Cent. Mich. @ No. 12 Oklahoma State (Thurs. Sept 1, 6:00 pm, FS1)

'stache

9 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

I know they're dominating... but osu defense definitely looking like they took a step back after losing their DC.

I mean, it’s probably less about the DC and more about losing the starting LBs and secondary.

But also I’m not making judgments after one half. The defense last year didn’t look dominant until about game 4-5.

• Like 1

Yeah I dunno…have given up trying to predict a season and just go along for the ride.  Beat Missouri State, Tulsa and Boise last year by like two touchdowns.  We went 3-8, 3-8, 4-7, 5-6 my four years in Stillwater.  

All I know is I’m done playing CMU.  Apparently the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down and I’ll be happy not playing the Gitche Gumes anymore if it can be helped.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I dunno…have given up trying to predict a season and just go along for the ride.  Beat Missouri State, Tulsa and Boise last year by like two touchdowns.  We went 3-8, 3-8, 4-7, 5-6 my four years in Stillwater.  

All I know is I’m done playing CMU.  Apparently the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down and I’ll be happy not playing the Gitche Gumes anymore if it can be helped.  

Yeah this game was like a weird funhouse version of last year’s first 3 games, with the exception of the actual outcome never really being in doubt.

It’s like it took OSU fans two years to get used to winning games 24-17 with defense and now everyone is about to collectively wet themselves when we score 58 points and win by two TDs.

• Like 1

When Gundy gets a comfortable lead he puts in the scrubs on defense and then the opponent scores trash points and then everyone flips out because the score was closer than it was supposed to be. 

Maybe we win 11 games this year or maybe we don't. All I'm saying is don't judge us because we gave up trash points in the second half.

2 minutes ago, JMFP said:

When Gundy gets a comfortable lead he puts in the scrubs on defense and then the opponent scores trash points and then everyone flips out because the score was closer than it was supposed to be. 

Maybe we win 11 games this year or maybe we don't. All I'm saying is don't judge us because we gave up trash points in the second half.

Yeah and furthermore, I don’t like to get carried away with pretty much anything that happens in game 1.

That said, I saw plenty of missed assignments among the LBs and secondary that are concerning but probably fixable. We have frankly been spoiled the past few years with Rodriguez and crew back there. There’s a reason that dude is about to be a starter in the NFL as a rookie. He’ll be missed sorely.

I do think CMU has some players also. That QB, RB and the outside receivers were excellent. They were a good first test for our inexperienced back end.

It also is worth noting that really the defense stonewalled them pretty much the entire time the game was even in doubt. 

On the other side of the ball, Sanders and the offense were more than impressive. What they did in the first 2.5 quarters before putting it in cruise control looked very, very good.

I still think the D-Line is excellent and if the LBs and secondary can clean up some stuff this defense can be good enough to complement what I think can be the best OSU offense since Rudolph left.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JMFP said:

The bigger problem is Central Michigan was moving up and down the field in the 1st half as well (265 yards). That wasn't a great defensive effort outside the safety, but you lost your DC and a bunch of veterans, though it looks like you brought back much of the DL.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JMFP said:

I’m only judging out of spite.  Cost me a 2U bet and a 5 team parlay.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I’m only judging out of spite.  Cost me a 2U bet and a 5 team parlay.  

That’s on you for laying down osu to cover in the first game of the season against a bowl team that’s proven they’re not gonna take no shit.  I woulda lost too because I was thinking the under was a safe bet.  That’s why I don’t bet.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JMFP said:

That didn’t stop you from judging us last year.  Doesn’t matter if you play scrubs with a big lead or play scrubs all game, no judging.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The bigger problem is Central Michigan was moving up and down the field in the 1st half as well (265 yards). That wasn't a great defensive effort outside the safety, but you lost your DC and a bunch of veterans, though it looks like you brought back much of the DL.

A big part of their points/yards was the pace at which OSU was playing, especially in the first half. 

Central Michigan had 9 possessions in the first half and netted 15 points. 1.7 points/possession is something that just about any DC would take in a heartbeat.  To demonstrate the stark contrast in how OSU's offensive game plan impacted the defense last night vs. last year, consider last year's Tulsa and Boise games. Tulsa and Boise had 11 and 12 for the full game respectively, barely more than CMU had in the first half.

For the full game, CMU had 17 possessions and netted 2.6 ppp, which is not great, but a huge chunk of that was generated in their last 3 possessions in the 4th quarter when they were down 30 points.  If you take out the garbage time scores, they netted 22 points on 13 possessions (1.69 ppp), which is pretty much in-line with how the defense performed against Tulsa and Boise last year.

I'm not saying everything is fine on defense because it's not. There were lots of missed assignments, especially by the LBs. Some of that is to be expected.  Teams scoring garbage time TDs when they are down huge is also to be expected.

I just think the turbo pace at which OSU was playing last night - which we haven't seen since Mason Rudolph was there - makes the defensive performance look a lot worse than it really was.

10 hours ago, JMFP said:

Lol. You gave up 30 points in the 2nd half. And 265 yards in the first half. It's not like you gave up 2 garbage TDs late.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yea we’re concerned with the defense but as many poke fans have said we always look bad in one way or another in the early non-con and it gets fixed. I expect the same this year, but yeah, always concerned.

Nobody mention the dumbass refs reviewing an interception vs. out of bounds when they had already announced that the play was negated by an offsides penalty? It was a free play which is why Sanders threw it in the first place. They went to replay, over turned the out of bounds, called it an interception, then announced that it was negated by off sides, which they had already announced before the replay. What was the fucking point of the replay? A literal waste of time. They also had to stop multiple times for a “chain malfunction.” Wtf refs?

