Gimme crafty, even shifty...with some modicum of intelligence and polish...we'll both fuck each other over until we both get rich and if they're okay with that...I'll give 'em an extra bonus on the way out for being astute.  

Moving on...I saw something funny on facebook once.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yes and no I guess.  From looking back and talking to former co-workers it was a blessing in disguise.  Going with a youth movement?  Ah, let's let go of the older, highest paid employee who will probably retire in a couple years and replace him with no experience Johnny Whizzbang for half the cost.  Don't get me wrong,  I get it,  but their losses would indicate they're paying for, and hopefully learning already. 

Oh for sure, my company has definitely paid for it when they've done that shit and lay off senior people by forcing early retirement (and they have in a couple different ways over the last five years). Which is why loyalty and longevity and working hard won't get you a gold watch anymore. And why younger workers are not loyal and job hop more often as a means to get ahead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Timing works for me. 

Well then, what exactly would you say it is...you do here?  /bob

I know I'm the resident asshole here in a site chalk-full of assholes, but PM your details and see if we can figure something out.  I actually quite nice in real life.