Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Profiteering off death and destruction throughout the world under guise of spreading freedom and democracy while we prop up dictators and authoritarians. 

Oh, look, you're being your typical self and ignoring the context of the question:

specifically, with regard to Russia & Ukraine?

Color me shocked.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Profiteering off death and destruction throughout the world under guise of spreading freedom and democracy while we prop up dictators and authoritarians. 

How exactly are we profiting off of the war that Russia is waging on Ukraine right now? Last I checked we are spending billions on aid and military assistance with no "repayment plan". 

I don't disagree that the US is all kinds of opportunistic and does some of the things you talk about, but I just don't see it here. If anything we've stepped up in a way I wouldn't have thought possible, with a unified senate and executive. Do you think our opportunity is to fight a direct proxy war through Ukraine instead of a proxy vs proxy war somewhere else? Do you think the US smells blood in the water and is just using Ukraine to weaken Russia before we finish them off? 

There is no logical profit motive here for us helping Ukraine or the rest of NATO. The motive is stability and peace (at least between superpowers). 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Anastasis said:

Raytheon fucking rang the closing bell at the NYSE today.

I didn't realize Raytheon was synonymous with the US Government. Are they some deep state puppeteers behind the scenes or something? Is there something we don't know about? 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

So @Anastasis would have us do nothing.  Helluva plan, there, Churchill.

Well yeah, because you see, the US has done bad things too.  Just like with the dotard.  He was bad on an entirely new level, but other presidents were bad too.  So it all evens out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Ostriching the position that America holds in the world, and thus honest reflection on our own role in where things stand today is lazy, imo. Typical.  But lazy. We have an exceedingly short attention span. We'll do this shit over and over and over again until we don't.

Maybe go post about that in a thread that is not about a non US country unilaterally invading and committing atrocities in another non US country 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Maybe pst about that in a thread that is not about a non US country unilaterally invading and committing atrocities in another non US country 

Maybe ponder the part of that post about ostriching the position that the US holds in the world and some honest self reflection about the role that we play in where we stand today.

I know that it requires an attention span measured in decades instead of tweets, but I am fairly hopeful that we are capable of mustering it. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe ponder the part of that post about ostriching the position that the US holds in the world and some honest self reflection about the role that we play in where we stand today.

I know that it requires an attention span measured in decades instead of tweets, but I am fairly hopeful that we are capable of mustering it. 

How does that relate to a non US country unilaterally invading and committing atrocities against another country that is not the US?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

How does that relate to a non US country unilaterally invading and committing atrocities against another country that is not the US?

How does glucose unilaterally invading nephrons and causing chronic kidney disease have anything to do with the pancreas?

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I thought that one might stick homey.  Maybe not. 

Answering a question with a question is not honest debate. 

eta if you are implying US policy is responsible for Putin’s rise to power you’re going to have to walk us through that one 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

We have been lied to about every single war that we have engaged in during both your and my life times.  I don't know what that unpacking will show, and neither do you.  But I do tend towards the observation that past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.  

The only war where anywhere near this amount of video and testimonials from the scene of the battles and executions was even possible was the US in Iraq and Afghanistan, and by the time the technology was prevalent enough to be practical and widespread it had already died down to just an occupation stage. This is the first invasion in history we can watch in real time. Sure the sides will lie but it's impossible to white wash the video we're seeing.

Sure there are nuances we aren't privy to but it's damn apparent Russia is targeting civilians for extermination. They said they are and we have the video to show they are doing so. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I went back and forth between CKD and acute kidney failure. Probably should have rolled with the first instinct. 

Or, you could answer a question with a straight answer and engage in an honest conversation.
I presume you’ll do so right after my threesome with Sela Ward and Salma Hayek, which actually has better odds of happening.
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Ike out front told you. 

What the fuck are you even talking about dude. 

Find another thread this one ain't for you, you have completely derailed the last 2 pages. Start another thread or get on topic. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

Find another thread this one ain't for you, you have completely derailed the last 2 pages. Start another thread or get on topic. 

I thought that the reference was pretty obvious in context. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I remember watching the Iraq invasion on CNN. I had a big tube tv.  Before the flat panels really took over. 

You were watching it through the lens of CNN and the FCC.

For the first time now anyone with a smart phone and internet can show you what they're seeing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

Beware the military industrial complex, and the Raytheon comment are connected in a legitimate way.  They'll make money thru arms sales that find their way to Ukraine probably.  

Still doesn't anything to do with Putin invading Ukraine really.

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You were watching it through the lens of CNN and the FCC.

