The destruction of America's public education system

Captainant

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

SpEd is already fucked in Texas. Services are capped at 8% of students when it is estimated 12% of all students need some type of SpEd service.

Abbott’s hisd chief is steadily screwing over SpEd 

So as best I can tell, Yass donates to foundations to get a charitable tax write-off and then the foundations, including Susquehanna Foundation,  contribute to private school initiatives and causes.  Jeff also owns a couple of businesses like  Susquehanna Financial Group (SFG): SIG's institutional broker-dealer business, which provides order execution and trading flow services, and equity research coverage of nearly 200 companies and  Susquehanna Structured Capital: Structured capital group that provides debt and structured equity investments to middle and lower-middle market companies as well as commercial and multi-family real estate projects.

I'd bet (and it makes sense to use that term since he used to be a professional gambler) that the Structured capital group has a stake in several for profit school curriculum and online class delivery companies that would profit from the allocation of tax dollars to private school vouchers.

I don't know shit about shit, but feel like the voucher thing could be the final straw that swings the state blue.

Spare me the "It's about time" sermons.  This is just pure bullshit though.  If we as a society decide to just leave them behind, then why fund any of it?  We (some) don't care about the betterment of our youth any more.  We(some) are just here to get ours... and "Fuck those brown people." 

It makes me ragey.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don't know shit about shit, but feel like the voucher thing could be the final straw that swings the state blue.

Spare me the "It's about time" sermons.  This is just pure bullshit though.  If we as a society decide to just leave them behind, then why fund any of it?  We (some) don't care about the betterment of our youth any more.  We(some) are just here to get ours... and "Fuck those brown people." 

It makes me ragey.

I disagree.  This state is Forever Red.  There's not one goddamned thing that will change that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

22 minutes ago, slorch said:

It makes me ragey.

IMG_0792.gif

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I disagree.  This state is Forever Red. 

I agree. The dilution of quality education as a whole does not favor democratic ideas and when combined with a shrinking 'white' population (the population that benefits in greater number from a voucher system) IMO it leads to a gerrymandered apartheid that favors the GOP. When combined with the opportunity to grift tax dollars and the varying ways to circumvent accountability, it's going to get a lot worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't even understand what the articulated value of the voucher system is supposed to be hypothetically, much less practically. All I can see is a lose/lose-- public schools get worse and undesirable and they already suck, and private schools get worse and undesirable while simultaneously getting more expensive to bake in the "free money" grab, more than likely.

• Like 1

Abbott & Co. must own or have stakes in large, profitable private schools or the private schooling industry somehow. That's the only explanation upon re-reading my last post. It must be self-serving grift.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I disagree.  This state is Forever Red.  There's not one goddamned thing that will change that. 

Rural communities hate the idea of school vouchers. If there is one issue that Dems could use to break through and gain voters in those communities, this is it. And it aligns perfectly with universal Democratic values, so it's really the perfect issue to campaign on. Given how competent the Texas Democratic party is, I'm sure they'll figure this out.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Rural communities hate the idea of voucher schools. If there is one issue that Dems could use to break through and gain voters in those communities, this is it. And it aligns perfectly with universal Democratic values, so it's really the perfect issue to campaign on. Given how competent the Texas Democratic party is, I'm sure they'll figure this out.

As long as there is a border with Browns on the other side to demonize and the Muh Guns crowd votes, I don't see it happening.  Guns and racism are exponentially more important to them than education. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

As long as there is a border with Browns on the other side to demonize and the Muh Guns crowd votes, I don't see it happening.  Guns and racism are exponentially more important to them than education. 

This.  They could agree on EVERY SINGLE substantive policy point.....but then they'll vomit out the same old "but....I can't vote for communistgungrabbersDEIcriticalracetheory!  So I gotta vote Republican!"

Policies don't matter.  Facts don't matter.  Issues don't matter.  It's 100% tribal at this point.  Rural Texas has chosen its tribe, and they will not betray it.  The price for betrayal is too high -- shunning, anger, even violence.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

In a small town, the school IS the community.  It is everything.  When the schools die, the town does too.  Also, once you get west of a line roughly following 281 north to south, whites are not the majority race in many, many communities.

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

In a small town, the school IS the community.  It is everything.  When the schools die, the town does too.

You must have missed the part about GQP voters consistently, with little to no deviation, voting against their plain and obvious interests.  These are people who would vote for the party that promises to burn their town to the ground in order to deny housing to one dirty immigrant, and cheer while it happens.

Just now, slorch said:

In a small town, the school IS the community.  It is everything.  When the schools die, the town does too.

I believe this to be accurate, but I still think when they walk into a voting booth, and their choice is to vote for someone w/ a D next to their name vs. someone w/ an R next to their name, the rurals will absolutely continue to choose R. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Most Republicans I know would burn their own house to the ground if it also meant harm for someone they view as an "other."

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  They could agree on EVERY SINGLE substantive policy point.....but then they'll vomit out the same old "but....I can't vote for communistgungrabbersDEIcriticalracetheory!  So I gotta vote Republican!"

Policies don't matter.  Facts don't matter.  Issues don't matter.  It's 100% tribal at this point.  Rural Texas has chosen its tribe, and they will not betray it.  The price for betrayal is too high -- shunning, anger, even violence.

We had the perfect test case.  We literally murdered their children and Uvalde supported the GOP in record numbers.  How much worse can it possibly get before they vote DEM?  

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Abbott & Co. must own or have stakes in large, profitable private schools or the private schooling industry somehow. That's the only explanation upon re-reading my last post. It must be self-serving grift.

Greg received a $6 million check from a voucher guy, and Greg even boasted about the donation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In Oklahoma, the rural legislators who dominate the vote on stupid shit like guns and profiling actually refused to approve Gov. Stitt's proposed voucher plan because of the obvious, they don't have private schools and there would be no benefit to their constituents.  They did pass a tax credit that is basically a voucher, but it's not direct funding from the education budget, so city folk are "better off" while the rural folks in theory aren't harmed. Of course, many have already pointed out that private schools raised their tuition immediately, so it's money that would otherwise to into the tax coffers going directly to private schools. It's still completely illogical. There might be a dozen people in the state that would choose private school because of the tax credit, and even they will figure out quickly the raise in tuition offsets the way they thought it might work out for them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I believe this to be accurate, but I still think when they walk into a voting booth, and their choice is to vote for someone w/ a D next to their name vs. someone w/ an R next to their name, the rurals will absolutely continue to choose R. 

Yup, @slorch is right about small towns being centered on these schools. If/when the voucher system is passed then you'll see rural schools with less money but they'll still have football so what will it matter if they have to use outdated textbooks or the schools cycle through terrible teachers because they pay $40,000/year?

Edited by SimonBolivar

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

In Oklahoma, the rural legislators who dominate the vote on stupid shit like guns and profiling actually refused to approve Gov. Stitt's proposed voucher plan because of the obvious, they don't have private schools and there would be no benefit to their constituents.  They did pass a tax credit that is basically a voucher, but it's not direct funding from the education budget, so city folk are "better off" while the rural folks in theory aren't harmed. Of course, many have already pointed out that private schools raised their tuition immediately, so it's money that would otherwise to into the tax coffers going directly to private schools. It's still completely illogical. There might be a dozen people in the state that would choose private school because of the tax credit, and even they will figure out quickly the raise in tuition offsets the way they thought it might work out for them.

What you described is exactly how anyone with a brain sees this playing out in Texas.

I'm with slorch on this one, this is egregious and naked grift by Abbott. 

Curious if abbott and yass just figure out it’s easier to buy those voucher votes or, people get a nice sized check for ‘home schooling’ their kids 

texas gop has already ran off small town hospitals, public schools are next 

Good luck hoping the rurals will see this for what it is. Wall St spent 20 years moving every blue collar job overseas, dismantling unions, and slashing regulations. Then the Wall St. fat cats took to the podium and blamed it all on Democratic Globalists and told the working class that they're the only people looking out for them. And they bought it.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yup, @slorch is right about small towns being centered on these schools. If/when the voucher system is passed then you'll see rural schools with less money but they'll still have football so what will it matter if they have to use outdated textbooks or the schools cycle through terrible teachers because they pay $40,000/year?

I guarantee you that the proposal will be to take even more money via Robin Hood and send to the rural districts.  Keep those voters happy and fuck the cities.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

Billionaires have stakes in them Abbott is just a pawn for their agenda.

It is very obvious how broken the public school system is, how underfunded the SPED programs are, and how the TEA is purposely fucking over HISD, the teachers, students, and anyone who sees education as something beyond a daycare.   The quality of some my my son's middle school teachers is appalling.   That they hire people with no education background is harmful to the students.  

My son has an Art class where most of the kids play computer games and watch youtube.  The teacher claims the access to computers in Art is for their benefit.  If they can just watch youtube to learn now to draw then why the fuck does she have a job?  Just sluff this off on a PE teacher?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

billionaires want to pay zero taxes  

And have uneducated wage slaves to be worker bees for them.  Have to have an uneducated working class that will take their assfucking not just peacefully, but cheering and voting for more of it.

Poor rural whites think their fucking comes from powerless brown people who are happy to show up and do shit jobs that poor rural whites were NEVER willing to do (working all day for pennies at the chicken processing plant used to be for "the colored folks."  Now, it's for the dirty beaners).  They have a massive blind spot for where the ACTUAL fucking is coming from....and they actively support and gleefully vote for the primary champions of the "fuck these poor people" agenda.  Because the GQP distracts them by blaming brown people for all of their woes.

It's fucking suicide, with a smile.  Expecting that to change is folly.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

Greg received a $6 million check from a voucher guy, and Greg even boasted about the donation.

How long until he tries to call another special session? Or does he instead go after his opponents in the legislature rather than risk being humiliated again?

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And have uneducated wage slaves to be worker bees for them.  Have to have an uneducated working class that will take their assfucking not just peacefully, but cheering and voting for more of it.

Poor rural whites think their fucking comes from powerless brown people who are happy to show up and do shit jobs that poor rural whites were NEVER willing to do (working all day for pennies at the chicken processing plant used to be for "the colored folks."  Now, it's for the dirty beaners).  They have a massive blind spot for where the ACTUAL fucking is coming from....and they actively support and gleefully vote for the primary champions of the "fuck these poor people" agenda.  Because the GQP distracts them by blaming brown people for all of their woes.

A picture worth a thousand words - too bad the Babylon Bee crowd just doesn't get it ...

qtuqzy10r8g61.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Additionally, the grift continues with the prison pipeline because funneling any excess population into private incarceration reaps yet more dollars. Removing mobility of the lower classes of all demographics, women of all demographics, and anyone who is not connected enough politically to acquire more of increasingly scarce resources (land, careers, healthcare, food, opportunities, etc) increases the competitive gap (no upstart immigrant or poor person to become the next Carnegie or Musk). It also increases the desperation of the populace at large. Having a scapegoat is a useful political tool, but even a tool can harm those who abuse it. The oppressors become the oppressed. And the pale blue dot keeps on turning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, slorch said:

It makes me ragey.

Oh no. Some Antifa globalists hacked slorch’s account and are posting woke talking points!

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Haha 6

58 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

billionaires want to pay zero taxes  

But control everything.   I posted about Yass in the Abbott thread and I've always wondered the marginal pleasure gained from making money after you've made your first billion.  But then I look at Soros v. Yass and think financial titans who duke it out like gods on Olympus fighting over helping humankind or using them for entertainment purpose.  Much as in the brothers in Trading Places.   

Soros is demonized, but why isn't Yass?  I think of the Pace picante sauce commercials from decades back "New York City?!?!"  How dare Yankees pretend to know anything about hot sauce?   But Abbott can take $$ from some guy in Penn, because he knows what's best for Texas schoolchildren?    

But then we live in a time when the Texas Roadhouse originated in Indiana.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You must have missed the part about GQP voters consistently, with little to no deviation, voting against their plain and obvious interests.  These are people who would vote for the party that promises to burn their town to the ground in order to deny housing to one dirty immigrant, and cheer while it happens.

You mean economic or educational interests.  They don’t value these remotely as high as their psychological/emotional interests.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

You mean economic or educational interests.  They don’t value these remotely as high as their psychological/emotional interests.

Correct.  And those psychological/emotional interests are fake interests - they have no bearing on the actual quality of their actual lives.  It's not even bread and circuses.  It's just circuses.

CARAVAN!  DEI!  WOKE!  COMMUNIST ANTIFA!  Not a single one of those issues negatively effects Cletus H. Dipshit in Possum Piss, Texas.  But Cletus will continue to vote for the party that will fuck over his kids' school, leave his state roads a mess so that he busts a rim on his new heavily financed F-250, which he has to drive for 20 miles each way to reach a decent store because the regional Wal-Mart drove out all the small stores, all while he bitches about it over internet infrastructure that the Dems helped get installed in the Greater Possum Piss area and blames it all on OBAMA AND BIDEN AND SOROS!

We should build a fucking wall around Possum Piss and leave those people to rot in the bucket of shit that they've chosen.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Well reasoned, but I doubt these issues are “fake”.  They are as real as our commitment to all things UT football.  We would tolerate fewer shenanigans, for a while, but the commitment would not be broken.  

It is commitment to the Cowboys that is fake.

3 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Well reasoned, but I doubt these issues are “fake”.  They are as real as our commitment to all things UT football.  We would tolerate fewer shenanigans, for a while, but the commitment would not be broken.  

It is commitment to the Cowboys that is fake.

I mean...maybe we're splitting hairs here, but even rabid fandom runs up against reality.  "Hey Fan X, would you rather your favorite college football team win a title next year, or would you prefer to earn a good living instead of a shitty one, have decent healthcare for your sick kid instead of being 25 miles from the nearest doctor, and have your kids go to an actual school where they can be educated and develop life skills instead of a glorified prison box condemning them to lives of being a Wal-Mart shelf stocker?"  First, there absolutely ARE people who would choose "gotdamn, gimme that title, ROLL TIDE!"  I suspect that the overlay of those people on the "Trump voter" circle is near 100%.  But in the end, there likely aren't even that many, as a percentage.

My strong hypothesis is that college football team "tribal loyalties" pale in comparison to this modern GQP cult tribal loyalty.

Something interesting in Possum Piss is the decline of the denominational churches (Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian) and the rise of Cowboy churches.  The Pentecostals (at least in east Texas) are one of the very few denominations growing.    How many of you have seen Branded for Jesus Church north of Huntsville on 45?   No real theory here, just an observation.