Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It has improved significantly in the last 30 years while there has been a massive proliferation of guns in American society.  Especially ones capable of killing a lot of people quickly.  30 years ago no one I knew had an AR 15 and very few had semi autos with 15-20 round capacities.  Yet schools are much safer now than they were when I was in high school in the 90s.  My response was to your assertion that more guns equals more shooters.  The data does not seem to support that at all.

30+ years ago, how many schools had metal detectors?  And why do so many have them now.

When I heard our local Kunty Karen speak two school board meetings ago and say, "We should do away with masks and air purifiers and use that time and money to add additional anti-shooting measures and drills.".........I just shrugged like, "Well, at least she didn't bring up creationism...so this is progress Austin." 

6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Safer schools is a relative term. Five year olds know as much (if not more) about lockdowns and active shooter drills than they do anything else they’re exposed to during the school day. We’re getting them ready for the gun violent culture we’ve created for them.

My daughter is in a college where most students are not American.  She observed last year that man, being raised in the American school system has her thinking way differently than her peers.  When she goes into a classroom, she checks it out for exits/escape routes, defilade, likely directions of fire, etc.  Her American peers nod their heads and say "yep, us too."  Her non-American peers ask "WTF?  Are you fucking kidding me?"

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Millions of people buy millions of guns and never commit a crime with one of them. 

Millions of people who buy millions of guns legally and never commit a crime with them probably could have also bought those guns on a longer timeline and with more rigorous background checks and safety policies in place. But instead we have gun show loopholes and people who can sell guns on craigslist. For the sake of convenience. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My daughter is in a college where most students are not American.  She observed last year that man, being raised in the American school system has her thinking way differently than her peers.  When she goes into a classroom, she checks it out for exits/escape routes, defilade, likely directions of fire, etc.  Her American peers nod their heads and say "yep, us too."  Her non-American peers ask "WTF?  Are you fucking kidding me?"

We prepare our children better for the real world than those other countries.

30 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Which is a really stupid policy and does more harm than any good.  But idiots run public education.  

What’s stupid about about preparing babies for the very real possibility that they could get shot at some point during the school day?

17 minutes ago, Satchel said:

What’s stupid about about preparing babies for the very real possibility that they could get shot at some point during the school day?

The odds of it happening are tiny -- like one in 7 million or so.  The psychological harm is real. No indication that any of this preparation would at all be effective.  It is a dumb policy instituted by dumb people.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The odds of it happening are tiny -- like one in 7 million or so.  The psychological harm is real. No indication that any of this preparation would at all be effective.  It is a dumb policy instituted by dumb people.

> be in thread covering frequent public shootings

> argue that preparing for public shootings is dumb

9000IQ moves from johnny private school

The odds of dying in a school shooting are very slim.  Just like the odds from dying of Covid-19.  Just like dying in a wood-chipper accident.  But people live in fear of all three.   Especially me with the wood chipper thing.  For reasons I can't get into right now.  

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Can’t imagine how the kids at Timberview felt upon realizing it was actually happening to them.

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Can’t imagine how the kids at Timberview felt upon realizing it was actually happening to them.

It would be nice if this would change the view of a lot of their parents, that our gun laws in this country, and especially Texas, are fucking ridiculous.  I absolutely do not understand why people bitch and moan about a waiting period to buy a gun or a universal background check.  What is it people like to say, if you have nothing to hide, don't worry about it?  

Just spoke with a friend who is a psychologist for Mansfield ISD. She shared the same story we always hear in these situations…kid was routinely bullied and jumped on…which has come to mean, go get a gun and take care of the situation yourself. That’s what a lot of adults do. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

it is interesting how this thread turned once the shooter was ID'd.  Travis from Mansfield would have been a whole different thread.

I know, it's crazy: Once the shooter was ID'd, I changed the way I think about things. I decided to join the NRA and get strapped.

Edited by TheRealRonWeaver?
  • Haha 1

Shooter is probably Haitian by the looks of him and more of his family is headed across our southern border.  Thankfully the Wall is bullet-proof.

Just spoke with a friend who is a psychologist for Mansfield ISD. She shared the same story we always hear in these situations…kid was routinely bullied and jumped on…which has come to mean, go get a gun and take care of the situation yourself. That’s what a lot of adults do. Ridiculous.

A shitty reaction for sure. But how our culture, and particularly schools, deal with bullying, is and has been a fucking problem.

Let an asshole keep pushing things, don’t be too shocked when the victim snaps.

4 minutes ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

I know, it's crazy: Once the shooter was ID'd, I changed the way I think about things. I decided to join the NRA and get strapped.

yes because all gun owners are members of the NRA and only do what the NRA says.

My father was the opposite.  Vehemently opposed to guns his whole adult life, despite being a veteran and an avid sportsman.  I trained on a rifle range with their guns 'n ammo, but otherwise no weapons in the house.  I found out after he died, going through his shit, that he had been an NRA member for years and got all these awards from them for his fundraising prowess.  It is still one of the bigger "What the Fuck" moments of my life.  

