Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

18 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Well. This broke me.

We must continue to live our lives. We can't allow people with guns to change that. Conditioning our youth to be flippant about shootings is the first step.

1 hour ago, Burt said:

We must continue to live our lives. We can't allow people with guns to change that. Conditioning our youth to be flippant about shootings is the first step.

Please tell me this is sarcasm - this is America, so unfortunately I have to ask ...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Flippant?  I'm going for a more impudent vibe in the youth today.  Forget teaching CRT, let them teach an overall insouciant approach to gun violence.   

Awhile back (I think she was still 5 at the time), my 6YO asked me about their active shooter drill at school, 

"Daddy, why would anybody should me and my friends at school?" 

I know I should have something more erudite and comforting to tell her, because this probably will not be the last time she asks me this question, but I replied simply,

"Because they can."  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Flippant?  I'm going for a more impudent vibe in the youth today.  Forget teaching CRT, let them teach an overall insouciant approach to gun violence.   

Awhile back (I think she was still 5 at the time), my 6YO asked me about their active shooter drill at school, 

"Daddy, why would anybody should me and my friends at school?" 

I know I should have something more erudite and comforting to tell her, because this probably will not be the last time she asks me this question, but I replied simply,

"Because they can."  

that's just sad. glad I don't have kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

Credit to the original reporter

When my children's eyes look at me and they ask me to explain
It hurts me that I have to look away
The powers that be are in for shame and comeuppance
When Generation Lockdown has their day
They'll throw the bums all out and drain the swamp for real
Perp walk them down the Capitol steps and show them how it feels
Tramp the dirt down, Jesus, you can pray the rod they'll spare
Stick it up your ass with your useless thoughts and prayers
Stick it up your ass with your useless thoughts and prayers

-Patterson Hood

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

There may well be additional information I'm not aware of, but I noticed this article earlier and thought this dude is getting bit of a raw deal. Shit, he turned himself in before going on a rampage, and still gets hit with attempted murder charge. He's mentally ill apparently with no previous record, just get the dude some help. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/05/us/oregon-school-custodian-arrest-mass-casualty-event/index.html

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

There may well be additional information I'm not aware of, but I noticed this article earlier and thought this dude is getting bit of a raw deal. Shit, he turned himself in before going on a rampage, and still gets hit with attempted murder charge. He's mentally ill apparently with no previous record, just get the dude some help. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/05/us/oregon-school-custodian-arrest-mass-casualty-event/index.html

yeah, doesn't sound like prison is the right place for him. then again, we have no mental health system in this country

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Methford.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

From the article:

While Clay was taken to the behavioral health unit of a hospital under protective custody -- where he would remain until his arrest Wednesday -- police obtained search warrants for three residences. Medford police said they discovered ammunition, firearms, tactical gear and written material that MPD Lt. Mike Budreau called "journals, if you will, or manifestos" during a Thursday afternoon news conference.

While it's quite possible the cops will go hard on him for the credit of stopping a mass killing, I'm guessing arrest was the only sure way to keep him from submitting to his homicidal thoughts. They didn't throw him into the slammer right away, so that's a positive sign.

My optimistic guess is they want to assure custody until a judge can rule on how to approach this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

From the article:

While it's quite possible the cops will go hard on him for the credit of stopping a mass killing, I'm guessing arrest was the only sure way to keep him from submitting to his homicidal thoughts. They didn't throw him into the slammer right away, so that's a positive sign.

My optimistic guess is they want to assure custody until a judge can rule on how to approach this. 

Perhaps. But does does he need an attempted murder charge? I don't pretend to be familiar with what charges are necessary to hold someone, but that seems extreme. They also have the weapons charges, which seem justified. 

I dont know, it just seems that every time we have one of these events, everyone wonders why these deranged individuals have to take it out on innocent people. This guy seemed to sense he was close to a breaking point, does the thing we wish ALL of these people would do, and ends up with an attempted murder charge. Seems harsh to me to me is all. Maybe it gets dropped after psych eval. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Perhaps. But does does he need an attempted murder charge? I don't pretend to be familiar with what charges are necessary to hold someone, but that seems extreme. They also have the weapons charges, which seem justified. 

I dont know, it just seems that every time we have one of these events, everyone wonders why these deranged individuals have to take it out on innocent people. This guy seemed to sense he was close to a breaking point, does the thing we wish ALL of these people would do, and ends up with an attempted murder charge. Seems harsh to me to me is all. Maybe it gets dropped after psych eval. 

I'm not a lawyer. I guess I see it as a charge is not a conviction. Maybe they chose the heaviest possible charges to ensure he remained in custody. 

I agree that the man did the right thing and deserves every consideration for that. He may also have realized that he needed to be locked up at least in the short term to keep from committing horrible crimes. You can't ask for more than that from a mentally ill person. 

Doctors will have to determine if he can medicated and/or treated to the extent he is no longer dangerous. With what little I know, I'd put him in the best facility possible as a reward for his wisdom in stopping his compulsion.

I'm guessing in his mind, it was like stopping someone else from killing people. Well done.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

w3tag65j4ci71.jpg

i made it rain once at an atlanta strip club. it truly was a cultural experience. that's all i really got.

this dude is clearly a anti government sovereign citizen type. i doubt he would have gone to that same atlanta strip club.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, why the Library of Congress, where all the beyond-valuable historic relics are?

In videos it’s clear he doesn’t know what the buildings are. In his mind he’s just on a random sidewalk. At one point he actually says “you can see a capitol there and another capitol over there”

Bunch of white guys are mad because of last Friday's big day  not working out? And so now they're going to take their little high school hive minds and go blow up things, shoot up the school, find some girl walking alone and harass her, or a homeless man, or a young black boy, just because they're not kings of the world anymore. 

Oh. My. God.

What a bunch of babies.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread