Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

On 2/27/2024 at 1:18 PM, thunderlounge said:

I agree on credibility, but this also is not the first time it’s been mentioned in the past month or so. Granted it may have been through the same source.

They’d get recruits that aren’t getting love from the top half of the SEC, but don’t want b12 either.

NU 2.0 

Nobody besides Swaim has reported it and he cites no sources. 

It's 100% bullshit.

18 hours ago, AeroHorn said:

If I were Yormack, I would play into the aggy psyche to get them into Big12. All he has to do is praise them, call them champions, and practice their traditions (humping and other degenerate acts) a couple of times. Tell them that they don’t need SEC money but a stage to showcase their championship pedigree without the nefarious UT scheming to keep them down. Seal the deal with a few gentlemanly handshakes regarding premium level membership and aggy would trip over themselves in making ingratiating videos to their former and since new conference mates. 

Big 12 and aggy deserve each other.

On 2/28/2024 at 2:36 AM, notre dame joe said:

that's how we broke a 2 week gap in CR thread?

It’s telling because in 2022 there were 7 FBS independent teams with ND, BYU, Army, UConn, UMass, Liberty, and NMSU and now we’re down to just ND and UConn. While I have no doubt the Irish will be able to put together a schedule with (USC/Stanford/Navy+4ACC games each year), UConn’s outlook is not so great and might lead to them looking for a landing spot.

The American now has 14 fb teams with Army so they don’t want/need UConn back.

The MAC just added UMass into get to 13, unit they have stated they do not want any football only affiliates so full membership is likely a non stater for UConn.

CUSA is adding Delaware and Kennesaw State (GA) to go with recent additions of Jacksonville State (AL), NMSU, Sam Houston St, Liberty, and will have 11 full members, so they might be desperate for a football only affiliate.

Their obvious goal is to find a permanent spot in the ACC/B12 level and are likely just trying to hold out until the dust settles with whatever happens with Florida State.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

It’s telling because in 2022 there were 7 FBS independent teams with ND, BYU, Army, UConn, UMass, Liberty, and NMSU and now we’re down to just ND and UConn. While I have no doubt the Irish will be able to put together a schedule with (USC/Stanford/Navy+4ACC games each year), UConn’s outlook is not so great and might lead to them looking for a landing spot.

The American now has 14 fb teams with Army so they don’t want/need UConn back.

The MAC just added UMass into get to 13, unit they have stated they do not want any football only affiliates so full membership is likely a non stater for UConn.

CUSA is adding Delaware and Kennesaw State (GA) to go with recent additions of Jacksonville State (AL), NMSU, Sam Houston St, Liberty, and will have 11 full members, so they might be desperate for a football only affiliate.

Their obvious goal is to find a permanent spot in the ACC/B12 level and are likely just trying to hold out until the dust settles with whatever happens with Florida State.

I can see UCONN joining a conference in the next year or two. I'm thinking either Big 12 or ACC.

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I can see UCONN joining a conference in the next year or two. I'm thinking either Big 12 or ACC.

They seem like an obvious ACC backfill if anyone gets out.  Doesn't really harm the football profile and raises hoops.

• Hook 'Em 1

UCONN is just one retirement and bad hire away from being irrelevant in basketball. But lets say they keep their basketball programs in the top ten. Then there is only one reason for the Big12 or ACC to consider adding UCONN and that is ESPN headquarters are just 45 miles away from the UCONN campus. UCONN gets really favorable press from ESPN. We all know how there is generally a north east media bias. And UCONN benefits the most from that. Of course we currently see that the get ZERO coverage of their football team. But that would certainly change if your home schedule changed from Sacred Heart, UMass, James Madison, Rice, Georgia St, FIU & Ball St to basically any mix of BIG 12 or ACC schools.

36 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

UCONN is just one retirement and bad hire away from being irrelevant in basketball. But lets say they keep their basketball programs in the top ten. Then there is only one reason for the Big12 or ACC to consider adding UCONN and that is ESPN headquarters are just 45 miles away from the UCONN campus. UCONN gets really favorable press from ESPN. We all know how there is generally a north east media bias. And UCONN benefits the most from that. Of course we currently see that the get ZERO coverage of their football team. But that would certainly change if your home schedule changed from Sacred Heart, UMass, James Madison, Rice, Georgia St, FIU & Ball St to basically any mix of BIG 12 or ACC schools.

I'm not sure that they're any more this way than any other school.  There's a lot of talent in the northeast and one bad hire won't erase that memory.

UConn already withstood a bad hire and bounced back. They’re a solid basketball add. When realignment went nuts they should have found a way to invest in the football program to be at least relevant.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not sure that they're any more this way than any other school.  There's a lot of talent in the northeast and one bad hire won't erase that memory.

They’ve won the title with four different coaches so I’m with you.  The other New York area schools suck so they can do damage

Edited by closetohumping

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

They’ve won the title with four diffeeent coaches so I’m with you.  The other New York area schools suck so they can do damage

And one of those guys actually turned out to be a shitty head coach.

I think it's strange the the NFL has a lot of fans in the Northeast, but none of them seem to care about college football. You'd think at least one of them could draw support, but it seem to me that UConn tried and then gave up when the Big East fell apart and they were left out of the ACC. Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers, none of them seem to do anything outside a year or two of success here and there. I mean, Rutgers was literally one of the first schools to play football. It's just strange to me that they are so bad most years.

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think it's strange the the NFL has a lot of fans in the Northeast, but none of them seem to care about college football. You'd think at least one of them could draw support, but it seem to me that UConn tried and then gave up when the Big East fell apart and they were left out of the ACC. Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers, none of them seem to do anything outside a year or two of success here and there. I mean, Rutgers was literally one of the first schools to play football. It's just strange to me that they are so bad most years.

There are pockets all over the country like this and it always surprises me.

Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and Chicago couldn't give two shits about college football, and are rabid about the NFL.  Milwaukee, all of Ohio, Detroit, and Kansas City all have major college football followings as well as hardcore NFL allegiance.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There are pockets all over the country like this and it always surprises me.

Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and Chicago couldn't give two shits about college football, and are rabid about the NFL.  Milwaukee, all of Ohio, Detroit, and Kansas City all have major college football followings as well as hardcore NFL allegiance.

From a high level yes but a guy in Cleveland cares about the browns a lot more than the bucks, and of course reverse that with Columbus 

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

From a high level yes but a guy in Cleveland cares about the browns a lot more than the bucks, and of course reverse that with Columbus 

I guarantee there are more dudes in Cleveland locked into the Bucks than there are guys in Minneapolis locked into the Gophers or guys in Chicago locked into NW or Illinois.

My point is that some markets that are really into football just eschew college ball completely, while other similar markets embrace both college and pro with relatively equal fervor.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My point is that some markets that are really into football just eschew college ball completely, while other similar markets embrace both college and pro with relatively equal fervor.

While true, what college teams around them don’t totally suck shit through a straw?

That’s probably the bigger contributor to their reasoning. 

6 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

While true, what college teams around them don’t totally suck shit through a straw?

Northwestern regularly had good seasons in the past 15 years and can't get any traction in Chicago.  Minnesota has had some decent teams recently, albeit playing a terrible Big 10 West schedule.  It doesn't matter if Michigan is bad, it's a big deal in the Detroit area.  It doesn't matter if Texas or Aggy sucks, it's a big deal anywhere in Texas.

I think Minnesota does it as a way to differentiate themselves from their neighbors.  Because Iowa and the Dakotas don't have pro sports, big timing college sports is a way for them to say "we're more important than that and don't have time to waste on such trivial pursuits".  Minnesotans love nothing more than feeling superior to their neighbors.  With Chicago I think it has more to do with NW being a private school and so there aren't a ton of alumni living in town and developing a connection with the city wasn't fostered 50 years ago and it's just never taken off.  Illinois is far enough way to just be out of that world altogether.

I think in the northeast it's a matter of people having incredibly small worlds.  Anything outside the metro they live in almost doesn't exist.  Syracuse is just too far from NYC.  Even Rutgers is, and that's in Jersey so they aren't going to attach to it.  BC?  Not sure there.  Might be the private thing again.

I think there are unique factors in all of these situations that contribute more than their the on-field successes.  A lot of college fanhood comes from attachments to the institution or places the teams represent.

Wisconsin is one of the states where college and pros get good traction. You have the Bucks & the Packers. Then the Badgers and believe it or not Marquette's home attendance averages 15,000. And they play their home games in the same arena as the Bucks.

Houston is weird as well, They be crazy for CFB as long as its not Houston.

1 minute ago, CustersDoctor said:

Wisconsin is one of the states where college and pros get good traction. You have the Bucks & the Packers. Then the Badgers and believe it or not Marquette's home attendance averages 15,000. And they play their home games in the same arena as the Bucks.

Houston is weird as well, They be crazy for CFB as long as its not Houston.

Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Kansas (I'm counting the Chiefs since such a large % of that metro is in Kansas), Pennsylvania, and Washington all have NFL teams and strongly embrace college football.

Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, NY/NJ, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Maryland/DC, California, Arizona, and Colorado all have NFL but are hit and miss on supporting their major colleges.

What's interesting is it isn't regional, political, or anything like that.  

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 3:07 PM, thunderlounge said:

Minnesota used to be a national power.  They have 4 MNCs.  But then the Vikings arrived.  SMU and Rice were solid before the Cowboys and Oilers.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2024 at 2:25 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Northwestern regularly had good seasons in the past 15 years and can't get any traction in Chicago.  Minnesota has had some decent teams recently, albeit playing a terrible Big 10 West schedule.  It doesn't matter if Michigan is bad, it's a big deal in the Detroit area.  It doesn't matter if Texas or Aggy sucks, it's a big deal anywhere in Texas.

I think Minnesota does it as a way to differentiate themselves from their neighbors.  Because Iowa and the Dakotas don't have pro sports, big timing college sports is a way for them to say "we're more important than that and don't have time to waste on such trivial pursuits".  Minnesotans love nothing more than feeling superior to their neighbors.  With Chicago I think it has more to do with NW being a private school and so there aren't a ton of alumni living in town and developing a connection with the city wasn't fostered 50 years ago and it's just never taken off.  Illinois is far enough way to just be out of that world altogether.

I think in the northeast it's a matter of people having incredibly small worlds.  Anything outside the metro they live in almost doesn't exist.  Syracuse is just too far from NYC.  Even Rutgers is, and that's in Jersey so they aren't going to attach to it.  BC?  Not sure there.  Might be the private thing again.

I think there are unique factors in all of these situations that contribute more than their the on-field successes.  A lot of college fanhood comes from attachments to the institution or places the teams represent.

aggy is never a big deal......except the meat pimp 

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:01 AM, 'stache said:

The traditional northeast powers (Harvard, Yale, Princeton) all abdicated while the left behinds were never good.  If for some reason the old Big12 schools all dropped big time football, the southwest would not sell out the stadia of Tulsa, North Texas, and Rice, but just go NFL.  It is a big draw in the community when the grandparents remember the great teams. 

Edited by notre dame joe
  • Hook 'Em 2

Do FSU and Clemson have a place to go? 

Question: is the B1G network still structured with same financial incentive for entering a new region, as it was back when it took in Rutgers and Maryland? If it is, I could see the B1G taking them. If it isn’t, I’d be skeptical. 

1 minute ago, statsman said:

Do FSU and Clemson have a place to go? 

Question: is the B1G network still structured with same financial incentive for entering a new region, as it was back when it took in Rutgers and Maryland? If it is, I could see the B1G taking them. If it isn’t, I’d be skeptical. 

Don't overthink this

• Hook 'Em 1

I just want one side (whether it is the ACC or the unsatisfied institutions) to have a lopsided, humiliating loss. Either GORs are eviscerated or FSU & Clemson get tagged with a huge exit fee. I also want Stanford to have to be in a conference with Texas Tech. While I have your attention, I'd like to date an Asian college girl from California and some inside info on the next big crypto investment. I'm not asking for the world here. It just boils down to who among (or whom amongst) you will step up and deliver on all of this. I'm not getting any younger, so someone needs to get motivated and get to work. I'm counting on you. 

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

I just want one side (whether it is the ACC or the unsatisfied institutions) to have a lopsided, humiliating loss. Either GORs are eviscerated or FSU & Clemson get tagged with a huge exit fee. I also want Stanford to have to be in a conference with Texas Tech. While I have your attention, I'd like to date an Asian college girl from California and some inside info on the next big crypto investment. I'm not asking for the world here. It just boils down to who among (or whom amongst) you will step up and deliver on all of this. I'm not getting any younger, so someone needs to get motivated and get to work. I'm counting on you. 

Where do I sign?

On 3/4/2024 at 3:25 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

The weird thing to me with both MSP and Boston is that while CFB and college hoops are irrelevant, college hockey is a big fucking deal. Like completely baffles me that it doesn't carry over to other sports at the schools... at all. I grew up about 20 miles north of Boston and the guys I was around wouldn't know a damn thing about BC football outside of Doug Flutie, but they could talk all day about random players like Don Sweeney and Steve Heinze. And it's not like any of them had a hope in hell at getting accepted at BC or BU, yet alone Northeastern or Harvard. What college football fans there were in the area all tended to be Domers anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bullet said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/clemson-sues-acc-over-unconscionable-fees-to-exit-conference/ar-BB1kbLsY

The story on Clemson's lawsuit.  They take a different tack than FSU.  FSU went the fraud angle.  Clemson is taking a legal misinterpretation angle.

They said the same thing about the exit fee being exorbitant as FSU, but the twist is Clemson is saying that the GOR was only enforceable while they are conference members and once they leave the conference the GOR is no longer applicable.

So they want to pay a reasonable exit fee and leave with their rights as free agents. If the court rules their way expect many others to follow quickly.

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Then the ACC as we know it is dead man walking.  Those are the two most valuable football schools and therefore the most important. 

Without those two schools, they are paid worse than the Big XII, and still have a better conference than the Big XII- UNC, Stanford, VT, Miami,…

of course, you could have said the same about the PAC, after UCLA and USC bolted, so…?

I’m amazed at the strength provided to the Big XII by the knowledge of the various members that there is no better option out there. 

Edited by statsman

Reading the thread on the FSU board. Don’t know any of the posters or how knowledgeable they are. There is almost no discussion of where they might land should they exit the ACC. 

Either they trust their leaders or they just assume one of the P2 would pick them up, and don’t care which?

19 minutes ago, statsman said:

Either they trust their leaders or they just assume one of the P2 would pick them up, and don’t care which?

This is Clemson. They prefer to be with the rest of the Reds, but ultimately don't care as long as one of the P2 offers an invite. 

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

They said the same thing about the exit fee being exorbitant as FSU, but the twist is Clemson is saying that the GOR was only enforceable while they are conference members and once they leave the conference the GOR is no longer applicable.

So they want to pay a reasonable exit fee and leave with their rights as free agents. If the court rules their way expect many others to follow quickly.

That strikes me as an absurdly dumb argument. Hundreds of articles were written that grants of rights were specifically to obtain higher payouts from the networks with a promise of long term stability (i.e., you're stuck with us if you sign). I'm not sure how they can argue that wasn't clear at the time. If a team could break a grant of rights by simply exiting the conference, they are literally meaningless. Once Clemson and FSU have a home, and whoever else the BIG or SEC want from the ACC (UNC, UVA, maybe Miami), grants of rights won't be necessary anymore, because the biggest brands will be off the board. The Big XII's new contract has one, but it's not really necessary, since the SEC and BIG aren't interested. If anything, I'd say do away with the grants of rights understanding that literally any program will take more money if offered.