2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ethan Burke being on the depth chart this year is either a really good sign or really bad. The guy looks like he’s added some weight but he also looked like he added some of it by eating Doritos for every meal after seeing that picture of him with the Westlake guys at the open practice.

I expected him to be a good player 2 or 3 years in, but to see him contributing this quick is surprising.

FaYrcUjXoAMbQgk?format=jpg&name=medium

Had to go and find it.. you're not wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ethan Burke being on the depth chart this year is either a really good sign or really bad. The guy looks like he’s added some weight but he also looked like he added some of it by eating Doritos for every meal after seeing that picture of him with the Westlake guys at the open practice.

I expected him to be a good player 2 or 3 years in, but to see him contributing this quick is surprising.

His ability to get into the tackles with his wingspan is something that will offset raw strength because he can play with uncommon leverage. He wont hold up against the run for a whole game, but the dude can absolutely help in passing situations.

Edited by Vertigo

23 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Ewers can suck for a bit if he has the talent to be great. I have been patient for 12 years now, I can be patient for a few games more while he gets his shit together.

Besides all we need to do is beat UTSA and ULM to start the season. 

Everyone is gonna need to be patient for sure. He's a freshman, he's gonna make mistakes, no doubt about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Don't be so dumb about practice INTs. Not all of them are on the QB. Receivers tend to be responsible for a lot of practice INTs - incorrectly run routes resulting in tipped balls or straight into INTs. If Ewers is throwing to Gabe Susler, he's throwing to everyone in the WR, TE, H-B room. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT

EDIT (2:13) 

— Quinn threw a pick-six to Kitan Crawford but it was because the receiver fell down — and not a receiver you’d expect to be out there with the first team QB.

Good call Tex Long

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

image.png.081a61514bfbe8842338b49ab0b66032.png

Makes sense. I always tell people I’m Nicolas Cage with acting skills. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

It shouldn’t require Ethan Burke getting reps at edge to realize we really fucking suck there. We have Ovie, Sorrell, Dorbah and true freshman. We’re probably in the bottom 10-15 of P5 schools at edge right now unless one of the freshman is an absolute phenom. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So, um, are we buying stock in Casey Cain? Or from Missouri?

I don't think there's any way he's a superstar on his own but having a connection with your QB can elevate guys' production on the field. I know he was a much higher rated recruit, but Billy Pittman was a star while running a 4.9 his whole career because VY trusted him and had a connection with him (meaning he knew Pittman's speed downfield and in and out of breaks perfectly so always put the ball where Pittman needed it). If Ewers has that with Cain then he can be productive while never getting a sniff from an NFL scout.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Haven't seen that pic before. EB is gonna be very good sooner than expected if he's putting on weight like that this quickly. He hasn't seemed to lose his quickness either. That frame can hold a lot, which is why I was always a bigger fan of his of the Westlake duo.

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

His ability to get into the tackles with his wingspan is something that will offset raw strength because he can play with uncommon leverage. He wont hold up against the run for a whole game, but the dude can absolutely help in passing situations.

Gerry mentioned he has quick feet and can bend.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't think there's any way he's a superstar on his own but having a connection with your QB can elevate guys' production on the field. I know he was a much higher rated recruit, but Billy Pittman was a star while running a 4.9 his whole career because VY trusted him and had a connection with him (meaning he knew Pittman's speed downfield and in and out of breaks perfectly so always put the ball where Pittman needed it). If Ewers has that with Cain then he can be productive while never getting a sniff from an NFL scout.

Y’all act like you have to be a phenomenal athlete to be a great WR. . 

Hands and Good routes will make you a top WR in the NFL, just look at Cooper Kupp, Michael Thomas, Tee Higgins shid even Devontae Adams 

They’re good because they’re smart and run really good routes. None of them ran under a 4.5 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Good take. 

15 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Y’all act like you have to be a phenomenal athlete to be a great WR. . 

Hands and Good routes will make you a top WR in the NFL, just look at Cooper Kupp, Michael Thomas, Tee Higgins shid even Devontae Adams 

They’re good because they’re smart and run really good routes. None of them ran under a 4.5 

Bruh those are all phenomenal athletes

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Pittman could do that because Vince was a massive run threat and had one of the best ball fakes of all time. Pittman is also very much like Whittington, with good agility and just an all around competitor.

Cain ran a 4.71 electronic-timed 40 as a sophomore at 6-2, with arms that hang down to his knees. Most skill position players get faster, if they show speed that young. He showed decent agility on tape and has a massive catch radius. His long arms help keep defenders from jamming. I remember saying he's not great but he's one of the better recruits we've landed at that position in a while. His 4.71 as a sophomore is faster than most of our receivers (before Sark) while they were in college. And they didn't have Cain's length or ball skills. Too many of our recruits over the past 10-15 years, even the 4-stars, had no chance at this level. Online websites have fans fooled.

Cain was chastised on the internet because of his less than desirable ranking and the fact a few UT "journalists" thought it was a bad take. All the while, other receivers with way less talent were applauded because of their ranking and the fact a few UT "journalists" thought they were good pickups.

Some of you should go back and watch his film and take a look at his measurements and track times at an early age. 

Online recruiting evaluations have jumped the shark. Does anyone actually go back and look at past results? Does anyone actually learn how to evaluate talent? Or just make excuses when they're very wrong on a recruit? There's no accountability in this profession.

• Hook 'Em 6

Everyone is gonna need to be patient for sure. He's a freshman, he's gonna make mistakes, no doubt about it. 

He’s also got a ballsy gambler mentality. So ints will come with it. Having a guy that generates 3 and outs and kills our run game by never threatening the deep part of the field is worse than a gambler who hits tds and opens the run game but throws some ints.

60 td / 30 ints would be pretty fucking funny though.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

He’s also got a ballsy gambler mentality. So ints will come with it. Having a guy that generates 3 and outs and kills our run game by never threatening the deep part of the field is worse than a gambler who hits tds and opens the run game but throws some ints.

60 td / 30 ints would be pretty fucking funny though.

If he could do that at an even 5/2.5 wvery game with our running back room I’m pretty sure we’d go 10-2. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Pittman could do that because Vince was a massive run threat and had one of the best ball fakes of all time. Pittman is also very much like Whittington, with good agility and just an all around competitor.

Cain ran a 4.71 electronic-timed 40 as a sophomore at 6-2, with arms that hang down to his knees. Most skill position players get faster, if they show speed that young. He showed decent agility on tape and has a massive catch radius. His long arms help keep defenders from jamming. I remember saying he's not great but he's one of the better recruits we've landed at that position in a while. His 4.71 as a sophomore is faster than most of our receivers (before Sark) while they were in college. And they didn't have Cain's length or ball skills. Too many of our recruits over the past 10-15 years, even the 4-stars, had no chance at this level. Online websites have fans fooled.

Cain was chastised on the internet because of his less than desirable ranking and the fact a few UT "journalists" thought it was a bad take. All the while, other receivers with way less talent were applauded because of their ranking and the fact a few UT "journalists" thought they were good pickups.

Some of you should go back and watch his film and take a look at his measurements and track times at an early age. 

Online recruiting evaluations have jumped the shark. Does anyone actually go back and look at past results? Does anyone actually learn how to evaluate talent? Or just make excuses when they're very wrong on a recruit? There's no accountability in this profession.

Maybe we let Cain actually do something, hell anything, on a field during a game before we start lauding him and mocking how he was viewed in recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe we let Cain actually do something, hell anything, on a field during a game before we start lauding him and mocking how he was viewed in recruiting. 

I'm not saying he's going to do anything. UT boards think he sucks as a prospect. They also thin he's slow. Neither is true, regardless of what he does or doesn't do on the field. There's some really bad evaluations these days. Fans bite way too hard for what the online journalists have to say and don't do their own homework. Many of our commits at this position over the years are much worse than him, yet, we blame the coaches for development when they don't hit. It's not development, it's recruiting and evaluation.

• Like 1