For the first time now anyone with a smart phone and internet can show you what they're seeing. 

That's true, but the US army would not allow its soldiers to send smart phone videos of the war.  Ukraine probably has different thoughts on that tactic. It's been working really well for their cause.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I do.
After I answer the actual question. Analogies are a good way to explain a position or answer….once you’ve already given it. You skip straight to “pretend to be clever by being obtuse” without actually speaking plainly. It’s tiresome and chickenshit. Say what you actually think, or STFU. If people have to engage in mental gyrations to try to figure out your point, it doesn’t mean that you’re clever or they’re stupid: it just means that you’re a terrible communicator.

Again . . . you new around here?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Name one US policy decision in the past 50 years that one could conceivably argue as a proximate cause of Putins decision to invade Ukraine and commit atrocities there

If Putin says it, Trump and Anastasis will parrot it. It’s not complex. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's true, but the US army would not allow its soldiers to send smart phone videos of the war.  Ukraine probably has different thoughts on that tactic. It's been working really well for their cause.

I was referring more to the millions of regular citizens who are still living there and recording the horrors they're facing. 

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I was referring more to the millions of regular citizens who are still living there and recording the horrors they're facing. 

Yep true, this war is being fought right in front of a lot of citizens, so yeah that is a big difference. 

29 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

eta if you are implying US policy is responsible for Putin’s rise to power you’re going to have to walk us through that one 

Well see man, there was this election. Actually in Russia of all places. Fairly fresh and new post-cold war shit going down. Democracy and self determination and all that. US via IMF propped up this guy named Boris with $10B cause they did not like his opponent that was polling well. The other guy was kind of a...what do you call it?  Oh, yeah.  Communist.  IMF told everyone that the funding was contingent on the commie not winning. Boris ended up closing the deal, but Boris was a total shit show and liked to walk around the streets of DC in his underwear talking about pizza.  I mean come on, we've all been there, right? So after embarrassing himself and his country, Boris picked this guy name Vlad and earmarked him as his successor. Privatization giving rise to oligarchs and shit in parallel. Boris told the US president that his good buddy Vlad was sociable and Boris got grants of immunity. So and so looked into Vlad's soul, but Vlad didn't fucking end up having one. I wish this wasn't real life, but there you go. 

• Fuck You 3

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Well see man, there was this election. Actually in Russia of all places. Fairly fresh and new post-cold war shit going down. Democracy and self determination and all that. US via IMF propped up this guy named Boris with $10B cause they did not like his opponent that was polling well. The other guy was kind of a...what do you call it?  Oh, yeah.  Communist.  IMF told everyone that the funding was contingent on the commie not winning. Boris ended up closing the deal, but Boris was a total shit show and liked to walk around the streets of DC in his underwear talking about pizza.  I mean come on, we've all been there, right? So after embarrassing himself and his country, Boris picked this guy name Vlad and earmarked him as his successor. Privatization giving rise to oligarchs and shit in parallel. Boris told the US president that his good buddy Vlad was sociable and Boris got grants of immunity. So and so looked into Vlad's soul, but Vlad didn't fucking end up having one. I wish this wasn't real life, but there you go. 

Yeah no

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Vlad has had delusions  of grandeur, and empire re building since day one. An unreconstructed communist he, and he alone is responsible for this current shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 5

Oh no!  Someone think of the poor Russian Socialites and Influencers!

https://www.insider.com/russian-influencers-irate-barred-from-buying-chanel-goods-2022-4

Bitching about the SA in Dubai not selling you a Chanel handbag while your military is committing atrocities like murder and rape in Ukraine is NOT a good look.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I know vague and indirect is your thing but lets be a little more straightforward shall we? You are being an idiot on this one!

On one hand you say But I do tend towards the observation that past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. On the other hand you refuse to apply your own logic to Russia, you know, the country that has done this before on multiple occasions. You also seem to have a short memory on what happens when war mongers go unchecked. If the US did nothing it would eventually be pulled into a much larger situation down the road resulting in much more loss of life. I am pretty sure that "But I do tend towards the observation that past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior" has shown us that, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, Neonmoon said:

Post 1: That take is wrong 

Post 2: sarcastic reply to serious engagement 

Post 3: sarcastic reply to serious engagement 

Post 4: Move goal posts with thinly veiled affectation 

Who am I? 

My post seems relevant again. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Give the bothsideser bullshit a rest, you fucking troll.

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

And this is some Minority Report type bullshit. Lets go back and kill Jeffrey Dahmer's grandmother.

• Like 1