The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

It’s really simple, play competitive baseball in Omaha and I’m good. cards fall as they fall. But This has been hot garbage for two games. I’m not good. Would I wish texas not make Omaha? JFC no of course I want to be here, I want to be here and play competitive baseball.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

There were no dominant teams this year outside of Tennessee and we had more returning talent than anyone, even with Witt going down.  2 and Q even without Witt is diappointing.  

2 and Q is always disappointing, but I’ve seen these guys win twice and I’m only 35.  So, I’ve got that going for me! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Let’s actually test this theory about development. 

Guys who came back from last year:

Hodo- Got better

Faltine- Got better

Melendez- Got better

Campbell- Got better

Ardoin- Got better

Gordon- Got better

Southard- Got better

Stehly- Got better

Kennedy- N/A. Hurt and was about the same as previous years when he was healthy

Hansen- About the same

Daly- regressed 

Nixon- regressed

Stevens- up and down

So out of 13 main contributors returning we had about 70% of them improve their game year over year, including several guys take on prominent roles this year who barely sniffed the field last year.

Hansen is way worse. He’s been leaving the ball up all year. That’s why he’s given up 17 HRs. Granted way worse is still an All American but he hasn’t been the same guy as last year. Our pitching staff regressed pretty badly overall. Guys have struggled throwing strikes and confidence has been low.

On the other side of the ball our offense has taken big steps forward. Pitching coach change should happen

Edited by hobbes2702

Just now, Beau Vine said:

So incredibly stupid.  

I’ll rephrase…worst bullpen group ever.

The middle relief group (really the whole bullpen outside of Tristan) this entire season has been bad.  It is how they lost a series to kstate, crushed by the pokes, 14-2 to AF, and it is what really hurting them today.  

even when they were flying high in Houston after beating Tennessee and lsu, everyone could see that control issues were killing the middle relief group. And it never got better except for the occasional great outing from Tristan. 

Fristrating that it really hasn’t gotten better. 

hopefully the offense can get something going and bail them out here. 

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Hansen is way worse. He’s been leaving the ball up all year. That’s why he’s given up 17 HRs. Granted way worse is still an All American but he hasn’t been the same guy as last year. Our pitching staff regressed pretty badly overall. Guys have struggled throwing strikes and confidence has been low.

Our walks per 9 are better than last years staff.

Don’t let Hansen’s last two outings cloud over what he did all year. We wouldn’t have sniffed hosting a regional without his heroic outings the second half of the season and conference tournament when we had zero bullpen help. All his home runs problems came in like 3 outings with the wind blowing straight out.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, sidis said:

The middle relief group (really the whole bullpen outside of Tristan) this entire season has been bad.  It is how they lost a series to kstate, crushed by the pokes, 14-2 to AF, and it is what really hurting them today.  

even when they were flying high in Houston after beating Tennessee and lsu, everyone could see that control issues were killing the middle relief group. And it never got better except for the occasional great outing from Tristan. 

Lol yea that’s quite the rephrase to say the least. Mein Kampf is a rephrase of the Gettysburg Address 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don’t let Hansen’s last two outings cloud over what he did all year. We wouldn’t have sniffed hosting a regional without his heroic outings the second half of the season and conference tournament when we had zero bullpen help.

Hansen had a great year. Ultimately he's probably a championship 2 not a championship 1. That isn't his fault. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How do we have a staff full of 89 mph arms. Southard is the only pitcher I’ve seen with dominant stuff. And the guys with 89 mph fastballs aren’t accurate and miss high constantly.

Pitching beats hitting in the CWS. Our arms are all far from dominant. 

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

Also no, shut up 

1 minute ago, jinx said:

How do we have a staff full of 89 mph arms. Southard is the only pitcher I’ve seen with dominant stuff. And the guys with 89 mph fastballs aren’t accurate and miss high constantly.

Pitching beats hitting in the CWS. Our arms are all far from dominant. 

You wanna guess the type of arms we had when we were winning it all?

Velocity isn’t everything. 89-91 with command is better than 94 straight as an arrow with no idea where it’s going.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don’t let Hansen’s last two outings cloud over what he did all year. We wouldn’t have sniffed hosting a regional without his heroic outings the second half of the season and conference tournament when we had zero bullpen help. All his home runs problems came in like 3 outings with the wind blowing straight out.

It’s not the walks. Tristan, Nixon, even Pete to a degree need to be able to pepper the edges of the zone to be effective. They haven’t been able to do that and have been forced to throw pitches in the zone to try to get outs. 

I’m not taking anything away from Hansen. He’s an all American this year, but he’s not close to as good as last season.