Game Day Menu 2022

RollLeft

9 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

It seems wings are the #1 request at my place for this weekend.  Give me your best sauce(s) and dips.  TIA.  

My wing sauce is to combine:

Frank's Red Hot

Melted Butter (I stick with Kerrigold Unsalted)

Lemon Pepper

Cavender's Greek Seasoning 

Make sure to double-fry the wings with at least a 5 minute rest between frying. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

It seems wings are the #1 request at my place for this weekend.  Give me your best sauce(s) and dips.  TIA.  

I go Franks, melted butter and brown sugar. If you want to kick up the heat, add some cayenne or red pepper flake.

Also... I had the best wings in my life in Milwaukee a few weeks back and they fry them and then marinate in wing sauce overnight (or for a couple of days). When they are ready to serve they put them on the grill to heat them up and the sauce caramelizes a bit. I'm giving that a shot this year. They were outstanding.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I need some ideas.  You guys always bring it.  Go!  

I plan on keeping it simple:

• Beer, plenty of it, chilled as damn close as I can get it to "ice cold."
  • Chips, of multiple varieties, coated with several variants of flavor dust, to serve as a delivery vehicle for... 
  • Queso, guac, and salsa.
  • Grilled hot dogs and brats.

Never had any complaints about any of the above culinary items.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 hours ago, RollLeft said:

One of our family favorites is a marinade.  Get a large Ziploc and load it up with your wings.  Then pour in enough Worcestershire to cover, and generously spoon in Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.  Let it sit overnight in a baking dish to contain any leaks, turn it a couple times to ensure complete saturation, and grill the next day.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Whatever the buffet is serving in the South End Zone. /ducks

Not much of a fan of cooking wings at home, so can't help in regards to any sauces. But man, it's hard to go wrong with a spread of brauts. Roasted corn for my wife would be happening. I'm generally a big fan of providing a spread of something like brauts and burgers and letting folks build their own plates. 

For those of us without a smoker, and who are inherently lazy, I might suggest a some sous vide recipes for folks. You can reverse sear and cook a mean fucking tri-tip and make some great fajitas. It can all be done well before gametime and when you're ready all you have to do is slice the meat. 

If anyone was doing something in an instant pot, I can't recommend this enough. It's a dip, but I'll be damned if I haven't cooked up a giant vat and eaten it as tacos for a week at a time:
https://www.skinnytaste.com/lighter-buffalo-chicken-dip/

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not much of a fan of cooking wings at home

I used to do wings in the oven and they were fine, but I got an air fryer for my last birthday and it's been a game changer for wings (I'm sure a deep fryer is even better, but that seems like too much for clean up).  The only problem with an air fryer is the capacity is a bit limited, so you can't make wings for a huge group, unless you make several batches and keep them warm in the oven.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jeevsie said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bfc27296hxuyfnp40wy5

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah - get that Cali bullshit out of here. 

Shark Tank Writing GIF

Keep in mind I specified something to cook in a Sous Vide. Which you wouldn't fucking do with a skirt steak because it would take like half an hour. So your options are pretty limited for meat choice, you fucking clowns. 

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I used to do wings in the oven and they were fine, but I got an air fryer for my last birthday and it's been a game changer for wings (I'm sure a deep fryer is even better, but that seems like too much for clean up).  The only problem with an air fryer is the capacity is a bit limited, so you can't make wings for a huge group, unless you make several batches and keep them warm in the oven.

Air fryer wings are the way to go. Limited prep, effort and cleanup, and it takes about 20 minutes. I dab em up with some cooking spray before putting them in the air fryer. Not necessary, but I’ll preheat it to 400 or so before I toss them in for extra crispy.

I do premade sauces because I’m lazy, and HEB has some good ones. When I’m hosting people I’ll buy bottled sauce from pluckers to toss them in after.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Keep in mind I specified something to cook in a Sous Vide. Which you wouldn't fucking do with a skirt steak because it would take like half an hour. So your options are pretty limited for meat choice, you fucking clowns. 

I know you know where you're posting. 

On 8/31/2022 at 10:08 AM, Enchubben said:

Air fryer wings are the way to go. Limited prep, effort and cleanup, and it takes about 20 minutes. I dab em up with some cooking spray before putting them in the air fryer. Not necessary, but I’ll preheat it to 400 or so before I toss them in for extra crispy.

I do premade sauces because I’m lazy, and HEB has some good ones. When I’m hosting people I’ll buy bottled sauce from pluckers to toss them in after.

Amazon.com : Cornhusker Kitchen Gourmet Duck Fat Spray Cooking Oil Bottle -  All Natural Foods Gluten-Free Organic Lard Unsaturated Fat Spray Oil -  Non-Stick Cooking, Baking Butter Spray, Grill Oil Spray -

• Hook 'Em 1

The nice thing about sous vide is you can leave the beef in there for quite some time to tenderize. So, yes, I totally would sous vide some skirt steak.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

I’m pulling out a old simple classic I haven’t done in a while.  Velveeta cheese, spicy breakfast sausage and hot rotel cheese dip. Probably smoke some wings also and whatever catches my eye at the meat market here in a few. 

I got the same plan myself.  What are we doing for Sunday?

I'll be at different meat market than what LW Goatman is thinking.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:
On 8/31/2022 at 10:07 AM, SydneyCarton said:

The nice thing about sous vide is you can leave the beef in there for quite some time to tenderize. So, yes, I totally would sous vide some skirt steak.

This.  I’ve done it and it takes several hours in the water bath for the skirt steak to get tender.  Maybe it goes quicker if you marinate the meat and then sous vide it, but I haven’t had good results with the sous vide when the meat had been marinated.  In any event, I think fajitas are better cooked the traditional way—marinate for a few hours and then grill on a hot fire.  

• Hook 'Em 1

For the ULM game last night, we didn’t bother to cook but mdmost picked us up some Cajun po boys and gumbo. Tasty.

f7818fc831d045d96b94993259e56c87.jpg

While I hate 11am games, the upside of the early Bama start next Saturday is that my wife will once again make us her Juan in a Million inspired breakfast tacos.

5117e01c8978865083360b9a81f6e0b6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1