Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

39 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I have a bitch for the rest of the year. If Quinn Ewers continues to be so damn inconsistent he is going to ruin our plans for next year. He will not go to the NFL and then we will for sure lose Maalik in December. If Quinn wins out versus Arch due to experience, I do not see it getting any better next year. Ewers has failed to improve his mechanics and he has had two off-seasons to do it. We have seen QBs like Burrow, Young, Jones and others get into a grove by the number of games Ewers has played. This stupid excuse that Gerry keeps using that he is a inexperienced QB does not cut it anymore. Come on Steve are you not the QB whisperer or does he no longer have the time. If that is the case then Milwee has failed to do the job of fixing Ewers. Steve may need to hire the next QB whisperer in a man named Colt.

Dude. The guy is going pro after this year. We just watched Anthony Richardson get drafted 4th overall.

Move on to worrying about something else. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Number of starts doesn't tell the whole story. A couple of years of age and maturity still makes a huge difference at this level. 

So he is immature and that is why he has failed to fix basic footwork? Don't get me wrong I was stoked that he decided to come to Texas. I am stoked every time he makes a nice throw. He grew up a Texas fan I root for the guy.

Maybe it is maturity but some high school kids have very good fundamentals. I only complain about Ewers footwork because I think his other troubles are due to Sark.  I think Sark wants to be way to in control of which play gets run and how it gets run and gives Ewers zero chance to call audibles. To me such lack of flexibility results in lack of focus for Ewers because if you know you can't audible why the hell concentrate so much on what the defense is doing. Sark based on insiders likes it when you go to your first read so what does it matter make robotic reads or look to the sidelines so Sark can tell you what to do. I think Ewers will be at his best when he gets to run more of the show because then he will have to be very focused.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

I think Sark wants to be way to in control of which play gets run and how it gets run and gives Ewers zero chance to call audibles.

98% of college offenses are like this.

I think Ewers will be at his best when he gets to run more of the show because then he will have to be very focused.

This reminds me of the narrative some people tried to say last year during fall camp as he was tossing INT's left and right that he was just "seeing what he could get away with".

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

98% of college offenses are like this.

This reminds me of the narrative some people tried to say last year during fall camp as he was tossing INT's left and right that he was just "seeing what he could get away with".

Well as badly as GDGD was viewed you could tell Applewhite, McCoy and Vince would change calls at the line all the time. Simms did not and got into trouble. I don't see how you got that from what I said so let me say it another way "take the handcuffs off and let him fly".

Well as badly as GDGD was viewed you could tell Applewhite, McCoy and Vince would change calls at the line all the time. Simms did not and got into trouble. I don't see how you got that from what I said so let me say it another way "take the handcuffs off and let him fly".

As I'm sure you've noticed, offensive football in the college game has changed quite a bit since Chris Simms was quarterbacking this team.

You have to earn the right to have the handcuffs taken off. There is nothing Ewers has shown us on a consistent basis to warrant freedom at the LOS and in audibling/calling plays. There are very few QB's in the country who have the freedom to do that.

41 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Quinn is a third year guy who is in his second year starting. And yes, going to OSU still counts as a year of college football even if he didn’t do shit there. 

First year was a fucking useless fiasco, but that’s not unfair. And it’s still disingenuous to compare him to a 5th year guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

As I'm sure you've noticed, offensive football in the college game has changed quite a bit since Chris Simms was quarterbacking this team.

You have to earn the right to have the handcuffs taken off. There is nothing Ewers has shown us on a consistent basis to warrant freedom at the LOS and in audibling/calling plays. There are very few QB's in the country who have the freedom to do that.

Pretty sure Sark said that Ewers pass to AD Mitchell -- one of the best passes we've seen him throw -- when they were backed up against Bama was an audible by Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Reading this thread, we are addressing so much the receivers dropping passes, or Ewers not hitting open receivers, and so many other corporeal, tangible issues.

Perhaps it is something else.

When VY was playing, and game was on the line, we knew ... we knew that his freakish athletic ability would kick in and pull out the game. But, it was more than that. Itwas something intangible... that quality, for lack of a better word, he had "its."

With Colt, when the game was on the line, it was his incredible accuracy, this coolness under fire. When we had to rely on a last minute drive, the vast majority of times ... Colt delivered.  Was he ever a great athlete? NO. But, there was just something intangible about him... he had "It."

With Ewers? A million dollar arm. But, some of the decisions he has made in his life, both big and small, makes us wonder. Makes us question. When Ewers comes into the game, and the game is on the line ... do we get that VY  feeling? Do we get that Colt feeling? Do we really sit back and with great confidence think, "he's got this. We are about to see greatness?"

I can't tell you how much I hope I am wrong on this.. and I am typing this after about 4, 1792 whiskey neats, but I just have never seen that "intangible quality" with Ewers. Yes, last year's Ou game was magical. Same at Bama.

So Ewers ... show us all that I am filled with pablum and smegma from my second ex-wife's vagina.

Show us.

VY wasn't always like that and neither was Colt. Remember Colt circa 2007? Jamaal Charles had to save us several times that year. 2007 Colt threw 18 picks and had us questioning if he would ever make it back to form. Why? Shitty O-line play. Guys coming completely free in his face. Sounds real familiar.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I have a bitch for the rest of the year. If Quinn Ewers continues to be so damn inconsistent he is going to ruin our plans for next year. He will not go to the NFL and then we will for sure lose Maalik in December. If Quinn wins out versus Arch due to experience, I do not see it getting any better next year. Ewers has failed to improve his mechanics and he has had two off-seasons to do it. We have seen QBs like Burrow, Young, Jones and others get into a grove by the number of games Ewers has played. This stupid excuse that Gerry keeps using that he is a inexperienced QB does not cut it anymore. Come on Steve are you not the QB whisperer or does he no longer have the time. If that is the case then Milwee has failed to do the job of fixing Ewers. Steve may need to hire the next QB whisperer in a man named Colt.

Anthony Richardson just got drafted 4th overall after posting 17/9 TD/INT and 53% completion. Quinn will have a much better season and will be picked in the 1st round solely on his measurables. 

Something we should all be watching closely with Hutson out is how opposing defenses attack the right side of the offensive line. If I were a DC, I would be bringing different pressures at Campbell all game long. Communication between Jones and Campbell, as well as Campbell's blitz recognition, needs to improve.

At the end of this sack, Jones is left visibly wondering why Campbell didn't pick up the end when a blitzing LB walked up to the LOS late. Quinn might need to get involved in pointing these out as well.

Edited by MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, it's time for more consistency and a lot more points for the Longhorns offense...  

GEEZ

It's also time for Sarkisian to develop game plans to attack teams instead of just running plays. This is one of the issues I have with Sarkisian the OC and HC, as he might have enough time during a one-week prep to do both.

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's also time for Sarkisian to develop game plans to attack teams instead of just running plays. This is one of the issues I have with Sarkisian the OC and HC, as he might have enough time during a one-week prep to do both.

This is not a shot at you but this seems to be a common narrative where if we struggle it’s because the gameplan sucks or we didn’t gameplan and if we win it’s because the gameplan was awesome!

The other team has scholarship players and gameplans too. We gameplan and have a plan every week. Sark doesn’t just roll out of bed Saturday and throw darts at the play sheet. How do we know when we gameplan vs when we run plays? We only scored 3 points in the first few drives against Bama. Is that because the gameplan and script sucked or since we won it was okay?

Our gameplan to attack the weakest part of the Wyoming defense (the secondary) seemed like a solid plan to me. Our strength vs their weaknesses. Football 101. Wyoming had a decent gameplan and countered us. Again, football 101. Does the fact the execution wasn’t there mean we didn’t gameplan at all? 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

We haven't exactly played any dogshit (we thought Rice was and then they beat Cougar High) teams so far.  So far, every team we've played has 1 loss and it's to us.

We are continually fucking ourselves in the ass just like last year, but the difference is that guys are starting to step up with the game on the line and MAKE A FUCKING PLAY this year.

We definitely aren't the number 3 team in the country, but if we can continue to improve and knock off some of this silly shit the sky is the limit.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

We haven't exactly played any dogshit (we thought Rice was and then they beat Cougar High) teams so far.  So far, every team we've played has 1 loss and it's to us.

We are continually fucking ourselves in the ass just like last year, but the difference is that guys are starting to step up with the game on the line and MAKE A FUCKING PLAY this year.

We definitely aren't the number 3 team in the country, but if we can continue to improve and knock off some of this silly shit the sky is the limit.

Based on what’s actually happened on the field this season, having Texas #3 isn’t that outrageous. Hell, if we’re ranking based on results, Washington should probably be #1 at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Based on what’s actually happened on the field this season, having Texas #3 isn’t that outrageous. Hell, if we’re ranking based on results, Washington should probably be #1 at the moment. 

I agree with your assessment.  I expect every game to be a dogfight until we stop stepping on our dicks so much.  If we just reduced it to half the time we could run a few of these teams out the fucking stadium in the first half and just grind them up in the second half.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

I agree with your assessment.  I expect every game to be a dogfight until we stop stepping on our dicks so much.  If we just reduced it to half the time we could run a few of these teams out the fucking stadium in the first half and just grind them up in the second half.

Agreed. It’s frustrating when it feels like Texas would be thrashing people just by making the plays that are actually already there to be made but aren’t being made. Admittedly, though, it’s less frustrating from the +21 point side of the scoreboard than has been the case in the recent past. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I’ll save you the worry.  

1) He’s gonna go cause he’ll get drafted on potential alone. 

2) Maalik is gonna be gone next year anyways.   Arch will start for us next year.  It’ll be as set in stone as Quinn has been the last two years.  There wasn’t a QB competition last year, this year or next year.  If you think the kid with Manning on his jersey isn’t gonna start and Texas is gonna let him transfer out, you’re fucking crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I’ll save you the worry.  

1) He’s gonna go cause he’ll get drafted on potential alone. 

2) Maalik is gonna be gone next year anyways.   Arch will start for us next year.  It’ll be as set in stone as Quinn has been the last two years.  There wasn’t a QB competition last year, this year or next year.  If you think the kid with Manning on his jersey isn’t gonna start and Texas is gonna let him transfer out, you’re fucking crazy. 

This seem correct to me, but we'll still have the kabuki theater of a QB competition with all the attendant sturm und drang on this board. Twitter will go nuts with it. Ketch will claim Maalik is better but the boosters demanded Arch.

I just hope that Maalik gets to put out a little tape in blowouts this year and finds a good landing spot. He's a great kid and that can get lost in all the bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just for comparison, on sports-reference, Colt's passing efficiency ratings were 161.8/139.2/173.8/147.4.

Quinn is currently at 160.2 this season.

I'm not aware of how predictive those ratings are, but Colt's numbers definitely jibe with my recollection about how effective he was in his 4 seasons as a starter.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just for comparison, on sports-reference, Colt's passing efficiency ratings were 161.8/139.2/173.8/147.4.

Quinn is currently at 160.2 this season.

I'm not aware of how predictive those ratings are, but Colt's numbers definitely jibe with my recollection about how effective he was in his 4 seasons as a starter.

The offensive lines in 2007 and 2009 really struggled and that is reflected in those stats.

I don't know what happened in 2008 but for one season that group could pass protect at a high level. Still couldn't block for crap in the run game, but they could pass protect. 

One of the things that amazed me during post-2005 Mack Brown is that the offensive line was perennially one of the weak links (and in 2009 THE weak link) on the team and he rarely even talked about it much less did anything about it. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

We are converting just under 38% on 3rd down, good for #84 in the country. Kansas and OU are #1 and #2 at 66%. 😳

This isa reflection of what many people have talked about in here. 3rd down conversions are generally a reflection of 1st and 2nd down success. Texas averaged 3rd and 8. 5 vs Rice. Numbers will get better, if Texas cleans up the pre-snap penalties, drops, missed passes, or finds a consistent run game. Getting behind the chains makes offense hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The offensive lines in 2007 and 2009 really struggled and that is reflected in those stats.

I don't know what happened in 2008 but for one season that group could pass protect at a high level. Still couldn't block for crap in the run game, but they could pass protect. 

One of the things that amazed me during post-2005 Mack Brown is that the offensive line was perennially one of the weak links (and in 2009 THE weak link) on the team and he rarely even talked about it much less did anything about it. 

In 08 we figured out the 4 wide put Ship in the slot thing amd it took teams most of the season to adjust. Once they did 09 happened but the defense was Stellar so no matter. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Well, aren't you just a ray of sunshine. You must be a blast a parties.

I Am Broken Too Mental Health GIF by Killswitch Engage

Every time I see @6th Street post, it is some sad sack bullshit. Being a bigger doomer than Satya is a high bar to clear, but he does it with ease. I genuinely think he roots for the team to fail so he can be right about how much Ewers and Sark suck. 

giphy.webp

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

According to Babers, when teams use the 3-3-5 flyover in the NFL, the opposing teams just ram it down their throat with the run game.  Hopefully our run game is improving so we can do the same effectively.

That worked well for Tom Herman vs ISU or Sark vs TCU. 

Edited by Codaxx

15 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

According to Babers, when teams use the 3-3-5 flyover in the NFL, the opposing teams just ram it down their throat with the run game.  Hopefully our run game is improving so we can do the same effectively.

I know this may not be the point you were making, but Baylor doesn't even major in the 3-high safety defense. At least not close to the level of a TCU, Iowa State, K-State, etc. They do a lot of 3-down lineman stuff with an overhang defender. They did their damage against us last year with the games and stunts they played up front.

But we did run it down their throats in the 4th quarter once we got into the bigger sets.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, westexhorn said:

I heard that too, but he's contradicting himself a little bit. He's previously described the 3-3-5 as a "bear trap" where the scheme invites you to run to it can crash down on you with safeties. He says that's how TCU shut down the run for us last season. I'm sure there's nuance that I don't appreciate, but it seems like the 3-3-5 has the personnel of a pass defense with the concepts and assignments of a run defense. All of that depends on having aggressive DBs, especially safeties, who like to play downhill. 

I don't have an answer to how we consistently beat the 3-3-5, but for me the real question is - does Baylor have the personnel to effectively run that defense? Do they have safeties who can stop the run? If not, then running the ball seems like the answer. If they have the personnel, then who knows. Throw it to Worthy in the flat and let him be the fastest guy. 

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Something we should all be watching closely with Hutson out is how opposing defenses attack the right side of the offensive line. If I were a DC, I would be bringing different pressures at Campbell all game long. Communication between Jones and Campbell, as well as Campbell's blitz recognition, needs to improve.

At the end of this sack, Jones is left visibly wondering why Campbell didn't pick up the end when a blitzing LB walked up to the LOS late. Quinn might need to get involved in pointing these out as well.

This one really bothered me so I went back and watched it multiple times. I don't know this was all Campbell's fault nor do I the assignments. But, the reason Campbell didn't block the DE is because he was lined up to block the DT down in the 4 pt stance. It just so happens the DT twisted to the other side leaving Campbell no one to block and he didn't react quick enough to move over and get the DE. I'm sure he thought Jones had the DE and be the time he realized Jones went for the LB the DE was already past.

It seems to me like the best call would be for Jones to block the DE, Campbell to rotate over with the DT and for the RB (Brooks) to pick up the LB. But again, I don't know the calls and obviously I don't know what they were supposed to do, but I also know it has to be very tough to move from blocking the DT over to the DE. It just seems like following the DT to the other side would be easier. I would like to know what's Flood is teaching. Maybe someone who knows more about line strategy can enlighten me. But at this point I don't believe it was all Campbell's fault.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

Hell yeah to this. That amoeba fake pressure front is gimmicky as hell. All you have to do is pound it into submission with your better athletes and teams will cut that shit right out.

5 hours ago, MrBig said:

Quinn is a third year guy who is in his second year starting. And yes, going to OSU still counts as a year of college football even if he didn’t do shit there. 

year 1 learning at the greatest qb factory in america. 
year 2 starter for a supposed “qb whisperer”  

year 3 with supposedly the best wr corp since Roy-Sloan-BJ….he should be neck to neck with Caleb Williams in the heisman discussion, not having internet folks scrutinizing his footwork and wondering if he’s afraid of contact. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

year 1 learning at the greatest qb factory in america. 
year 2 starter for a supposed “qb whisperer”  

year 3 with supposedly the best wr corp since Roy-Sloan-BJ….he should be neck to neck with Caleb Williams in the heisman discussion, not having internet folks scrutinizing his footwork and wondering if he’s afraid of contact. 

I mean...

image.png.aaadbcd9dd186d524902e31ac1ec799b.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Hell yeah to this. That amoeba fake pressure front is gimmicky as hell. All you have to do is pound it into submission with your better athletes and teams will cut that shit right out.

Every DC is going to go after the guards in pass pro. Its hard to run complex pressure packages when it is 2nd 6 or 3rd and 3. Texas cant find themselves in a lot fo of 3rd and 8s like the Rice game. Until Quinn and the OL grown up, the best way to protect them is to stay ahead of the chains. 

• Rage+1 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet