Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

49 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Well we’ve tried the “do nothing”approach for which you seem to be advocating and to everyone’s surprise it hasn’t worked that well.

https://hudsonheightsgazette.blogspot.com/2011/01/primer-on-problem-of-illegal-guns-in.html?m=1

Update:  On February 20, 2011 Jo Craven McGinty published an article in the N.Y. Times about gun ownership in New York City.  According to McGinty there are 37,000 licensed handgun owners in the five boroughs.  This represents only a fraction of the guns circulating in the City (i.e., most guns are not licensed.)  Check out his article The Rich, the Famous, the Armed. 

In 2010, the number of homicides in New York City was 23% higher than 2009 levels, up to 532 deaths.  In December 2010, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance summed up the problem:  easy access to illegal handguns, especially by young people.  While the number of murders in the 34th Precinct was up modestly from two in 2009 to four in 2010, other northern Manhattan precincts, particularly Harlem, had much bigger jumps.  This blog entry is an attempt to provide some basic background on the subject of illegal handguns in New York City, why the problem is likely to persist and why it is relevant for Hudson Heights. 

Yep, with 8,000,000 people living in NYC back in 2010 with only 37,000 people owning with a permit back then that makes about .4% of the population that legally able to carry if I did the math right. Unless you think .4% of the population is causing gun crime since no one can legally own a gun, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

• Fuck You 5

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

That's why New York with it's strict gun laws works so well.

You are literally too stupid to function, but here are some stats to show just how stupid you are. 

Here are the New York City homicide numbers. In 2020, there was a jump.  Up to 438 homicides.  There are 8.6M people that live in NYC.  

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downloads/pdf/analysis_and_planning/historical-crime-data/seven-major-felony-offenses-2000-2020.pdf

In 2020, Houston had 400 homicides. There are 2.3M people that live in Houston. 

That translates to 17.39 people murdered per 100k in Houston vs. 5 per 100k in NYC.  So, yeah, seems to working pretty well for NYC.  2021 is looking to trend better than 2020 for NYC.  And when you look at NYC homicide numbers in 2018 and 2019 (when things are booming economically), it is really ridiculously safe for as large of a city as it is.    

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

https://hudsonheightsgazette.blogspot.com/2011/01/primer-on-problem-of-illegal-guns-in.html?m=1

Yep, with 8,000,000 people living in NYC back in 2010 with only 37,000 people owning with a permit back then that makes about .4% of the population that legally able to carry if I did the math right. Unless you think .4% of the population is causing gun crime since no one can legally own a gun, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Posting an article from a Blog from 2011. Great source there.  Go back to Daily Texan.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You are literally too stupid to function, but here are some stats to show just how stupid you are. 

Here are the New York City homicide numbers. In 2020, there was a jump.  Up to 438 homicides.  There are 8.6M people that live in NYC.  

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downloads/pdf/analysis_and_planning/historical-crime-data/seven-major-felony-offenses-2000-2020.pdf

That translates to 17.39 people murdered per 100k in Houston vs. 5 per 100k in NYC.  So, yeah, seems to working pretty well for NYC.  2021 is looking to trend better than 2020 for NYC.  And when you look at NYC homicide numbers in 2018 and 2019 (when things are booming economically), it is really ridiculously safe for as large of a city as it is.    

workswithseed:

chevy-chase.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Satchel said:

Watching this play out on local and national stations is just bizarre to me. Millions of people buy millions of guns in order to use them. This is how we have decided to live.

it is isn't it? at what point do you think you throw in the towel? i mean i don't understand America at all. I don't understand my new Aussie home either, and it pisses me off for sure, but it doesn't involve a death pact far as I can tell. its slow and naive but it isn't anxiety raging and frantic like America. 

There is a Parent Reunification Point. Let that fucking sink in. Like all the other things you let sink in when you realise school shootings are part of the program. 