• Like 1

Watching you guys rationalize that defensive performance into something that is NBD is pretty funny. Been there. I'm sorry, but OSU loses that game if the opposing team is a top 50 national team. That defense looked like absolute hammered shit and got away with CMU's rust in the first half of that game. I knew you'd miss Rodriguez, but holy shit. The LB play was miserable.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Watching you guys rationalize that defensive performance into something that is NBD is pretty funny. Been there. I'm sorry, but OSU loses that game if the opposing team is a top 50 national team. That defense looked like absolute hammered shit and got away with CMU's rust in the first half of that game. I knew you'd miss Rodriguez, but holy shit. The LB play was miserable.

I was on the way back from the lake so I didn’t watch much of it. But my son called who was watching and the first thing he brought up was how bad the linebackers looked. 

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What's there to rationalize? Who is saying NBD? Yeah, it stunk, and we're concerned. But most of us have followed this team long enough to remember looking like shit in the early non con and getting shit fixed. We expect it to be the case again. Last year was one of our best years ever and we started with a 7 pt win against Missouri State, 4 pt win against Tulsa, and 1 pt win against Boise State which required a miracle catch from a walkon late in the 4th. We all thought we were looking at 6-6, ended up 11-2.

The LB and secondary are young and following some of the best units we've ever had. It'll take a little bit of time. CMU had a bunch of dump off shit over the middle to avoid our DL, and we need to get that shit fixed, because teams are going to do that to us all season until we stop it. And yeah, in that fourth quarter, we had a bunch of 2d and 3d stringers in there because we let them back in kinda but they weren't exactly a threat to actually win the game. A few puckered anuses was because of 2016. 

I'd bet money right now that the defense looks drastically better by next Saturday. They're gonna give up more plays and points than last year but I truly think they'll be fine overall. If our offense can stay healthy and perform consistently like last night we'll be fine. Defense had to save us last year by necessity, hopefully the offense holds its own this year. I'm going to wait a few more games before I'm on the ledge about the defense.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What's there to rationalize? Who is saying NBD? Yeah, it stunk, and we're concerned. But most of us have followed this team long enough to remember looking like shit in the early non con and getting shit fixed. We expect it to be the case again. Last year was one of our best years ever and we started with a 7 pt win against Missouri State, 4 pt win against Tulsa, and 1 pt win against Boise State which required a miracle catch from a walkon late in the 4th. We all thought we were looking at 6-6, ended up 11-2.

The LB and secondary are young and following some of the best units we've ever had. It'll take a little bit of time. CMU had a bunch of dump off shit over the middle to avoid our DL, and we need to get that shit fixed, because teams are going to do that to us all season until we stop it. And yeah, in that fourth quarter, we had a bunch of 2d and 3d stringers in there because we let them back in kinda but they weren't exactly a threat to actually win the game. A few puckered anuses was because of 2016. 

I'd bet money right now that the defense looks drastically better by next Saturday. They're gonna give up more plays and points than last year but will be fine. If our offense can stay healthy and perform consistently like last night we'll be fine. Defense had to save us last year by necessity, hopefully the offense holds its own this year.

The rationalizing is thinking it will get fixed because ... last year (and other cycles when you guys shit yourselves in the non-con early). Maybe you're right and I'm hoping you are. I don't dislike OSU and I picked them to make the CFP so fine by me.

That considered, you had an excellent DC, an upperclassman laden squad with years in the system and a special college LB last year. You don't have 3 of those 4 things and whether or not Mason is still an excellent DC is TBD for the 4th thing. Some of this stuff is instinctual. If you weren't focused on it, go back and watch your starting LBs throughout the game. It's not good. But sure, I can see it getting fixed. I've just also seen it when stuff like this doesn't get fixed and it's who a team is all season. 

LOL we'll see you guys.

Like I said, this is a funhouse mirror version of last year.

Go back and look and look at the game threads of the first three games last year and you'll find plenty of gloom and doom and "ZOMG OSU sucks" hot takes and then we finish 12-2 and win the Fiesta Bowl.

I'm not saying that's going to happen this year, I'm just saying that scorching hot takes after one game rarely pan out, especially in our case with Gundy showing time and time again that we can look pretty pedestrian in non-conference games, even with very good teams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL we'll see you guys.

Like I said, this is a funhouse mirror version of last year.

Go back and look and look at the game threads of the first three games last year and you'll find plenty of gloom and doom and "ZOMG OSU sucks" hot takes and then we finish 12-2 and win the Fiesta Bowl.

I'm not saying that's going to happen this year, I'm just saying that scorching hot takes after one game rarely pan out, especially in our case with Gundy showing time and time again that we can look pretty pedestrian in non-conference games, even with very good teams.

Let's be clear here in that my view and Helobious' view are in no way remotely similar.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

True, we couldn’t be more different. None of my playoff picks will be exposed as frauds after just one game. 

It takes a bold, brave man to make meaningless predictions on a football board and to use that opportunity to make the chalk picks for that season and then talk shit about it.

While I find you entertaining as a poster, Helobious, I don't think it is a particularly bad thing to read from you confirmation that we couldn't be more different. I think that's an achievement most of this board would aspire to if we ran a survey.

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It takes a bold, brave man to make meaningless predictions on a football board and to use that opportunity to make the chalk picks for that season and then talk shit about it.

While I find you entertaining as a poster, Helobious, I don't think it is a particularly bad thing to read from you confirmation that we couldn't be more different. I think that's an achievement most of this board would aspire to if we ran a survey.

Big talk from a guy that doesn't keep me up to date on RG Valley football.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This one hurt. I already lose sleep every night knowing that a bunch of sports-obsessed degenerates online think I’m stupid, don’t know how I’ll ever carry on now.