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Millions of people who buy millions of guns legally and never commit a crime with them probably could have also bought those guns on a longer timeline and with more rigorous background checks and safety policies in place. But instead we have gun show loopholes and people who can sell guns on craigslist. For the sake of convenience. 

I am not opposed to requiring background checks for private transfers, provided that there is a free and efficient mechanism in place for the private party to execute that check. 

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am not opposed to requiring background checks for private transfers, provided that there is a free and efficient mechanism in place for the private party to execute that check. 

Why should it be free?   When I buy/sell a car or a house the gubmint knows all about it and even takes a cut.   Why should gun ownership be different?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Why should it be free?   When I buy/sell a car or a house the gubmint knows all about it and even takes a cut.   Why should gun ownership be different?

Because I think that having an easily accessible portal to conduct background checks would promote the use of such a portal among gun owners broadly. It doesn't necessarily have to be free, low cost and efficient would suffice. Putting up unnecessary barriers to implementing that background check process is counter productive, unless the motivation behind the policy has something other to do than decreasing the transfer of firearms to people that should not legally be able to obtain them. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Because I think that having an easily accessible portal to conduct background checks would promote the use of such a portal among gun owners broadly. It doesn't necessarily have to be free, low cost and efficient would suffice. Putting up unnecessary barriers to implementing that background check process is counter productive, unless the motivation behind the policy has something other to do than decreasing the transfer of firearms to people that should not legally be able to obtain them. 

Ok, I can go with low cost.  But efficient?   What makes you think the government can do that?   🤣

• Haha 1

While I’m not opposed to gun regulations, this is a whole of society problem.

I think it’s safe to assume most mass shooters are, on some level suicidal, and approximately half of gun violence deaths in the US are suicides. Given this information, perhaps we should examine why so many of our fellow citizens are falling victim to despair and suicide/homicide... or maybe we don’t want to do that because then bigger changes than gun control would be required... you know things that might cut into “productivity” and “profits.” 

Thoughts and prayers, best we can do.

• Hook 'Em 2

When someone picks one particular data point as a comparison for something that is very noisy like school shootings, you have to wonder if it's an outlier. And turns out it very well might be.

https://www.k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states

There's a reason that most statistical analyses like this choose some multi-year moving average to show trends.

Man.  As a society, I just can't figure out where we're falling short.  Is it the thoughts?  Or the prayers?
A high school friend of mine is a choir director at one of the high schools (not this one) in Mamsfield ISD. So many people were offering thoughts and prayers on Facebook. I might have responded with this....

"Instead of praying, vote out the politicians at the local, state, and federal level that refuse to enact meaningful rules to curb gun violence in this country or address the mental illness crisis this country is facing.

That is the only way this will get better."

Yeah, dropping truth not that it will make a damn bit of difference.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

A high school friend of mine is a choir director at one of the high schools (not this one) in Mamsfield ISD. So many people were offering thoughts and prayers on Facebook. I might have responded with this....

"Instead of praying, vote out the politicians at the local, state, and federal level that refuse to enact meaningful rules to curb gun violence in this country or address the mental illness crisis this country is facing.

I was noticing a thread on a forum where conservative males were commenting upon suburban women voters. They had all sorts of explanations (for the suburban women voting trend), but I'm not sure they ever touched upon this one. Moms Demand has a chapter in every state and is growing.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

I’ve always been taught to pray about it and be about it…to pray and do. The whole reflexive thoughts and prayers reaction is empty gesturing. 

Yep.  I PRAY that more people will figure this shit out and start voting the bums out.  And I THINK that I'm gonna do shit about it, like actively contribute to and work for campaigns to do just that.

"Faith without works is dead."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Man.  As a society, I just can't figure out where we're falling short.  Is it the thoughts?  Or the prayers?

Considering they're thoughts from the thoughtless and prayers / pietism from the posturing.....

I Want It All GIF by Awkward Daytime TV

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  I PRAY that more people will figure this shit out and start voting the bums out.  And I THINK that I'm gonna do shit about it, like actively contribute to and work for campaigns to do just that.

"Faith without works is dead."

Amen.

22 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That's why New York with it's strict gun laws works so well.

• Fuck You 5

New York, per capita, actually does "okay" for a big city in terms of gun violence.  Or are you talking about the whole state?  

Remember that 17 of the 25 deadliest cities for gun violence in this nation are in states run by Republican Governors.  Almost 70%, per capita obviously---not gross shooting deaths.  You can blame mayors if you want, but remember how federalism works.  State gun laws supersede municipal gun laws.  White people shoot white people, too. 

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

it is interesting how this thread turned once the shooter was ID'd.  Travis from Mansfield would have been a whole different thread.

It’s interesting how you say this like it’s an accurate observation of something that happened and not just something you imagined.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread