Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Back in normal times, we just kind of understood that this is exactly how shit works. We used to understand that starting a 19yo quarterback was bad because 19yo quarterbacks aren't ready to dominate complex, high-speed, elite D1 play.

We would want guys to redshirt, then play backup to upperclassmen so that they could learn all this shit out of the spotlight.

But here, if a 19yo sucks, he's doomed forever. And we'll just look to the next 19yo.

lol

Exactly.  I think starting 2 freshmen OL is even worse but that's the best we have and in a year or two those freshmen will be hopefully pretty awesome but they are taking their licks right now.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hes either hurt or mind fucked

This is where I'm at. He was so good in that first quarter against Bama and then he got hurt. He hasn't been the same since. He looks broken, either physically or mentally.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Maybe he’s neither. Maybe his head coach is a Buffoon. 

You're becoming a beating on this front. Barring something really crazy, Sark is here for the next two seasons. He recruits extremely well and is 7-4 (should be a game or two better) with a barely functional QB. Let it play out.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He had 2 passes over 20 yards today, the completion to Whittington and deep ball to Worthy that was well thrown but not hauled in. This was an awful game for him to try to get back on track, and the game script was not favorable for passing once we got up big. Cold and windy.

He made several good throws, converted some key third downs, tuck and ran smartly a few times and had no turnovers. Let’s move onto next week. Not saying it was super impressive but it wasn’t some awful performance. His real development, if it comes, is going to be this offseason. Anyone expecting some light switch to flick on at this point between games is wishcasting. The flashes are there, the consistency will need to be what comes next.

The ball that he threw late and it wobbled the entire way? Worthy should've caught it but it was far from a good read and throw from Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

The ball that he threw late and it wobbled the entire way? Worthy should've caught it but it was far from a good read and throw from Quinn.

He placed it well along the sideline. Not sure how the ball was late. A good P5 receiver makes the catch.

And not sure why you are mentioning the read. It was a designed double move to him all the way.

Why does everyone keep telling me sark recruits really well like it’s all him and nothing else that could possibly be the reason why people look at Texas and want to come here. 

Quinn isn’t barely functional he’s a fucking RS freshman quarterback who has the best RB tandem in the country and one of the youngest offensive lines blocking for him. And he’s being asked to throw the ball 40+ times in unfavorable weather and with Receivers that apparently have stone hands half the time. He’s not anywhere close to perfect but save the Quinn Ewers sucks or there is something wrong with him takes. 

You know what the beating is? Blaming a fucking kid who isn’t calling the fucking plays and is doing a lot of shit right instead of the fucking coach who is clearly calling shit game plans and blowing fucking games because he’s inept. Then telling people who have spent hundreds of hours on helping Texas be positioned in the best possible way that “he’s a great recruiter” when all the recruiting happens surrounding big announcements. Fucking weird how that works. 

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Back in normal times, we just kind of understood that this is exactly how shit works. We used to understand that starting a 19yo quarterback was bad because 19yo quarterbacks aren't ready to dominate complex, high-speed, elite D1 play.

We would want guys to redshirt, then play backup to upperclassmen so that they could learn all this shit out of the spotlight.

But here, if a 19yo sucks, he's doomed forever. And we'll just look to the next 19yo.

lol

oh look, another lazy take, bereft of substance, full of platitudes and an air of smugness. "geez guys, he's a freshman, he's obviously going to become a really qb eventually, and freshman qbs all suck and struggle their first year anyways. gah guys, it's like everyone has forgotten what we knew back in normal times." lol indeed.

first off, quinn is terrible. he is so far away from being a big xii level QB it's scary. he needs so much improvement in so many areas that i won't be surprised to see Sark go find a new starter in the portal this offseason, if only to allow Arch to redshirt. Quinn isn't just having some trouble adjusting as a freshman, he is nowhere near qualified in any way to be the QB at Texas.

second, we ain't "back in normal times" anymore. been that way for awhile now. this isn't 1998. freshmen have been able to be good at QB for some time now. i'll remind you again that at this exact same stage in his career that colt mccoy was in second place in the rocky mountain news heisman poll. that was 16 years ago. not only have there been plenty of great freshman QBs since then, there have been about a million freshman QBs who were better than quinn ewers. this isn't about him being young and going through growing pains, this is about a guy who is straight up not good enough to play for Texas. not even remotely close.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

oh look, another lazy take, bereft of substance, full of platitudes and an air of smugness. "geez guys, he's a freshman, he's obviously going to become a really qb eventually, and freshman qbs all suck and struggle their first year anyways. gah guys, it's like everyone has forgotten what we knew back in normal times." lol indeed.

first off, quinn is terrible. he is so far away from being a big xii level QB it's scary. he needs so much improvement in so many areas that i won't be surprised to see Sark go find a new starter in the portal this offseason, if only to allow Arch to redshirt. Quinn isn't just having some trouble adjusting as a freshman, he is nowhere near qualified in any way to be the QB at Texas.

second, we ain't "back in normal times" anymore. been that way for awhile now. this isn't 1998. freshmen have been able to be good at QB for some time now. i'll remind you again that at this exact same stage in his career that colt mccoy was in second place in the rocky mountain news heisman poll. that was 16 years ago. not only have there been plenty of great freshman QBs since then, there have been about a million freshman QBs who were better than quinn ewers. this isn't about him being young and going through growing pains, this is about a guy who is straight up not good enough to play for Texas. not even remotely close.

I don’t know if Ewers will be better next year or if he will be a bust (I think he improves and becomes more than solid but I really don’t know since I can’t predict the future).  You seem positive the guy will be a total bust.  How bout if Ewers plays well next year you agree to never post on this site again?  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

How bout pulling some game film and watching our center and both our guards block this season.  Ewers doesn't have plenty of time, especially on up the middle pass rushes and there isn't a ton of separation by our receiving weapons.  Bijan is crazy good but a lot of his awesome runs are more him then our great run blocking. The interior OL has been abused consistently in almost every game.  That shitastic blocking by them is part of the reason our offense has been so inconsistent to non existent in a lot of games.  You can also add in Worthy and other receivers dropping a lot of balls/running wrong routes and also Ewers struggling with throws and his reads.  You could also add in Sark with some crappy play calling at times.  Ewers isn't a surprise as he is playing his first year of college football so the struggles are kind of expected and I do think he will be better next year.  I also think the OL will be better next year which will be one of the reasons Ewers plays better.    

how about ceasing with this completely puzzling and useless practice of being single over backwards to blame any and everyone *but* quinn for quinn's struggles? forget his teammates- they have nothing to do with 99% of why quinn sucks. we could literally surround him with the 49ers skill players and all that would happen is that his shitty throws and inability to run even a fraction of Sark's offense would become more pronounced. the guy is straight up not good enough to play QB for any P5 time right now and half this thread can't even bring themselves to be even remotely critical of him. unbelievable. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

how about ceasing with this completely puzzling and useless practice of being single over backwards to blame any and everyone *but* quinn for quinn's struggles? forget his teammates- they have nothing to do with 99% of why quinn sucks. we could literally surround him with the 49ers skill players and all that would happen is that his shitty throws and inability to run even a fraction of Sark's offense would become more pronounced. the guy is straight up not good enough to play QB for any P5 time right now and half this thread can't even bring themselves to be even remotely critical of him. unbelievable. 

So challenge accepted?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I don’t know if Ewers will be better next year or if he will be a bust (I think he improves and becomes more than solid but I really don’t know since I can’t predict the future).  You seem positive the guy will be a total bust.  How bout if Ewers plays well next year you agree to never post on this site again?  

is that a fact?

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this isn't about him being young and going through growing pains, this is about a guy who is straight up not good enough to play for Texas. not even remotely close.

Overreactions are fun. Dude has all the tools to be good to great. He’s not there currently whatsoever. Players improve. Too soon to call it just as it was too soon to anoint him our savior after Bama/OU.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Overreactions are fun. Dude has all the tools to be good to great. He’s not there currently whatsoever. Players improve. Too soon to call it just as it was too soon to anoint him our savior after Bama/OU.

you're agreeing with me while dissing my take. you realize that, right? 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

what are you, in middle school? only hypersensitive man children make these kind of retarded ultimatums on message boards. can't handle someone else's opinion? need a safe space?

You figured me out.  I’m in middle school and need a safe space.  Good one.

