This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

The guy has an amazing career record at a difficult school to win consistently at.  They were 12-2 last year.  This season was bad.  I wouldn't count them out this soon.  Although, it does appear that something has gone really wrong there.  It'll be interesting to watch.   

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm with Gundy on this one... it's not the reporters job to ask him stupid questions knowing Gundy would be an ass to answer it right there.

I'm with Gundy on this one, but unfortunately it is the reporter's job to ask, even though you could argue they shouldn't. It's just the nature of that beast. Maybe once ever has anything good or important ever come out of putting some coach on stage to answer reporters' questions immediately after they lost a game. I don't see why we needed to hear from him or those players. Entirely too much access to coaches and players vs. any true, real, and/or relevant information we get. 

Gundy's in a really odd spot. He's made a ton of money, brought a level of success to oSu football they've never had before, and yet his reputation of unexplainable losses every season PLUS pissing his pants almost annually against ou combined with being a thin skinned prick makes him far less popular in Stillwater than he probably deserves to be. Now he's really caught in almost a lose-lose situation.

They should move up the food chain and be one of the bigger brands in the B12 once Texas and OU move to the SEC. They'll have a far better chance of getting into the expanded playoffs. And yet, are they really poised for success in this new era of NIL and the transfer portal? 

Maybe he'll stick around in Stillwater another decade and pocket another $75-100mil. Maybe he decides he needs to leave behind his "dream job" and finds an opening at a B10 or ACC school looking to make a "splash" hire. I can't imagine he'd ever be forced out at oSu unless he starts losing 8+ games a year for multiple seasons. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm with Gundy on this one... it's not the reporters job to ask him stupid questions knowing Gundy would be an ass to answer it right there.

It is absolutely a reporter's job to ask any and every question he can think of, no matter someone's opinion about the question. A reporter should especially ask uncomfortable and/or "gotcha" questions. It's not the job to consider how it would make the subject feel to have to answer a particular question. Get the fuck out with that shit. 

Aside from that, Gundy shouldn't be admired or given an attaboy for his behavior. He's a 55 year old adult that earns $7.5 million a year. That money is given with the accepted and understood responsibility to handle a question he might not like without resorting to personal attacks and threats. That's the minimum and he can't even do that. He's the second longest tenured coach in FBS, a job that is generally short-lived and ends in humiliation. He has experienced none of that. Outside a few years at Baylor and Maryland, his entire coaching career has been in Stillwater where he was already revered as a former star QB. He has zero excuse to act like a petulant child at a bowl game press conference. Zero.

I also disagree with the notion that OSU couldn't enjoy the same success they've had with a new HC. It's a brave new world and nobody knows how the table will look when the chairs settle. Uncouple from OU and stake their own claim. Lean into B12 rivalries with Tech, Baylor, TCU and Houston to keep recruiting Texas. Without tripping over their dick every year at Bedlam, there's absolutely no reason OSU can't be a cyclical playoff team, with any half-decent coach. Personally, the Bedlam dick tripping has always said to me that Gundy would never get over the hump and win a title. But OSU most certainly can.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Maybe he'll stick around in Stillwater another decade and pocket another $75-100mil. Maybe he decides he needs to leave behind his "dream job" and finds an opening at a B10 or ACC school looking to make a "splash" hire. I can't imagine he'd ever be forced out at oSu unless he starts losing 8+ games a year for multiple seasons. 

Next season (2023) seems like a crossroad year for Gundy.  Losing Jim Knowles was a huge loss for Gundy and okie lite -- not so sure that his replacement (Derek Mason) was the right hire for a B12 defensive coordinator.

Gundy may be pissed by the reporter's question, but Mike needs to make some changes to his coaching and recruiting staffs for 2023.  

"Adapt or Die"

Edited by LTtxfan

OSU is going to be a big part of the crumbling of the big 12. Along with Baylor, they likely will fall the farthest. Small-town schools that have been semi-relevant nationally but appear unlikely to have enough success recruiting and retaining talent to matter much anymore. WVU went ahead and decided to fall into a toilet early.

Tech hasn't been worth national FB attention since they fired Leach. KSU hasn't since Snyder was in his first century of coaching them. Kansas had like one year under Mangino. ISU's version of success is when people remember that they are an actual DI school that once almost beat their more famous yet eternally mediocre "rival," Iowa.

The only current B12 school that will likely matter more than incidentally on the national stage after staying in the league is TCU. They are in a major metropolitan area, have a few alumni who can afford to help with some NIL, and are getting good exposure in the CFP a year before we dump this hole. Of course, getting exposed isn't always a good thing-- they'd better remember not to soil themselves against Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Only current B12 school likely to matter is TCU.  Of course, getting exposed isn't a good thing-- they'd better remember not to soil themselves against Michigan.

giphy.gif

Damn I hope Michigan turns the horned toads into roadkill on Saturday... 😋

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Gundy's in a really odd spot. He's made a ton of money, brought a level of success to oSu football they've never had before, and yet his reputation of unexplainable losses every season PLUS pissing his pants almost annually against ou combined with being a thin skinned prick makes him far less popular in Stillwater than he probably deserves to be. Now he's really caught in almost a lose-lose situation.

You could substitute Patterson/TCU/FW for Gundy/oSu/Stillwater and not have to change another word and the whole thing reads true.

His support of OAN

You have any idea how much unsolicited crap these guys get sent to them? He picked a gimme shirt out of a pile and wore it fishing. Some BLM guys tell Chuba Hubbard, a freakin Canadian who I guarantee you had never heard of OAN, that he should be offended. Shit gets blown out of proportion, Gundy has to eat some undeserved crow, and loses a shit ton of money. Guy’s been a coach in Stillwater for 20 years and has never endorsed so much as a city councilman. I have no idea what his position on any political argument may be, and neither does anyone else.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

You have any idea how much unsolicited crap these guys get sent to them? He picked a gimme shirt out of a pile and wore it fishing. Some BLM guys tell Chuba Hubbard, a freakin Canadian who I guarantee you had never heard of OAN, that he should be offended. Shit gets blown out of proportion, Gundy has to eat some undeserved crow, and loses a shit ton of money. Guy’s been a coach in Stillwater for 20 years and has never endorsed so much as a city councilman. I have no idea what his position on any political argument may be, and neither does anyone else.

Come on now. He knew what he was wearing. 

You can wear a lot of things but putting it out online is another thing altogether. If he didn't know he damn sure should have.

"OAN? Who is that?" 

"Dad, I don't know. Maybe Google it."

Walla done. Massive PR hit avoided. But, no he didn't and if I am being straight up he knew EXACTLY who they are and what they stand for. 

He has a thin skin. He can't abide critical looks. It's going to burn him in the long run.

• Hook 'Em 1

One conference championship in a generation isn’t exactly the benchmark of a great coach. We have a really nice consecutive winning season streak going, and we always make some middle of the pack bowl game, and that’s more than enough for way too many of our fans. Gundy’s brought us to a level we’ve never had, but we’ve been stalled in the middle of the road for a few years now, and he’s not the guy to get us any further.

• Like 1

Come on now. He knew what he was wearing. 
You can wear a lot of things but putting it out online is another thing altogether. If he didn't know he damn sure should have.
"OAN? Who is that?" 
"Dad, I don't know. Maybe Google it."
Walla done. Massive PR hit avoided. But, no he didn't and if I am being straight up he knew EXACTLY who they are and what they stand for. 
He has a thin skin. He can't abide critical looks. It's going to burn him in the long run.

What would I know. I’ve only been following him since the 80’s, while you’ve read some tweets and Facebook posts. Obviously I stand corrected.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

38 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

What would I know. I’ve only been following him since the 80’s, while you’ve read some tweets and Facebook posts. Obviously I stand corrected.

Burying your head in the sand? You're feeling guilty | Daily ...

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

One conference championship in a generation isn’t exactly the benchmark of a great coach. We have a really nice consecutive winning season streak going, and we always make some middle of the pack bowl game, and that’s more than enough for way too many of our fans. Gundy’s brought us to a level we’ve never had, but we’ve been stalled in the middle of the road for a few years now, and he’s not the guy to get us any further.

How many did we have again when our 2nd most successful coach in program history was here?

[ducks]

Let us not forget just how dogshit that program was historically.

The big12 has a lot of programs with a history of sucking beyond belief.

ISU

Kansas

Kansas St

OSU

Baylor

TCU

All have been Terri-bad for decades upon decades.

That’s 60% of our current conference.

Yeah it's not like he publicly admitted to having to apologize to his players about it. Or never said this:

It's One America News. And it was so refreshing. They just report the news. There's no commentary. There's no opinions on this. There's no left. There's no right. They just reported the news. And I've been watching them the last week, because they're given us the news and given us more information — in my opinion — some of the positives are coming out. So, that was refreshing.

You mother fuckers are such bad liars, it's incredible.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Oh let's not forget this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/13/okla-state-coach-mike-gundy-blames-liberalism-snowflake-millennial-college-athletes-transferring-schools/

Gee I fucking wonder what the political leanings of a dude that talks like that are. It's a god damn mystery.

E: And don't forget his retarded COVID tirade 

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

8 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

You know, when I get a free t shirt I really dig in and research how great the company that gave me that t shirt is.  

Oh, and since you’ve been ‘following him since the 80’s’ you’re a MUCH bigger expert than someone who read some tweets and FB posts.  Because you’ve read some tweets, FB posts, AND read The Daily Oklahoman.  LOL 

It's One America News. And it was so refreshing. They just report the news. There's no commentary. There's no opinions on this. There's no left. There's no right. They just reported the news. And I've been watching them the last week, because they're given us the news and given us more information — in my opinion — some of the positives are coming out. So, that was refreshing.

Edited by ChiTownDoc

8 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

I like Gundy. College football is better with him in it. But, it's not like some random shirt showed up in the mail. On April 8, 2020 he was critical of the negative reporting of the "mainstream media" regarding Covid. Then, continued with this:

"I tell you what's funny is, I was flipping through stations. I found one—I don't even know if anybody knows about this—it's called OAN. It's One America News. And it was so refreshing. They just report the news. There's no commentary. There's no opinions on this. There's no left. There's no right. They just reported the news. And I've been watching them the last week, because they're giving us the news and giving us more information—in my opinion—some of the positives are coming out. So, that was refreshing."

Two days later, OAN emailed him to send him the shirt and Gundy immediately responded with enthusiasm. 

spacer.png

I don't know how anyone could watch OAN for any amount of time and claim it is not opinion based, but whatever, he made a mistake. It happens. As far as not knowing his position on any political issue, his full April 8, 2020 statement gives a pretty decent look into how he leans, and there's not anything wrong with that, as he's in line with about half the country.

Spoiler

I had (media relations coordinator) Sean (Maguire) ask you guys some of the questions that you might be asking me and, so, maybe I can get those covered up front, and then whatever questions you guys have will be fine. 

“So, I would like to start with, you know, we really have two different situations here. The first being the Chinese virus and all the people that are involved in trying to stop it and help it and so on and so forth. And then I'll get into the second part of some of the questions, which were concerning all the players personnel, budget, things like that. 

“So for me, I'm really proud of the people of Stillwater and Payne County. Obviously statewide, our doctors, nurses, first responders — I've had some videos that have gone out on that — food providers for supply carriers, all the different people that have been talked about by a variety of people over the last two to three weeks. 

“I've watched this really close. I don't pretend to be a doctor. But when you get up early in the morning, and there's not a lot to do, so you start to read and study and realize all the people that have been impacted, and people that are on the frontlines fighting this in a different way than others, I'm very appreciative. We all are very appreciative and supporting all those different people. 

“I think it's important that we continue to stay safe. Everybody's getting a little bit of cabin fever. Obviously, I'm not a guy that likes to stay home. My ranch has helped me. I've been able to farm which has kept me busy, but I have teenage boys at the house and it's not easy to keep young people at home. But I think we have to follow what the President says. We stay our distance, continue to stay home, unless we really need to be out. You know, the washing hands, don't touch face.

“I think it's important that we continue to stay safe. Everybody's getting a little bit of cabin fever. Obviously, I'm not a guy that likes to stay home. My ranch has helped me. I've been able to farm which has kept me busy, but I have teenage boys at the house and it's not easy to keep young people at home. But I think we have to follow what the President says. We stay our distance, continue to stay home, unless we really need to be out. You know, the washing hands, don't touch face.

“And on a national level, the President and his force that we're seeing every day, they're doing a great job. There's no way that he could have prepared for this. There's no way the governors could have prepared for this. State officials. 

“So, I'm proud of Oklahoma for not doing finger pointing. It is what it is. At this point, we all need to work together and be problem solvers instead of problem creators, and just move forward and do the best we can. Maybe we can be better prepared for something like this later. 

“But there's not any leader that could have prepared for what we're going through right now, in no way shape or form. You know, you watch the national news just like I do, and you see people saying, ‘Well, we need more of this. We need more of that.’ Well, they're trying to do the best they can, but ultimately, to a certain extent, as a state, we're responsible for ourselves. Governor Stitt’s responsible for the state of Oklahoma. The governor of Nebraska, the governor of Michigan, the governor of California, governor of New York, they're responsible for their own state. They could have loaded up on things like everybody else. But none of us did it. It didn't happen. Let's do what we can to make it better. 

“So, you know, it's interesting as I have watched the mainstream media over the last three weeks. I understand the medical officials somewhat need to give us a worst case scenario, and we all have to listen to them because they know way more than we do. But I think we're getting to a point now, where I would like to see some of the results where I saw a couple days ago where in New York 75% of the patients that have been hospitalized are now released. I'm seeing total number of cases, but what I'm not seeing is how many number of those cases that are now back to a normal life. Those are some of the numbers that I would like to see because we need to start instilling and putting some positive comments into what's going on with this virus, because I think there is a lot of people that are doing much better now. The drugs that are out — the three drugs, supposedly if it's true — I'm reading where those drugs are working. People are getting the virus, they're getting over it, they're back out there in public, they have the antibodies, they can help fight it, you know, the mainstream of people that are healthy enough to fight this. 

“So, it was really interesting to me to see with the mainstream media. sadly enough, just how negative everybody can be. And let's just report the news. Let's start putting some things in there that are positive, because I know there's positive out there. I've talked to people that are working in the medical field, they're hands on, they're in these hospitals, they're in these doctors offices, they're seeing us recover from this. We're not hearing any of that. 

“And so my personal opinion is from the mainstream media, I'm a little disappointed in all the negativity, for whatever reason. I don't know if it's politically driven or not. But I think it's time to start talking about some of the positives of what the people are doing to make it better, and the medical support and the reading in the study and the emergency release of the FDA products to try to get some drugs back to help people. So, that's my personal opinion. Everybody has a right to an opinion. My opinion is let's start getting some of the positive things out as we continue to fight this. Now, I know medical professions have to keep the danger out there so people will stay home. I'm not disagreeing with that. But I just haven't been real happy with the mainstream media and the way they've handled that.

“I tell you what's funny is, I was flipping through stations. I found one — I don't even know if anybody knows about this — it's called OAN. It's One America News. And it was so refreshing. They just report the news. There's no commentary. There's no opinions on this. There's no left. There's no right. They just reported the news. And I've been watching them the last week, because they're given us the news and given us more information — in my opinion — some of the positives are coming out. So, that was refreshing.

“But that's enough of that for me with the virus, people taking care of themselves, how proud we are of everybody working but I think it's time to start saying — like, we've got around 1,300 cases give or take in the state of Oklahoma that have been positive for the virus. I want to know how many of those now are out of the dark. I don't know how many is it. So, people talk about around 350 being hospitalized in the state of Oklahoma. How many of those are out of the hospital? I mean, what are we down to now? Is there 100 people in the hospital? Is there 150 people in the hospital? How many of the 1,300 now are free of the virus? Those are the numbers that I want to see, so we can start to instill confidence in the people of the state of Oklahoma and across the country, so we can get through this and get moving and get back to an every-day normal life. 

“Our players, our players are doing very well. Our administration asked me to keep the players at home if possible, if they have somewhere to be that they were safe, because it was better that they would be home with family versus being on campus. So, we have around 105 players that are here in the spring and we only have three that are here on campus right now. So, we as a football staff that follow those guidelines. Our players are home. 

“As you know, our coaches have had the ability to meet with our players from a football standpoint through Zoom and maybe different apps. I'm not sure what all the different apps are called, but I know Zoom is popular. We're meeting with our guys. Some are meeting three, some four times a week. I've asked our coaches to not spend more than 30 minutes per meeting, based on I don't think that most of us much less than an 18-, 19-, 20-, 21-year-old Type A, athletic personality can stay tuned into a meeting on Zoom for more than about 30 minutes. So our coaches are keeping up with our players that way. They've done awesome, our coaches have been awesome. The players have been very responsive. 

“So far, we're safe. They’re home taking care of themselves. I'm hoping that they're following the safety guidelines. So, from a football standpoint, our players are getting the information they need, in my opinion, up to this point. Our academic staff with (director of academic services for student athletes) Marilyn Middlebrook, they're awesome. I mean, they’ve just been fantastic. We actually have a better feel now for everything going on academically based on technology. Our players have the ability to go into academic tutoring and counseling sessions with our staff. And we're getting great reports and attendance reports based on how they're tuned into their classes. And I'm not so sure that these reports aren't more accurate now than when we're in school. So, I'm very comfortable with where our team is academically and our academic staff.  Marilyn and them as I said, they're fantastic. They just overwhelmed us with information in the way they're communicating with our players. And they said our players have been very responsive. We have online check-ins. We know where they're at, we know when they're in their tutor sessions. So, I don't feel like our players are being cheated at all academically, thankful to technology we have in society today.

“Strength and conditioning, as you know we have the best strength coach in the country. He's been in touch with our players from Day 1. He's divided our team up amongst his staff. They stay in touch with him, they then have the ability to get gear if they need gear. Most of them don't need gear, they've got tons of things to work out in, but if they need it we can get it to them. Their nutrition has been sent to them, and so it’s on a player basis. Coaches provided them with what they need in all different areas, whether there's facilities to work out or it's at home stuff, nutrition, gear and we've stayed in touch with them. I've seen posts on Facebooks and Twitters and things like that with them lifting and continuing to train and work. 

“One good thing about Oklahoma State football is our culture is to take care of yourself from the day that a young man walks on this campus until he leaves, we instill in them that we're going to give you way more than you're ever going to get the rest of your life. You're getting a free education, you're getting free food, you’re getting free housing, you're getting free nutrition, you have a nutritionist, you get academic support, you get all the gear you need but you need to learn to take care of yourself. So when you leave here, you're ready to go out in the world, take care of yourself, if you choose to be married, take care of your wife, if you want to have kids take care of your kids. That's what college is all about. We're developing young men. So, our culture has allowed us to let these guys go on their own and take care of themselves. Now, if a guy doesn't want to train, if he doesn't want to run, if he doesn't want to stay in shape, if he doesn't want to keep his strength levels up, you're not gonna do it. You’re not gonna do it anyway. So it is what it is. We'll find out. When we get the players back, you know, three, four weeks, whenever we get them back, we're gonna know who trained and who worked out. They're going to tell us something about themselves and we're going to learn a lot about the culture of Oklahoma State football once our players come back.

“So, our strength staff’s done a fantastic job. They're all over it. I have absolutely zero concerns there at all. Our medical staff, John Stemm, Scott Parker, they're in touch with our players consistently. They're getting information on the virus, on how to stay safe just like you guys are, things to look for. Those that were injured had surgeries and needed to be rehabbed and or the players that just had an injury that were in a rehab format, they have all that information. I was told that every one of them have the ability to rehab just like they would if they were here at whatever location they are. So, those guys have been with me — Stemm and Parker — have been with me, the majority of their medical staff, for a long, long time. So, I have a lot of faith in them and what they're doing, and I don't have any question and all that's being taken care of. 

“So, if there's changes with the virus, our players' health, they're all going to know about it. They're going to know what to do. The schedules with them about when to report back from from all of this, we've been into contact with ‘em and we've discussed it, so as I turn this to our staff, our staff because of technology is working at home exactly like they would be working here, except we're just not in the same room. Everything else is done. We have all the laptops and the computer systems at the house. We have all the cutups, we have all the football from last year from the upcoming season, games we’re gonna play, teams we're gonna play, playbooks. Everything's done. We're doing the same thing, we're just not at work. So, technology has allowed us to continue on as a staff just like we would if we were here working together. And that's really the same thing. Our recruiting staff, they're doing the same thing. Our administrative staff, the workers, the people that are tied into our administration, they're working from home. Everything that needs to be taken care of, they're doing it. 

“So, there's about 100 people that work in our building and all of them are doing something now just like they would be doing, except we're not face-to-face. We have an unbelievable culture in our building and I trust that they're all doing their jobs the best they can, and we'll get back in our building as soon as possible. Everybody's attitude’s good. I mentioned the national media, some of the finger pointing that I see out there makes me upset. Well, we don't have that in our building. The culture that we have the people in this building, there's no finger pointing, OK? We're all trying to work together to make this thing the best that we could make it. So, that's a tribute to the people in our building and I'm very proud of them. 

“So, with the recruiting of the up-and-coming athletes, I know that's going to be some of the questions. We're following the guidelines. In my opinion, those guidelines need to be made faster. Once this virus hit and we said that we had to stay at home, it took 10 days to 12 days before the NCAA or the Power 5 conference commissioners can get together and say, ‘Hey, you guys can meet with your players for two hours a week.’ Well, it needs to happen faster than that. So, we're following guidelines on how we can recruit, different ways we can recruit, text messages, FaceTimes. We could use Zoom, now you can't use Zoom, so that's going back and forth. But everybody needs to be moving faster right now and make quicker decisions, in my opinion. But other than that, we're just following along and whatever guidelines they give us, that's what we're doing. 

“With our staff, I sent out a message a week ago that my goal is May 1. I'm hoping that we have enough tests that are readily available. I'm reading every day where we're mass producing tests. I saw a couple days ago where supposedly they have a 15-minute swab, where you get results really quick. And I would think that, you know, as they take care of the people that need help right now across the country, but with all the different factories and production lines and companies that we have that are making masks and gowns and surgical stuff, and these tests and testing availability, and processing centers — just like the guy the other day from My Pillow, I saw on him on TV and he's taking 75% of the production of his company, he's now making protective equipment. So, there's a lot of smart people in this country that are now working. And I'm thinking in three or four weeks, we could have the test ready available for people that aren't sick, based on, can we test the employees, the hundred people that work in our building, and we can swab them and clear them to come into the building and get back to work. Once we've done that, I'm looking to start testing the players and bring them back. How fast that can happen based on the tests that are available? I can't say right now, but that's the plan. We have to have a plan, and the plan right now is for that to start on on May 1. It might get back two weeks. I don't know, I can't make that call. But if it does, we'll start with the employees in this company, the ones that come in this building. Then we'll bring the players in. Slowly but surely, we'll test them all in. Is it 100%? No, it's not 100%. But there could be people that work in this building that maybe are older, maybe have some type of underlying health condition. Maybe they don't come back. But the majority of the people in this building who are healthy and certainly the 18-, 19-, 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds that are healthy, the so-called medical people that are saying the herd of healthy people that have the antibodies may be built up that can fight this, we all need to go back to work. 

“Now, can somebody get positive while we're working two to three days, a week later? Sure. We quarantine them just like we do people that get the flu. We get people that get the flu during the season, we quarantine them, we treat them, we make sure they're healthy, we bring them back. It would be the same thing here. But at some point, we got to go back to work, we gotta get these guys back in here. Once the medical people say, ‘Look, we can test you. We feel comfortable about this.’ I'm thinking at that time we're going to feel better about drugs that can fight it for the ones that do get it. 

“But from what I read, the healthy people can fight this. The antibodies make it better. They're doing some blood transplants now with people that have already gotten the disease that have gotten over it that have the antibodies that can fight it. So, there's a lot of smart people that are going to figure this out. May 1’s our goal. I don't know if it'll happen. Players come in soon after that. 

“So, if you're wanting to know, that's what the goal is here for Oklahoma State football. After that time, we're all going to try to stay as healthy as possible. So that was my 20-minute opening comments. If you guys have any questions, you can fire away.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Gundy's like a lot of HCs who want you to know--sometimes not so subtley-- that they're the smartest person in the room. His act is to preface a comment with the "I'm just a football coach so what do I know," and then proceeds to pepper his dialogue with all kinds of shots and jabs at reporters designed to make them know that he's in charge and if you want anything more than a wet fart in response to a question you'd better come to understand that.

This is another reason why Stillwater is as good of a fit as he's likely to ever find. OU dominates the sports media coverage in the state, and OKC is barely a top 50 market. Prior to social media explosion, Gundy knew he could say whatever he wanted to a reporter from OKC or Tulsa and it would barely make a ripple. He's now entrenched as One of the Coaches Who Might Say Something Crazy which is why the reporters don't mind baiting him especially after a bad beat. All press is probably good press in Stilly.

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Imagine giving two shits about a free t-shirt a coach wore outdoors once, and also thinking it's a good idea to ask a coach which staff members he's canning five minutes after a loss. 

Yeah…that’s not at all what the reporter asked. He asked him if he anticipated making any staff changes. Completely reasonable question, and if Gundy didn’t want to answer candidly all he had to do was give the same non answer we’ve heard a million coaches give:

”Well, none of those decisions have been made yet. We’re going to do what we always do after the season, sit down and evaluate every part of this program from the top down and we’ll go from there”

Instead of saying that he decided to have a little tantrum. Mainly because he’s a thin skinned asshole who was in his feelings after seeing his team completely crumble over the second half of the season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah…that’s not at all what the reporter asked. He asked him if he anticipated making any staff changes. Completely reasonable question, and if Gundy didn’t want to answer candidly all he had to do was give the same non answer we’ve heard a million coaches give:

”Well, none of those decisions have been made yet. We’re going to do what we always do after the season, sit down and evaluate every part of this program from the top down and we’ll go from there”

Instead of saying that he decided to have a little tantrum. Mainly because he’s a thin skinned asshole who was in his feelings after seeing his team completely crumble over the second half of the season. 

Eh, it was hyperbole. And sure, it's a reasonable question for the reporter to ask given the environment of sports and sports media reporting, I just happen to disagree with that environment existing as it does. Questions as such five minutes (<--also hyperbole, as it's normally somewhere more around 20-30) after a loss, or at any time tbh, rarely if ever generate any answers of substance, and do not really benefit a coach to answer honestly. It's just a meaningless dog and pony show that I believe could be made to provide more relevant content if managed better. 

It was a really nice way of asking "hey, is anyone gonna be held accountable for the dogshit performances that your team has put on the field during the second half of this season?"

He couldn't even handle that. I'd love to see his head explode if someone actually asked him a legitimate hard-hitting question.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

It was a really nice way of asking "hey, is anyone gonna be held accountable for the dogshit performances that your team has put on the field during the second half of this season?"

And as we've learned over the past 70 or so years, coaches don't like talking to reporters about stuff like that. 

Literally the biggest thing that question accomplished was to remind everyone that the HC of Okie Steak once wore an OAN T-Shirt fishing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And as we've learned over the past 70 or so years, coaches don't like talking to reporters about stuff like that. 

Literally the biggest thing that question accomplished was to remind everyone that the HC of Okie Steak once wore an OAN T-Shirt fishing. 

Answering those questions comes with the territory of being a football coach too. Kind of a high stakes job. People are going to ask stuff like that. Maybe be prepared for it. Again, not even really a tough question. At all.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Answering those questions comes with the territory of being a football coach too. Kind of a high stakes job. People are going to ask stuff like that. Maybe be prepared for it. Again, not even really a tough question. At all.

I guess he has changed his tune since he said "Come after me! I'm a man! I'm 40!"  Or maybe he meant that as "Come after me, so that we know who to remove their access to the program they cover."

Are you kidding me? Where are we at in society today? Come after me! I'm a man! I'm 40! I'm not-- I'm not a kid. Write something about me, or our coaches. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yah, you're missing my entire point I've been trying to make in my replies here. Yes, it comes with the territory. But should it? No. The majority of the time (basically always), no coach is going to give any useful information for such a question, just an empty quote a journalist can fill a report with. Filler. Sure, there's different ways to correctly answer that question: "Like every offseason, we're going to sit down and evaluate everything, from staff to players, where we got better during the season, things we can get better at, and then go from there." That's a correct answer. Also, absolutely zero useful information. No value whatsoever outside of giving a journalist/reporter extra words to fill paper/air time with. It's a joke and has been. 

I guess if you like such wisdom as, "we're gunna work on it,"/"we gotta try harder."/"that one's one me."/"gotta play better." yada yada presser after presser, week after week, then I probably won't change your mind. 

