Austin love triangle murder

HornPhD

5 hours ago, chainsaw said:

If she doesn't plead guilty what would the defense strategy even look like? I guess it would be some kind of "she was afraid of being wrongly accused" which makes sense because they were questioning her until they had to let her go on a technicality, but that doesn't explain everything else like the gun, the motive, the text messages, the doorbell camera footage...

Seems like a losing battle to me

"She thought she shot a deer."

pols_feature52.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, WBT said:

So the cops didn't think to be on the look out for the sister's passport?

I’m sure they’ve known she was in Costa Rica longer than the media has. No sense in letting her know she needs to go somewhere else. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/search-warrant-gives-new-details-about-what-kaitlin-armstrong-did-after-moriah-wilsons-murder/

According to court documents, Strickland told police Armstrong had bought a new phone after hers was taken by APD during a search of their Austin home. He also said he had gotten an alert on his phone which notified him Armstrong had attempted to make a purchase at Walmart.

APD followed up with the Walmart, according to those documents, and found that Armstrong had purchased a new phone and a prepaid debit card.

That prepaid card was what Armstrong used to pay for a trip with a ride service to the airport, court documents say. That was on May 13.

That is also how police found an email account they believe was used by Armstrong. Police filed a search warrant for that account Monday.

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/kaitlin-armstrong-practised-shooting-with-her-sister-had-450-k-in-bank-from-colin-strickland/

spacer.png

They also seized her MacBook Pro and a second house she owned in Austin–not the one which she lived with Strickland.

Armstrong also has an outstanding charge of theft of services for an incident in 2018 when she walked out on paying a Botox bill at a clinic in Texas. In New Jersey Federal Court, she will face a federal charge of misusing a passport for fleeing the country using a passport other than her own.

Imagine being "second home in Austin" rich but stiffing your Botox tab.

Texas cycling love triangle murder suspect Kaitlin Armstrong was dating while hiding out in Costa Rica after the shooting death of a romantic rival who had gone to dinner with her boyfriend, according to a new report.

The 34-year-old fugitive was using the name "Ari," one of several aliases U.S. Marshals said she had adopted while on the run for 43 days,

"Ari was a strange person," Teal Oceans Akerson, an expat surf instructor, told the Austin American-Statesman. "I met her right outside the tattoo shop, Good Life Tattoos, and her friends were getting tattooed, so she was waiting out there on the bench."

They struck up a conversation, exchanged numbers and went on a handful of dates, he said.

"She said that she had just been through a real traumatizing breakup, and she hadn’t healed from it yet and wasn’t ready to get close at all," he said. "So we were just being friends."

He said she preferred to go out to secluded spots and that her appearance when he met her did not match the images marshals had publicized during the manhunt.

"I didn’t put any of it together – you wouldn’t imagine it," he said. "But after it all happened … you hear what she was really doing and running from, it made sense that she didn’t want to be seen."

Akerson could not immediately be reached for comment, but, during the interview, he corroborated reports that Armstrong had undergone some kind of plastic surgery to alter her facial features.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-love-triangle-murder-suspect-165148540.html

Fun bar story to share with the fellas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2022-08-17/kaitlin-armstrongs-attorneys-suggest-police-lied-to-arrest-her/

Spoiler

To thousands of true-crime watchers, Kaitlin Armstrong looks pretty guilty of murder.

The Austin yoga instructor was arrested in the killing of a rising-star cyclist who had dated her boyfriend. She fled to Costa Rica, where she reportedly assumed a new identity, shortly after Moriah “Mo” Wilson’s shooting death. But Armstrong's attorneys now suggest Austin police arrested her based on false statements.

At her first hearing after returning to Austin, defense attorney Rick Cofer told press that police had failed to investigate vandalism at Armstrong and then-boyfriend Colin Strickland’s shared home, and had failed to seriously investigate Strickland.

Now her attorneys are suggesting that police lied in the probable cause affidavit required for her arrest. On Wednesday, August 17, they filed motions to suppress evidence and to call for what’s known as a Franks hearing, a court proceeding wherein Armstrong’s counsel will seek to “traverse” the warrant by proving to a judge that the information establishing probable cause is false. In this case, the judge is Brenda Kennedy, who’s set to retire in December.

The Chronicle has yet to receive copies of the newly filed motions, but one to examine and inspect evidence related to a “test fire” suggests that attorneys believe gun evidence is misleading. Monday, Cofer told the Chronicle he planned to file motions that would “address serious issues in the case against Kait.”

As for Armstrong’s trip to Costa Rica, Cofer said she was in a state of shock. “Imagine waking up on May 13th and you’re Kait Armstrong. Your partner and lover of three and a half years had just spent nine hours at the [police] headquarters being interrogated for murder.”

On May 12, the day Strickland was interrogated, Armstrong was also arrested on a 2018 warrant for allegedly failing to pay for Botox services. Cofer said police took Armstrong from her home in handcuffs in front of her neighbors, interrogated her briefly, but then told her that bringing her in was “all a mistake.” Per court documents, on May 12 police confronted her with a video that showed a black SUV (like hers) pulling up to the home where Wilson was killed, but had to release Armstrong when her birthdate on the 2018 warrant and in APD’s system did not match up.

After this interrogation ordeal, as Cofer tells it, Armstrong awoke the morning of May 13 to find vandalism at her home, which was very disorienting. Cofer asks the public to imagine living through these two days, “Not knowing you were safe; not knowing what role, if any, the people in your life may have played in the death of Mo Wilson. Imagine the fear and terror, but most importantly the shock, that Kait Armstrong had to feel. It makes a lot of sense that she would want to be with family [in New York].”