• Haha 1

reasons people defend quinn ewers/absolve him of blame:

he was a 1.000 rated no.1 national recruit. that's it. that's literally it. people here have been jizzing themselves over this kid for so long that they'd rather delude themselves than just accept what is right in front of them. if quinn ewers was even a 4* QB who didn't have all the hype surrounding him for years then absolutely nobody would be trying to defend him, or what's worse/more annoying, just straight up ignore the litany of ways in which he is miles away from being even an adequate QB. like i already said: we could be in victory formation with 0:03 on the clock and a one point lead, and if quinn took the snap and ran out the back of the end zone for the loss then half this thread would run here and try and blame his teammates/coach for it. 

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

This is a dumb take. Colt was solid his freshman year. He was surrounded by VY's championship team. The line. Jamaal Charles. All of it. However, remind us what happened the next year when the line couldn't open up holes, and we lost a couple keys guys on the other side of the ball. I will tell you, 18 interceptions happened. Colt is one of the greatest QBs ever to play here and the fanbase was ready to string him up his sophomore year. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, shadow_operative said:

you're agreeing with me while dissing my take. you realize that, right? 

Show me where you suggested anything other than Ewers being a hopeless lost cause. Does suggesting Sark portal a QB or start Arch next season leave anything open to interpretation?

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Show me where you suggested anything other than Ewers being a hopeless lost cause. Does suggesting Sark portal a QB or start Arch next season leave anything open to interpretation?

you need me to show you the very post that you're quoting right now? seriously? i just quoted it to someone else up there page, what is it with you people?

opening sentence; "IM NOT READY TO WRITE HIM OFF EITHER." again, it's the very post you're referencing right now. of course you also somehow came away from that post believing that i want Arch to start next year when in fact what i said is that he needs to be/wants to be redshirted, so i guess i shouldn't be too surprised.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

reasons people defend quinn ewers/absolve him of blame:

he was a 1.000 rated no.1 national recruit. that's it. that's literally it. people here have been jizzing themselves over this kid for so long that they'd rather delude themselves than just accept what is right in front of them. if quinn ewers was even a 4* QB who didn't have all the hype surrounding him for years then absolutely nobody would be trying to defend him, or what's worse/more annoying, just straight up ignore the litany of ways in which he is miles away from being even an adequate QB. like i already said: we could be in victory formation with 0:03 on the clock and a one point lead, and if quinn took the snap and ran out the back of the end zone for the loss then half this thread would run here and try and blame his teammates/coach for it. 

Actually people defend him because he’s made some unbelievable throws. He’s also shit the bed. He’s over two years with no football until this season. I have no dog in this hunt, didn’t watch today, and pretty much don’t give a shit. But your black and white no shades of gray statements are untrue on their face. He’s an inconsistent RS freshman who has looked horrible and unreal multiple times this season. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It is one thing to give an opinion. It is another to drone on and on.

where was this opinion during the three straight pages of Xavier Worthy zapruder films and blurry bigfoot pics? oh those posts align with your views and therefore droning on and on about the same thing isn't an issue? got it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you need me to show you the very post that you're quoting right now? seriously? i just quoted it to someone else up there page, what is it with you people?

opening sentence; "IM NOT READY TO WRITE HIM OFF EITHER." again, it's the very post you're referencing right now. of course you also somehow came away from that post believing that i want Arch to start next year when in fact what i said is that he needs to be/wants to be redshirted, so i guess i shouldn't be too surprised.

That….literally isn’t the post I quoted. Other than that tho you nailed it.

• Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what are you, in middle school? only hypersensitive man children make these kind of retarded ultimatums on message boards. can't handle someone else's opinion? need a safe space?

If you’re unwilling to accept then deep down you aren’t as convinced that he will continue to regress.

Actually people defend him because he’s made some unbelievable throws. He’s also shit the bed. He’s over two years with no football until this season. I have no dog in this hunt, didn’t watch today, and pretty much don’t give a shit. But your black and white no shades of gray statements are untrue on their face. He’s an inconsistent RS freshman who has looked horrible and unreal multiple times this season. 

I keep seeing this talk about him not playing for two years. That’s wrong. He played his last HS season in 2020. He skipped his senior year of HS in 2021 and went to Ohio State. He appeared in mop-up duty in one game. Then he transferred to Texas and started the first week. He “missed” one season as a redshirt.

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i love when people say this, like i'm the one in here going, "WELL WHY DONT YOU JUST LEAVE THE BOARD FOREVER?!?!" i'm incredulous, sure, and definitely amused and bewildered. melting down? where do you see that at?

I think I know who you are. During the 2008 Tech game in Lubbock, I was in the end zone seats. I’ll never forget this nasally, whiny guy yelling the entire game. It was so annoying that other people were noticing too. Eventually, I looked back and recognized the dude. Is your name James because you’re annoying as shit.

3 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Sad realization.   I’m watching the Utah Oregon game and it’s easy to see that Rising has us in the big 12 championship game if not knocking on the door for the playoffs.  

I mean, you are correct. But this stat line so far did it for ya huh?

0B3954AB-8DB3-4437-A3CA-4F15BF80070E.thumb.jpeg.23c596c0cc8ffd9d660dee4a5ee63e1c.jpeg

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

How bout pulling some game film and watching our center and both our guards block this season.  Ewers doesn't have plenty of time, especially on up the middle pass rushes and there isn't a ton of separation by our receiving weapons.  Bijan is crazy good but a lot of his awesome runs are more him then our great run blocking. The interior OL has been abused consistently in almost every game.  That shitastic blocking by them is part of the reason our offense has been so inconsistent to non existent in a lot of games.  You can also add in Worthy and other receivers dropping a lot of balls/running wrong routes and also Ewers struggling with throws and his reads.  You could also add in Sark with some crappy play calling at times.  Ewers isn't a surprise as he is playing his first year of college football so the struggles are kind of expected and I do think he will be better next year.  I also think the OL will be better next year which will be one of the reasons Ewers plays better.    

One thing Ewers does do, for better or worse, is get the ball out quick.  That makes it appear as though he isn't getting much pressure.

It is only an appearance.  And, it may be that forced quick read that makes him tend to air it out to the deep man rather than wait for intermediate routes to develop, and/or making really tight throws on the intermediate and short stuff. 

On several of the early passes today, he exhibited pretty decent footwork, but then sort of lapsed into bad habits.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

He looks lost out there and it’s pretty easy to think the hype and the NIL money have gone to his head.

Hopefully the extra practice for the bowl game helps, and hopefully he dedicates himself in the offseason to becoming better. The beard and the mullet are only cute when the on field performance is good.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

someone forgot his last 3 games int he Big 12 last year, where he was below 50% and threw 4 TDs and 3 ints losing 2 of those games 

And Caleb Williams has leadership qualities along with freakish athletic gifts. He was also surrounded by pretty good talent and a strong OL.

You could tell Caleb elevated that team though. I think Quinn has that potential and I like the fact that he's getting more engaged emotionally, but it's long way to go to get to where CW is right now. He's got all the same distractions as Quinn too.

Early in the season, it sure seemed like Ewers elevated the team, compared to Card.

But, he's not a fiery leader.  I read some kind of profile on him from high school that even mentioned that and that he was "working on it."

Early on, too, it seemed like his low-key demeanor was part and parcel of easily "forgetting" bad plays and moving on.  Now, I think he may be just a little head-fucked, and maybe have some nagging injuries.

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

This is a dumb take. Colt was solid his freshman year. He was surrounded by VY's championship team. The line. Jamaal Charles. All of it. However, remind us what happened the next year when the line couldn't open up holes, and we lost a couple keys guys on the other side of the ball. I will tell you, 18 interceptions happened. Colt is one of the greatest QBs ever to play here and the fanbase was ready to string him up his sophomore year. 

In 2007, Texas went 10-3 and McCoy completed 65% of passes for 3300 yards, 22 TDs, 18 INTs. Is this a valid defense of Ewers looking like shit this year in spite of having Worthy, Bijan, et al.?

VY, Colt, Sam (limiting just to unquestionably good UT QBs this century) may not have dominated as freshmen, but they made plenty “wow” statement plays. What is Quinn’s statement, two or three first quarter completions against Bama? I am not rooting against Ewers, but I wouldn’t bet a dollar that he’ll lead us to the CFP. In high school he had unparalleled arm talent, but I never saw him find and throw to a second read. He often had wide open WRs as well. His technique is poor, and Sark’s Monday pressers and game decisions (never pulling him) make you wonder if Sark realizes it or is trying to do anything to fix it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet