2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

On 7/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, Message Board User said:

Yeah - it's complete bullshit unless there's a sign & trade involved, as Dallas is waaaaaaay over the cap and Dallas has nothing outside of DFS (and Luka, obviously) that would interest Cleveland.

Dallas Mavericks Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

Relatedly...

Tampering is rampant, but NBA gonna fine Knicks anyway... 😋

Katz: People I talk to around the league expect the Knicks to get dinged for tampering. They started dumping salary for Brunson on draft night. They continued their offloading five days later, 48 hours before free agency even began. They had let go of almost $33 million by the time they could talk to Brunson. You reported two days before free agency that he was heading to New York.

I didn't realize that the list of players who can't be traded to the Nets because of Ben Simmons (can't have two players with designated rookie extensions) was this extensive. All of these guys are a no go in a potential KD trade unless Brooklyn also finds a way to dump Simmons:

Booker

Bam

Mitchell

Towns

Murray

Wiggins

MPJ

Fox

SGA

Young

Tatum

Embiid

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Is one of the best players of his generation really going to run out his prime in Toronto?

59 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I didn't realize that the list of players who can't be traded to the Nets because of Ben Simmons (can't have two players with designated rookie extensions) was this extensive. All of these guys are a no go in a potential KD trade unless Brooklyn also finds a way to dump Simmons:

Booker

Bam

Mitchell

Towns

Murray

Wiggins

MPJ

Fox

SGA

Young

Tatum

Embiid

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Is one of the best players of his generation really going to run out his prime in Toronto?

Yeah they need to get rid of Simmons asap 

Maybe they will do a package of KD + Simmons to a team for one of those rookie max players? “If you want KD, you gotta take Benny too!”

Perhaps they should approach with the Lakers with a KD+Kyrie+Simmons for Lebron+AD+Westbrook swap? Both teams have an equally wrecked draft pick future. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What team would they have left if they traded for Durant

Scottie Barnes, Fred Van Fleet, Trent Jr, Precious, Thad Young and then whatever free agents came over for the minimum.  I don't think it looks that good either but depends on how good Barnes can be in his 2nd year.

Scottie Barnes, Fred Van Fleet, Trent Jr, Precious, Thad Young and then whatever free agents came over for the minimum.  I don't think it looks that good either but depends on how good Barnes can be in his 2nd year.

I’m quite sure Trent would be on his way with Siakam.

So it’d be Scottie, Durant, FVV? They have zero big men

I’m quite sure Trent would be on his way with Siakam.

So it’d be Scottie, Durant, FVV? They have zero big men

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Cant imagine the Nets do the trade w/o Barnes included.     Barnes/Pascal + picks is the package that I've seen talked about most.

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lol. Bradley Beal joins the elusive No trade clause club.

Don’t need to worry about the wizards anytime soon

Wow, that's an absolute train wreck decision.  Not even counting his woeful defense...I don't even buy him as an elite offensive player either.

Not to get into the weeds with metrics, but just one example -- there is a metric called TS Added, which basically is a flawed but sometimes decent metric that measures the average added points by True Shot Attempts (based a lot of TS% which is flawed to me but still kind of useful in its specific context) made above the league average of all players for that given year.  So one can in a sense use it for any given year as it tries to account for each league average each year, etc.  It has some flaws as an overall offensive metric because turnovers, playmaking, and other specific factors aren't taken into account, for but just shooting, it's not awful.

Beal last year had a TS Added of -45.9, which isn't even the league average (it's 0 by design) much less elite...or even close.  Jokic in contrast last year had a TS Added of 286.9.  I get that some of that is his roster (he certainly gets more defensive attention) but his entire career hasn't shown me that he's much more than a talented but ultimately inefficient volume scorer.  If he was an elite defender, that would help, but he's awful there too.  What a terrible contract.

Just for those that were curious -- the best ever all-time in NBA history.  So Jokic got pretty close to 300, and when you take his playmaking into account, his overall offensive value I think is pretty elite to say the least. 

Curry 2016 454.7

Barkley 1988 433.5

Durant 2013 394.9

Durant 2014 383.9

Barkley 1990 374.5

Malone 1990 362.8

Barkley 1989 362.0

McHale 1987 359.6

Amar’e 2008 352.0

LeBron 2014 347.0

Peja 2004 340.1

Reggie 1990 338.7

LeBron 2013 336.6

Jordan 1989 330.4

Reggie 1991 328.8

Mullin 1990 322.7

Dantley 1986 317.5

Jordan 1990 315.1

Jordan 1988 311.4

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Cant imagine the Nets do the trade w/o Barnes included.     Barnes/Pascal + picks is the package that I've seen talked about most.

