Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i might be obese, but i don't go out of my way to make it look like i have zero self respect/don't take myself seriously at all. sporting a scraggly beard and a sloppy mullet like it's cool or funny is not a look that anyone can take seriously, especially when you're terrible at your position. you're the QB at Texas, and you're terrible. intentionally making yourself look like a clown is just a bad look.

why is it a white guy can't have ridiculous looking hair?

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In 2007, Texas went 10-3 and McCoy completed 65% of passes for 3300 yards, 22 TDs, 18 INTs. Is this a valid defense of Ewers looking like shit this year in spite of having Worthy, Bijan, et al.?

VY, Colt, Sam (limiting just to unquestionably good UT QBs this century) may not have dominated as freshmen, but they made plenty “wow” statement plays. What is Quinn’s statement, two or three first quarter completions against Bama? I am not rooting against Ewers, but I wouldn’t bet a dollar that he’ll lead us to the CFP. In high school he had unparalleled arm talent, but I never saw him find and throw to a second read. He often had wide open WRs as well. His technique is poor, and Sark’s Monday pressers and game decisions (never pulling him) make you wonder if Sark realizes it or is trying to do anything to fix it. 

Yes they went 10-3. Jamaal Charles was in the backfield and they still had a lot of talent. Colt's completion percentage was always high because he didn't make a lot of low percentage throws. He made his name working inside of his abilities, because he didn't have arm talent to make the big NFL throws. He still had 18 picks. That's more than an interception a game. The point was when you combine a bad O-line and an inability to run consistently, you get a lot of bad throws and turnovers from a young QB. 

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Drake Maye at UNC has 34 TDs and 3 INTs as a freshman with a 69% completion percentage. Miles ahead of Ewers who can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Great insight. CJ Stroud and Caleb Williams are also having really good years. I hear the Iowa QB is having a really bad year. Any other random QB’s you want to throw out stats for?

• Haha 1

@Thatguy

Why is it always someone else’s fault?

On the first one, We can’t tell who is open or not. The underneath guy is open the entire time. We do see that. The QB run up the gut is an option too.

The delay to Whittington will be open. You seem to be assuming that he feels the pressure from the left side. If he does, he should then feel that if he slides left he creates time to make the throw.

The deep throw to Worthy was at low risk of interception if thrown well. The DB did get a hand on it. It was in the air a long way though so that makes it more difficult.

His movement to make throws easier is not there yet. He’s not very comfortable. Probably for several reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There were a lot of bad and indecisive throws in those clips that a better QB doesn't make. I feel like his confidence is shaken to a point where he is overthinking every throw and doubting himself and the WR's ability to make a play.

The fact that he made some incredible throws early on in the season gives me hope that he will figure it out at some point, perhaps in the offseason but probably not this season. It's also possible that he never gets his groove back, which would be a shame. Sark should take some blame for ruining him. Shouldn't have asked him to keep making those low percentage throws when you don't have a reliable wideout. Sorry, Worthy is not a reliable deep ball catcher; he never has been.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

@Thatguy

Why is it always someone else’s fault?

On the first one, We can’t tell who is open or not. The underneath guy is open the entire time. We do see that. The QB run up the gut is an option too.

The delay to Whittington will be open. You seem to be assuming that he feels the pressure from the left side. If he does, he should then feel that if he slides left he creates time to make the throw.

The deep throw to Worthy was at low risk of interception if thrown well. The DB did get a hand on it. It was in the air a long way though so that makes it more difficult.

His movement to make throws easier is not there yet. He’s not very comfortable. Probably for several reasons.

First one you can see the peeling off of DBs and the techniques they are taking. Reasonable assumption considering the receivers we have.

I am assuming by "Delay to Whittington" you are talking about the end zone throwaway? The dude comes completely free. So let me get this correct. Rather than coach Bijan that when blocking a rusher off the edge you never let the them beat you to the inside, its your expectation for Quinn to escape the pocket to his left and throw a pass as a right handed quarterback ACROSS HIS BODY to Whittington going right to left accurately? No wonder you guys are pissed at Quinn. 

On the deep throw when he is letting it go he has no idea if Worthy is going to beat that safety or not. He tried a similar throw on the right earlier this year and the safety was athletic enough to close and pick it. The safe throw is outside shoulder and that's where he puts it. Then we blame the quarterback for the receiver not being comfortable or knowing how to catch a ball away from their body. Ball is in your hands. You can feel where the DB is. Pull it down away from them. Whittington would do that. 

Yes QE isn't a complete quarterback. He is a freshman. He will learn how to be more pocket savvy. His feet will get better. That said we shouldn't expect our quarterback to play hero ball. It's the line's job to keep people off him. People shouldn't be getting whipped like this with 3 and 4 man rushes. Want your quarterback to settle down and get comfortable in the pocket? How about not allowing guys in his face every other throw. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

First one you can see the peeling off of DBs and the techniques they are taking. Reasonable assumption considering the receivers we have.
  I am assuming by "Delay to Whittington" you are talking about the end zone throwaway? The dude comes completely free. So let me get this correct. Rather than coach Bijan that when blocking a rusher off the edge you never let the them beat you to the inside, its your expectation for Quinn to escape the pocket to his left and throw a pass as a right handed quarterback ACROSS HIS BODY to Whittington going right to left accurately? No wonder you guys are pissed at Quinn. 
 On the deep throw when he is letting it go he has no idea if Worthy is going to beat that safety or not. He tried a similar throw on the right earlier this year and the safety was athletic enough to close and pick it. The safe throw is outside shoulder and that's where he puts it. Then we blame the quarterback for the receiver not being comfortable or knowing how to catch a ball away from their body. Ball is in your hands. You can feel where the DB is. Pull it down away from them. Whittington would do that. 
  Yes QE isn't a complete quarterback. He is a freshman. He will learn how to be more pocket savvy. His feet will get better. That said we shouldn't expect our quarterback to play hero ball. It's the line's job to keep people off him. People shouldn't be getting whipped like this with 3 and 4 man rushes. Want your quarterback to settle down and get comfortable in the pocket? How about not allowing guys in his face every other throw. 

I had a different response drafted but thought otherwise. You have all the answers and aren’t really interested in reading otherwise. You made up a few things I didn’t state or even imply. I’d never advocate a QB throwing across his body or celebrate a missed block. I also don’t advocate throwing deep into double coverage, which if you’re saying the safety can get there, then you’re throwing into double coverage.

I’m not pissed at Ewers. I generally don’t react to players in that manner. I do see them positively for what they can bring to the table. I do not like people overhyping dudes. And that was done for Ewers based on one quarter of a game. All players make mistakes. Most improve over time. The double standard on this site is pretty astounding at times. The arrogance always is over the top. You make excuses for Ewers and shit all over Card for the same stuff. And by the way go review the deep throw to Whittington versus Tech. He didn’t pull the ball down even though it was on his hands albeit underthrown. It was a reasonable read even though both parties didn’t fully help each other out.

I’m not pleased with Sark because Tech and OSU maybe even Bama had a lot to do with his play selection. His play selection which can be incredible at times. The play selection against KU, which made QB play a non-factor whether it was good or bad. It involved Whittington at his strength. It involved Keilan. Lots of successful running.

I’ve stated that pass pro was less good against conference foes earlier in the season. Gave you some data. You shit all over it. I’d be interested to know our emphasis in practice. I feel like there may emphasis of pass over run blocking as the season has progressed in practice. But really week to week as pass pro was better versus TCU. With young guys, it wouldn’t surprise me that we’d over emphasize on a given week certain things so they learn. Pure speculation on my part.

I’ll try to stick to it and not engage you further.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

2) We are running a variation of a split zone rpo, with a backside slant. We run Outside Zone, turn the DE loose, and the H-back(Sanders) is responsible for coming across the formation and kicking out the unblocked backside DE. Sanders whiffs on the block, which means Quinn has to throw it right now or get sacked. If Sanders doesn't miss Quinn can throw it a beat later in the open window in the gap between the line and the kicked out DE. The free rusher tips the ball instead. 

Real time I thought this was just a horrible block/effort by JT Sanders and it seems so even more. But kudos to the defender because that was a good play by him to get his hand on the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

4) We tried to run that concept that was ran against us where a receiver runs up the seam to occupy the deep defenders and the receiver behind him runs sort of a stutter and post. They passed it off pretty well so Quinn just chucked it out the back of the EZ. For those that said he should've waited to clear, watch the rusher juke Bijan. If Quinn doesn't throw it then he is sacked. 

If that rusher isn't coming free and he has a second longer I think this concept becomes more open toward the back of the endzone.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I had a different response drafted but thought otherwise. You have all the answers and aren’t really interested in reading otherwise. You made up a few things I didn’t state or even imply. I’d never advocate a QB throwing across his body or celebrate a missed block. I also don’t advocate throwing deep into double coverage, which if you’re saying the safety can get there, then you’re throwing into double coverage.

I’m not pissed at Ewers. I generally don’t react to players in that manner. I do see them positively for what they can bring to the table. I do not like people overhyping dudes. And that was done for Ewers based on one quarter of a game. All players make mistakes. Most improve over time. The double standard on this site is pretty astounding at times. The arrogance always is over the top. You make excuses for Ewers and shit all over Card for the same stuff. And by the way go review the deep throw to Whittington versus Tech. He didn’t pull the ball down even though it was on his hands albeit underthrown. It was a reasonable read even though both parties didn’t fully help each other out.

I’m not pleased with Sark because Tech and OSU maybe even Bama had a lot to do with his play selection. His play selection which can be incredible at times. The play selection against KU, which made QB play a non-factor whether it was good or bad. It involved Whittington at his strength. It involved Keilan. Lots of successful running.

I’ve stated that pass pro was less good against conference foes earlier in the season. Gave you some data. You shit all over it. I’d be interested to know our emphasis in practice. I feel like there may emphasis of pass over run blocking as the season has progressed in practice. But really week to week as pass pro was better versus TCU. With young guys, it wouldn’t surprise me that we’d over emphasize on a given week certain things so they learn. Pure speculation on my part.

I’ll try to stick to it and not engage you further.

It's weird reading this response to TG. I don't think he has ever said QE was blameless. Seems like you're doing the same thing you're accusing him of doing. Frankly it sounds like you agree on your analysis of QE. You just disagree about particular plays. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It's weird reading this response to TG. I don't think he has ever said QE was blameless. Seems like you're doing the same thing you're accusing him of doing. Frankly it sounds like you agree on your analysis of QE. You just disagree about particular plays. 

You’re right in that he’s not saying he’s blameless. But there’s also a ton of emphasis on others failure as if making excuses for Ewers.

I do agree with him on a number of things, but he comes off a bit unrelenting on others. He has stated he doesn’t like Card. He gave him all sorts of hell on here and for some of the same shit that befalls Ewers. But maybe he relented on that thread some, but I bailed as there was no indication that was going to be the case. I get annoyed at the overly hyped especially when attacking the overly criticized. That’s on me I suppose.

And some of that difference of opinion does come on particular plays. We can all screenshot the hell out of plays but need to realize it isn’t happening in real time. And none of us are right all the time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

1) Quinn is going through his progressions. He comes back to his crossing route, which looks to be the only open read. However, Conner gets beat and Quinn gets hit as he throws. 

2) We are running a variation of a split zone rpo, with a backside slant. We run Outside Zone, turn the DE loose, and the H-back(Sanders) is responsible for coming across the formation and kicking out the unblocked backside DE. Sanders whiffs on the block, which means Quinn has to throw it right now or get sacked. If Sanders doesn't miss Quinn can throw it a beat later in the open window in the gap between the line and the kicked out DE. The free rusher tips the ball instead. 

3) Everyone is covered. Quinn throws this one away. 

4) We tried to run that concept that was ran against us where a receiver runs up the seam to occupy the deep defenders and the receiver behind him runs sort of a stutter and post. They passed it off pretty well so Quinn just chucked it out the back of the EZ. For those that said he should've waited to clear, watch the rusher juke Bijan. If Quinn doesn't throw it then he is sacked. 

5) Worthy gets bumped by a DB on the slant and got the call. IMO he should makea better attempt to catch the ball because you never know if you are going to get that call. Ball is high but if you are watching Helm whiffs on his block and the rusher is free and in Quinn's face. 

6) Overload blitz to the left. Two rushers completely untouched. This is essentially a throwaway. 

7) Worthy is open but there is a DB underneath the route. I have no idea what the thought was here. Maybe he is throwing in the only window he has, to the left of the DB and to the sideline. Can't tell if it would've been deflected from this angle. 

😎 On this screen you are just supposed to slip the block and not contact them, especially if you weigh 160lbs. This is KRob's fault. 

9) Steve decides to take a customary shot. Worthy gets the outside release they are looking for. Watch his feet. There is a safety cheating but the intial move tells you they are looking to get to the outside. Quinn holds the safety and throws a ball to THE CORRECT SHOULDER and Worthy drops it. Had this been thrown inside it could likely have been picked. 

10) This is bad footwork Quinn. He fakes the handoff and just flips it out there like he is playing 2nd base. Terrible throw. When he turns and throws he is accurate.

I think one of the reasons I don't lose my shit over QE's off throws is because once you rewind them you see a lot of time he has someone almost hitting him. So he throws a lot of balls where he doesn't step into them or he is kinda retreating. I think once we stop getting whipped up front and quit allowing immediate pressure his clock will slow down and he will start stepping into throws. 

1- Quinn double clutches the throw. Too slow 

3- This play was a killer early in the year. It has been a 0 the last few weeks, nobody open... #opposingscouting 

4- Essentially 3 WRs go out on 3rd and goal from the 10.. Real creative Sark

7- bad throw

9- good throw, worthy needs to catch

10- Lazy/rushed throw. These are the ones that drive you nuts watching Ewers

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Thatguy will say that Ewers isn't blameless and then write 10-11 paragraphs where he heaps criticism on EVERYBODY else not named Quinn Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Thatguy will say that Ewers isn't blameless and then write 10-11 paragraphs where he heaps criticism on EVERYBODY else not named Quinn Ewers.

That's because he is responding to posts that specifically blame Ewers for everything. He isn't saying Ewers is blameless. It is just a question of emphasis in the post. He is focusing on the reasons why it isn't all about Ewers. He specifically calls out instances where Ewers threw a bad pass and admits that he has troubled footwork. Y'all are just reading into it more than is there in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That's because he is responding to posts that specifically blame Ewers for everything. He isn't saying Ewers is blameless. It is just a question of emphasis in the post. He is focusing on the reasons why it isn't all about Ewers. He specifically calls out instances where Ewers threw a bad pass and admits that he has troubled footwork. Y'all are just reading into it more than is there in my opinion. 

He's also providing data to support his argument.  Most of the posts that are critical on this board are just feelings without any basis in reality.  It's quite entertaining to read.  It makes you realize that this site has a lot of people with severe mental health issues.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

He's also providing data to support his argument.  Most of the posts that are critical on this board are just feelings without any basis in reality.  It's quite entertaining to read.  It makes you realize that this site has a lot of people with severe mental health issues.

Providing data that supports his view, dismissing data that doesn’t.

Many see a coach with a historical track record of mediocrity being mediocre.

He sees a coach about to break trend and have his team “in the hunt” next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Thatguy said:

1) Quinn is going through his progressions. He comes back to his crossing route, which looks to be the only open read. However, Conner gets beat and Quinn gets hit as he throws. 

3) Everyone is covered. Quinn throws this one away. 

5) Worthy gets bumped by a DB on the slant and got the call. IMO he should makea better attempt to catch the ball because you never know if you are going to get that call. Ball is high but if you are watching Helm whiffs on his block and the rusher is free and in Quinn's face. 

6) Overload blitz to the left. Two rushers completely untouched. This is essentially a throwaway. 

7) Worthy is open but there is a DB underneath the route. I have no idea what the thought was here. Maybe he is throwing in the only window he has, to the left of the DB and to the sideline. Can't tell if it would've been deflected from this angle. 

😎 On this screen you are just supposed to slip the block and not contact them, especially if you weigh 160lbs. This is KRob's fault. 

9) Steve decides to take a customary shot. Worthy gets the outside release they are looking for. Watch his feet. There is a safety cheating but the intial move tells you they are looking to get to the outside. Quinn holds the safety and throws a ball to THE CORRECT SHOULDER and Worthy drops it. Had this been thrown inside it could likely have been picked. 

10) This is bad footwork Quinn. He fakes the handoff and just flips it out there like he is playing 2nd base. Terrible throw. When he turns and throws he is accurate.

I think one of the reasons I don't lose my shit over QE's off throws is because once you rewind them you see a lot of time he has someone almost hitting him. So he throws a lot of balls where he doesn't step into them or he is kinda retreating. I think once we stop getting whipped up front and quit allowing immediate pressure his clock will slow down and he will start stepping into throws. 

Billy Ray Cyrus Scroll GIF by 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

jimmy fallon reasons GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

one direction scroll GIF

• Haha 1

Quinn has been on the normal freshman roller coaster.  Looking outstanding at times, looking awful at others and sometimes just looking fine, nothing great nothing terrible.  Most rationale people even with his 1.000 or whatever the fuck rating expected this, particularly given the holes in certain spots on the team around him.

Going back to the 2018 season and looking at the final AP poll for each season and then the present one for this season focusing on those in the Top 10.  4 of 50 teams have been steered to an AP Top 10 finish/current ranking by a guy classified as a freshman (I ain't even going to worry about redshirt or not in this). Clemson with Lawrence (1, 2018), OU with Rattler (6, 2020), Ohio State with Stroud (6, 2021) and OU with Williams (10, 2021).  No other freshman QB who has taken the majority of his team's snaps at QB in a season has guided the team to a Top 10 finish/current standing.  So that's 4 of 50, less than 10% of the field.  Best I can tell 14 of those 50 have been Sophomores (including Sam in 2018) 16 have been Jrs and 16 have been Srs/Grad Transfers.

Will he improve? Who the fuck knows, but experience matters a lot when you are talking about getting your team into best of the best realm.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Providing data that supports his view, dismissing data that doesn’t.

Many see a coach with a historical track record of mediocrity being mediocre.

He sees a coach about to break trend and have his team “in the hunt” next year.

His posts have been about QE, not Sark. I don't see the connection you're making. If anything, saying QE isn't entirely to blame lends credence to the idea that Sark is at least partially responsible. I think he even called out play calling in one of those posts?  

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

His posts have been about QE, not Sark. I don't see the connection you're making. If anything, saying QE isn't entirely to blame lends credence to the idea that Sark is at least partially responsible. I think he even called out play calling in one of those posts?  

Where I am?

full disclosure: I’ve started to tune him out at this point.

14 hours ago, Thatguy said:

He's throwing it away here, but he might have been able to hit a window on the other side of the safety.  I'd rather him throw it away safely across the safety and give the WR a low chance at a catch than to toss it out the back.  Nit-picky.

This was fine from Ewers.  I just wanted to say the bump is legal, it's grabbing and turning the shoulder pads that will be called.

I believe this is the rail to Bijan?  He's under pressure here, but I think he could have done more.  He should have already progressed past Bijan given the coverage.  He maybe has time to step up and reset.  It's hard to second guess these, I just feel he gave up too quickly.

This isn't a gimme catch, but is exactly what people are complaining about Worthy mean.  He doesn't need to catch them all, but he needs to occasionally make a catch that is somewhat difficult.  It's a great throw.

Above.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, GlobalWarming2478 said:

Hudson Card has been screwed over for two years now. No telling how good he would be right now if he'd been able to play more. He looked good in his time this year. Ewers will be good in time, but we'll never know how things would have looked had Sark not had his head in the wrong place.

Card would have less incompletions and garbage throws, but about 3x as many sacks. Card was super sack prone because he doesn't get the ball out fast enough and instead of sark letting him run and break the pocket he forces him to self sack. Card can throw on the run with the best of them, he just doesn't have a really deep ball. 

Quinn can't really throw on the run per say mostly because he's not nearly as mobile, he can make any throw because of his natural arm talent, but it's more gunslinger than a part of his toolkit. There are some incredible throws that Quinn is making, they just aren't being completed so people just turn their hate brains on. He's a sloppy natural talent at this point, but he's gotten sloppier which is the complaint I have from the coaching staff who is supposed to be developing him. I think they are forcing him to play a game that isn't his natural game. They are making him go through progressions the way he's not really wired to go through them. This is what you do to someone who doesn't have incredible field vision like Quinn showed he had in his first few starts. He was seeing things that "just weren't there" to mere mortals and it wasn't on his first read. They are trying to make him see the field the way they see the field, but Sark was a shit ass quarterback and quite frankly I don't think Sark has ever coached a natural talent as great as Quinn and he doesn't really know how to let Quinn be Quinn while getting him honed in on the playbook and offense. This was also an issue with Card and letting Card be Card. Arch Manning is likely the first "wheelhouse" QB for Sark, but he also has to coach significantly less on the mechanics and game theory side because of the entire lifes worth of coaching that manning has received. 

A lot of the "headcase" nonsense looks like Quinn is trying to reprogram/relearn how to look at the field. When he gets to turn his brain off and just make quick throws/plays he plays like an incredible 5 star (remember OSU final drive before JT drops that dime of a pass?). It's like they are forcing him to relive his bad plays instead of just going over the film of good plays and saying, hey this is what you do right lets do more of that. You don't get any of these passes back, trying to teach people what to do based off of what they did wrong is the wrong way. I'm also not sure what film angles they have, but looking at it from an all 22 and saying "hey you missed this read' is not fucking helpful to recognizing what to look at instead of what you looked at and probably hurts more than it helps. Coaching out the interceptions or making him scared to throw balls that can get intercepted is also probably the wrong way to coach someone like Quinn who just needs to trust what his brain is telling him. Over time his brain will learn what it can and can't pull off against college DB's and LB's. It's a natural transitional step that they are force feeding in the film room or practice instead of letting him learn the natural way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, GlobalWarming2478 said:

Hudson Card has been screwed over for two years now. No telling how good he would be right now if he'd been able to play more. He looked good in his time this year. Ewers will be good in time, but we'll never know how things would have looked had Sark not had his head in the wrong place.

Glad to see the Lake Travis mafia still going strong.

• Haha 3

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet