LBGTQ

Mo Horn

6 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

I'm not really sure this proves the point you're trying to make

6 hours ago, safe sex said:

So explain it to me

3 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

I think it stands for the proposition that a truly mediocre biological male swimmer can completely dominate women's athletics and can only be beaten by some of the absolute best times ever recorded. 

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

as in "if you set the Ivy League record, then you too can beat this very mediocre swimmer who has transitioned"

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I wouldn't call an 8th place finish in 100-yard freestyle and a 5th place finish in 200-yard freestyle "completely dominating."

41 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Pretty fucked up that Michael Phelps set so many records and dominated swimming for so long while having a genetic quirk that allows his body to produce less lactic acid during muscle exertion. I'd be fucking pissed if I had swam against such obvious injustice.

Lemme make this simple. It will never be the case that a trans woman wins anything because she earned it. It will always be because she’s a man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I have kids and both played youth sports (tennis). 

I have concluded that any grown man who choses to be around kids for any reason other than 1) you're a tennis coach for money/income/making a living or 2) your kid is on the tennis team is automatically suspicious.  

I coached my daughter's team (Bullneckette was #1 on the ladder) and I fucking hated every minute of it except for the fact that if I hadn't done it either we wouldn't have had a team or all the parents would have been assessed some huge fee to pay for a coach. 

Eventually we got a female college tennis player to be my "assistant" (i.e., run the practices and hit balls) for slightly more than minimum wage and I got to just walk around with my arms folded looking disapprovingly at every ball hit into the net.  

End of "well, that was some weird shit" rant.  Also, that guy's name is really Buckaloo?

I’ve coached 10u before with a guy who I think is one of the best humans I know. He had a fucked up childhood he gives back by coaching the 10u little league team of scrubs, the kids that don’t have a dad that gives enough of a shit or is too busy to coach. Always loses, but finds victories for the kids in their first ever caught fly ball or that single base hit for the season under the lights, the kinds of moments that make a kid a baseball fan for a life time, the moments they remember forever. I coached one season with him, he asked me to, told me my son would be the best on the team and we would be so bad. My son and I said ok let’s do this. So we did. We lost every game except the first playoff game. Watching that kid round third coming home for the winning run was magic. Were you better today than you were yesterday?  Some kids coaches have a passion for it, I’ve coached my kids 3 times now and they are some of my very best memories. When my kids are grown, if I’m not on a sailboat telling the world to fuck off you just might find me on a little league field trying to be half the life coach that guy is. 

• Hook 'Em 4

We all agree here that gender is a psychosocial construct right?

If so, I see no reason to differentiate sports on such things. We should have no expectation that athletic performance is associated with social constructs.  

If we are going to differentiate sports competitions to keep things competitive to the benefit of all, we should do so on things that begin to get more objective, age, biological sex, performance enhancing hormone levels, etc. That is at least grounded in objective reality. 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

If it ain’t no big thing, Ana, then let the sports leagues experts and those responsible make the calls.  Nothing on earth, outside of the culinary arts, will satisfy you.  So why bang your head against it?

Sports league experts? Lol. Sure. They should go for it. 

On 3/8/2023 at 11:35 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Not sure how this is legal ….

Denying marriage licenses to interracial couples...I know a bunch of Republicans just straight up hate gays/trans/etc., (and yeah, make with the closet comments) but when you hear stuff like this, and you combine it with some of the other thinly-veiled racism that Trump made okay (shithole countries, rapists/drug smugglers are what's coming across the border), and you combine it with all of the right-wing white supremacist groups that are out in the open and the GOP is afraid to condemn them, it's a pretty good case that the end-game is not some kind of war on gays/trans/etc., but instead is focused on race.  It's like some are testing the waters with the anti-gay stuff to see how far they can go.

Of course, Florida is flat-out declaring a war against minorities, LGBTQ, women, etc. in college.  They aren't even hiding it.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/10/2023 at 4:19 PM, wildcat09 said:

I wouldn't call an 8th place finish in 100-yard freestyle and a 5th place finish in 200-yard freestyle "completely dominating."

No but you'd agree that Lia Thomas performed better as a woman than as a man, compared to her competition?

On 3/10/2023 at 6:51 PM, troph said:

Lemme make this simple. It will never be the case that a trans woman wins anything because she earned it. It will always be because she’s a man. 

Yeah that's not my point but I get why you'd think that.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:08 PM, safe sex said:

Pretty fucked up that Michael Phelps set so many records and dominated swimming for so long while having a genetic quirk that allows his body to produce less lactic acid during muscle exertion. I'd be fucking pissed if I had swam against such obvious injustice.

nice straw man

Lia has won races and lost races to cis women. She has set records, at least one of which has been beaten by a cis woman. She did not dominate swimming outside of like a couple of events (if that), and ya know, sometimes that happens in sports. Suck it up and work harder.

Would it have happened if she was still competing with men? Of course not, but she's not a man so she shouldn't have ever been swimming with them. If y'all who are so concerned about the "integrity" (or whatever) of women's sports and trans women competing in them, you should be vocal supporters of hormone blockers for trans children, as that will mitigate any biological advantage the trans athlete might have (advantages which are totally cool for every other athlete to have, if they possess them).

But we all know how most people who object to trans women in women's sports feel about that. 

Regardless, trans people remain a tiny, extremely vulnerable, minority in this country and shouldn't be excluded from yet another part of life due to who they are.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, safe sex said:

Lia has won races and lost races to cis women. She has set records, at least one of which has been beaten by a cis woman. She did not dominate swimming outside of like a couple of events (if that), and ya know, sometimes that happens in sports. Suck it up and work harder.

Would it have happened if she was still competing with men? Of course not, but she's not a man so she shouldn't have ever been swimming with them. If y'all who are so concerned about the "integrity" (or whatever) of women's sports and trans women competing in them, you should be vocal supporters of hormone blockers for trans children, as that will mitigate any biological advantage the trans athlete might have (advantages which are totally cool for every other athlete to have, if they possess them).

But we all know how most people who object to trans women in women's sports feel about that. 

Regardless, trans people remain a tiny, extremely vulnerable, minority in this country and shouldn't be excluded from yet another part of life due to who they are.

Serious question: when you say "but she's not a man so she shouldn't have ever been swimming with them," what does that mean? Was she not biologically male (with all perceived physical superiorities) at that time? I'm not starting shit or laying a trap or anything like that. I genuinely want to know what you mean by that. 

As for your last sentence, do you think trans women should be allowed to compete in ALL sports with cisgendered women? What about things like MMA? 

On 3/13/2023 at 9:09 AM, BHMCruiser said:

Yeah that's not my point but I get why you'd think that.

Who the fuck are you?

more directly how is that not your point? That’s exactly the point.  I’m a trans woman athlete, a good one, and I lose often. And I can’t compete with men, so much so my coach audibly laughed the one time I suggested it. Why you ask, I could tell you’re curious.  Because I’m a fucking woman.  

So, Instead of you asking the questions I’ll ask the goddamned questions - if a trans woman can compete without being accused of winning because she’s a man then do tell  when is it acceptable to you? Because the last time we all had a conversation about Lia Thomas y’all acted like pieces of shit bigots so  please go on tell me… you enlightened believer in science and fairness and equality for all. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Just really sad that trans athletes have robbed the right of the enjoyment they received from watching women’s sports.

I don't get it. but I'm sometimes dense. help a sista out HJ.

• Like 1

I don't get it. but I'm sometimes dense. help a sista out HJ.
I think he's saying that the people complaining about trans-women* ruining competition, don't actually follow women's sports, so they aren't engaged in the discussion because of some sense of fairness, but rather some other more negative motivation (bigotry, transphobia).

I'd agree with him, I think many of those people mock women's athletics in other discussions.

*I hope I have that correct, I worry that I get trans-women/trans-men mixed up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, tchookem said:

I think he's saying that the people complaining about trans-women* ruining competition, don't actually follow women's sports, so they aren't engaged in the discussion because of some sense of fairness, but rather some other more negative motivation (bigotry, transphobia).

I'd agree with him, I think many of those people mock women's athletics in other discussions.

*I hope I have that correct, I worry that I get trans-women/trans-men mixed up.

use the gender that applies after transition - so trans women would would be people like me.  trans men would be guys like mack beggs that trans wrestler that wrestled with the girls and caused a big stink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

No, he is saying that the folks in question watch women’s sports only for the sexual appeal, and trans women, you know….

to each their own, but I've been deemed a sex object of desire by more than a few.  point being, trans women can be sexy.

51 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It seemed pretty clear to me that he was saying guys on the right don't watch women's sports.

ah, "the right" as in the political right not "a right" as in a right to watch women's sports.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

That’s your law degree steering you astray

So true. 

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So has Fitlump. Just saying. ;)

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. Don’t feed me straight lines.

Like I said to each their own. :)

In happier news, Jesse Singal spent a week having a twitter meltdown trying to defend his not understanding the attack helicopter meme and, in an attempt to win an internet argument with his critics, accidentally implicated Jamie Reed in something around like 100 HIPAA violations (at least). He also may have defamed some medical professionals, but I can't confirm because he deleted his twitter account. It's not clear if he deleted it because he'd implicated his source in crimes or because he'd opened himself up to a lot of civil liability, but either way it's very funny.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

In happier news, Jesse Singal spent a week having a twitter meltdown trying to defend his not understanding the attack helicopter meme and, in an attempt to win an internet argument with his critics, accidentally implicated Jamie Reed in something around like 100 HIPAA violations (at least). He also may have defamed some medical professionals, but I can't confirm because he deleted his twitter account. It's not clear if he deleted it because he'd implicated his source in crimes or because he'd opened himself up to a lot of civil liability, but either way it's very funny.

I was curious what you were talking about specifically and found this recap article:

https://www.intomore.com/impact/gender-clinic-workers-sent-trans-patients-names-to-an-anti-trans-whistleblower/

Also notable from this is the dual HIPAA and basic privacy violations by the healthcare providers too. Its been a known quantity for quite some time that healthcare providers are illegally selling our healthcare data, I sure fucking wish we had a regulatory framework to address this.

It's fucking outrageous. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1