Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

12 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

I was with you up until the cake metaphor.

Bacon on your filet mignon work for you?

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this part of the ralphie article is confusing to me.  we never demanded unequal revenue sharing.  corn did.  aggy did.  i don't remember ralph or tigger making that demand either.  maybe 0u did.

Correct

6 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Exactly.  Innovate while still bringing us the actual plays, i.e.:

Less replays of routine stuff and more local, ah, “color;”

Less noisy CGI logo orgasms and such merde; and

Never, never ever ever fucking NEVER make us miss a new play while you are showing a replay.

Now bring it on.

Was reading a 1974 Texas Monthly article on the demise of the SWC.  Interestingly, they viewed the clock stoppage after first downs as a real negative for college football.  It lengthened the game and widened the gaps between the stronger and weaker teams.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/lists/for-a-few-seconds-on-tuesday-it-seemed-the-big-12-had-added-the-arizona-schools/

This is funny.  It WAS a Tuesday.  

"...Those of us who follow college sports in general, and the Pac-12 in particular, are therefore on the lookout for any signs that the Pac-12 is going to be raided to the brink of extinction.

For a few seconds on Tuesday, I thought that moment had happened.

Texas Tech fans, in large numbers and with rapid-fire regularity, were tweeting cactus emojis. Surely this meant that Arizona and Arizona State were either headed for the Big 12 or were close to coming to the Big 12.

Right?

Wrong...."

Somehow the cactus was making fun of TCU.  Nothing about Arizona.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/lists/for-a-few-seconds-on-tuesday-it-seemed-the-big-12-had-added-the-arizona-schools/

"...Those of us who follow college sports in general, and the Pac-12 in particular, are therefore on the lookout for any signs that the Pac-12 is going to be raided to the brink of extinction.

Texas Tech fans, in large numbers and with rapid-fire regularity, were tweeting cactus emojis. Surely this meant that Arizona and Arizona State were either headed for the Big 12 or were close to coming to the Big 12.

Right?

Wrong...."

I don't get it. Calling them pricks or something?

16 hours ago, statsman said:

“One of the headliners”- I was thinking mainly of times when Baylor was up and Texas was down. Early ‘90s and last ten years. Baylor fans really enjoy those/these times, but it’ll kill a conference. 

Ahhh so the Sec is fucked, you say?

Everybody loves a happy ending.

2 hours ago, bullet said:

Right?

Wrong...."

Cactus emojis (some might say "Cacti") must be the Squid emoji of 2022.  Party on......

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/07/21/cu-buffs-big-12-pac-12-ncaa-realignment/

"Keeler: Get out, CU. If the Big 12 offers Buffs lifeline out of lying, dying Pac-12, they’d be crazy not to take it."

Rats on a [Pac-12, this time] sinking ship.... again.....  advising going back to the other "sinking ship," (that CU basically claimed was a "sinking ship" at the time), the Big 12, that they left to begin with, to try to outflank Texas going to the Pac-10 as it was known then!

Well, this time Texas/Mobilehoma didn't leak, made their move first, and now CU has been snookered.  Isn't that a shame!

55eae316-32fa-4380-a2c4-0aad3552ffa0_text.gif.56509fe427177594d107c4f53937cbc2.gif

tumblr_6c56f03fa1770fe11f04e172cfc8914e_58176196_500.gif.980d0cdd68370845adc1956e66443534.gif

Yes, HAVE FUN!

Lulz.

Nothing earth shattering today.  And nothing personal against the B12, but I like the idea of a Pac12 with SDSU and Fresno or SMU or Boise.  Hope it happens, I hate to see any school relegated from P5 to G5.  But will the Pac get past their snobbery to do it?

I doubt they'll ever take Boise because of how steep the difference is in academics, though on the field they've historically earned an upgrade more than any other current G5.  But SDSU would be a solid second on that earned it list.  Most aren't aware because of the crappy tv options. 

Heck, I was gung ho on adding SDSU and Boise to the B12 to get to 14, into CA, and more late game options.  Not gonna happen now.  (Sorry, Memphis is meh and their on the field results are well behind Fresno.  BTW, Colorado St is the most overrated joke of an expansion candidate.  Results and tv ratings are terrible compared to most other options.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

"Keeler: Get out, CU. If the Big 12 offers Buffs lifeline out of lying, dying Pac-12, they’d be crazy not to take it."

Rats on a [Pac-12, this time] sinking ship.... again.....  advising going back to the other "sinking ship," (that CU basically claimed was a "sinking ship" at the time), the Big 12, that they left to begin with, to try to outflank Texas going to the Pac-10 as it was known then!

Well, this time Texas/Mobilehoma didn't leak, made their move first, and now CU has been snookered.  Isn't that a shame!

55eae316-32fa-4380-a2c4-0aad3552ffa0_text.gif.56509fe427177594d107c4f53937cbc2.gif

tumblr_6c56f03fa1770fe11f04e172cfc8914e_58176196_500.gif.980d0cdd68370845adc1956e66443534.gif

Yes, HAVE FUN!

Lulz.

Huh?  After corn bailed, Colorado and Texas (and 4 other schools) were all seriously considering heading to the PAC.  For various reasons a faction of Colorado supporters had LONG wanted the PAC, even well into the old Big 8 days, pre-B12.

The only weird thing that happened with Colorado, is Baylor started making noise, asking to be included with the Texas schools in lieu of Colorado. So the Buffs took their offer and ran with it, as they should have.  They didn't trash Texas or anyone else on the way out, they just went to a place they thought was a better fit.  Not sure why anyone would feel any animosity toward Colorado for their choice in 2010.

Now if current and future B12 schools want to razz them for coming back with their tails between their legs, that's fair game.  But it has nothing to do with what happened a decade ago.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Huh?  After corn bailed, Colorado and Texas (and 4 other schools) were all seriously considering heading to the PAC.  For various reasons a faction of Colorado supporters had LONG wanted the PAC, even well into the old Big 8 days, pre-B12.

The only weird thing that happened with Colorado, is Baylor started making noise, asking to be included with the Texas schools in lieu of Colorado. So the Buffs took their offer and ran with it, as they should have.  They didn't trash Texas or anyone else on the way out, they just went to a place they thought was a better fit.  Not sure why anyone would feel any animosity toward Colorado for their choice in 2010.

Now if current and future B12 schools want to razz them for coming back with their tails between their legs, that's fair game.  But it has nothing to do with what happened a decade ago.

Huh? I think you remember the situation wrong. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2010/06/10/cu-pacs-up-for-new-conference/

"While the rest of the country waited for Nebraska or Texas to make the first move in what is projected as a consolidation of super conferences, CU beat them to the punch by working behind the scenes in recent days to secure its future. The next big move is expected today when Nebraska announces it will join the Big Ten.

[....]

'We worried about what the Texas schools might do,' [CU president Bruce Benson] Benson said. 'We think it’s a great fit. We’re really excited.'”

Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lulz.

Denver Post version is... fanciful at best.

But they got one thing right, Colorado took the offer that had been extended to them as well as 5 other B12 schools, while Texas and the others paused after the ags decided to reconsider.

And few blamed the Buffs for doing what they'd always wanted to do. 

It was corn bailing for the B1G and then blaming Texas for everything  the entire time on the way out, that caused the animosity. 

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

This is good advice.  Eventually - whether it is one year from now or ten - the PAC is going to sustain additional losses.  When that happens, what's left of the PAC will be *much* weaker than the Big 12.  If you know it's going to happen eventually, you might as well secure your best possible landing spot now.  There's no guarantee that the spot will still be there down the road.  The money is probably going to be better short term, too. 

The Big 12 + Colorado and Arizona (the two that seem most likely to make the move) would be in really good shape going forward.   

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, bullet said:

Was reading a 1974 Texas Monthly article on the demise of the SWC.  Interestingly, they viewed the clock stoppage after first downs as a real negative for college football.  It lengthened the game and widened the gaps between the stronger and weaker teams.

