Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Awhile back (maybe preseason) I saw on another website that of Big 12 QBs last year Texas averaged 2.72 seconds to throw. Lowest in the conference.

Is that a positive or a negative?

This year QE averages 2.47. Card 2.79. And since you are thirsty for knowledge Heisman winner Bryce is at 3.00 this year.

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Good. I hope Card sticks around for Spring ball.

Coachspeak. Him saying the QB competition is closed with 9 months before the ball is kicked off in 2023 would be dumb and stupid.

And whoever asked that question with 2 (possibly 3) games left in the season is also stupid and looking for clickbait. Gonna assume it was Bohls or Anwar.

Edited by Hookem2147

23 hours ago, Had Enough said:

You’re right in that he’s not saying he’s blameless. But there’s also a ton of emphasis on others failure as if making excuses for Ewers.

I do agree with him on a number of things, but he comes off a bit unrelenting on others. He has stated he doesn’t like Card. He gave him all sorts of hell on here and for some of the same shit that befalls Ewers. But maybe he relented on that thread some, but I bailed as there was no indication that was going to be the case. I get annoyed at the overly hyped especially when attacking the overly criticized. That’s on me I suppose.

And some of that difference of opinion does come on particular plays. We can all screenshot the hell out of plays but need to realize it isn’t happening in real time. And none of us are right all the time.

Look man I get that you don't agree with me and that's fine. I am not for everyone and I am old enough to know that. 

My defense of QE isnt to say he is without blame. He has thrown many a dumb pass. If you go back to the first game of the season I said QE has a gunslinger/Favre mentality so you are gonna have to live with him taking chances. That said I get irritated when people are making comments about a throw but don't seriously the missed block that affected it, or whatever. So I point it out which comes off as me saying it's not his fault at all to some people. 

Now the Card thing for me is different. We are not running the same O when Card is in there. We run a lot of 11 personnel quick game with him. Even then he is much slower at getting the ball out. If you are watching the line closely we are terrible at pass blocking in the interior Quinn has been saving sacks by throwing earlier than he should or throwing it away. It's not that I think Card is not serviceable, I honestly think he would be getting destroyed behind that line. Yes he can run, but not when the pressure in coming from inside. I maybe wrong but I feel like if Sark called Card's offense for QE he would be decidedly better. Sark is asking QE to make way more difficult, low percentage throws than Card and that's a lot to do with why he is struggling. 

Just my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

If Sark has to dumb the playbook down for Ewers any further Texas should just go to Wishbone and say “Fuck it”. 

Dumbing the playbook down isn't a bad idea, especially with essentially a true freshmen QB. If he was dumbing it down for a guy in his 3rd year of college, that's ones thing. 

15 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So was spystud a derka sock and I just never knew it?

Nah he's just a creep who stalks girls profile pages

19 hours ago, JBJ said:

Above.

Agree on all and to expound..

If he puts some air under the ball and throws it to a spot left of where he threw it there is a chance J-Whitt could've made a play. 

On the Bijan rail the safety is a position that would be perfect for a back shoulder. Bijan is the kind of dawg that can catch that Frisbee. Opportunity there that a more experienced QB might make considering who IA out there. Gotta trust your guy. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I mean, he is wrong in that first sentence? Ewers definitely is getting way more leeway than any of the QB's got last year, from the coaches and fans.

His relentless defending and promotion of Card is hilarious. Dude got burned so hard on that NIL deal. Wasn't it @RGBIII that said that Nahlin's source on the QB battle this season was Hudson's dad? 

I mean, he is wrong in that first sentence? Ewers definitely is getting way more leeway than any of the QB's got last year, from the coaches and fans.

Of course he is. It’s his first year in the system and he’s shown flashes and the perception continues to be that his ceiling is cathedral-like. And the only other option is a known commodity who’s perceived to be at of near his 8’ ceiling. Not exactly a hot take.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Card eats the ball too much and pisses down his leg.

is that worse than what we've seen the last few weeks?

25 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

And the only other option is a known commodity who’s perceived to be at of near his 8’ ceiling. 

lower ceiling, yes.  wins matter, though, and he'd have probably won games that ewers lost.

• Like 1

Look man I get that you don't agree with me and that's fine. I am not for everyone and I am old enough to know that. 
 My defense of QE isnt to say he is without blame. He has thrown many a dumb pass. If you go back to the first game of the season I said QE has a gunslinger/Favre mentality so you are gonna have to live with him taking chances. That said I get irritated when people are making comments about a throw but don't seriously the missed block that affected it, or whatever. So I point it out which comes off as me saying it's not his fault at all to some people. 

Now the Card thing for me is different. We are not running the same O when Card is in there. We run a lot of 11 personnel quick game with him. Even then he is much slower at getting the ball out. If you are watching the line closely we are terrible at pass blocking in the interior Quinn has been saving sacks by throwing earlier than he should or throwing it away. It's not that I think Card is not serviceable, I honestly think he would be getting destroyed behind that line. Yes he can run, but not when the pressure in coming from inside. I maybe wrong but I feel like if Sark called Card's offense for QE he would be decidedly better. Sark is asking QE to make way more difficult, low percentage throws than Card and that's a lot to do with why he is struggling. 

Just my opinion. 

As I said, I do agree on a number of things.

Sark does call a different game with Ewers, but I’m not sure that he should. A few specific plays, that’s fine. The play calls of each game should be dictated by that game. They don’t. And they haven’t for two years. That is a reason we’ve lost so many after having big leads. Whittington has been vastly underutilized over that time. Keilan disappears. Roschon too. With respect to inside pressure, that’ll kill any QB. Tom Brady for years shits his pants at the thought of it. No doubt Ewers is a gunslinger and Card is cautious. Both can be winners and a play caller should work within that skill set. But Card finally against WVU made a play in the pocket. But then he got hurt on a bs non-call. That game changed it for him. I have no idea good he can become, but he’s got great upside in my opinion.

I get your irritation. I get pissed about posters mentality of shittalking a player. The double standard ticks me off and little bitches don’t like my posting because of it. I’m also a little different in that I’m genuinely curious about peoples experiences as it pertains to their perspective. I like the game and try to understand it. My experiences I feel are a bit unique and it frames my mentality. I get no one gives a shit about that. And like yourself, I’ve watched and rewatched a lot. I attend quite a few then watch them again. There are specific things I pay close attention to so I get where you are coming from. But Again, none of us are right all the time.

Players grow. Damn near all of them. That growth is slowed when you Jack them around. New system. New position coach. Maybe even a new position. A freshman is dumber than a senior. Just using Card as an example, any reference to the Arkansas game, for a redshirt freshman on the road in game 2 of the season in a new system in which the entire team and staff are faltering is useless. Sometimes you need to let them grow. What you hope is that you can hide them so their subtle screwups get covered up. But it’s hard to hide the QB although the KU is about as good as you could do.

Since we can all talk tough on the internet, I will be there Friday ready to whip ass. Come and get it.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

As I said, I do agree on a number of things.

Sark does call a different game with Ewers, but I’m not sure that he should. A few specific plays, that’s fine. The play calls of each game should be dictated by that game. They don’t. And they haven’t for two years. That is a reason we’ve lost so many after having big leads. Whittington has been vastly underutilized over that time. Keilan disappears. Roschon too. With respect to inside pressure, that’ll kill any QB. Tom Brady for years shits his pants at the thought of it. No doubt Ewers is a gunslinger and Card is cautious. Both can be winners and a play caller should work within that skill set. But Card finally against WVU made a play in the pocket. But then he got hurt on a bs non-call. That game changed it for him. I have no idea good he can become, but he’s got great upside in my opinion.

I get your irritation. I get pissed about posters mentality of shittalking a player. The double standard ticks me off and little bitches don’t like my posting because of it. I’m also a little different in that I’m genuinely curious about peoples experiences as it pertains to their perspective. I like the game and try to understand it. My experiences I feel are a bit unique and it frames my mentality. I get no one gives a shit about that. And like yourself, I’ve watched and rewatched a lot. I attend quite a few then watch them again. There are specific things I pay close attention to so I get where you are coming from. But Again, none of us are right all the time.

Players grow. Damn near all of them. That growth is slowed when you Jack them around. New system. New position coach. Maybe even a new position. A freshman is dumber than a senior. Just using Card as an example, any reference to the Arkansas game, for a redshirt freshman on the road in game 2 of the season in a new system in which the entire team and staff are faltering is useless. Sometimes you need to let them grow. What you hope is that you can hide them so their subtle screwups get covered up. But it’s hard to hide the QB although the KU is about as good as you could do.

Since we can all talk tough on the internet, I will be there Friday ready to whip ass. Come and get it.

Not to bring the ire of @immamac back, but I found it interesting that both QBs are throwing under 50% on throws over 10 yards. That is not good from either. Card is completing almost 70% of his passes though, which means he was throwing a ton of short passes. Why Sark has decided to make Quinn the mad bomber (outside of Kansas game) and Card the dink and dunk guy is beyond me. Really odd when you consider that Quinn has played in some cold and windy games. I have noticed teams have covered the flats much better vs Texas later in the  season (game film can be a bitch), but still that is asking a lot. Sacks get brought up a lot in here. Card took a sack every 18 attempts this year. Ewers is taking every 58.3 attempts. I didnt think the WV game was nearly as good as other people. I though Card got extremely lucky in that game bouncing 2 balls off defenders, one ended up being a 50 yard TD play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Not to bring the ire of [mention=397]immamac[/mention] back, but I found it interesting that both QBs are throwing under 50% on throws over 10 yards. That is not good from either. Card is completing almost 70% of his passes though, which means he was throwing a ton of short passes. Why Sark has decided to make Quinn the mad bomber (outside of Kansas game) and Card the dink and dunk guy is beyond me. Really odd when you consider that Quinn has played in some cold and windy games. I have noticed teams have covered the flats much better vs Texas later in the  season (game film can be a bitch), but still that is asking a lot. Sacks get brought up a lot in here. Card took a sack every 18 attempts this year. Ewers is taking every 58.3 attempts. I didnt think the WV game was nearly as good as other people. I though Card got extremely lucky in that game bouncing 2 balls off defenders, one ended up being a 50 yard TD play. 

How much do you remind yourself that one of the Ting brothers should have ended our national championship dreams on a much easier pick attempt? Joe Montana and Tom Brady each have one less super bowl if defenders could catch ‘em all. It happens. When it does, you’d like a calculated risk like 50 yard TD or a pick at the goal line. You’ve commented multiple times that Card was not interception prone last year. He clearly favors ball security over risky throws in many cases.

Ewers decides and throws. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes it doesn’t. A quick look shows that he second in the P5 with over 200 dropbacks in quickest time to throw. He’s at 2.47. The Indiana guy at 1 is at 2.47. I’d take an occasional sack to get an additional big play. Both QBs are working towards the middle ground. We can hope they are anyway.

Caleb Williams at 3.29. Bryce 3.00. As other frames of reference on time to throw.

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Caleb Williams at 3.29. Bryce 3.00. As other frames of reference on time to throw.

I think this stat is a bit misleading since both of these guys scramble, use their legs to buy time to make throws/plays. More dual threat type guys.

One of my main issues with QE is that he doesn't make much of an attempt to extend plays by moving in the pocket or scrambling.  He bails on plays to soon IMO.  I know he is a traditional drop back passer but the better ones in that category still buy time by moving around in the pocket to try and make something happen. Seems like a little more fire/competitive spirit would be good to see from him.  He's just a freshman so he might need more time and experience to feel comfortable trying those things, but honestly I think that is just who he is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

How much do you remind yourself that one of the Ting brothers should have ended our national championship dreams on a much easier pick attempt? Joe Montana and Tom Brady each have one less super bowl if defenders could catch ‘em all. It happens. When it does, you’d like a calculated risk like 50 yard TD or a pick at the goal line. You’ve commented multiple times that Card was not interception prone last year. He clearly favors ball security over risky throws in many cases.

Ewers decides and throws. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes it doesn’t. A quick look shows that he second in the P5 with over 200 dropbacks in quickest time to throw. He’s at 2.47. The Indiana guy at 1 is at 2.47. I’d take an occasional sack to get an additional big play. Both QBs are working towards the middle ground. We can hope they are anyway.

Whether the defender caught the pass or not, has no bearing on whether that was a good pass or not. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I mean, he is wrong in that first sentence? Ewers definitely is getting way more leeway than any of the QB's got last year....

Meh. QBs that manage to throw 30 incompletions in a game should definitely get more leeway. Not sure what planet you're on. 

Edited by Wally Pryor

Whether the defender caught the pass or not, has no bearing on whether that was a good pass or not. 

I said otherwise? But QBs take calculated risks all the time. Any QB that ever lived. Risking a pick on a two yard out on 1st and 10 is not the same as taking a shot into the end zone from 50 yards out. Card didn’t get enough juice on it probably made it closer than it otherwise was. A decision made in real time on a broken play. Far more acceptable than his crappy decision ending in a pick at Tech. The reward in this case won out. It doesn’t always.

I think this stat is a bit misleading since both of these guys scramble, use their legs to buy time to make throws/plays. More dual threat type guys.
One of my main issues with QE is that he doesn't make much of an attempt to extend plays by moving in the pocket or scrambling.  He bails on plays to soon IMO.  I know he is a traditional drop back passer but the better ones in that category still buy time by moving around in the pocket to try and make something happen. Seems like a little more fire/competitive spirit would be good to see from him.  He's just a freshman so he might need more time and experience to feel comfortable trying those things, but honestly I think that is just who he is.

Agree. It’s just a baseline. Card is at 3.52 on deep balls. Williams is likely more than that since his average is that high. Could be better pass pro, more QB movement or several other things.

Alabama team passer rating by year, OC, and starting QB(s)

2014 - Kiffin - Sims (SR) - 156 

2015 - Kiffin - Coker (SR) - 144 

2016 - Kiffin - Hurts (FR) - 143 

2017 - Locksley - Hurts (SO) / Tagovailoa (FR) - 156 

2018 - Locksley - Tagovailoa (SO) / Hurts (JR) - 197 

2019 - Sarkisian - Tagovailoa (JR) / Jones (SO) - 200 

2020 - Sarkisian - Jones (JR) - 191

2021 - O'Brien - Young (SO) - 167 

2022 - O'Brien - Young (JR) - 150 

First, damn that's one hell of a stretch of good QBs. 

Outside Lincoln Riley, those team passer ratings in Locksley's last year and Sark's 2 years would have been the best ever 3 year stretch in FBS history.  Probably, not sure how to look that up.

It's hard to call a Heisman year a drop-off, but based on passer ratings, Young's 2021 season was a step down.  And judging by the dropoff from last year to this year, largely enabled by 2 first day draft picks at WR.  Sark had similar (better?) talent at WR but his teams were a lot more efficient passing the ball.  

Sark + non-freshman QB looks like a good combo.  Ewers is painful to watch this year but looking forward to the combination of Sark and sophomore Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

is that worse than what we've seen the last few weeks?

lower ceiling, yes.  wins matter, though, and he'd have probably won games that ewers lost.

The context was about fan bulletin board treatment of the two, not about who should have played in what game.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:01 PM, TheMailBox357 said:

Yeah, Ian Boyd ended up being right.

Looking at these numbers comparing Ewers & Card this season:

& seeing how much Sark pared down the offense for Quinn in the KU game, it's clear that Sark should've stuck with Card as QB1 after the WVU game.

seeing the numbers just backs up what the tape has been telling all of us. to this point in his career the guy has been a liability. at this point he's probably our worst starter in either side of the ball. people used to talk so much shit about mack and gdgd having to simplify the playbook for VY, but aside from guys who weren't actually QBs (eg Swoopes and Heard), that KU offense was the most stripped down, simplified offense i've ever seen at Texas. that we have so many people fervently arguing in favor of Quinn is just wild.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ryskey said:

Sark + non-freshman QB looks like a good combo.  Ewers is painful to watch this year but looking forward to the combination of Sark and sophomore Ewers.

our O line will be so much better next year, we will have lots of good RBs, we will have JT Sanders, Xavier Worthy, and likely a portal guy or two at WR as well. even though we lose Bijan we should be much better on offense if quinn can improve and be a different player next year. he's got talent that he's lived off of his entire life. if he can now go learn how to play QB at a high level then next year could be a totally different story. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet