2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

there has to be a place in Houston that can clone him ???

In his last six starts, including the regular season, Cristian Javier is 5-0 with a 0.00 and 0.52 WHIP. He’s struck out 43 batters, allowed 11 walks and seven hits in 34 1/3 scoreless innings.

Seems like no one, including Astros management, noticed until that 6th start.

24 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah,  I was talking about a 5 or 6 year deal like what they have done with some of the others.  It's dicey with pitchers as we've seen with LMJ, but Javier lives off his delivery and fastball movement and he's probably not going to forget how to throw it since it's what first got him noticed as a teenager.  Of all the pitchers on the team, I feel better about him still being good 5 years  from now as long as he can stay healthy.  His fastball is like Mariano Rivera's cutter.  It doesn't matter that hitters know it's coming.  They can't do anything about it.

I was thinking about his aging curve and I’m not sure. Some guys lose ticks on their MPH but my concern with him as he ages is him losing hop on his fastball. Without that rise (I know doesn’t really rise) he’s probably at best a middle reliever. I have no idea how that rise on a FB ages. If it doesn’t do that work it’s meat out over the plate. I’d love to see what the dorks and numbers think about how that particular skill set ages. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Javier and Framber's dominance gives the Astros the opportunity to let JV go, and spend that money on others. I don't want JV to leave but its crazy that we could lose the Cy Young winner and perhaps not skip a beat if a couple of others step up.

I mean, we already made the WS when he was out with TJ.  I still think we should and will resign him.  The good thing about older starting pitchers is you don't normally have to give many years.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was thinking about his aging curve and I’m not sure. Some guys lose ticks on their MPH but my concern with him as he ages is him losing hop on his fastball. Without that rise (I know doesn’t really rise) he’s probably at best a middle reliever. I have no idea how that rise on a FB ages. If it doesn’t do that work it’s meat out over the plate. I’d love to see what the dorks and numbers think about how that particular skill set ages. 

He was still getting guys out with it when he was throwing in the 80's when they signed him.  I think it will still be effective as long as he's in the low 90's.  His delivery doesn't look very labored and he's a big guy so aside from injuries, he probably won't lose much velocity in the next several years.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

If Dusty runs Dubon out there tomorrow, this thread will spontaneously combust.   

It shouldn't. Yordan at DH makes sense given JV on the mound, and he literally could not be any worse than Diaz at the plate. 

26 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Radio guys this morning suggested Yordan at DH, McCormick in LF, Dubon in CF.  I could live with that.

Me too. 

11 minutes ago, texashorne said:

DH cannot be Vasquez. If Maldy gets hurt you cannot bring Vasquez out of DH to catch. Rules. 

You can. You just lose the DH and the pitcher has to hit.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, texashorne said:

DH cannot be Vasquez. If Maldy gets hurt you cannot bring Vasquez out of DH to catch. Rules. 

Hensley is a no-brainer I have no idea wtf the reason is for him not playing. 

Ya you can bat a pitcher, at least they may take at least 3 pitches. I’d be willing to risk it. Machete is a machine

49 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's not a true no hitter because the Phillies hit some balls to the fielders who made the outs for him. Call me when he strikes out 27 in a row by himself. 🙄

Yeah. And on 81 pitches. Not even a foul tip. Otherwise, it's just not that special. 

• Haha 1

After Dusty rides off into the sunset a week from now, after the parade through Houston…

I fully support a fuck you tour, and just straight up bring Lunhow and Hinch back, along with robo-umps, of course.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

After Dusty rides off into the sunset a week from now, after the parade through Houston…

I fully support a fuck you tour, and just straight up bring Lunhow and Hinch back, along with robo-umps, of course.

Put a coach out by the homer porch with a telegraph machine.  Or just put four colored lights above the batter's eye and have a different one light up before each opponent's windup.

2 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Tuesday night was the most defeated I’ve felt all season.  Last night was the happiest I’ve felt all season.  I’m becoming manic depressive.

How are you not used to this as a Longhorn fan? But instead of week to week it’s night to night 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I don’t think a guy has gone from screw that guy to love that guy for me like Christian Vazquez. He was so despondent when he got traded but he’s always first guy over the rail to celebrate, gives 100 percent when he’s name is penciled in and has been a good Astro. I think I understand his mood when he got traded because he’s a ride or die guy for his team and couldn’t imagine trading uniforms. Even though he hasn’t made a huge impact day in day out, it was still a great trade for the piece of mind and stability behind the plate. He totally changed my mind about him.

remember when we had Castro and Lee? CV is such a huge upgrade, excellent acquisition.  Yeah, it's not common for a pro athlete to show emotion when traded, but let's make it up to him but winning 2 more games. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Tuesday night was the most defeated I’ve felt all season.  Last night was the happiest I’ve felt all season.  I’m becoming manic depressive.

the whole month of October the last 6 years has been a wild ride.  staying up too late, drinking too much, ups and downs/highs and lows; it is a beating but so worth it

• Hook 'Em 2

I haven’t had a drop of alcohol during the WS. I think I drank 4 of the first 7 games of the playoffs. 
should I pour a glass of scotch to coincide with first pitch today or nah? 

Same here except for all 7 game days and off days in between. I have a conference call I have to host at 11:30 tonight, so I don’t think I’ll start drinking yet. The games this weekend are likely to be very drunk.