I tell my Aussie peeps - Australia usually does what is right, just slow AF and can't fully execute. America does what is wrong but goddamn we do it fast. Parent Reunification Point. Fucking hell

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Because I think that having an easily accessible portal to conduct background checks would promote the use of such a portal among gun owners broadly. It doesn't necessarily have to be free, low cost and efficient would suffice. Putting up unnecessary barriers to implementing that background check process is counter productive, unless the motivation behind the policy has something other to do than decreasing the transfer of firearms to people that should not legally be able to obtain them. 

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Agree on that.  But at least in concept it is a pretty straightforward database query. 

And what do you think about the privacy of people's personal information?  You think anyone could set up a public use database for private gun sales that would be secure enough to work? 

Hell,  our credit reporting companies can't even secure that data. 

There would have to be some real considerations of how people accessed that information. 

10 minutes ago, SKJ said:

And what do you think about the privacy of people's personal information?  You think anyone could set up a public use database for private gun sales that would be secure enough to work? 

There would have to be some real considerations of how people accessed that information. 

I find gun love confusing. Don’t we have millions of liberty loving gun worshippers who wear guns on their person because they want you to know they own guns?

12 minutes ago, SKJ said:

I think that it could be as simple as requiring the entry of certain information provided by the individual intended to acquire the firearm into the query tool, and having the tool spit out "This person is eligible to transfer a firearm to under federal law" or "This person is not eligible to transfer a firearm to under federal law".  No different than what the FFLs do every single day, just publicly accessible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Don’t we have millions of liberty loving gun worshippers who wear guns on their person because they want you to know they own guns?

Do you see millions of people wearing guns on their person?  I only see people open carrying when I am in very rural areas, and even in those settings it is extremely infrequent and typically during hunting season. By far the most common contingent of people that I see open carrying are law enforcement, outside of that it is extremely uncommon in day to day interaction with the real world.  

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Do you see millions of people wearing guns on their person?  I only see people open carrying when I am in very rural areas, and even in those settings it is extremely infrequent and typically during hunting season. 

Point being, we passed a law in Texas so that gun lovers could be legally out and proud. They ain’t trying to be discreet. FWIW,  it’s possible to encounter a gun nut proudly displaying his weaponry while prancing around the local Costco.

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Point being, you keep throwing around things like "millions of liberty loving gun worshippers who wear guns" that have no basis in the reality that we share. 

You don’t think there are millions of gun lovers who publicly and privately pack on a daily basis?

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Loss of second amendment protections, fear of being attacked by someone who has a gun illegally for 12 less homicides per 100,000? I don't even know if those are gun related homicides.

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

You don’t think there are millions of gun lovers who publicly and privately pack on a daily basis?

No, I don't think that there are millions of Americans open carrying on any given day.  But I have a good grasp of math. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Loss of second amendment protections, fear of being attacked by someone who has a gun illegally for 12 less homicides per 100,000? I don't even know if those are gun related homicides.

Goalposts, SHIFT!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

No, I don't think that there are millions of Americans open carrying on any given day.  But I have a good grasp of math. 

You answered a question that I didn’t ask. It may have something to do with your good grasp of math.

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

You answered a question that I didn’t ask. It may have something to do with your good grasp of math.

36 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I find gun love confusing. Don’t we have millions of liberty loving gun worshippers who wear guns on their person because they want you to know they own guns?

29 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Point being, we passed a law in Texas so that gun lovers could be legally out and proud. They ain’t trying to be discreet. FWIW,  it’s possible to encounter a gun nut proudly displaying his weaponry while prancing around the local Costco.

You framed this exchange around open carry.  But feel free to back pedal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Goalposts, SHIFT!

What, that it doesn't show what type of homicide it is, or that NYC has no rights to protection except if you're rich. Do you think my .4% of gun ownership even covers the middle class of New York? As to the blog numbers from ownership of guns, that number came from here. I couldn't find any new numbers of gun ownership. As to Houston, I can't find any number of gun ownership. I can't say to how many gun owners are in there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/nyregion/20guns.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=illegal guns&st=cse

Just now, Anastasis said:

Just now, Anastasis said:

The frame should have centered around my admitted confusion about gun love. It’s hard to be concerned about your [gun] privacy rights while supporting a law that allows you to publicly weigh yourself down with guns. Sometimes the question is more revealing than the answer.

What, that it doesn't show what type of homicide it is, or that NYC has no rights to protection except if you're rich. Do you think my .4% of gun ownership even covers the middle class of New York? As to the blog numbers from ownership of guns, that number came from here. I couldn't find any new numbers of gun ownership. As to Houston, I can't find any number of gun ownership. I can't say to how many gun owners are in there.
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/nyregion/20guns.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=illegal guns&st=cse

Just stop. Seriously. Quoting shit from 2011? Really???

2 hours ago, SKJ said:

How about a license to purchase firearms or ammo?  Confirm the license is up to date, sell away.  

FB post from a friend this evening. Her husband is a teacher/coach at Timberview. We played softball together in Arlington for more than a decade. Great guy.

From the spouse of a teacher…me
When your husband’s classroom is part of a crime scene, I feel I deserve to rant a little. Today’s shooting events had my emotions flying all over. Here’s an overview in no particular order….
—I was terrified when I heard the news that there was an active shooter and I knew no details but know (husband) works specifically with special Ed and troubled kids every day.
—I was relieved when I heard his voice, even for the seconds I was able to talk to him just to know he was alive.
—I was worried on how to tell my kids that their Dad was in a school shooting before they read about it elsewhere. (Of course I wasn’t the first to them)
—I was stressed and then thankful when I just walked away from my job without another thought and they didn’t bat an eye
—I was scared when I knew there were injuries and knew no details.
—I’m proud of how the school district, law enforcement and first responders handled today’s terrible events
—I was happy to hear the stories of how people were helping, including the special Ed foster kid who rarely speaks comforting others in his classroom
—I was proud of how Bub jumped into action and sat with his special needs kids who were so scared they literally passed out and he had to revive them by himself and make a makeshift toilet in his class because they couldn’t hold it.
—But most I mportantly, I am joyful. I am joyful that I get to hug my family and hold them tightly tonight. Thanks to a very important call from an associate principle, (husband) turned right into his classroom vs turning left and meeting the shooter head-on as he was fleeing. This was too close. Too close.
How can you help? Hug a teacher. Thank a teacher. Think twice before blaming the teacher instead of your kid. Quit saying, “well, at least they get summers off.” THEY NEED IT OFF. And for the love of God, give them a raise. This is NOT what they signed up for but this is what they do and is now sadly second nature to them.
And when I asked (husband) what he will remember the most about today , he said…”The Fear. The genuine fear all around him.”
Below is a picture of the kids I snapped while they were waiting for their Dad to come home. It doesn’t just effect the kids in the classrooms where it happened….

She said earlier the shooting happened in the classroom directly above his so they heard it all.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I think that it could be as simple as requiring the entry of certain information provided by the individual intended to acquire the firearm into the query tool, and having the tool spit out "This person is eligible to transfer a firearm to under federal law" or "This person is not eligible to transfer a firearm to under federal law".  No different than what the FFLs do every single day, just publicly accessible. 

Yeah,  but ffl's queries are to the FBI/ATF who take days to verify the request and the information. 

How would we have everybody's information on gun rights accessible to the public?  Instant information is most likely damaging to people's privacy. Could one access that information on someone who didn't even apply,  just so they could know the status on individuals? 

If someone could easily access the ability for someone to own a gun  what else would it take for anyone to just access that information?

Edited by SKJ

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

FB post from a friend this evening. Her husband is a teacher/coach at Timberview. We played softball together in Arlington for more than a decade. Great guy.

She said earlier the shooting happened in the classroom directly above his so they heard it all.

Well,  she seems a bit histrionic,  considering her husband's classroom isn't part of a fucking crime scene, unless the person shot through the fucking floor. 

Everyone is a fucking attention whore when they are crime scene adjacent. 

Not taking anything away from the students and that teacher who supposedly heard it all,  but for fucks sake with the fucking drama

• Fuck You 5

5 hours ago, SKJ said:

Yeah,  but ffl's queries are to the FBI/ATF who take days to verify the request and the information. 

Most NICS checks returnresults in a few minutes.

5 hours ago, SKJ said:

How would we have everybody's information on gun rights accessible to the public? 

As simple as making the NICS e-check portal accessible by the public. NICS is already subject to privacy regulations, so they would simply keep applying to the system. 

5 hours ago, SKJ said:

Could one access that information on someone who didn't even apply,  just so they could know the status on individuals? 

If someone could easily access the ability for someone to own a gun  what else would it take for anyone to just access that information?

There are lots of background check services available to the public that provide much much more private information than what the NICS e-check system would provide, or what a background check to facilitate a transfer would require generally.  If someone wants to run your shit, they can already do so with one of those many services. 

Edited by Anastasis

6 hours ago, SKJ said:

Well,  she seems a bit histrionic,  considering her husband's classroom isn't part of a fucking crime scene, unless the person shot through the fucking floor. 

Not taking anything away from the students and that teacher who supposedly heard it all,  but for fucks sake with the fucking drama

Well, that's certainly a... take?

8 hours ago, SKJ said:

Um, ok. Once you start hearing gun shots on your campus, or in your place of work, you have no idea if it's Parkland/Sandy Hook/EP WalMart. Also, very nearly coming in direct face-to-face contact with the shooter on his way out the door is pretty fucking harrowing. I'd give my friends a little slack here, especially when you hear of an active shooter at your spouse's school. That's pretty unnerving stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, SKJ said:

You must be an amazingly tough and brave woman.  Congrats.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Well, that's certainly a... take?

Yeah,  I get the negs, I really do. But people in a traumatic situation go into shock,  while people adjacent to it go into hysteria.  She is making statements that are just not real. 

The fear is real,  but the claims are not

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Um, ok. Once you start hearing gun shots on your campus, or in your place of work, you have no idea if it's Parkland/Sandy Hook/EP WalMart. Also, very nearly coming in direct face-to-face contact with the shooter on his way out the door is pretty fucking harrowing. I'd give my friends a little slack here, especially when you hear of an active shooter at your spouse's school. That's pretty unnerving stuff.

Yes,  that's true.  But her statements are over the top.  I'm not saying it's not a severely traumatizing event for those students and teachers there.  I wish we had better gun policy in the United States.  I would never want my kids to go through that. 

But she's still pouring it on thick

5 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

You must be an amazingly tough and brave woman.  Congrats.

I'm not a woman.  But I've been in several situations That are stressful like that and traumatic.  But it's always the people that weren't there that make these claims... it bothers me because they blast it to 20 and make these statements. Her husband's classroom wasn't a crime scene.  Yes it was harrowing for her husband and for those kids.  Yes it's really something that should never happen.  Yes it's horrible,  and yes we need to solve it. But no,  her husband's classroom was not a crime scene. 

I just get tired of the dramatics of those not even involved.  It's cheap,  and it takes away from the trauma of those who were there. 

1 minute ago, SKJ said:

Yeah,  I get the negs, I really do. But people in a traumatic situation go into shock,  while people adjacent to it go into hysteria.  She is making statements that are just not real. 

The fear is real,  but the claims are not

Yes,  that's true.  But her statements are over the top.  I'm not saying it's not a severely traumatizing event for those students and teachers there.  I wish we had better gun policy in the United States.  I would never want my kids to go through that. 

I'm not a woman.  But I've been in several situations That are stressful like that and traumatic.  But it's always the people that weren't there that make these claims... it bothers me because they blast it to 20 and make these statements. Her husband's classroom wasn't a crime scene.  Yes it was harrowing for her husband and for those kids.  Yes it's really something that should never happen.  Yes it's horrible,  and yes we need to solve it. But no,  her husband's classroom was not a crime scene. 

I just get tired of the dramatics of those not even involved.  It's cheap,  and it takes away from the trauma of those who were there. 

Look, I disagree with basically everything you've just posted. Her husband, the father of her children, had an active shooter situation on his campus. In real time, you don't know if it's Columbine or Parkland 2.0 -- or if it will turn out the way this one did, with nobody dead. His classroom wasn't the direct crime scene but it was close enough to where they heard the gunshots. I didn't include her picture of her kids basically holding onto each other in terror before they knew he wasn't directly involved. Perhaps that's over-sharing a bit on her part but I can only imagine the range of emotions they went through yesterday. She was rightly completely freaked out. I get it. And I'll allow it.

As she said, it has a wider-ranging effect than just on those who were on campus -- there are families at stake. I mean I guess if her husband had been shot and killed it didn't directly effect her or the kids since they weren't directly part of the crime scene? Give me a fucking break.

21 minutes ago, SKJ said:

They're real enough to her.

Why would you minimize her trauma?  

Your post actually takes away from the trauma of those who were there far more than someone who experienced the real trauma of fearing for her husband's safety.

TL/DR; what C-Man said.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

As she said, it has a wider-ranging effect than just on those who were on campus -- there are families at stake. I mean I guess if her husband had been shot and killed it didn't directly effect her or the kids since they weren't directly part of the crime scene? Give me a fucking break.

That's not what I'm saying at all.  

My opinion is my opinion.  That's it and that's all.  I get you disagree  and that's fine.  We don't have to agree. 

20 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Allow me to do 2018. 

“2018 'worst year for US school shootings'‘

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/business-46507514.amp

That article tells you nothing about the number of gun deaths in schools -- just that there were 113 gun injuries or deaths in 2018.  Nor how they track data compared to prior years.  The study I cited in the NPR article is peer-reviewed and cites the school homicide rate and how it has dwindled to less than a third of what it was 25-30 years ago.

But even if you count each one of those 113 gun injuries/deaths as deaths, that would still be a much lower rate than the 90s.

Also, LOL at Education Week -- the group tracking school shootings in that article.  I went to their website.  The first two articles:

You Can't Legislate Away Black and Gay Educators and Students

Students and teachers shouldn’t see their identity as a subject so taboo that the state must ban all references to it in schools.

Climate Change Is an Education Emergency
Extreme weather events are taking a toll on students.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You Can't Legislate Away Black and Gay Educators and Students

Students and teachers shouldn’t see their identity as a subject so taboo that the state must ban all references to it in schools.

Climate Change Is an Education Emergency
Extreme weather events are taking a toll on students.

While I sort of get your objection to these ideas, they don’t bother me as much as characterizing 2018 as the worst year, in terms of school shootings, ever, when it is not. But I will learn so for myself.

I’m curious if you would support stricter gun laws if school shootings, and not just homicides, were increasing?

6 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

While I sort of get your objection to these ideas, they don’t bother me as much as characterizing 2018 as the worst year, in terms of school shootings, ever, when it is not. But I will learn so for myself.

I’m curious if you would support stricter gun laws if school shootings, and not just homicides, were increasing?

My version of stricter gun laws would be ending the war on drugs and burying any asshole who commits a violent crime with a gun under the jailhouse for such a long sentence when they get out they would be too old to commit a crime.  That means George Floyd types who point a shotgun at a woman during a robbery never get to roam the streets until they are retirement age.  We would have plenty of prison space if we ended the war on drugs to warehouse violent people.  That's what I would do.  And it would actually work to significantly make our communities safer.

The random mass shootings that get so much attention result in a 100 to 150 deaths a year.  Nothing being proposed would put a dent in that.  100-150 deaths a year in a country of 330 million is just such a small amount.  I would focus on other causes of accidental or criminal deaths.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread