Solo: A Star Wars Story

Chewy's Hairy Horn

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Disney is not shitting themselves over Solo bombing, as IX should make up for it. 

Disney is shitting themselves over the idea that they have 1-2 Star Wars TV series planned to help launch their paid Disney-only streaming service (they own a chunk of Hulu) with Kathleen Kennedy in charge. 

9 should do huge numbers, but what then?  That's what Disney is shitting themselves about..... We just took arguably the franchise's favorite character and Kennedy delivered a giant bust.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

9 should do huge numbers, but what then?  That's what Disney is shitting themselves about..... We just took arguably the franchise's favorite character and Kennedy delivered a giant bust.

9 will probably come close to 7.  Too many people will go just to see how things end  

If the TV  show(s) bomb, it could take down their new streaming service, and Disney is betting a massive amount on that service, more than any single movie. 

30 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Seems like one of the prevailing views is “It wasn’t great but I liked it.”

That's my view because I have a pretty high standard to call something "great."  Solo was fun and entertaining and I liked it.  I'll likely see it again, and if they made a sequel I'd likely enjoy that, too.

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

We don’t need a Boba Fett movie. Lucas butchered the character with the prequels.

Any Kenobi movie better have McGregor or its gonna do way worse than Solo. He’s the logical person to do it IMO.

1234.  He’s the right age for Kenobi as well being one of the few highlights from the prequels. 

Plua he will pull plenty of women in. 

On 6/2/2018 at 8:49 AM, Macanudo said:

Couple of my beefs...

1.  The Kessel Run.  weren't we told SW that he did it because of his superior navigation ability?   not some downloaded computer.   and Lando is the only one with this star map?

2.  Lady Proxima.   stupid just like Jabba.  super criminals that can't defend themselves. seem like aliens like that would be pretty easy to kill.  Han almost did in Solo by throwing a rock?

3. The Rebel leader.    Yep.   we have to cater to everyone so let's make it a girl.   and something ethnic at that.  Nevermind that she fought Beckett on the train like she was older and bigger.   Nah...  those are just plot holes that don't matter.

Overall I enjoyed it.  took the hooligans to a matinee and we walked out liking it.    but someone said above..   if this wasn't a SW movie it would be panned and tremendously so.   and I'm about sick of the crossover Nissan ads.

I actually believed the M. Falcon was like a hot rod, fast as shit when it wasn't broken. 

I thought the fight where Qira saves Han from Paul was stupid.   The women rebel heroes is getting tiring as they are not believeable.  Hera and Ashoka are believable and they are cartoons.   They do shit that seems within their capabilities within the cartoons.   The movies turn Qira from a helpless girl into a badass hand-to-hand fighter with a deft political mind while Han learns to not get eaten by a Wookie in that time.   Also I don't recall women at cannon fodder, but I could have missed it.    

You have to love the Nissan ads.  When I see the woman need a computer to help her pass two trucks and stay within her own lane only to feel successful and proud I laugh my ass off. 

On 6/4/2018 at 11:04 PM, Nivek said:

I actually believed the M. Falcon was like a hot rod, fast as shit when it wasn't broken. 

I thought the fight where Qira saves Han from Paul was stupid.   The women rebel heroes is getting tiring as they are not believeable.  Hera and Ashoka are believable and they are cartoons.   They do shit that seems within their capabilities within the cartoons.   The movies turn Qira from a helpless girl into a badass hand-to-hand fighter with a deft political mind while Han learns to not get eaten by a Wookie in that time.   Also I don't recall women at cannon fodder, but I could have missed it.    

You have to love the Nissan ads.  When I see the woman need a computer to help her pass two trucks and stay within her own lane only to feel successful and proud I laugh my ass off. 

Han changed from a “pilot” in his mind only who got a speeder stuck in an alley to a real pilot who made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs, if you round down. 

Qira joined a sex cult like Alex Mack and learned some bad ass space karate that impressed a droid and helped her kill her master (seems to be a theme in SW).

I think they were pretty on par. 

Disney just had 2 movies combine for over 3 billion this year alone and for the all the shit the star wars dicks give the Last Jedi it's the 11th highest grossing movie of all time and would be in the top 10 if not for the aforementioned 2 movies. Solo is seen as a disappointment and maybe they will rethink their strategy but I guarantee they don't see Rian Johnson and TLJ as a mistake. Likely they will just write it off to trouble production and will go with safer picks to helm their next projects. We will get a Bobba Fett movie and an Obi-Wan movie and likely a Lando movie or maybe a Solo sequel with Lando in a bigger role

8 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Disney just had 2 movies combine for over 3 billion this year alone and for the all the shit the star wars dicks give the Last Jedi it's the 11th highest grossing movie of all time and would be in the top 10 if not for the aforementioned 2 movies. Solo is seen as a disappointment and maybe they will rethink their strategy but I guarantee they don't see Rian Johnson and TLJ as a mistake. Likely they will just write it off to trouble production and will go with safer picks to helm their next projects. We will get a Bobba Fett movie and an Obi-Wan movie and likely a Lando movie or maybe a Solo sequel with Lando in a bigger role

That's the most likely scenario but also the most likely for disaster.  The last 3 SW projects have been plagued by either awful production issues (firing two directors, firing another one for the Boba Fett movie, massive script changes, massive rewrites, massive reshoots, etc) which have driven up costs or poor audience reception (TLJ).  The spin by Lucasfilm has already started.  Most of the blame is on the scheduling and they won't be releasing a SW movie within 6 months of another one..... Of course, if TLJ was awesome, then folks would have been excited for another outing so close is the other way of looking at it.  Kennedy probably gets this as a mulligan.

Personally, I would go with an Obi-Wan movie with McGregor after 9, less risk.  9 will print money especially if it's good and Disney tends to do well with getting critics on board.  However, I think Boba Fett is risky as fuck.  There's not a huge demand and if there are more issues with the production and/or it has poor word of mouth, then it could bomb and there's no more "Episodes" to steady the ship..... There's no doubt that Solo, from an economic perspective, is a huge flop.  The budget is being floated out as 250m, but whispers have been closer to 400m because of the reshoots and everything.  That means the loss could be as much as 150-200m in first run.  It may make back a lot of that eventually in TV, home movie, streaming, etc but it's going to be a huge loss for the current accounting year.  Remember, John Carter was close to a 200m loss for Disney and considered one of the biggest bombs of all-time.  Disney won't let a SW property by reported like this but you can argue it's in the same ballpark....

Saw this movie yesterday.  It was fun but nothing great.  The action was the best part of the film, the music was good not exceptional, acting was barely average, storyline was all over the place and it seemed like every character was underdeveloped and expendable.  

I felt like they added Darth Maul to remind me how much the movie could have sucked.

Not as good a Rogue One but not as bad Attack of the Clones.

The problem with any prequel is you already know the fate of the hero and other characters. It's why I'm not interested in a Obi Wan movie. You know Han, Chewie and Lando don't die so there's not much risk or suspense. The other characters fate (Beckett, Qi'ra, Val, L3) who aren't shown later is a little more suspenseful but you have to be able to connect with them in a short time. I enjoyed the overall universe that Solo showed. New planets, what Imperial rule was like, the underground element. All of those are new to the SW universe at least. Obi Wan is him on a planet we already know all too well. Boba Fett could be decent but they'd need to have it be after ROTJ where he survives the Sarlacc somehow. Or someone picks up the Boba Fett mantle. 

Finally saw this.   Thought it was good.   I've also don't really care how it fits in with the other movies or the star wars universe.   I've been watching these most recent 3 movies as simply space action movies,  which in that context they deliver.  I'm not comparing it to the og trilogy,  I'm putting it up against the latest the rock movie.   

I also think Disney needs to move slower on releasing these.   More than one a year will make fans apathetic.  

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Finally saw this.   Thought it was good.   I've also don't really care how it fits in with the other movies or the star wars universe.   I've been watching these most recent 3 movies as simply space action movies,  which in that context they deliver.  I'm not comparing it to the og trilogy,  I'm putting it up against the latest the rock movie.   

I also think Disney needs to move slower on releasing these.   More than one a year will make fans apathetic.  

Yes. Take your time to write a script that is not just twitter and Facebook talking trends “in space”. 

Honestly, I don't see how they make a decent sequel to Solo.   Like others have already said, we know Jan, Chewie and Lando survive until SW and beyond.  

Since Han has already made the Kessel Run and we kind of know that he just became a smuggler with little concern for anyone else with no belief in the force, they've kind of backed themselves into a corner.  He's not some Indiana Jones type who is cares about antiquity or doing the right thing.   His chick bailed on him and he's either learned or will learn that she's not the one for him.   The Han we meet in SW is in it for himself (and Chewie).  

I'd imagine a Han vs. Qi'ra movie with Jabba and Boba Fett thrown in. Maybe something that shows how he became so cynical and in it for himself. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those bounty hunters from Empire. But yeah, there's not a lot of suspense since you know they all survive.  Exactly why I'm not excited for an Obi Wan movie. You know he survives till ANH. It's why I could see a Boba Fett movie being decent if it goes beyond Jedi, either with him crawling out of the Sarlacc or someone picking up the mantle. Though an entire movie built around it would probably be better on Disney's streaming app than a movie in theaters. Or just try something completely new set in the Star Wars universe.  

On 6/12/2018 at 1:21 PM, mdmost said:

The problem with any prequel is you already know the fate of the hero and other characters. It's why I'm not interested in a Obi Wan movie. You know Han, Chewie and Lando don't die so there's not much risk or suspense. The other characters fate (Beckett, Qi'ra, Val, L3) who aren't shown later is a little more suspenseful but you have to be able to connect with them in a short time. I enjoyed the overall universe that Solo showed. New planets, what Imperial rule was like, the underground element. All of those are new to the SW universe at least. Obi Wan is him on a planet we already know all too well. Boba Fett could be decent but they'd need to have it be after ROTJ where he survives the Sarlacc somehow. Or someone picks up the Boba Fett mantle. 

They need to make a stand alone Darth Vader movie.

• Like 1

Śaw it today with the wife, she liked it more than I did. Thought it was ok. Writing was meh, Pacing was off, acting was inconsistent,  some of the jokes were forced and they really need to learn subtlety. With that being said I probably wouldn't change the channel if it was on a rainy Sunday. Better than TLJ, which was complete shit.

Agree Disney needs to chill with dumping movies and hire better writers that can form some consistency and linkage with all the movies.  Hell get the guy that's over the star wars cartoon.

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Vader has had plenty of good moments in Star Wars Rebels.

For those that never intend to watch the show here is this: if someone needs to fix my tapatalk lameness please do

This was a huge deal right before Rogue One came out and had his scene at the end.

Dude, that's not Star Wars.  

Sorry, but it's a cartoon.  It doesn't count.  Would a Seinfeld cartoon be Seinfeld?  

Wut?

Put whatever drug you’re smoking down...

George Lucas himself created it. The cartoons, I mean, not specifically Rebels.

Do you consider Boba Fett Star Wars? Guess what, cartoon character.

Yep, it's a cartoon, but the writing in some episodes are by far better than a lot of star wars movies, books , comics or video games. Ashoka on her own deserves a movie. Same for Thrawn

But we all have different opinions. Took me a little while to get into the cartoons but when I did I was glad I took the leap. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Yep, it's a cartoon, but the writing in some episodes are by far better than a lot of star wars movies, books , comics or video games. Ashoka on her own deserves a movie. Same for Thrawn

But we all have different opinions. Took me a little while to get into the cartoons but when I did I was glad I took the leap. 

Thrawn is rumored to be the big villain in the Obi Wan movie.... 

• Like 1

"And don't any of you faggots tell me it was explained more in the novelization or some Star Wars book. What matters is the movie. I ain't never read one of them Star Wars books, or any books in general for that matter, and I ain't about to start. Don't talk about them stupid video games, or novels, comic books, or any of that fucking crap. I seen enough of that shit."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mdmost said:

Which makes no sense unless it's set well before Rebels. Again, you know there's nothing that happens to either character. Hell bring in Prince Xizor who frankly should've been who Qi'ra calls at the end of Solo. 

I'm gonna assume this is either set almost directly after Revenge of the Sith, or even during the Clone Wars. 

6 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Vader would have sliced him in half @ 1 min.  Can't do that in a kids cartoon.  He's nothing more than a James Bond villain.

Well, Darth Maul guts a few Inquisitors in the Season 2 finale, and then meets his destiny at the hands of an old nemesis at the end of Season 3. There is definitely some adult content in these cartoons. 

On 6/4/2018 at 3:52 PM, Rimbo said:

nsiap

i-PZcFD8Z-2100x20000.jpg

I finally did actually see the movie, and the comic ... yes, I'm the guy in yellow on the left.

Ron Howard must be a goddamned wizard. Fun-as-hell Summer popcorn movie. You neckbeards who are trashing Star Wars... I'm so glad I'm not you.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:32 PM, nineliveslost said:

Part of that is that Dave Filoni seems to have no clue how to write a first season that both introduces the characters/setting and is enjoyable. Or, in the case of The Clone Wars, a second season. 

But yes, the Season 2 Finale of Rebels is one of the best Star Wars things ever. And Ashoka Tano is one of the most interesting characters.

ezra is basically wesley crusher tho

Edited by Rimbo

Yeah I saw it last week while on vacation.

It was enjoyable enough for me.  I didn't like it as much as Rogue One but it was more enjoyable than TLJ (which I actually liked, but admit that it's not really imminently re-watchable).

I think it will be a film that I won't mind re-watching here an there when it's on Netflix or HBO or whatever. 

I thought the guy who played Han did a fine job.  Thought Woody was fantastic.  Also really enjoyed Donald Glover as Lando and Paul Bettany as Dryden.

The rest of the cast and everything else was just fine. Totally felt like Star Wars to me.

The whole "this didn't make sense/that didn't make sense" chorus from the fanboys after every Star Wars movie is pretty tiresome at this point.  Interesting to see that the fanboy crowd who moaned and wailed about George Lucas ruining their collective childhoods have now turned their endless Internet wrath at Kathleen Kennedy.

• Like 1

So the anthology movies are supposedly on hold. 

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social#images

Exclusive: Future ‘A Star Wars Story’ Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm

BY STEVE 'FROSTY' WEINTRAUB      JUNE 20, 2018

star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi-slice

It may be a while before we see any more movies like Solo: A Star Wars Story out of Lucasfilm. Sources with knowledge of the situation tell Collider that Lucasfilm has decided to put plans for more A Star Wars Story spinoff movies on hold, instead opting to focus their attention on Star Wars: Episode IX and what the next trilogy of Star Wars films will be after that film. Sources tell us that the previously rumored Obi-Wan movie was in active development, but those who were working on the film are no longer involved. It was recently reported that Logan filmmaker James Mangold was in early talks to write and direct the Boba Fett film, but that was before Solo’s release.

This news comes in the wake of the disappointing launch of Solo, which was only Lucasfilm’s second A Star Wars Story spinoff, but which received mixed-positive reviews and fell short of box office expectations. The film scored $84.4 million on opening weekend and has grossed $192.8 million domestically (and $339.5 million worldwide) in four weeks, which is nothing to scoff at but is far, far lower than the performance of other Star Wars movies at this benchmark. For comparison’s sake, Rogue One opened to $155 million and had grossed $424 million domestic by Week 4. To put it simply, while Solo did fine by blockbuster standards, it wasn’t the “event” that Lucasfilm expected out of a brand new Star Wars movie.

solo-a-star-wars-story-alden-ehrenreich

Image via Lucasfilm

Of course the May release date could have had something to do with Solo’s disappointing performance. As opposed to Rogue Oneor the episodic films by J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, Solo went head-to-head with a slew of summer blockbusters in May, opening mere weeks after box office juggernauts Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2. One wonders how the film would have fared had Lucasfilm pushed Solo’s release to December instead.

Regardless, we’re hearing that plans to revisit this A Star Wars Story format have been put on hold for the moment. Initially announced as “anthology” movies, the spinoffs got off to a rocky start and haven’t exactly been smooth sailing. Josh Trank (Chronicle) was developing a Boba Fett movie around the same time Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) was prepping Rogue One, but Trank was subsequently removedfrom the project and Lucasfilm lost a film off its planned slate. Then story issues led to extensive reshoots on Rogue One that reworked the third act, with Tony Gilroy(The Bourne Legacy) overseeing the new scenes. And then of course Solo saw directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller fired during production, with Ron Howardcoming in to replace them and reshoot a number of scenes.

star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-movie

Image via Lucasfilm

In addition to Episode IX, Lucasfilm has officially announced development on a new Star Wars trilogyfocused on new characters from The Last Jediwriter/director Rian Johnson, as well as a new series of films written by Game of Thronesshowrunners David Benioffand D.B. Weiss. These projects continue to be in development and are not part of the paused spinoffs we’re hearing about. But Lucasfilm’s main focus at the moment is planning the next trilogy after the Abrams-directed Star Wars 9, which is expected to conclude the story of Rey (Daisy Ridley) that began with The Force Awakens.

As with everything in Hollywood, it’s always possible that some filmmaker could come in and pitch an idea for a Star Wars Story spinoff that makes Lucasfilm rethink its approach, or opt to greenlight that idea as a one-off, but as of right now we’re hearing the studio’s focus has moved away from these spinoffs for the time-being and is squarely intent on getting Episode IX to the finish line and figuring out what the next trilogy of films will be.