Point taken.  I’m old as dirt but I remember when it was rare for an untelevised game to last more than 2 1/2 hours from kickoff to end, even less if the opponent didn’t bring their band. My father and I could go hunting or fishing, drive 90 minutes in bumper traffic on a two-land to a 2:00 game in Birmingham, tailgate, walk to the stadium, watch the game and be back at home in time to listen to most of an LSU game on WWL before I got chased off to bed. Of course back then there were only a couple of TV games per Saturday, sometimes only one.  I enjoy today’s breakfast to midnight football on TV. But I gotta say, remembering those golden fall Saturdays makes this old man smile. Hook ‘em Horns and Roll Tide.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

This is good advice.  Eventually - whether it is one year from now or ten - the PAC is going to sustain additional losses.  When that happens, what's left of the PAC will be *much* weaker than the Big 12.  If you know it's going to happen eventually, you might as well secure your best possible landing spot now.  There's no guarantee that the spot will still be there down the road.  The money is probably going to be better short term, too. 

The Big 12 + Colorado and Arizona (the two that seem most likely to make the move) would be in really good shape going forward.   

Agreed, The PAC is Big 12 version 2.0 right now; except, UO and UW aren't Texas and OU.  They can't make a weak conference somewhat relevant...The PAC was dieing even with USC.  UW and UO have to get out..Seems like the ACC could maybe use them and Stanford to try to keep from being the next conference that gets picked apart.  Maybe the BIG will someday want them if USC and UCLA prove to be too far out on an island..

If i'm the 4 corner schools, im taking the Big 12 lifeline now, and hope that forces UO and UW to have to come with.  If i'm UW, UO, or even Stanford, i'm not signing any longterm agreement, GOR, or anything with exit penalties right now to stay in the PAC, if there is any hope at all to get out to a better conference in the future..They are all in a bad spot..

Edited by Azbadlands
  • Hook 'Em 1

If Oregon knows they aren’t going into the B10 anytime soon, they are not smart for shunning B12. They recruit Texas pretty well now and if they played here at least twice a year and mom, dad, grandma and uncle could get to see little Johnny play it seems that would make it even easier. Especially for north and east Texas kids. There are 5 schools in nB12 that could be considered a reasonable drive from Dallas. They obviously have the facilities and a money man. 
On second thought, stay the fuck out.

37 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

to be honest, all you need to read that is the no cookie wall extension for chrome or firefox.

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Acceptance phase?

Jon Wilner must have gone to UC Berkley. This is crazy.

I think all of this "holding on to the conference" rhetoric is coming from UC Berkley, Stanford, UW, and Oregon. The belief that they are still going to be competitive in that conference seems both arrogant and delusional. Nobody is going to watch that.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, MrBig said:

The Pac 12 adding SDSU and Fresno State is the Big 12 equivalent of adding TCU and WVU. Bold strategy.

Not really.

It’s more like if the Big 12 had added UTEP and Tulsa back in 2011.

WVU was at least a large state university that was P5 adjacent and TCU at least was a successful program in a big market. Fresno and SDSU are comparative trash.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Not really.

It’s more like if the Big 12 had added UTEP and Tulsa back in 2011.

WVU was at least a large state university that was P5 adjacent and TCU at least was a successful program in a big market. Fresno and SDSU are comparative trash.

Yeah.  WVU won BCS games in '05, '07, and '11 from a power conference (admittedly the weakest one) and played for national titles after the '88 and '93 seasons.  TCU won the Rose Bowl after the 2010 season and finished with a Top 10 team in '05, '08, '09, and '10.  The Frogs were in a major conference for about 70-80 years prior to the end of the SWC.

Neither SDSU nor Fresno have ever done anything remotely on par.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

The Pac 12 adding SDSU and Fresno State is the Big 12 equivalent of adding TCU and WVU. Bold strategy.

West Virginia is significantly above any of these programs in prestige. The rest are historically small programs that have had decent run recently. TCU’s run came on the back of Gary Patterson who’s gone now, and it will be interesting to see where this program goes without him. 

• Hook 'Em 1