Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That Gardere-to-Walker pass in 1989 happened right in front of me.  The place went nuts.  I was in the first few rows, around the goal line.  I also vividly recall looking straight downfield as OU ran toward us in the first half and their stud RB Mike Gaddis blew out his knee.  It was brutal.  Probably made the difference in the game.

I rushed the field at the end of that one. 

8 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

https://theathletic.com/5107249/2023/12/02/quinn-ewers-texas-football-big-12-championship/

Quinn Ewers fulfills his Texas destiny: Longhorns return to top of Big 12, at last

Reveal hidden contents

By Max Olson

Dec 2, 2023

ARLINGTON, Texas — You’re not going to get tears of joy from Quinn Ewers, nor will you get fiery emotion. After the finest performance and the biggest win of his life, you get the same old Quinn.

As he stepped down from the trophy stage, a Big 12 title belt over his right shoulder, he didn’t glance around with glee to see all those fans in burnt orange partying inside AT&T Stadium. He didn’t respond to a childhood dream come true with childlike wonder. He stayed cool, calm and quiet, more pleased than thrilled.

That’s what it took for Texas to utterly dominate No. 18 Oklahoma State. This 49-21 triumph, the Longhorns’ first Big 12 championship since 2009 as well as its last, was Ewers at his very best. He wanted to go out and show everybody what he looks like when he plays what he calls his “true game.” On Saturday, Ewers was absolutely the truth.

“I told these guys to come out here and play like no one’s seen us play before,” he said. “Show them what Texas football is really about.”

GO DEEPER

Khan: Texas is a champion again, whether headed to the CFP or NY6. And the Horns are here to stay

We were given definitive proof of just how special Texas’ ballyhooed quarterback can be at his best. His career-high 452 passing yards on 35-of-46 passing easily shattered the Big 12 title game record, and four first-half touchdown passes set the tone on a day when the Longhorns had everything to prove and no interest in messing around.

“I thought Quinn was lights out today,” Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said.

On this big-time stage, Sarkisian’s offense turned into a scary symphony. The line kept the quarterback comfortable. The backs could break a big run at any moment. The pass catchers constantly created separation. The head coach was deep in his bag of tricks. The quarterback threw with clinical precision. And there was nothing Oklahoma State could do to stop any of it.

The theme of the day, over and over again: Ewers put the ball where it needed to be and his dudes did the rest. Xavier Worthy turned a quick out into a 54-yard gain. Adonai Mitchell caught an Ewers dime in stride after a filthy double move and went for 62. Tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders was open all day for eight catches and 105 yards. Even their 6-foot-4, 362-pound monster T’Vondre Sweat found a way to get wide open on his goal-line touchdown catch.

Texas’ playmakers combined for 342 yards after the catch Saturday, the most by any offense against a Power 5 defense in college football all season. Ewers connected with nine different players for 18 passes of 10-plus yards. One of the biggest reasons why this team got this far by Year 3 under Sarkisian: Texas has true difference-makers and knows how to use them.

On Monday, the head coach told his team exactly how this game would be won.

“He didn’t want us coming out throwing jabs,” running back Keilan Robinson said. “We gotta come out throwing haymakers and uppercuts. We wanted to end it from the jump. And that’s what we did.”

Quinn Ewers wins the Big 12 x WWE Most Outstanding Player award 🤘 @QuinnEwers @WWE pic.twitter.com/H70FTUvVxP
— Texas Football (@TexasFootball) December 2, 2023

Ewers ensured this game was over well before they hit the fourth quarter. He was the hero without trying too hard to be heroic. When the first read was there, he threw it on time and accurately. When he needed to go through progressions and take his time, not once did he look nervous. That’s what mature quarterback play looks like.

The third-year sophomore has come a long way in his short time at Texas. It was the opportunity for moments like these that made him come home two years ago.

“There’s no better feeling, honestly,” Ewers said, “especially for the guys who just dreamed of playing here and coming to their state. Accomplishing something to this magnitude has been just nothing but a blessing.”

Texas has had 10 different starting quarterbacks since Colt McCoy last led this program to a Big 12 championship in 2009. Each and every one of his successors has been burdened by the weighty expectations of not just being The Guy at Texas but the expectation they needed to ascend to savior-level greatness in order for Texas to get back to contending for national titles.

Ewers, the No. 1 overall recruit in his class out of Southlake Carroll, knew what he was signing up for when he committed to Texas in 2020. He knew how it would look when he decommitted two months later. He knew exactly what it meant to this fan base when he transferred home from Ohio State and finally joined the Longhorns in December 2021.

When a fan base puts all of its hopes and dreams on you, making you an icon before you’ve ever played a snap, praying you become the best they’ve ever seen and judging you harshly if you aren’t, then you better be made of the right stuff. It takes a lot more than just thick skin to deal with it on a daily basis. Early on in their careers, it wasn’t always a ton of fun to be Vince Young or Colt McCoy.

