LBGTQ

Mo Horn

2 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Isn’t it possible your nephew can think Biden sucks without being the only black trans maga person? Many decent people think our government should further progressive goals and have given up on Biden for not meeting their expectations. With that in mind, It is possible your nephew will nevertheless vote “not Trump.”

Or not. The drone wars were a deal breaker for me. I voted Green in 2012.

Sure, but LGB isn't a "Biden isn't progressive enough" slogan. It has a very specific connotation of displeasure.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Sure, but LGB isn't a "Biden isn't progressive enough" slogan. It has a very specific connotation of displeasure.

correct, a very specific connotation. 

also, not that it matters, but it's my bff's nephew, not mine. i'm the one with the anorexic, vegan, OCD, over-acheiving, strident Israel-protesting niece. 😆😜

On 12/29/2023 at 2:14 PM, Mo Horn said:

Whatcha know, a GOP governor doing the right thing. 

Ohio governor vetoes ban on gender-affirming care for transgender minors

https://www.cnn.com/politics/ohio-dewine-transgender-house-bill-68

Sadly, Republicans in the House and Senate voted to override DeWine’s veto. These people disgust me. This bitch in particular:

”Ahead of the vote Wednesday, state Sen. Kristina Roegner, one of the bill's co-sponsors, said it's impossible for someone to change their gender and that ‘there is no such thing as a gender spectrum.’

‘There is no such thing as gender-affirming care,’ Roegner added. ‘You can’t affirm something that doesn’t exist.’”

Die in a fire you ignorant, evil cunt.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/ohio-senate-trans-sports-medical-care-transition-minors-rcna135332

Incidentally, regarding the ban on trans athletes competing in the state. The number I’ve heard is that there are 6 female trans athletes in Ohio and none of them are competing for championships. I’ve seen someone say the number was 5 and another say the number is 7. I’ve heard 6 (and that 3 have been approved for competition by OHSAA). The point is that the number of athletes involved is so ridiculously small that it betrays the fact that the OH GOP are just using that as an excuse to hurt trans folk in general.

Fuck these people. 

• Rage+1 1

It’s just a redefining of who the cool kids are which is also amazing in and of itself. you can almost hear them exclaim, “I’m queer too!!!” 

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

as the (step-) grandmother of a queer, black, young woman...i concur 😊

i have worried about how challenging life will be for her... she graduated college last spring so is just starting out, and that's a lot of 'strikes'* right out of the gate...female, black, queer. she seems to be doing okay so far, we just try to offer support when we can and advice when she asks!

*obviously i don't mean we think they are strikes, but we know the realities of this world.... you know what i mean 😕

• Hook 'Em 5

17 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Its a perfect song.  One of my all-time favorites.  Good for Tracy.

she is vastly underrated as one of the greatest singer songwriters of all time. Her music has been with me at the top of my personal charts for a long, long time. Smoke and Ashes plays on the reg around here.

• Hook 'Em 2

So until this morning I was clueless about He Gets Us, and actually thought the Super Bowl foot-washing ad was pretty good without context. Without getting too religious, the story of Jesus (not the Jesus portrayed by the hard right) washing his disciples’ feet is an ancient tale of selfless love, humility, and service.

Now knowing that it’s funded by those Hobby Lobby fucksticks, I totally get @troph’s ire on the Super Bowl commercial thread. What’s the play there? A gay man sees a commercial with a priest washing a gay man’s foot and asks, “Wait, Jesus loves the gays?”, then goes on the He Gets Us website, stumbles on some right-wing fundamentalist Christian theology, and then suddenly decides to be not gay? 

So until this morning I was clueless about He Gets Us, and actually thought the Super Bowl foot-washing ad was pretty good without context. Without getting too religious, the story of Jesus (not the Jesus portrayed by the hard right) washing his disciples’ feet is an ancient tale of selfless love, humility, and service.
Now knowing that it’s funded by those Hobby Lobby fucksticks, I totally get [mention=93]troph[/mention]’s ire on the Super Bowl commercial thread. What’s the play there? A gay man sees a commercial with a priest washing a gay man’s foot and asks, “Wait, Jesus loves the gays?”, then goes on the He Gets Us website, stumbles on some right-wing fundamentalist Christian theology, and then suddenly decides to be not gay? 

Look closer at the commercial - every oppressor is the one doing the Jesus like behavior. It was terrible from the get go.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

Look closer at the commercial - every oppressor is the one doing the Jesus like behavior. It was terrible from the get go.

Ah, I see that.  I didn't notice during the first viewing because it took a few seconds to figure out what the hell was going on.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Ah, I see that.  I didn't notice during the first viewing because it took a few seconds to figure out what the hell was going on.

The ad reminded me of the current pope, and how he shocked conservatives by washing the feet of women. And non-Catholics. And prisoners.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/03/24/we-brothers-pope-francis-washes-feet-migrants/82214856/#:~:text=Traditionally%2C the foot-washing by,at a prison in Rome.   

• Hook 'Em 1

More on this.

The chain of influence behind “He Gets Us” can be followed through public records and information on the campaign’s own site. The campaign is a subsidiary of The Servant Foundation, also known as the Signatry.

According to research compiled by Jacobin, a left-leaning news outlet, The Servant Foundation has donated tens of millions to the Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative Christian legal group. The ADF has been involved in several legislative pushes to curtail LGBTQ rights and quash non-discrimination legislation in the Supreme Court.

CNN has reached out to the Servant Foundation for comment.

While donors who support “He Gets Us” can choose to remain anonymous, Hobby Lobby co-founder David Green claims to be a big contributor to the campaign’s multi-million-dollar coffers. Hobby Lobby has famously been at the center of several legal controversies, including the support of anti-LGBTQ legislation and a successful years-long legal fight that eventually led to the Supreme Court allowing companies to deny medical coverage for contraception on the basis of religious beliefs.

At least David Green is open about the fact that he hates gays.

“We are wanting to say — ‘we’ being a lot of different people — that he gets us,” Green said. “[Jesus] understands us. He loves who we hate. I think we have to let the public know and create a movement.”

Fuckers.

The truth behind the ‘He Gets Us’ ads for Jesus airing during the Super Bowl

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Now knowing that it’s funded by those Hobby Lobby fucksticks, I totally get @troph’s ire on the Super Bowl commercial thread. What’s the play there? A gay man sees a commercial with a priest washing a gay man’s foot and asks, “Wait, Jesus loves the gays?”, then goes on the He Gets Us website, stumbles on some right-wing fundamentalist Christian theology, and then suddenly decides to be not gay? 

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

The ad reminded me of the current pope, and how he shocked conservatives by washing the feet of women. And non-Catholics. And prisoners.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/03/24/we-brothers-pope-francis-washes-feet-migrants/82214856/#:~:text=Traditionally%2C the foot-washing by,at a prison in Rome.   

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

More on this.

At least David Green is open about the fact that he hates gays.

Fuckers.

The truth behind the ‘He Gets Us’ ads for Jesus airing during the Super Bowl

What they're selling:

What you're actually getting:

Also somewhat humorous and ironic is the use of INXS for the background music.  Yeah the lead singer died by accidentally autoerotically asphyxiating himself.  What would GOP Jesus have thought of that?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

And Muslims.

Foot-washing is part of the Mennonite practice of Communion. I’ve participated in that. I respect that. The “He Gets Us” gang are far-right phoneys. I thought everyone knew that.

7 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

You know, I wasn't really down with religion in the first place, but washing someone else's feet is a definite no from me, dog.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

lol, all the super-MAGA folks like Jack Posobiec are so pissed about this ad, too.  They really need to fine-tune their IFF. 

As PR campaigns go, this one could backfire in that people might actually believe that being nice to people is the Christian thing to do and start to wonder about all the hate mongers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And Muslims.

Foot-washing is part of the Mennonite practice of Communion. I’ve participated in that. I respect that. The “He Gets Us” gang are far-right phoneys. I thought everyone knew that.

Well, sure. But, I, too, have other associations of foot washing in the context of religious, non sexual, rites, and those came to mind because of the ad.

This pope washed the feet of Muslim, and Eastern-Orthodox, prisoners. Those Jesuits know how to stir the pot. Never surprised when money comes to the surface, either.