2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

26 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

the Phillies are rolling out Noah Synderdgaard, who has barely been league average this year for ERA and WHIP. 

Small sample size, but here are Syndergaurd's splits from the two games he pitched against us with the Angels. He shut us down over 5.1 innings in his first start (We had JV on the mound and gave him 0 runs in support). We scored 3 runs off him in 4 innings in his second start, which included a HR from everyone's favorite utility man Diaz. 

Unfortunately, I think this means we may see Diaz in LF again. But what stands out the most is the incredibly low BABIP and SO/W. My guess is we will get some traffic on the bases, but we will need that BABIP to turn around. Even more so than most games, Altuve and Pena will be critical to our success against Synderguard as he may not even get a second trip through the lineup. Our success against him may come down to who gets ABs against him with RISP. If it's Yordan, Bregs, and Tucker, I think we score some runs. If it's Diaz, well, let's hope he barrels one up for the first time this postseason. 

Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/W BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+

Houston Astros 2 40 33 3 5 0 0 1 3 0 6 4 0.67 .152 .300 .242 .542 8 1 1 0 0 0 1 .143 57 51

Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W

Houston Astros 1 0 1.000 2.89 2 2 0 0 0 0 9.1 5 3 3 1 6 0 4 1 0 0 40 1.179 3.9 0.6
  • Hook 'Em 1

I hope the plan tonight is JV for 2x through the order or 5 innings, whichever comes first, then Brown as the bridge to get us to pick from the 5 of Stanek, Neris, Abreu, Montero and Pressly to get us home. 

actually I just hope dusty has a plan that doesn’t involve leaving JV out there for too long.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Still want to see Astros bats really come to life tonight. 

This has been a really strange matchup to watch -- just can't believe how terrible a lot of the Astros hitters are approaching their at bats.  Just a bunch of shit early swings that result in outs.

Watched last night, but stayed off Surly.  Will probably do same tonight.

GO STRO's !!!

You better!

Do everything the same as yesterday. If you took a shit three times yesterday, then you need to figger out a way to make sure the same thing happens today, brother.

• Hook 'Em 1

On the one hand, you have to think the Phillies are utterly deflated.

Up 2-1, you had just shut down the Astros in game 3 and set a WS record for HR in a game, and had the chance to go up 3-1 and then face JV in game 5 after you tagged him for 5 runs in game 1 on the road, to clinch the WS. 

And they got no-hit instead and struck out 14 times.  And now it's tied so the series has to go back to Houston. 

Score early and really get in their fucking heads tonight that it's going back to Houston and they have to get past Framber in a do-or-die game 6. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This series is two plays from being a mostly Astros asskicking but everyone seems to have forgotten how both those went Philly's way...if JV gloves that liner OR Altuve's hit falls into rf in front of Castellanos, this is a 3-1 series and Philly is on the brink of elimination.

I can't do this here and with Longhorns football. It's too much.

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

lololol this is soooooo fucking true hahahahaha

Yep. Especially against these radical shifts, you'd think some fools would learn how to bunt. It's sad. If they could bunt, it'd be like taking candy from a baby, and it would eventually stop or at least soften the shifts against them and make it easier to get some hits. And bunting is not difficult if you actually work on it a little, but nobody will do it.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, wood said:

Yep. Especially against these radical shifts, you'd think some fools would learn how to bunt. It's sad. If they could bunt, it'd be like taking candy from a baby, and it would eventually stop or at least soften the shifts against them.

im going to take a wild guess here, analytics favor swinging away 

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

im going to take a wild guess here, analytics favor swinging away 

Sure, but letting analytics rule  every single move you make, is stupid, esp when you have situations that scream for a bunt. Yeah it worked out last night, which is great, but there are times when a good bunt would have won us games that we didn't win this year.  And besides, Dusty didn't call for swinging away right there. He called for a bunt and Pena, as much as I like him, made a terrible attempt at one.

Edited by wood