Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

33 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Jesus.  I'm sure the students enjoyed being paraded through broken glass and blood on the floor.  Insanity.

The price we pay for hunting.  Even though it’s 100% possible to still go hunting/target shooting and still not let psychopaths own assault rifles.  Weird huh?

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Literally moments before your post.....

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just remember, this is how things are because THIS IS HOW WE WANT THEM TO BE.

Not a bug.  A feature.

Id.

• Rage+1 1

This hurts. When I was a kid, we had tornado drills, not active shooter/lockdown drills. 

It hasn't always been like this. We elect grandstanding fools who make everything worse. 

After El Paso, Abbott promised change. His promised change was a big one, just in the opposite direction.... we are a sick, disgraceful culture.

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
pissed
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I don’t understand.  Wasn’t the new open carry law supposed to stop this kinda shit?  Y’all tough guys packing need to get down there and help out.  Maybe you’ll get mistaken for the school shooter but that’s a chance I’m willing to take. 

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I don’t understand.  Wasn’t the new open carry law supposed to stop this kinda shit?  Y’all tough guys packing need to get down there and help out.  Maybe you’ll get mistaken for the school shooter but that’s a chance I’m willing to take. 

Yeah, I mean damn the luck and what are the odds?  Bsed on the numbers, Texas has more "good guys with guns!" than anyplace else in the world, but goldurn it, none of em are around when you need em.  Just bad luck, I guess.

This is how we want it.  After Sandy Hook, after El Paso, our only meaningful action was to pass legislation, often on an emergency basis.....to provide more protection to guns, how and when you can carry a gun, and protecting gun manufacturers.  We went literally the 180 degree opposite direction of where any sane society would go.  Because.....broken record.....this is how we want it.

• Rage+1 3

Spin will be armed black thugs need to be stopped by responsible open carry gun owners.  Why texas men are hanging around high schools fully armed is apparently not an appropriate question at this time. 

fun fact though that I almost accidentally posted on DT thread like my first post there..:…wait till you hear about how he got the gun originally.  

10 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
29 minutes ago, TexArcher said:
Fuck the NRA and Fox News, vol. 461,234.

You may have issues with your narrative on this one.

Wut? I think the guns kill people and Fox News and the NRA actively aid those doing the killing is still pretty clear.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

Watching this play out on local and national stations is just bizarre to me. Millions of people buy millions of guns in order to use them. This is how we have decided to live.

Millions of people buy millions of guns and never commit a crime with one of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, I guess this is playing out differently than most school shootings in that the initial shooting was the result of a fight between two students and he then fled.  Typically it's either not a student at all, or a student who wants to stay, kill, and go out via suicide-by-cop. 

But they keep trying to temper emotions by saying it was not random, but he shot 3 other people randomly.  And they keep saying "He didn't come to the campus with the intent to harm as many people as possible like most school shooters."  He came with a handgun he was obviously proficient with, and he may have even had additional magazines based on the number of rounds fired already (initial reports, which are obviously hazy).  Doesn't bringing a loaded weapon to your school kinda indicate, you meant to do some big harm that day?  

This reporting is weird today.  

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Millions of people buy millions of guns and never commit a crime with one of them. 

Millions of people buy millions of lines of cocaine and never commit a crime with one of them. 

This shouldn't be our baseline for legality/illegality.  

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Millions of people don't die from marijuana overdoses or prostitutes or online poker or gay marriage, but those things have to be illegal, because the GOP said so, but they want less government intereference, and they want lots and lots of hand-held killing machines.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Yet might be the appropriate modifier here. The kid shooter wasn’t wanted before he decided to shoot up a classroom. More guns. More shootings. This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Millions of people don't die from marijuana overdoses or prostitutes or online poker or gay marriage, but those things have to be illegal, because the GOP said so, but they want less government intereference, and they want lots and lots of hand-held killing machines.

All those things should be legal (or are legal). 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

And there are places where millions of people CAN'T acquire a gun, except through rigorous processes, and they suffer from nearly zero gun crime.