There were times last season when Ewers’ confidence could’ve been seriously shaken. He didn’t look like a five-star when he faced Oklahoma State last October in Stillwater. Texas could’ve run away with that one, too, after rolling to a 31-17 lead in the second quarter. But Ewers didn’t have it on that windy day in Oklahoma. He completed just 19 of 49 passes, lost the lead and tossed two interceptions in the fourth quarter in a 41-34 loss that dropped his team to 5-3. If Texas wins that game, it would’ve played for a Big 12 title.

That low point was still fresh in Ewers’ mind this week as he prepared for revenge. But it was the moment when he messed up Saturday that showed his growth. Ewers, backed up to his own 29-yard line, fired a pass to a wide-open Worthy but couldn’t see Oklahoma State linebacker Nickolas Martin lurking. He took the interception down to the 3-yard line, setting up an easy score to cut the Cowboys’ deficit to 28-14.

A year ago, maybe that’s the play that starts the Texas meltdown. Not this time. Ewers went right back out and guided a 10-play, 82-yard touchdown drive to erase any momentary momentum.

“His response, like it’s been all year, was tremendous,” Sarkisian said.

When faced with the intense pressure of taking on No. 3 Alabama in Tuscaloosa, he stuck to playing his game and lit up the Crimson Tide. When an AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder knocked him out for two games in the middle of the season, he came back ready to thrive. He’s completed 71 percent of his passes for 1,246 yards and eight touchdowns over this defining four-game stretch during which Texas had no room for error.

We’re watching him play with more confidence than ever. When that’s the case, you get a Texas team that can play with anybody. This team sent a clear message Saturday that, if they’re let into the College Football Playoff, they’re going to be a problem.

Three weeks ago, word began to get out starting with a report from Orangebloods.com that there was growing momentum behind Ewers returning to Texas in 2024. Perhaps it was the injury setback. Perhaps it was an assessment of the quarterback draft class and the sense that Ewers wasn’t approaching first-round status. Maybe he’s just having a heck of a time in college.

Many took that revelation as a surprise, believing that Ewers going three-and-pro had been the scripted plan all along. But the journey is never as straightforward as we expect, even for five-star phenoms.

After knocking out the Cowboys and taking home the belt, Ewers didn’t speak on what he plans to do next, nor did anyone ask. Sarkisian did not waste much time stumping for why his team belongs in the top four. Why get worked up about the future when you’re a program that has been chasing this very moment every day since 2010?

The kid whom everyone hoped would put Texas football back on top did just that while playing the best game of his life. This year, the hype was actually real. And after a decade of stumbling, at long last, the Longhorns looked unstoppable.

james corden will my boner ever go away GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

On 12/3/2023 at 7:46 PM, BigHornedLurker said:

He's up there imo , waiting to see final results to form.an opinion on where.  

He's definitely in a grouping of Simms, Colt , Major to me already. I was too young for much before that 

I think he's easily QB3 right now behind VY and Colt . I did love me some Ehlinger but this run is special 

In my life, it's

1. VY

2. Colt

3. Ewers

4. Ehlinger

5. Brown/Applewhite/Simms

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I’m going to eat some crow in here. I ragged on Quinn during a couple games I thought he would choke in. Kid has proven me wrong and I’m damn stoked for it. He’s really evolved this year and I do think whatever he did in the offseason was breakthrough.
LFG!

There’s still some crow to be et but I reckon the funeral is almost over.

18 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

In my life, it's

1. VY

2. Colt

3. Ewers

4. Ehlinger

I still don't get y'all with Applewhite. Everyone liked Major but the idea he would've gotten it done had Simms just gotten out of the way to me is mind boggling. Major struggled just as much as Simms did just in different ways.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 8:44 AM, hornian said:

When he was interviewed about Worthy after the game, I thought he gave a lot more info (e.g., no break, he'll be fine for our next game) on purpose because he knew CFP committee was listening and he didn't want them to knock us for losing a key piece of our offense. 

Stoops did this in 2008. Their star RB, Murray, and DR, Granger, were both injured in their shellacking of Missouri in the B12 CG (that we should have been in). He announced immediately after that they were both fine and would be able to play (there was still one more vote to settle the BCS). 

Neither played against Florida. 

To this day, Sooners use their injuries as an excuse for losing the BCS CG. 

23 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

In my life, it's

1. VY

2. Colt

3. Ewers

4. Ehlinger

I'm good with this.  

You could make an argument for Applewhite/Simms at No. 5 and Brown at No. 6 if you're just looking at career numbers.  But Brown balled out in one of the best games in Texas history (and of current relevance, helped us win the first Big XII title as we just won the last one as a member of the conference), and while Major and Chris were keys in some big victories, none were as significant as the 1996 Nebraska game.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/4/2023 at 7:09 AM, Bodacious Bevo said:

Huh, I didn't know that "maybe we beat them by __ points" was a reference. Just looked it up. TIL.

