Need help traveling

Bogeywon

So I didn’t see a thread like this so I figured I’d take a shot. If you need to delete thread shoot user. Anyway, it’s the wife and my 10 year anniversary in august and we’ve been to Mexico Las Vegas Florida and Chicago. We live in michigan and I want to take her somewhere we haven’t been. Is Maine cool? We want somewhere with good food and some stuff to do whether it’s shopping or museums historical stuff ect. Washington seems cool with the historical stuff as well as the National Holocaust Museum. We can’t afford to do anything super glamorous but I’m open to just about anything. 

4 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

We live in michigan and I want to take her somewhere we haven’t been.

Have you tried the kitchen?

Vegas - Shows.  Excellent restaurants. Pools full of douches isn't my thing but the half dressed girls is nice. Gambling if that's your thing.  Or golf

Chicago - probably the best mix of entertainment, food, museums, sports etc in the US. 

Florida - despite the reputation I still enjoy Florida and which coast or town you choose can be 180 difference.

Edited by midtown

Does it have to be in the US?

I'd recommend the Azores.  4 hr flight from Boston and you can get cheap deals that include Boston to Azores flights plus the hotel for pretty cheap.  Azoresgetaways.com is one I've seen.

https://azoresgetaways.com/en-us/deals/detail/code/us_pdl_fh?origin=BOS&numberOfNights=6&ref=Deals+Search+Results

Here's one for example...$779/pp includes flight + hotel + tour of a Gin distillery.  Just have to get to Boston.

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Was gonna hit Montreal but Covid BS still serious in Canada.  Random tests.  Have to show them quarantine plan etc.  

Nope.  That's all gone as of ~2 weeks ago.  Was just in Montreal for the F1 race.  Montreal is a fun city.  

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Nope.  That's all gone as of ~2 weeks ago.  Was just in Montreal for the F1 race.  Montreal is a fun city.  

Our Amex rep just said several people got stuck w what they thought were false positives.  Love Montreal.  Maybe I’ll risk it. 

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Our Amex rep just said several people got stuck w what they thought were false positives.  Love Montreal.  Maybe I’ll risk it. 

You don't have to test at all anymore.  Just prove you're vaccinated and you're good to go.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Summer has been great so far.  The crime staying in the hood.  Day drinking in Chicago is the absolute best.  Did nyc last weekend and Hamptons too.  Chicago still wins.  

I haven't been to NY since covid. Has it fallen a bit since then? And - do you think Chicago maybe avoided a bit of that? 

If you guys haven't been to NYC that's probably the move, Bogey. It's an entirely different experience than Chicago but it's a must visit. I know it's much more expensive - maybe go AirBnB hunting? Toronto is cool and you can drive but imo it's a somewhat distant 3rd behind NYC and Chicago. Also Delta has some seasonal direct flights to a couple of Caribbean stops from DTW. I believe one in DR and one in Jamaica. I like the Charleston idea. We thought Savannah was awesome. Delta offers seasonal directs from DTW to at least Savannah. Another idea - Asheville? I've never been but the Smokies in that area are beautiful. 

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

We were supposed to hit Quebec City first, but Air Canada made sure to fuck that up for us.  Worst airline I've ever flown and it's not close.

Montreal and Quebec City are both great, but I don't speak a lick of French.  Folks in Montreal seem to be less accepting of Anglophones than those in Quebec City.  Sometimes militantly so.

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Montreal and Quebec City are both great, but I don't speak a lick of French.  Folks in Montreal seem to be less accepting of Anglophones than those in Quebec City.  Sometimes militantly so.

We didn't run into any problems in Montreal with English, although I heard the same thing before our trip.  I don't speak any French, either.  

1 minute ago, midtown said:
1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:
Anywhere other than Chicago.  Ask [mention=2289]ChiTownDoc[/mention] about downtown nightlife in Chicago lately.

My 15 and 12 year old managed to stay alive downtown Chicago.

But did they get their watch and car stolen, though?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, midtown said:
Anywhere other than Chicago.  Ask [mention=2289]ChiTownDoc[/mention] about downtown nightlife in Chicago lately.

My 15 and 12 year old managed to stay alive downtown Chicago.

I get it, but the Miracle Mile and such has lost its luster with all of the armed guards and needing to ask permission to enter the stores.  Just not the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

I spent a week in Quebec City and don't speak French and had no problems.  I've also been to Montreal with no issues, but one of the friends I was with on that trip is from France

Go to NYC. See a few shows. Visit a few museums. Eat at a few great restaurants. 

Can do the same in Chicago and Toronto but both are imo too close to you. Maine is awesome if you want to rent a cabin on the water and do day hikes but being in Michigan you have those opportunities easily.

I’d avoid California at the moment if you’re trying to save money. 

DC is not expensive at all for a city - most attractions are free and great food is cheaper than most any major city.  But it SICKS in august due to heat and humidity as you might as well be in Orlando. 

I'd go to DC if y'all haven't been.  More things to do than you would have time to do.  Not more expensive than any other major city.  Flight options to Reagan National, Baltimore, or Dulles allows you to shop flights.  You can get around easily with the metro.

You couldn't pay me to go to New Orleans in August or Florida for that matter.

Edited by Jerry Callo

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Summer has been great so far.  The crime staying in the hood.  Day drinking in Chicago is the absolute best.  Did nyc last weekend and Hamptons too.  Chicago still wins.  

Summers in Chicago are so badass I had loved my 3 summers there and I don't have Chitowndoc money but also have lower standards than most here

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

So I didn’t see a thread like this so I figured I’d take a shot. If you need to delete thread shoot user. Anyway, it’s the wife and my 10 year anniversary in august and we’ve been to Mexico Las Vegas Florida and Chicago. We live in michigan and I want to take her somewhere we haven’t been. Is Maine cool? We want somewhere with good food and some stuff to do whether it’s shopping or museums historical stuff ect. Washington seems cool with the historical stuff as well as the National Holocaust Museum. We can’t afford to do anything super glamorous but I’m open to just about anything. 

There are multiple DC threads, will circle back tomorrow and drop them in. 

TL:Dr: DC hotels and food are expensive, but the museums are free. Fly into DCA, take the metro to your downtown hotel,  do the mall museums and monuments, walk the mall at night, ??????, profit.

Holocaust is awesome, but intense. Do not be surprised if you end up publically crying at some point.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Summers in Chicago are so badass I had loved my 3 summers there and I don't have Chitowndoc money but also have lower standards than most here

Ive said it many times - my summers here as a poor resident were the absolute best.  I still say best summer city in the country, for the rich, poor and everything between.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I haven't been to NY since covid. Has it fallen a bit since then? And - do you think Chicago maybe avoided a bit of that? 

NYC didn’t really come back until recently.  Bigger dip than Chicago imo.  But both cities great right now.  

1 hour ago, bar said:

I like using google flights explore to find cheap flights

https://www.google.com/travel/explore?tfs=CBwQAxoaagwIAhIIL20vMDJkdGcSCjIwMjItMDctMTQaGhIKMjAyMi0wNy0xOHIMCAISCC9tLzAyZHRncAKCAQQIBxACQAFIAZgBAQ&tfu=GgA&tcfs=ChMKCC9tLzAyZHRnGgdEZXRyb2l0UgRgAXgB

1. Go to Cali

2. Rent a convertible and drive the pch

3. Get road head 

4. Profit

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I get it, but the Miracle Mile and such has lost its luster with all of the armed guards and needing to ask permission to enter the stores.  Just not the same.

My kids and I exude class and wealth.  Doors open for us.  My 12 year old daughter dresses like a homeless person so people assume she's a tiktok billionaire

12 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

There are multiple DC threads, will circle back tomorrow and drop them in. 

TL:Dr: DC hotels and food are expensive, but the museums are free. Fly into DCA, take the metro to your downtown hotel,  do the mall museums and monuments, walk the mall at night, ??????, profit.

Holocaust is awesome, but intense. Do not be surprised if you end up publically crying at some point.

I think we are going to DC. The Holocaust museum in my state in small but moved me to tears. I read to and watch a lot of stuff about the Holocaust. I’ve wanted to go for the DC one for years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I think we are going to DC. The Holocaust museum in my state in small but moved me to tears. I read to and watch a lot of stuff about the Holocaust. I’ve wanted to go for the DC one for years.

If you do head back to Chicago, there's a Holocaust museum just outside the city in Skokie, which I think is at least as good as the one in DC.