Yah, you're missing my entire point I've been trying to make in my replies here. Yes, it comes with the territory. But should it? No. The majority of the time (basically always), no coach is going to give any useful information for such a question, just an empty quote a journalist can fill a report with. Filler. Sure, there's different ways to correctly answer that question: "Like every offseason, we're going to sit down and evaluate everything, from staff to players, where we got better during the season, things we can get better at, and then go from there." That's a correct answer. Also, absolutely zero useful information. No value whatsoever outside of giving a journalist/reporter extra words to fill paper/air time with. It's a joke and has been. 

I guess if you like such wisdom as, "we're gunna work on it,"/"we gotta try harder."/"that one's one me."/"gotta play better." yada yada presser after presser, week after week, then I probably won't change your mind. 

But if that is the reasoning, why even have media availability at all.  We might as well just wait until Oklahoma makes a press release.  I'm sure that is what coaches would prefer.

20 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

But if that is the reasoning, why even have media availability at all.  We might as well just wait until Oklahoma makes a press release.  I'm sure that is what coaches would prefer.

I won't pretend to have the perfect answers, I just think it could use a change. I think the media availabilities should be fewer, and a bit more regulated. Right now you have a coach talking after the game on the field. After the game at the podium. Then Monday. During the week/Friday. Then on the phone with the opposing media/national etc... Anything of substance (mainly injuries, starter changes etc...) can be updated by the team in media releases etc..  With fewer availabilities, maybe journalists will ask better questions more consistently. Pay attention to questions that have already been asked. And also maybe the coaches will be more willing to give better answers because they're not tired of talking to the media every other day (it seems).

Talk to the winning coach and a player or two coming off the field. No need to talk to a losing coach/player until the next day/following Monday. 

As a Texans fan, I can only listen to Lovie Smith say "we've got to learn how to finish" so many times on Sunday. Monday. Wednesday etc... He's not lying, they need to learn how to finish, so he's probably going to say it a lot. Then I have to listen to the sports media criticize him "ughhh I wish he'd say something else." Same. Same. 

Edited by UncleBuck

18 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I won't pretend to have the perfect answers, I just think it could use a change. I think the media availabilities should be fewer, and a bit more regulated. Right now you have a coach talking after the game on the field. After the game at the podium. Then Monday. During the week/Friday. Then on the phone with the opposing media/national etc... Anything of substance (mainly injuries, starter changes etc...) can be updated by the team in media releases etc..  With fewer availabilities, maybe journalists will ask better questions more consistently. Pay attention to questions that have already been asked. And also maybe the coaches will be more willing to give better answers because they're not tired of talking to the media every other day (it seems).

Talk to the winning coach and a player or two coming off the field. No need to talk to a losing coach/player until the next day/following Monday. 

As a Texans fan, I can only listen to Lovie Smith say "we've got to learn how to finish" so many times on Sunday. Monday. Wednesday etc... He's not lying, they need to learn how to finish, so he's probably going to say it a lot. Then I have to listen to the sports media criticize him "ughhh I wish he'd say something else." Same. Same. 

Maybe I do not realize how much media availability coach Gundy does.  Does he have multiple availabilities during the next couple of weeks.  If so, then maybe the question could be asked at one of those sessions.  My understanding is that this is likely the last media availability until he likely does one after signing day in early February.  If that is the case, my guess is that he would come up with some rant about how that was about these kids big day following their dreams and the reporter should not be soiling their big day by asking questions at that time.

6 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Oh let's not forget this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/13/okla-state-coach-mike-gundy-blames-liberalism-snowflake-millennial-college-athletes-transferring-schools/

Gee I fucking wonder what the political leanings of a dude that talks like that are. It's a god damn mystery.

E: And don't forget his retarded COVID tirade 

Oh I guess we do know his political leanings after all.  Not just a fishing shirt

15 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Maybe I do not realize how much media availability coach Gundy does.  Does he have multiple availabilities during the next couple of weeks.  If so, then maybe the question could be asked at one of those sessions.  My understanding is that this is likely the last media availability until he likely does one after signing day in early February.  If that is the case, my guess is that he would come up with some rant about how that was about these kids big day following their dreams and the reporter should not be soiling their big day by asking questions at that time.

Again, I'm not saying Gundy handled things correctly here. I'm not really speaking about Gundy much at all. I just think there are two things here. One: it's silly that there is an expectation that these questions be asked at all knowing we're not going to get anything of substance in response, as it relates to the team and the actual question. Two: It's just common sense that such a question being asked at that time and in that situation might receive a more hostile answer than after a day or two. It's not important to me whether he has another media availability in the next couple of weeks or not, my point with that shouldn't be asked then (in a perfect world). Have a big ole post-season press conference a week later and ask it then (if you really feel you have to). 

Edited by UncleBuck

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeppirs. During an interview a while back, I asked an SID about something our readers were asking about(btw, it was kinda stoopid.) He said, "Why do people have such an irrational interest in this?" 

I told him, "If people didn't have an irrational interest in the program, your coach wouldn't make $5 million a year."

By the way, the TL;DR on this whole overlong post is "They're a bunch of homogenized control freaks who see the press as advertisers they don't have to pay." 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I won't pretend to have the perfect answers, I just think it could use a change. I think the media availabilities should be fewer a bit more regulated. Right now you have a coach talking after the game on the field. After the game at the podium. Then Monday. During the week/Friday. Then on the phone with the opposing media/national etc... Anything of substance (mainly injuries, starter changes etc...) can be updated by the team in media releases etc..  With fewer availabilities, maybe journalists will ask better questions more consistently. Pay attention to questions that have already been asked. And also maybe the coaches will be more willing to give better answers because they're not tired of talking to the media every other day (it seems).

Colleges are circling the wagons. Ten years ago, getting a one on one interview with a coach or player was easy. B12 Media Days, they'd have five teams each day, and a coach and five players from each team. In the afternoon, they'd have a three hour session, and you could go to thirty different tables and ask questions unsupervised by the college corporate mouthpiece. Sometimes there'd be five or six reporters around a table, but you could frequently get one on ones with guys like linebackers or safeties and have some actual conversations and get real answers and viewpoints.

Today, nah. Fewer players, and all the interviews are one at a time with the corporate handler. Strict fifteen minutes, twenty or so journalists. You might get one question in and lotsa fuckin luck getting a follow up if they dodged the first one. They're so wholly coached on what to say that you know you're going to get the same answer from every one of them. There are two paid dicksuckers to ask softball questions that were probably pre-arranged, cause the answers are way too scripted to be off the cuff. 

IF you see one on one interviews today, know that just about every question and answer is as scripted as an episode of Property Brothers

@UncleBuck, they control the shit out of access. During spring ball and fall camp, you get fifteen minutes to do "B-roll" at the start of practice. WOW! Fifteen whole minutes of watching wind sprints and jumping jacks. First whistle, when they actually start practicing, everybody out except for the "in house" reporters, who clear everything before they write anything. They will never give out any injury information except in response to a direct question. The two deep they give out is usually worthless. Sometimes they don't even change them. I had one where a guy that missed the last ten games of the season with a concussion was listed as the starter every week. 

The reason they have so many interviews with coaches is because they need the content. It's a 24 hour media cycle. There are 8,760 hours in a year. A college team playing fourteen games at roughly four hours a game is 56 hours. Actual snap to whistle in a game is about eleven to fifteen minutes of action per game. That's a little less than three hours of actual game footage per team per year. They have to have something to fill that content, and interviews with losing coaches are some of the most entertaining dramedy to come out of sports. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

The reason they have so many interviews with coaches is because they need the content. It's a 24 hour media cycle. There are 8,760 hours in a year. A college team playing fourteen games at roughly four hours a game is 56 hours. Actual snap to whistle in a game is about eleven to fifteen minutes of action per game. That's a little less than three hours of actual game footage per team per year. They have to have something to fill that content, and interviews with losing coaches are some of the most entertaining dramedy to come out of sports. 

So what you're saying is that.... they need the filler? As I've already said a few times here? Yes, I absolutely understand that. They'll have to work a lot harder to pump out content without all of the cliches and coach speak etc..  -->World's smallest fiddle and such.<--

Touche to your point about the great moments we've gotten from some of these pressers. It also goes to my point that it's not of any substance as it relates to the actual question or the team itself. But I'll give you that one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He’s usually more open in his press conferences than most coaches. He was obviously irritated. Probably from having to deal with the portal nonstop for the last month and his team playing like shit for the last 3 months. He should deal with it better though, it’s part of making $7 mil a year. I think it’s more likely that he knows who he’s gotta fire and hates that part of the job. Either way, that’s why you get paid a ton, have your one sentence coach speak response ready and move on.

On 12/28/2022 at 2:05 PM, Plorant said:

The guy has an amazing career record at a difficult school to win consistently at.  They were 12-2 last year.  This season was bad.  I wouldn't count them out this soon.  Although, it does appear that something has gone really wrong there.  It'll be interesting to watch.   

The season was bad because of an unprecedented amount of injuries decimating the roster.

We had 16 of 22 starters miss games this year, including our most important player by far (Spencer Sanders)

The last game the team played when it was relatively healthy, we lost in double-OT on the road to a team that’s in the CFP… and we had a 2 TD lead on them in the 4th quarter.

Even if JUST Spencer Sanders stays healthy this year, even with all of the other injuries, the team is likely 9-3 at worst heading into its bowl game with a shot at another 10-win season.

If Gundy gets the right QB in the portal and we stay healthy next year we’ll win 9-10 games again and be in contention for the Big 12 title. Mark it down.

(If we don’t get an experienced QB in the portal, it’ll probably be another 7-5 type season.)

Edited by oSuJeff97