2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

7 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

1 run on 9 hits and 2 BB. That’s not easy to do. 

And the run came on the first three pitches we saw, correct? Or something such. Throw in the fact that last night we only scored as a result of Boston errors and it hasn't exactly been the '27 Yankees on display. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This team needed 3 bats to pretty much play everyday. They got 1 instead. It becomes 2, I guess, if Maldy doesn’t get all the playing time. If Brantley comes back healthy there is your 3, I guess. 

For now, I'm not letting myself think Brantley ever returns. Would love to see it, of course, as we desperately need him. 

We really got painted into a corner when we had to stretch our unproven OF options too far for too long. If Brantley and Tucker were both healthy and playing well, along with Yuli and Bregman having much better overall years, CF would be no big deal offensively. We probably could get by with Chas, Siri or Meyers. Instead, we're scrambling to find warm bodies for CF and LF and just hoping some other guys get back to their expected levels as the season winds down. If Mancini can be himself in LF and Tucker can snap out of his coma, I still think we're in pretty good shape. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Brantley ain't playing again this year, McCormick can't hit against RHP, Gurriel's hot streak is completely unsustainable and still has no power with an OBP under .300, Mancini is one person and can't cover both holes at LF and 1B at the same time. This offense doesn't score runs because they have too many shitty hitters, 5 batters with OBP under .310 starting today. You aren't going to consistently score runs when players don't get on base.

There were plenty of realistic bats you could have gotten for nothing. Today's deadline proved it. Michael Taylor would have been a significant improvement over Meyers, and you could have gotten him for very little.

This team is one Alvarez injury away from being awful on offense. I don't understand it, why not maximize the chances to win a championship when your team is this good. Fuck, Joey Gallo would have improved this team. Hunter Brown was the only guy that should have been untradable, everyone else in this organization should have been available. It is very rare to get a Jeff Bagwell. Do you remember any of the players that the Astros got for Oswalt, Berkman, Lidge and Pence? I bet none of them came close to those players.

LOL at saying “there were plenty of good CF out there”, then referencing Michael Taylor, a career wRC+ 82 hitter who WAS NOT TRADED, and Joey Fucking Gallo, who is sporting a .282 OBP, 39% k rate, and wRC+ of 82.  GMAFB.  Like I said, if you wanna whine about it fine, but the reality was the market to improve CF just wasn’t there.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4

53 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

LOL at saying “there were plenty of good CF out there”, then referencing Michael Taylor, a career wRC+ 82 hitter who WAS NOT TRADED, and Joey Fucking Gallo, who is sporting a .282 OBP, 39% k rate, and wRC+ of 82.  GMAFB.  Like I said, if you wanna whine about it fine, but the reality was the market to improve CF just wasn’t there.

Joey Gallo is a proven MLB player; Jake Meyers is not. Taylor is currently sporting an OBP over .340, he is a huge improvement over Meyers. So, there were upgrades that wouldn't have cost shit. The Dodgers thought enough of Gallo that they traded for him. Our current starting CF is sporting a wRC+ of 66, so both of those guys would have been significant upgrades. The guy that replaced him today has a wRC+ of 70. It's funny your use of wRC+ changes based on the player you are referencing. Taylor currently has a wRC+ of 113, and Gallo's career wRC+ is 111.

It's amazing how so many fans are ok with playing a shitty player when trying to win a championship.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jake Meyers has more career starts in CF than Joey Gallo. 

Gallo also has 1 less DRS than Meyers despite Jake having almost 100 more innings at the position, and the arms aren't even comparable right now. Not to mention the BB% and power potential. Peak Jake Meyers is not even in the same neighborhood as peak Joey Gallo.

Since Meyers 1st month in MLB, supported by completely unsustainable .400+ BAbip, he has produced at a .208/.281/.341 triple slash line with a 6.7 BB% and a 33 K%. Once pitcher's figured him out, he has been useless at the plate.

• Like 1