Toronto has been rumored to say no with anything with Barnes in it.  Siakam/OG and picks is the offer I've seen bantered about.

I'm surprised that Siakam for KD straight up actually works in a trade. I thought Toronto would have to add a bit more salary, but they don't.  That's a pretty good starting point for a trade, but future Raptor picks are kinda meh, given how anti Tank that franchise is.  As a rockets fan, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. 

Hollinger said on his pod that he’s heard that KD isn’t even talking to his agent right now, along with what’s already been reported that he’s not taking calls from other stars trying to woo him 

LOL at James Harden complaining about having to actually follow the rules of a drill.  Jesus this guy is such a losing basketball player.

Harden: "why does it go up one?"

Cassell: "cause you missed motherfucker!"

Harden: "then why do i have to do the layup?"

Cassell: "follow your shot."

i can't decide if it's more sad or funny. but got damn that dude does not care about elevating his game. if Harden had the drive of KD, Steph, LeBron, etc, he could have been an all time all time player. what a waste of talent.

Edited by shadow_operative

LOL at James Harden complaining about having to actually follow the rules of a drill.  Jesus this guy is such a losing basketball player.
Harden: "why does it go up one?"
Cassell: "cause you missed motherfucker!"
Harden: "then why do i have to do the layup?"
Cassell: "follow your shot."

i can't decide if it's more sad or funny. but got damn that dude does not care about elevating his game. if Harden had the drive of KD, Steph, LeBron, etc, he could have been an all time all time player. what a waste of talent.

Cassell had one of the best mid range jump shots So if he can’t get to loser James harden, nobody will

15 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I have no idea wtf Cassell is trying to teach there. You make the shot you get 1 point, then go to the other side, miss it, lose a point, but rebound and layup is 1 more point. So wouldn't that be 1-1+1=1?  

Gotta make your shots.   The layup is just following up your shot.   Doesn't count for points.

I have no idea wtf Cassell is trying to teach there. You make the shot you get 1 point, then go to the other side, miss it, lose a point, but rebound and layup is 1 more point. So wouldn't that be 1-1+1=1?  
James, it's you!
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Dame gets a 2 year 122mill extension? Lmao. No one player should make 60 mill a year. Is that a typo? Wtf.

He isn’t committed to winning shit except the “Antonio Brown: Look at my Bank of America account!” award. 

4 hours ago, d2o said:

Gotta make your shots.   The layup is just following up your shot.   Doesn't count for points.

Cassell says "it goes up 1" after the layup, so yeah, I'm not following the point tally. I don't see why you would award a point for the layup either. Although I can barely hear some of that conversation, so there's probably a lot of miscommunication in that clip.    

Anyways, Dame's extension looks bad. His 32nd birthday is next week, so that means it breaks down like this:

Current contract:

2022-23: $42.5M  Age 32

2023-24: $45.6M  Age 33

2024-25: $48.8M  Age 34

Extension:

2025-26: $58.5M  Age 35

2026-27: $63.3M (player option)   Age 36

2 hours ago, d2o said:

You say this like its a bad thing.

Upthread some praised Dame as someone who wasn’t demanding trades and forming super teams, trying to win with his original team in Portland. No way are they going to win and pay his 36 yo self $63+M.

48 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Cassell says "it goes up 1" after the layup, so yeah, I'm not following the point tally. I don't see why you would award a point for the layup either. Although I can barely hear some of that conversation, so there's probably a lot of miscommunication in that clip.    

Anyways, Dame's extension looks bad. His 32nd birthday is next week, so that means it breaks down like this:

Current contract:

2022-23: $42.5M  Age 32

2023-24: $45.6M  Age 33

2024-25: $48.8M  Age 34

Extension:

2025-26: $58.5M  Age 35

2026-27: $63.3M (player option)   Age 36

If this isn't already, it has the potential to be the worst contract in basketball very very soon.  He'll need to rebound big time.

I seriously cannot wrap my head around giving a $61M/year contract extension to a guy with 3 years left on his current year coming off the worst season of his career.

Is this an overreaction to KD asking out that has them spooked? What the fuck? There is absolutely no logic in this. Sacramento wouldn't pull this shit.