Quinn Ewers against Bama 2x, OU 2x, UW in the bowl, and OSU in the CCG (6 games total): 

151/211 (71.6%), 1939 yards (9.2 ypa), 13 TDs, 4 INTs, 165.3 rating

Time to catch up on your history kid!

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I still don't get y'all with Applewhite. Everyone liked Major but the idea he would've gotten it done had Simms just gotten out of the way to me is mind boggling. Major struggled just as much as Simms did just in different ways.

Also, despite the perception that Simms was only where he was because of his dad, i've heard that Applewhite's dad was much more meddlesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The 98 win at Nebraska has been forgotten in time but that was the moment, beating them in their house ending their longass home winning streak, that Texas fans knew Brown/Applewhite were the guys

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Oh good. Let's talk about this again.

• Haha 6
  • Prepare your anus 1

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

People throwing out Bobby Lane, Duke Carlisle, etc. I respect it, but they essentially played a different position. I find it tough to compare to the modern era, so James Brown is the cut off for me.  

Bobby Layne didn't. He was our leader in practically every passing category until the 1990s.

Duke? Yeah.

It’s fascinating to look at their career stats-they are nearly identical all across the board.

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Bobby Layne didn't. He was our leader in practically every passing category until the 1990s.

Duke? Yeah.

Sure, until the 90s. And now he's sandwiched between Garrett Gilbert and Tyrone Swoopes for career yards and tied with She Morenz for career touchdowns. Like I said, tough to compare to modern times. 

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Sure, until the 90s. And now he's sandwiched between Garrett Gilbert and Tyrone Swoopes for career yards and tied with She Morenz for career touchdowns. Like I said, tough to compare to modern times. 

Holding numerous NCAA and UT records for 40+ years has to be worth something.

Oh and being a NFL Hall of Fame QB. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Major earned his rep by being skinny and goofy looking and then playing better than expected.  If he was 6’5” he’d have just been another qb whose name is easily forgotten a few years later. 

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

Major earned his rep by being skinny and goofy looking and then playing better than expected.  If he was 6’5” he’d have just been another qb whose name is easily forgotten a few years later. 

LOL

Man some stupid shit gets said about this Simms-Applewhite thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

As it is, it’s only his major knee injuries in successive seasons that seem to have been forgotten.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

As it is, it’s only his major knee injuries in successive seasons that seem to have been forgotten.

You know what gets remembered? Championships and the OU game.

Neither QB ever won a championship...but both of them played OU. One was 2-0 and led a 17 point comeback. The other got outplayed by Nate Hybl.

So, you know, sucks to suck. So maybe don't shit your pants and fall over your jock everytime you see Crimson and Cream and cry everytime you hear Boomer Sooner maybe people might remember you fondly at Texas. Or, failing that, maybe win something.

As it is, even now 20 years later, every time we play OU Chris Simms being humiliated gets played over and over again. That's fun.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

And one of those ints took out the starting running back and one of the best LT in the game.

I honestly don't think Benson was right from that collision with Mike Williams until his junior year.  He was pretty average in 2002.  I heard from someone on the team that he could barely workout that offseason as that hit really fucked his neck and back for awhile.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

It’s fascinating to look at their career stats-they are nearly identical all across the board.

IMO, neither were championship level QBs.  They were more game manager types.  They were roughly equivalent as college QBs. David Ash was trending to being better than both until he got concussed.  Ehlinger was better than both.  Ewers is a damn site better than both.  And neither were in the same fucking universe as Vince/Colt, who were college football gods.

I don't argue over who was better between the two.  Both were above-average college QBs.  Neither were going to carry you to a title.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

To me they were a lot like Thompson-Card except a higher tier. One could look better than the other in relief but as soon as you gave him the reigns the flaws would come out. Chris' problem was the lack of mobility and lack of touch at times. Major just couldn't get the ball where he needed to when it mattered but he was gritty. Neither one was going to win us 12 games.

• Hook 'Em 1

I honestly don't think Benson was right from that collision with Mike Williams until his junior year.  He was pretty average in 2002.  I heard from someone on the team that he could barely workout that offseason as that hit really fucked his neck and back for awhile.

That was probably one of the hardest hits I’ve seen. Especially from an offensive player.

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

You know what gets remembered? Championships and the OU game.

Neither QB ever won a championship...but both of them played OU. One was 2-0 and led a 17 point comeback. The other got outplayed by Nate Hybl.

So, you know, sucks to suck. So maybe don't shit your pants and fall over your jock everytime you see Crimson and Cream and cry everytime you hear Boomer Sooner maybe people might remember you fondly at Texas. Or, failing that, maybe win something.

As it is, even now 20 years later, every time we play OU Chris Simms being humiliated gets played over and over again. That's fun.

Easy to play well vs OU when you already lost 2 games, you've Ricky Williams in the backfield, and John Blake on the headsets across the field. Then you run it back vs a coach in their first season once again having no pressure on you because you'd already lost twice prior to the cotton. Lol

• Hook 'Em 1