2022 NCAA Tournament Thread

TrashMaster G

Just out of curiosity, what happens if two teams that didn't host the regional advance to the same super regional? Who hosts? If it's a 2 and a 3 seed would the 2 seed host? What if they're both 2 seeds? Highest RPI? Coin flip? This is assuming both are capable and willing to host.

Edited by 'stache

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Just out of curiosity, what happens if two teams that didn't host the regional advance to the same super regional? Who hosts? If it's a 2 and a 3 seed would the 2 seed host? What if they're both 2 seeds? Highest RPI? Coin flip? This is assuming both are capable and willing to host.

If they both make super regional bids then...um...not sure.

We had a weird situation last year where neither school made a super regional bid so it was played at the park of the eliminated top 8 national seed I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So they have 1 #3 and 3 #2 seeds winning regionals.  That seems like a lot of losing hosts.

Not unusual - in 2019 we had 3 #3 seeds win their regionals and 1 #2 win. 2018 had FIVE #2 and two #3 seeds advance. 

So what they have in the simulation is pretty chalky IMHO.

aggy is built to be upset because they don't have any dominant starters on the mound.

Their 3 starters are Dettmer (4.12 ERA), Dallas (5.16 ERA), and Prager (5.13 ERA). 

Dettmer is their normal Friday guy but he's had 4 straight bad starts. They might have to even shake up their rotation in this one. Dettmer vs Oral Roberts has massive potential for a 4 vs 1 upset. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

If they both make super regional bids then...um...not sure.

We had a weird situation last year where neither school made a super regional bid so it was played at the park of the eliminated top 8 national seed I think.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think if neither regional winner submitted a super-regional bid then it will be played at one of the teams that lost in those two regionals that did submit a super-regional bid

Pretty sure that was just a last year thing because of Covid. DBU and Virginia played their regional that some other school that was one of the 16 "approved" host sites the NCAA was doing. They even had a 1 seed play a regional on another teams field because they approved the host sites before the actual hosting teams were announced.

They were going to do 50% capacity for the regionals, super regionals and Omaha up until about a week before the tournament started if I remember correctly. 

Normally it's the higher seed hosts if two non 1-seeds are paired. If they are both the same seed then it goes to bidding like in 2014 when both Texas and Houston were 2 seeds and matched in the supers.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's the general consensus. Almost everyone thinks there are going to be a lot of upsets. 

This season there are a lot of “lesser” teams that have a roster of 4,5, and 6 year players thanks to Covid. That experience and age/maturity going up against teams that rely a lot on highly ranked freshmen is what is making people think the regionals are more prone to upset winners. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Texas Tech is a crazy three seed. The committee was not kind to Georgia Southern.

They're a midmajor who's hosting despite not winning either their conference regular season or conference tournament.  That seems awfully kind to me.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They're a midmajor who's hosting despite not winning either their conference regular season or conference tournament.  That seems awfully kind to me.

I guess they balanced it out be sending them Notre Dame and Texas Tech, who each were good enough to host but kept stumbling over themselves late in the year.

28 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Softest regionals per D1 baseball writers. I would probably have UNC below Texas and Tennessee at #3 but I get it. Georgia is better than any team in the Austin or Knoxville regional. 

Here is where I would make a joke about Georgia's long history of choking and underachieving though since their football team beat Alabama I guess I will give them a break.

Texas not hitting a #1 in the Supers since '11 is because the SEC is overrated every year. 

2014 we hosted UH because LSU choked in their regional.

2018 we hosted Tennessee Tech because Ole Miss choked in their regional.

2021 we hosted USF because Florida choked in their regional. 

Sensing a trend here? 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas not hitting a #1 in the Supers since '11 is because the SEC is overrated every year. 

2014 we hosted UH because LSU choked in their regional.

2018 we hosted Tennessee Tech because Ole Miss choked in their regional.

2021 we hosted USF because Florida choked in their regional. 

Sensing a trend here? 

Yeah, Texas likes to go to Omaha 😏

• Hook 'Em 2

I went back and looked at our tourney history from 1999 forward.  '99 was the first year of the 64-team field and the Super Regionals round.

#s indicate the team's seeding within their Regional.  For the Regional column, that is UT's seed and location of the Regional.  For the Supers, # indicates our opponents' seed in their Regional. Record is UT's record in that round of the playoffs.

image.png.d8f0bfb2374fe72de6d1b0ec86806938.png

10-1 is a pretty salty overall record for Supers.  Gotta think that would compare favorably with just about anyone.

• Hook 'Em 6

16 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I went back and looked at our tourney history from 1999 forward.  '99 was the first year of the 64-team field and the Super Regionals round.

#s indicate the team's seeding within their Regional.  For the Regional column, that is UT's seed and location of the Regional.  For the Supers, # indicates our opponents' seed in their Regional. Record is UT's record in that round of the playoffs.

image.png.d8f0bfb2374fe72de6d1b0ec86806938.png

10-1 is a pretty salty overall record for Supers.  Gotta think that would compare favorably with just about anyone.

What you've got in 2012 should be in 2014 IIRC.  I don't think we even made the tournament in 2012.

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

All P5 teams. Interdasting.

Well, that simulation thing is stupid because it doesn't explain what is being used to rank the teams before the simulation.  If he's using an algorithm that heavily weights SOS, of course he's going to end up with all P5 teams.  

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

What you've got in 2012 should be in 2014 IIRC.  I don't think we even made the tournament in 2012.

2012 and 2013 was when all our great pitchers left but our shitty hitters stayed. Very rough couple years.

Yeah 2014 was the year we almost were the team of destiny.

And we also famously got humiliated by Arkansas in the second game of the 2005 Regionals before storming back for revenge. That was no 3-0 Regional, it was 4-1. The 2005 team liked to live dangerously. Not that it really matters for the point of the graph though.

Edited by Valmy77

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

And we also famously got humiliated by Arkansas in the second game of the 2005 Regionals before storming back for revenge. That was no 3-0 Regional, it was 4-1.

I wish I could remember the name of that pitcher they had.  He just dominated us on Saturday, and then they brought him back to start the elimination game on Monday.  He had nothing left, but we just barely got enough to win.  I saw his mom leaving the stadium and she was crying, so I told her that her son was a badass and that I wished we had him on our staff because we'd win the whole damn thing if we did.  She thanked me and smiled really big even though she was still crying.  Turned out we didn't need him.  

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I wish I could remember the name of that pitcher they had.  He just dominated us on Saturday, and then they brought him back to start the elimination game on Monday.  He had nothing left, but we just barely got enough to win.  I saw his mom leaving the stadium and she was crying, so I told her that her son was a badass and that I wished we had him on our staff because we'd win the whole damn thing if we did.  She thanked me and smiled really big even though she was still crying.  Turned out we didn't need him.  

https://texassports.com/news/2005/6/4/060405aaa_421.aspx

26 minutes ago, bluto said:

Charley Boyce. Dude pitched his Dick off in wretched weather conditions on that turf. 

That's him.  I guess he must have pitched the Friday game for them.  But we knocked around their whole staff in that Sunday game to the point that they had no one left to pitch the final game, but he took the ball and pitched like a fucking superhero and nearly beat us.

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Here is where I would make a joke about Georgia's long history of choking and underachieving though since their football team beat Alabama I guess I will give them a break.

Regarding baseball (and basketball to an absolutely mind-bottling degree), you'd be right.

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That's him.  I guess he must have pitched the Friday game for them.  But we knocked around their whole staff in that Sunday game to the point that they had no one left to pitch the final game, but he took the ball and pitched like a fucking superhero and nearly beat us.

Threw 122 pitches g1 to beat miami oh, then 121 pitches vs Tx on Monday. Craig Gentry was on that pig team too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh fuck that. It only took em like 40 fucking chances to finally get over the hump. They suck ass in baseball, they suck even more ass in basketball. Somehow. Talk about an accomplishment good Christ. But no. Don’t ever trust Georgia. In anything. This last January changes nothing. Imagine a world where Vince, TJ Ford and our entire baseball program didn’t exist. There. You got Georgia. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Oh fuck that. It only took em like 40 fucking chances to finally get over the hump. They suck ass in baseball, they suck even more ass in basketball. Somehow. Talk about an accomplishment good Christ. But no. Don’t ever trust Georgia. In anything. This last January changes nothing. Imagine a world where Vince, TJ Ford and our entire baseball program didn’t exist. There. You got Georgia. 

But they count Herschel and Marjorie as alums!

• Haha 1