Armstrong traveled to upstate New York prior to an arrest warrant being filed in Austin, and then traveled to Costa Rica using what the U.S. Marshals described as a fraudulent passport. One of Armstrong’s attorneys, Mark Pryor, said traveling internationally for yoga was a normal occurrence for Armstrong. An expat surfer in Costa Rica, Teal Akerson, told the Statesman he went on several dates with Armstrong and that she was going by the name “Ari.” He also said she’d described going through a “traumatizing breakup” recently. The Chronicle reached Akerson, who offered an interview for $5,000, which we declined.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2022-08-19/kaitlin-armstrong-defense-team-police-concocted-a-misogynistic-and-fictitious-story/

Her defense team doesn’t refute that she left the country using a new identity, but in a 178-page motion filed Aug. 18, they’ve taken aim at almost every other piece of evidence. On Friday, Oct. 19, they told District Judge Brenda Kennedy they're ready for her to consider on these motions now; as of press time, a hearing (which may or may not involve taking up the attorneys' request) is set for Wednesday, August 24.

That motion, obtained by the Chronicle, asserts that that affidavit was full of “lies, mischaracterizations, and reckless disregard for the truth.” The motion also includes the transcript of the lengthy police interview with Colin Strickland, as well as pieces of Armstrong’s own interrogation. (Excerpts included below)

Here’s what both sides agree on. While 25-year-old Wilson was staying at a friend’s house in Austin (ahead of a race in Dallas a few days later), she and Strickland went on a secret swimming date. Police allege the evidence suggests that Armstrong followed Wilson into her home and shot her twice in the head and once in the chest, then quickly fled,returning home in time to meet up with Strickland less than an hour later.

Armstrong's defense counsel says there’s no good evidence, and police know it, despite claims made in the affidavit: No, a test fire did not show that there was a “significant” potential that Armstrong’s gun and the casings found near Wilson’s body matched. No, Armstrong did not nod when detectives said maybe she’d been hanging around Wilson’s home because she was upset. No, Strickland did not say Armstrong blocked Wilson in his phone. No, a car like Armstrong’s was not seen near Wilson’s house one minute after Wilson arrived home – the detective later found that a security camera’s timestamp was wrong, and took more than 50 days to update the report. No, an anonymous female caller’s account that Armstrong was shaking with rage and said she wanted to kill Wilson was not credible – a second anonymous caller said he was present during the same conversation the first caller had described, but Armstrong didn’t seem furious and didn’t say she wanted to kill Wilson.

And no, a neighbor didn’t observe a bike speeding away from Wilson’s place the night of her death. Actually, he told police he was high the night of the murder and said, “I may or may not have imagined the whisking bike part and having the impression of a southbound bike. But I, it’s like … actually hard for me to testify in a court of law to that only because like I didn’t fucking see it and it could be my imagination. … Like the whole thing about me saying there was a bike? Like I don’t fuckin’ know for sure.”

Armstrong’s attorneys, Rick Cofer and Mark Pryor, conclude: “[APD] Detective [Richard] Spitler concocted a misogynistic and fictitious story portraying Ms. Armstrong as a jealous woman scorned by Mr. Strickland.”

Wow. That's an awful lot of making shit up, even for cops, even for APD, if it's true.

Here is a link to the 178 motion

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/22155535-kaitlin-armstrong-motion-to-suppress-evidence-20220817

In his affidavit seeking arrest of Ms. Armstrong, Detective Spitler concocted a misogynistic and fictitious story portraying Ms. Armstrong as a jealous woman scorned by Mr. Strickland. This narrative is a lie. As Colin Strickland said, “Fuck you guys for manipulating me.”

Is Armstrong's attorney literally saying "fuck you" to the DA, in a formal legal filing? If so, bravo.

Clap Reaction GIF

Is she gonna beat this rap on a technicality?

Edited by chainsaw

5 minutes ago, hornian said:

We didn't talk about that back in undergrad or law school, so I can't help you out there. 

Oh I know but it's his motion right? To me that blows this case wide open. Of course, the whole part about how she sold the car, fled the country using a different passport, tried to change her appearance, and hid out in Costa Rica still looks terrible

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I was talking about the defense attorney that was in the interrogation room with the boyfriend and that was quoted directly from the tape of that interview in the Chron article.  My bad. 

Nothing gets Surly rocks off like a good apology, and this sir, is not a good apology. Clean your shit up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/18/2022 at 7:05 AM, chainsaw said:

On May 12, the day Strickland was interrogated, Armstrong was also arrested on a 2018 warrant for allegedly failing to pay for Botox services. Cofer said police took Armstrong from her home in handcuffs in front of her neighbors, interrogated her briefly, but then told her that bringing her in was “all a mistake.”

I don’t get it. Who is arrested and put in handcuffs for failing to pay a medical bill?

8 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Oh I know but it's his motion right? To me that blows this case wide open. Of course, the whole part about how she sold the car, fled the country using a different passport, tried to change her appearance, and hid out in Costa Rica still looks terrible

Bro. Do you even OJ Simpson down the Santa Ana Fwy? 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

I don’t get it. Who is arrested and put in handcuffs for failing to pay a medical bill?

I think it's the medical equivalent of a dine and dash. The bill was for botox I believe, which I assume is supposed to be paid at the time of the service.

7 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think it's the medical equivalent of a dine and dash. The bill was for botox I believe, which I assume is supposed to be paid at the time of the service.

That’s true of pretty much all in-office medical bills. But “dine and dash” is still pretty common and it is difficult if not impossible for the provider to collect. 

• 4 weeks later...