To take a position that even hints that there is no meaningful correlation between the proliferation/ease of access to firearms and gun violence is nonsensical. And I say this as someone with a gun safe that 1) has multiple guns in it, but 2) only two of them are designed as an anti-personnel weapon, and they're both revolvers.  Gun culture in this country is utterly fucked up.  You and I both know it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This shouldn't be our baseline for legality/illegality.  

That's a different discussion.  I was responding to the notion that the following is in any way a compelling point.  "Millions of people buy millions of guns in order to use them. This is how we have decided to live."

• Hook 'Em 3

Media also consistently shows the same two video clips over and over again (presumably taken by student/staff phones) of the kids being led out of the building (and thank the Lord for that).  But they then bring up the same comment, "It's not clear yet whether or not the suspect got his weapon past metal detectors, if there are even are any."  The kids are walking straight through the fucking main entrance on the video......do you see any metal detectors jackass?!?!??!?!?!?     I guess maybe there's a wand security guy who remains a total fucking mystery at this point, but I doubt there two guys wanding 1900 students every morning.  We had one guy who wanded about 20 kids at my high school who had rap sheets, but you can't wand 2000 kids between 7:40-7:45am. 

Either there's a shitlist some kids are on and they get singled out, or there's permanent metal detectors like an airport.  And I don't see any on the videos. 

I'm guessing the kid brought the weapon to school for the very simple reason:  Because he could. 

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And there are places where millions of people CAN'T acquire a gun, except through rigorous processes, and they suffer from nearly zero gun crime.

To take a position that even hints that there is no meaningful correlation between the proliferation/ease of access to firearms and gun violence is nonsensical. And I say this as someone with a gun safe that 1) has multiple guns in it, but 2) only two of them are designed as an anti-personnel weapon, and they're both revolvers.  Gun culture in this country is utterly fucked up.  You and I both know it.

bill already addressed it...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Yet might be the appropriate modifier here. The kid shooter wasn’t wanted before he decided to shoot up a classroom. More guns. More shootings. This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. 

The evidence does not support that.  The homicide rate in schools has dropped to about 1/3 of what it was in the 90s.  This is an article, not from the NRA, but from NPR:

the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

Second, the overall number of gunshot victims at schools is also down. According to Fox's numbers, back in the 1992-93 school year, about 0.55 students per million were shot and killed; in 2014-15, that rate was closer to 0.15 per million.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That's a different discussion.  I was responding to the notion that the following is in any way a compelling point.  "Millions of people buy millions of guns in order to use them. This is how we have decided to live."

It’s compelling enough to the people who are victims of gun violence. Their numbers are added to daily.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

The evidence does not support that.  The homicide rate in schools has dropped to about 1/3 of what it was in the 90s.  This is an article, not from the NRA, but from NPR:

the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

That there are actually school homicide rates is the issue. Nobody is surprised that a kid addressed his beef with other kids with a gun. That is the culture we’ve created and continue to sanction.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

That there are actually school homicide rates is the issue. Nobody is surprised that a kid addressed his beef with other kids with a gun. That is the culture we’ve created and continue to sanction.

It has improved significantly in the last 30 years while there has been a massive proliferation of guns in American society.  Especially ones capable of killing a lot of people quickly.  30 years ago no one I knew had an AR 15 and very few had semi autos with 15-20 round capacities.  Yet schools are much safer now than they were when I was in high school in the 90s.  My response was to your assertion that more guns equals more shooters.  The data does not seem to support that at all.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

It has improved significantly in the last 30 years while there has been a massive proliferation of guns in American society.  Especially ones capable of killing a lot of people quickly.  30 years ago no one I knew had an AR 15 and very few had semi autos with 15-20 round capacities.  Yet schools are much safer now than they were when I was in high school in the 90s.  My response was to your assertion that more guns equals more shooters.  The data does not seem to support that at all.

Safer schools is a relative term. Five year olds know as much (if not more) about lockdowns and active shooter drills than they do anything else they’re exposed to during the school day. We’re getting them ready for the gun violent culture we’ve created for them.

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Safer schools is a relative term. Five year olds know as much (if not more) about lockdowns and active shooter drills than they do anything else they’re exposed to during the school day. We’re getting them ready for the gun violent culture we’ve created for them.

Which is a really stupid policy and does more harm than any good.  But idiots run public education.  

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread